Super Mario Maker discussion (update)The imaginary game that will get me to buy a WiiU - Super Mario Maker

hufferstl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
95 (100%)
I want a game where I can design and easily share my own super mario levels. I want every item and enemy from every game(SMB1-3, Super Mario World, SMW2, NSMBWii, NSMBWiiU), and I want to be able to place items with the gamepad and the wii remote.

I think this could really be a system seller - just include all of the NES and SNES games on the disc and develop a great portal for sharing/finding levels. If they did this right(and they would have to do it RIGHT), it would be amazing.

I want to be able to select the background music, the enemies, the background, ALL OF IT. And I want to be able to play as the mario from SMB3 on a remake of 1-1 from the original SMB.

I wanted this game when the Wii came out, but it would be even better and easier to use with the Gamepad.

Do it Nintendo.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a level editor for New Super Mario Bros for Wii out there if you look in the right places.

It's not official, but if you're really interested in it, it exists.

Yeah, I have seen some cool stuff on youtube with that, but I really don't know why Nintendo hasn't put some resources into this. It would help their online image and be a way for them to get $50 out of just about every WiiU console owner.

[quote name='hufferstl']Yeah, I have seen some cool stuff on youtube with that, but I really don't know why Nintendo hasn't put some resources into this. It would help their online image and be a way for them to get $50 out of just about every WiiU console owner.[/QUOTE]

Because its Nintendo and that's asking too much.

Eh, I disagree. Sorry. I hated littlebigplanet. I have no interest in making levels and I don't think that many people would really want to, at least not every owner. No reason it couldn't be a bonus part of another game.

There's always LBP, though.

[quote name='hufferstl']Yeah, I have seen some cool stuff on youtube with that, but I really don't know why Nintendo hasn't put some resources into this. It would help their online image and be a way for them to get $50 out of just about every WiiU console owner.[/QUOTE]

I think that Nintendo is fearful that if they give us a level editor, we'll stop buying yearly Mario games. Nintendo finally learned that they can churn out multiple Mario games a year and we're suckers enough to buy them all.

I think the second issue, from Nintendo's standpoint, is that they don't need to add a level editor to their Mario games because people are going to buy them either way. It's not like LBP where the game doesn't have legs without a level editor, Mario games generally have excellent level design (although I will admit, the NSMB games were losing the magic until NSMBWU came out). Why put extra effort into a title that doesn't need extras to sell?

I think the smart way Nintendo could do something like this is to publish a new Mario Paint game that has a level creator tool where you could create a 3 level series of stages (in classic SMB style) and set it up where you could trade the stages with friends. That was it doesn't really infringe on their staple franchise and it gives gamers something that they really want. It would probably be fairly easy to implement and it would probably push the inevitable Mario Paint Wii U release from modest sales to super successful sales.

The one danger, from a consumer standpoint, to level editors for Mario games is that I could see Nintendo exploiting this from a DLC standpoint. Want advanced objects, new suits, etc? That'll cost ya...

If this turns out to be true, I will shit my pants like it's Chinese new year. I've dreamed of something like this basically since I got an NES with SMB/Duck Hunt around 1989. Atari didn't really inspire me much before that.

The maker series, with the right online sharing/rating would be awesome.  A metroid or zelda one would be pretty amazing, too. 

If they make a zelda one, I will buy that day one. digital download only or not. I've always been intrigued by the fact Zelda was once a game that would allow you to make your own dungeons, then beat them. Been waiting a decade for them to decide to bring that idea back

I hope this turns out to be true, as long as it's done well this would have the potential to be amazingly fun.

If they make a zelda one, I will buy that day one. digital download only or not. I've always been intrigued by the fact Zelda was once a game that would allow you to make your own dungeons, then beat them. Been waiting a decade for them to decide to bring that idea back
Same here. I never get tired of 2D Zelda.

I really hope that this game is revealed and that it is the first game (that I can recall) that Nintendo absolutely nails the online.  I don't want to create levels, but I REALLY want to play them.

Day one for me obviously.   I haven't watched the Nintendo Direct yet, but I REALLY hope they get the sharing/rating system down.

Just an update(nothing from today's Nintendo Direct, unfortunately) - Looks like elements from SMB, SMB3 and Super Mario World will be present and some online features have been confirmed, such as level sharing and some way to know what happens when other people play your game(very vague info, I know).  

I was hoping for more info today, especially a release date and more detail on creation tools, options.

"They didn't screw it up everyone" 

-the word from many at E3.  I can't wait for this game, they have done so much more with it than I could have ever imagined.  Finally a game that justifies the gamepad.

I have to admit from all the E3 business this is one of the few games I'm anticipating the release of, should have plenty of longevity even if you aren't creatively-inclined.

I just wish they would say something about the Amiibo already. This and the Yoshi Wooly World ones are going to irratate me since I really don't want to import.

^^^^ your sig brings back such great memories! 

So guys, I think I am in the minority... I love Mario games (I have owned almost every game in the long-running series) but I *hate* game creators. I just want to play through a solid-made 80-100 boards, and try to clear them and enjoy what the dev's have made, I love seeing what the "new angles" are. Am I alone in this thinking? 

I have not read too much into the "game" because of what it is, but hopefully there is a way to just play through what created levels others wish to share with the community. Personally, I feel building levels and stuff is too tedious for me (again, this is just how I feel). 

I DO however, think it's great that the OP, and lots of you other guys are getting exactly what you wanted the Big N to deliver on! Congrats!! I just wanted to see if anyone else thinks like I do, where you'd just rather play. I am stoked that this is coming out, simply because it might push Nintendo to push themselves further once they see what unleashing this onto the fans will create. 

So guys, I think I am in the minority... I love Mario games (I have owned almost every game in the long-running series) but I *hate* game creators. I just want to play through a solid-made 80-100 boards, and try to clear them and enjoy what the dev's have made, I love seeing what the "new angles" are. Am I alone in this thinking?
Well, there will be 60 pre-made levels, and at least one of these will be made by Michel Ancel. I imagine Nintendo will have other notable game designers offering their takes along with their own staff, and with the online content being generated at a nice clip (potentially good quality designs from the community), there will be enough content for those who don't like making their games.

I'm excited about this game and I do sway on the side of disliking game creators, I usually get bored half way through making a stage or level. This one is striking a chord with me though, and my wife is equally anticipating it as the kicker.

Is this game worth the $59.99?? I'm having a hard time with it, even with my GCU discount. Don't get me wrong, I commend what Nintendo is doing here, and it should result in some cool community created stuff. But still, it kinda feels like a niche $40 title to me. I am by no means the most creative egg in the crate, but it looks easy enough to make levels. Personally, I'd probably try my hand at 2-3 levels then get bored, then just wait to download others stuff. 

Also, two things in particular tug at my disappointment strings; #1 It doesn't look like you can create a "world", you know like Super Mario World, wherein you have a map with ALL the levels you've created (that would be cool). And most importantly #2 There is no Super Mario Bros 2 maps or content (My favorite Mario title) Now if there was even the promise of THAT in it. I'd probably throw my $59.99 at it.

Anyways, just wanted to see if anyone else felt like I do. I've noticed the internets exploding with all manner of Mario Maker Hype train buildup this week. Any one else have reservations?

I wish it was MSRP listed at $39.99 or even $49.99, but I think Nintendo knows people who want it will pay the $59.99 tag.  No doubt there will be some DLC with this down the road, maybe even some freebies here and there, so a potential SMB2 theme would be a possibility.

I wish they would announce one with the 8-bit Mario Amiibo.  I usually hate dust-collecting crap, but that thing looks pretty awesome.  

#2 There is no Super Mario Bros 2 maps or content (My favorite Mario title) Now if there was even the promise of THAT in it. I'd probably throw my $59.99 at it.
If this video is any indicator, it will:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAvpdOMvkWU

Notice they have the doors from SMB2.

And Bob-ombs.

Need more convincing? Check out this video @ the 4:20 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afAZrvIGA8Q

Princess Peach's Game Over sound effect is from Super Mario 2

Aww man! Cage, you're giving me teh hopes. I thought the first video was SMB2 Mario sprite, but it's SMB3 I guess, but yes the doors and the Bob-ombs, and them talking about the sounds in the second, is making my trigger finger itchy for a pre-order. Thanks!

So is NA not getting the physical game + Amiibo bundle like EU is getting?  So to get the Idea / Art Booklet and the Amiibo you have to buy the console bundle?  For that kind of buy in they should of had a custom design on the Gamepad too, but maybe that's asking too much.

Its looking like the only bundle we are getting in the states is the full system + game download + amiibo bundle. And wven that kinda sucks, because you are only getting a digital voucher and not the disc game. I've taken September 11th off of work now to try to make sure I'm at the store early enough to get tge amiibo before it sells out.

There is a planogram picture from Walmart showing that they have spaces reserved for the Classic and Modern Mario amiibo separate. No game bundle, but could be worse.

As for the game itself, it's pretty blatant that DLC is coming. After all, you not only have SMB2 (which was used to fill in gaps for the other two NES skins), but also the All-stars version of Mario 1 and 3. And despite them not being sidescrollers, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mario 64, Sunshine, and/or 3D World skins.

Some reviews are being posted, at least one from Nintendo Life here.

What interests me in this review is the mention of the ability to record your own sound effects with the mic.  Is that limited to only the music blocks, or can you add these sound effects to other aspects, like when you kill the enemies, find hidden spots, etc.?

I could have alot of fun with that, plus not sure if that would carry over into the DL levels, hard to manage that and keep the E rating.  Though Nintendo usually has that rating may change depending on online content disclaimer at start up, so maybe it'll still pass it along.

Check out the GameXplain channel. They have TONS of Mario Maker coverage, including all the effects.

Effects can be added to anything. There is a level called Super Shump Bros. where every time you hit Bowser Jr. you get the cat's paw effect. He also added the Boss sound effect all around to simulate boss music. However, voice clips can only be used locally, not online.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VnZfJ4_1aR0

So, could someone theoretically just buy the game, and do nothing but play other people's levels?  I'd love to play this game, but I'm not sure I would be that great at the creation part.  I mean, is there a spot where all stages are uploaded, and anyone can download, or is it only sharing among friends?

Of course. The title screen even has "Make" and "Play" options. Hell, the title screen itself loads up a random/last played level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxSIV0A9NMI

There's also the 10-Mario and 100-Mario Challenges.

EDIT: OK, I was wrong. You have to finish making a Tutorial level before you can play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xCTW634iCM

​​

After seeing some of what has been made thus far, I have to admit that a lot of it is very creative, but I personally feel like I want to keep my levels a bit more simple and linear. Fun is essential, of course, but a certain degree of simplicity is something I have always valued in Mario games. A few of these levels on Youtube that I have seen are so creative that they border more of an artsy chaos than what I would want from a platformer. If I can design levels in the vein of the Lost levels (Japanese SMB2) or something similar, I'll be happy. 

This is definitely a day buy for me. Nintendo's going to have some type of dlc for it. Super Mario Bros 2 dlc is most likley going to happen. The 8-bit Mario amiibo is just too cool to not have. The sheer amount of level and 100 nintendo charcters as power up costumes just make this a winner in general.

bread's done
Back