* * * * - 18 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#29971 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAGiversary!   711 Posts   Joined 1.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2020 - 10:33 PM

Sounds like it was formerly a Redbox rental.

I'd buy more used stuff from GameStop online if they could guarantee the original packaging, I don't want generic cases.

Yea, tiers you could check on each game at checkout like .... 

Grade Deluxe - Original Box + Art / Manual = Costs 1000 points

Grade Collector  - Original Box = Costs 500 points

Grade Pro - Yellow sleeve with mystery residue = Receive +50 bonus points

#29972 detsportsfan3   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   145 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

detsportsfan3

Posted 18 May 2020 - 10:38 PM

With all these pre-owned sales the past few months and stores not allowing trade ins, I have to imagine pre-owned stock is ridiculously low (except division 2 of course). Wonder if we'll see a lot of trade in deals once stores reopen.

Unrelated, and I don't have the financial numbers, but to me I don't see why GameStop has so much damn merchandise. All these decisions to hire new CEOs and close stores, but the easiest one to me seems to be to get out of the merchandise business. Who honestly wants fortnite monopoly, a $200 DBZ statue, a random overwatch plushie, or funkos? Yeah, funkos were cool for a year or two, and people liked to collect them, but now there are so many it's overwhelming for collectors and people stopped buying - similar to amiibo. There's seriously hundreds of funkos rotting in every store. Merchandise in general takes up probably 1/3 to 1/2 of every store's footprint. I think GameStop's website is slowly catching on with these collectible sales and mystery boxes, but they need to stop buying anymore merchandise. Toys are so niche, it's why toys r us and kbtoys went out of business. Unless it's Lego it's going to be a tough sell to most customers, especially when fads end.

I would liquidate 95% of all merchandise ASAP and you can use the additional floor space to either sell older gen games or take in stock from stores closing nearby.

#29973 strikeanywhere  

strikeanywhere

Posted 18 May 2020 - 10:51 PM

With all these pre-owned sales the past few months and stores not allowing trade ins, I have to imagine pre-owned stock is ridiculously low (except division 2 of course). Wonder if we'll see a lot of trade in deals once stores reopen.

Unrelated, and I don't have the financial numbers, but to me I don't see why GameStop has so much damn merchandise. All these decisions to hire new CEOs and close stores, but the easiest one to me seems to be to get out of the merchandise business. Who honestly wants fortnite monopoly, a $200 DBZ statue, a random overwatch plushie, or funkos? Yeah, funkos were cool for a year or two, and people liked to collect them, but now there are so many it's overwhelming for collectors and people stopped buying - similar to amiibo. There's seriously hundreds of funkos rotting in every store. Merchandise in general takes up probably 1/3 to 1/2 of every store's footprint. I think GameStop's website is slowly catching on with these collectible sales and mystery boxes, but they need to stop buying anymore merchandise. Toys are so niche, it's why toys r us and kbtoys went out of business. Unless it's Lego it's going to be a tough sell to most customers, especially when fads end.

I would liquidate 95% of all merchandise ASAP and you can use the additional floor space to either sell older gen games or take in stock from stores closing nearby.

It would be illogical to immediately have a trade-in bump. The very first swarm of trade-ins will be from people who will be chomping at the bit to trade as soon as possible for various reasons (many because they are in tough financial straits because of Covid unemployment or otherwise).  These people will already be trading in (and probably a lot of them overall) without the need for any additional incentive.

When that first rush subsides, then they'd likely want to encourage a large trade-in surge with bonus programs.

Speaking only from a business perspective here, without calculating any version of empathy, as publically-traded corporations do.

#29974 zekana  

Posted 18 May 2020 - 11:47 PM

I was able to pick up my thursday order today. It was the 5 for $10 deal with 4 extra games for free. Everything was what I expected until I opened final fantasy 15 and learned they gave me the royal edition by mistake. That was a pleasant surprise.

#29975 tangytangerine   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4303 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

tangytangerine

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:00 AM

I was able to pick up my thursday order today. It was the 5 for $10 deal with 4 extra games for free. Everything was what I expected until I opened final fantasy 15 and learned they gave me the royal edition by mistake. That was a pleasant surprise.

They lump the Royal Edition into the regular SKU.   As the Royal Edition is just the regular game disc labeled Royal Edition with a code for the DLC.  That's why there is no preowned copies of the Royal Edition listed at GS.

Nier Automata's Game of the Yorha Edition did the same thing(code for DLC with regular edition disc).

#29976 zekana  

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:26 AM

They lump the Royal Edition into the regular SKU. As the Royal Edition is just the regular game disc labeled Royal Edition with a code for the DLC. That's why there is no preowned copies of the Royal Edition listed at GS.

Nier Automata's Game of the Yorha Edition did the same thing(code for DLC with regular edition disc).

Ah ok. That makes a lot more sense

#29977 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4460 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:49 AM

Trying to find this

https://www.gamestop...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's in town, but closed until further notice...

#29978 Rick Astley  

Rick Astley

Posted 19 May 2020 - 01:14 AM

Just a fyi- if u order from LRG, they are giving the soundtrack if u order the standard edition. The limited edition you get the steam pc key. The coverart is different then the retail edition. Nintendo switch is $35

Gamestop has the retail standard edition that comes with a Keychain and booklet. Nintendo switch is $40.
Not sure if the one at best buy is same....

Yeah it seems bestbuy has booklet and key ring too. I looked at LRG ps4 standard and I don’t see any mention of soundtrack

#29979 The Punisher   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4075 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

The Punisher

Posted 19 May 2020 - 01:21 AM

Yeah it seems bestbuy has booklet and key ring too. I looked at LRG ps4 standard and I don’t see any mention of soundtrack

Here is a quote by Doetmu.

"As a make-good to Limited Run Games orders, Doetmu and Limited Run Games are giving free Steam keys to all the Limited Editions orders, and all orders of Streets of Rage 4 will receive a complimentary and unique 15 tracks soundtrack CD of the game's OST including an exclusive remix from composer Tee Lopes.

We apologize for the inconvenience."

#29980 Bezerker   Bezerker Barrage! CAGiversary!   7071 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2020 - 03:10 AM

Guess my mall GS didnt make the cut.  Found out that even though the mall is re-opened and the lease isnt up until January, my mall GS is shut down permanently and all product transferred to other stores.

There's still 4 other mall stores in the area in limbo but if they're breaking leases on this mall which is a fraction of the cost of the Westfield ones, it's not looking too good for the high rent ones.  

#29981 Kurosaki-san   Steelbook Collector CAGiversary!   1421 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Kurosaki-san

Posted 19 May 2020 - 04:53 AM

got 4 games in from GS and some figures today *pics in pick up thread*. CoD: IW legacy edition came in brand new, no plastic but xbox seal in tact. Darksider genesis came in new, MH world complete and wolfenstien: old blood generic case. The DBZ sushi and sake set are pretty nice. Glad I ordered them.

#29982 mojoaoe  

Posted 19 May 2020 - 05:31 AM

My local store sells more merchandise than actual video games.. kinda blows my mind. Only time ive ever bought merchandise stuff at gamestop was a pokeball waffle maker as a xmas gift. 

#29983 jooksingjie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   250 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

jooksingjie

Posted 19 May 2020 - 08:05 AM

And here’s another 2 day flash sale on preowned.

#29984 the Gooseler   Damon Baird CAGiversary!   934 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

the Gooseler

Posted 19 May 2020 - 08:09 AM

Damn they must have had like one copy of many games. Had a bunch of stuff in my cart and the site went down.

Now its back and I'm down to two games in stock. It says that they are in stock in stores by me but those are all closed.

Looks like I won't be getting anything for now. On a plus side I got 6 out of 7 games complete from the last flash sale and my Darksiders Genesis' came all sealed.

#29985 The Masked Heel  

The Masked Heel

Posted 19 May 2020 - 10:09 AM

Guess my mall GS didnt make the cut.  Found out that even though the mall is re-opened and the lease isnt up until January, my mall GS is shut down permanently and all product transferred to other stores.

There's still 4 other mall stores in the area in limbo but if they're breaking leases on this mall which is a fraction of the cost of the Westfield ones, it's not looking too good for the high rent ones.

What location?

#29986 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAGiversary!   711 Posts   Joined 1.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2020 - 10:20 AM

Look like another B5 50% off promo for the next 2 days, not seeing anything super interesting left in stock. Doesn't seem to combine with any 16 discounts/promos :drool:

#29987 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 19 May 2020 - 10:22 AM

Look like another B5 50% off promo for the next 2 days, not seeing anything super interesting left in stock. Guessing it doesn't combine with any other promos

What were/are some of the games to take advantage of during the sale? I imagine just mostly Switch games correct? I can probably find 5 games I want and for gifts.

#29988 oakley568   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   166 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:08 PM

I'm going to pick up God of War, Batman: Return to Arkham and Rage 2.  Might get the HZD: CE and trade in HZD regular (it was free) when they eventually do a promo.

Look like another B5 50% off promo for the next 2 days, not seeing anything super interesting left in stock. Doesn't seem to combine with any 16 discounts/promos :drool:

#29989 camperinabush   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1341 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

camperinabush

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:10 PM

Sucks that pretty much every Vita title is sold out at this point...would have gone nicely with the promo.

#29990 Buc-ee's  

Buc-ee's

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:52 PM

Gamestop is definitely cleaning house with all these pre-owned sales. Just look at some of the TIVs of the games that are on sale, $0.01. When they fully open, watch them say no more trade ins of PS3 and XB360 games. Just like when the PS4 came out and they refused PS2 games.

#29991 tangytangerine   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4303 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

tangytangerine

Posted 19 May 2020 - 01:09 PM

Gamestop is definitely cleaning house with all these pre-owned sales. Just look at some of the TIVs of the games that are on sale, $0.01. When they fully open, watch them say no more trade ins of PS3 and XB360 games. Just like when the PS4 came out and they refused PS2 games.

Reading their reddit, some are taking trade-ins right now.  But like you mentioned, it's limited to current gen stuff with systems not being tested(just checked for cosmetic damage) and sent to the warehouse.  Any 360/PS3/Wii U/Wii stuff is being turned away.  It's also credit only(no cash).

#29992 strikeanywhere  

strikeanywhere

Posted 19 May 2020 - 01:37 PM

Reading their reddit, some are taking trade-ins right now.  But like you mentioned, it's limited to current gen stuff with systems not being tested(just checked for cosmetic damage) and sent to the warehouse.  Any 360/PS3/Wii U/Wii stuff is being turned away.  It's also credit only(no cash).

Maybe they'll actually open up some "Retrostop" stores like everyone keeps begging them to (and only those stores will accept older stuff)?

#29993 oakley568   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   166 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2020 - 01:53 PM

Went a little overboard:

God of War

Alien Isolation (missed out on $2 steam key couple weeks ago)

HZD: CE

Evil Within

Knack II

Sairento VR

Onimusha Warlords

Ghostbusters (GS exclusive)

Ghost Giant

Trover Saves the Universe

World War Z

#29994 TimPV3   I don't play games, I play GameStop CAGiversary!   3035 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2020 - 02:24 PM

I had a really good streak going, even getting some games delivered the next day (shipped from stores in the same state). But now everything is taking a few days to process, making me think the order is going to get cancelled. Also had this happen with my free games during the B2G1:

tKCUKRW.png

Waited an hour and 35 minutes on hold (luckily I was at work so it wasn't a total waste), but never received a replacement. I wanted to have a laugh about it on the subreddit, but I'd expect "you shouldn't be buying games during a pandemic" and  "we're under a lot of stress because GameStop is horrible but we don't know how to look for other work"

#29995 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   23558 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2020 - 02:59 PM

What's the ultimate end goal here? Wouldn't they want to keep those older gen systems going since the current gen (and going forward) are more angled towards digital? 

Maybe they'll actually open up some "Retrostop" stores like everyone keeps begging them to (and only those stores will accept older stuff)?

As someone who's ordered a few dozen retro games from them, do people really want this? All of the disc based retro games I received from them were resurfaced with their blender resurfacing machine which often damages the disc art (which is closer to the data and hence, more likely to damage the game)... not to mention I've gotten at least a few games that do not work. Carts often look like they were chew toys for dogs. I've gotten many fake GBA and DS games, which are a nightmare to return as the stores assume you're trying to pull a fast one on them. 

The only way I would go for this is if they started doing some actual due diligence on their end. Actually test/look at discs before sending them through the resuracing machine, verify games aren't fake, and most importantly, actually factor in box/manual in the pricing. 

#29996 jrc84  

Posted 19 May 2020 - 03:04 PM

Starting browsing the 50% sale and adding stuff to my cart...then by the end when I looked at my cart like "umm...this is all filler and I am just buying crap because there is a sale," so I am sitting out of this one.

Best of luck to those that participate! 

#29997 jrc84  

Posted 19 May 2020 - 03:21 PM

What's the ultimate end goal here? Wouldn't they want to keep those older gen systems going since the current gen (and going forward) are more angled towards digital? 

As someone who's ordered a few dozen retro games from them, do people really want this? All of the disc based retro games I received from them were resurfaced with their blender resurfacing machine which often damages the disc art (which is closer to the data and hence, more likely to damage the game)... not to mention I've gotten at least a few games that do not work. Carts often look like they were chew toys for dogs. I've gotten many fake GBA and DS games, which are a nightmare to return as the stores assume you're trying to pull a fast one on them. 

The only way I would go for this is if they started doing some actual due diligence on their end. Actually test/look at discs before sending them through the resuracing machine, verify games aren't fake, and most importantly, actually factor in box/manual in the pricing. 

My assumption is the hope of taking in new retro trades and acquiring better inventory for retro shoppers...little Timmy turns in a couple boxes of 90s console stuff in mint condition he found in dad's attic for some Fortnite coin credit or whatever...would give me a reason to return to the stores other than fat trade-in promos and return/rebuys to clear out or fill in items from these 50% off and B4G8 deals.

And I think you are right about digital...I am preferring digital to physical more and more...at least for the stuff I actually want to play. MS will probably burn us on it at some point but will I really care that I can't play that digital copy I bought for $5 10 years from now....I either got my money's worth or never got around to playing it.

#29998 Zipomatic2   Really, Really Cheap CAGiversary!   604 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2020 - 04:14 PM

Gamestop has been running the same "flash" sale so many times over the past few days, they should be arrested for indecent exposure.

#29999 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5579 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 19 May 2020 - 05:47 PM

Have to say I am happy with the current sale.  Lot's more available this time around.  Got a bunch of games. combined with the other 2 sales I spent probably 150 but got 25 games out of it give to take so it boils down to 6$ a game then.  My only regret is not being in time to snag xenoblade 2 for 9.99 on the switch since it's out of stock.  Come to think of it some of my ps1 gba ds or ps2 and other retro titles have not arrived from the previous purchases yet though.

#30000 Eutaoo  

Posted 19 May 2020 - 06:12 PM

Starting browsing the 50% sale and adding stuff to my cart...then by the end when I looked at my cart like "umm...this is all filler and I am just buying crap because there is a sale," so I am sitting out of this one.

Best of luck to those that participate!

That's part of the fun. I'd rather spend cheaply on games I want to play in the future now during sales like this vs later on when they either go up in price (like some 360 games over the years) or they don't have sales like this but I want to play them. I only consider old sports titles and alike "filler".