* * * * - 18 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#33211 Sparky01GT  

Sparky01GT

Posted 08 August 2020 - 04:00 PM

Is it just me, or have they purposely made it so that any DOTD game will no longer show up as available for pickup from a local store? For example The Council and Generation Zero that are the DOTD today. I know for a fact that at least two local stores have these in stock, and yet they are not available to order for pickup. I know their inventory has always been a little wonky, but seems that everything I've tried to order for pickup lately is not available. Even if I'm in the store holding it in my hand.

#33212 Sonic Boom  

Sonic Boom

Posted 08 August 2020 - 05:14 PM

Is it just me, or have they purposely made it so that any DOTD game will no longer show up as available for pickup from a local store? For example The Council and Generation Zero that are the DOTD today. I know for a fact that at least two local stores have these in stock, and yet they are not available to order for pickup. I know their inventory has always been a little wonky, but seems that everything I've tried to order for pickup lately is not available. Even if I'm in the store holding it in my hand.

Depends on who you get but one employee let me get the DOTD in store because I told him that I was not able to order online even though they clearly have it in the store.

#33213 Dojorkan   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   421 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2020 - 06:25 PM

Is it just me, or have they purposely made it so that any DOTD game will no longer show up as available for pickup from a local store?

Its not just DOTD, its everything and for like last like.... month and a half? Its been a while, way longer than it should be. They can't be this unaware their own system is screwed up. I kinda wonder if we should bug them via email/ social media.

#33214 thenadz   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   351 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2020 - 06:48 PM

Does anyone know if that buy 1 get 1 free Xbox/Ps3 games deal is online only?

EDIT - Nvm, I see now it’s online only. Disregard

#33215 jaide   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   367 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2020 - 07:44 PM

I'm just noticing as I was about to go to a store, but when did trade values drop? Anyone know if another bump or promo is coming? Doh.

#33216 tangytangerine   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4304 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

tangytangerine

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:05 PM

Seems their system is screwy with certificates right now.  Went to buy Control for PS4 new(that new Alan Wake expansion convinced me to buy it) for $29.99.   Used my monthly $5 reward, a $10 in store certificate and $22.55 in trade in credit on it.   Somehow their system was giving me either $1.04 or $6.44 back in trade credit depending on the order the manager put them in.   He didn't question it after I said that it could go towards a Crash 4 pre-order and put $6.44 towards it.   So there apparently is a bug in their coupon redemption.

I'm just noticing as I was about to go to a store, but when did trade values drop? Anyone know if another bump or promo is coming? Doh.

Do you mean the TIV bumps where New Super Mario Bros Wii was $19.50 w/ Pro last week?  Those went away on Wednesday.    Some are still somewhat high, like Star Wars Battlefront 2 on XB1 giving $13.20 with Pro(while the PS4 version is $4?).

#33217 jaide   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   367 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:29 PM

Seems their system is screwy with certificates right now.  Went to buy Control for PS4 new(that new Alan Wake expansion convinced me to buy it) for $29.99.   Used my monthly $5 reward and a $10 in store certificate on it.   Somehow their system was giving me either $1.04 or $6.44 back in trade credit depending on the order the manager put them in.   He didn't question it after I said that it could go towards a Crash 4 pre-order and put $6.44 towards it.   So there apparently is a bug in their coupon redemption.

Do you mean the TIV bumps where New Super Mario Bros Wii was $19.50 w/ Pro last week?  Those went away on Wednesday.    Some are still somewhat high, like Star Wars Battlefront 2 on XB1 giving $13.20 with Pro(while the PS4 version is $4?).

Not that game specifically, but it seems to be the same bump. I have copies of Breakpoint and Rabbids Kingdom battle that I was going to trade earlier in the week when the values were ~$16 and $20 if I'm remembering correctly. Ghost Recon Breakpoint dropped by half unfortunately.

#33218 tangytangerine   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4304 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

tangytangerine

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:41 PM

Not that game specifically, but it seems to be the same bump. I have copies of Breakpoint and Rabbids Kingdom battle that I was going to trade earlier in the week when the values were ~$16 and $20 if I'm remembering correctly. Ghost Recon Breakpoint dropped by half unfortunately.

I'm sure they'll do another soon, as there was about a 2-3 week break into between the last 2 bumps(where 1 bump was for 1 day only). 

Also, FYI for anyone looking to trade in games not showing up in the trade in search.   Google search for the product listing on Gamestop's site and check the trade value on that page.    It's how I found out they still take COD: WWII on XB1 for $2.20 when it didn't show up in the search.

#33219 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   5729 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 08 August 2020 - 10:17 PM

Seems their system is screwy with certificates right now.  Went to buy Control for PS4 new(that new Alan Wake expansion convinced me to buy it) for $29.99.   Used my monthly $5 reward, a $10 in store certificate and $22.55 in trade in credit on it.   Somehow their system was giving me either $1.04 or $6.44 back in trade credit depending on the order the manager put them in.   He didn't question it after I said that it could go towards a Crash 4 pre-order and put $6.44 towards it.   So there apparently is a bug in their coupon redemption.

Did you already know you were planning to keep or sell Control? Because it's included in PS Now. Pair that with other discount-resistant titles like Greedfall or AO Tennis 2 and you come out ahead with the subscription.

#33220 inkcil   Banception...Baseball Ban in a Best Buy CAGiversary!   1493 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2020 - 10:45 PM

Breakpoint (Xbox One) was $10 base TIV in June and most of July...it then dropped to $5 a few weeks ago when the game went on sale for $14.99.  When the sale ended the TIV went up to $8.  I was going to trade it in for $16 ($10 base + $1 PUR bonus + $5 bump) back in the first week of July but didn't.   Maybe the PS4 version was higher but the Xbox One version hasn't had a base TIV above $15 since early 2020. 

#33221 friggotha  

friggotha

Posted 08 August 2020 - 11:03 PM

I have suspicions that GS is trying to make more of their deals Online Only, and exclude both in-store shopping AND pickup services, on their "deals", to maximize profit.

They are realizing the true intent of the DOTD was to force people into buying other stuff online (to get free shipping), perhaps even buying stuff they don't really want.

Perhaps they want casual people who come into their shops to pay full price, while realizing that people who shop online want deals.  It's possible they don't want to mix the two.

I saw your post earlier today, and gave it some "business" thought.  Though we don't like what is happening, this might be a possible scenario.  I certainly don't like it -- I mean GS experimented with DOTD in-store last year, 2 thumbs up!!!

Their unwillingness to do it any longer may simply come down to $$$ on their part.  Q2 likely is not going to be pretty for them.

Addendum-

Bethesda Software sale tomorrow

bethsale8920

I'm not sure how that will work, since most of the games are already discounted...

#33222 Junkrat  

Posted 08 August 2020 - 11:59 PM

Next weeks ad (in store) highlights. 20% extra credit towards Avengers and Madden 21. $5 Extra when you trade in any switch game with a $2 base. $30 top trades NSMBD THLOU2 links awakening GoT Paper Mario. 4 for $30 $14.99 continues. Pro Day August 15th. FF7 remake $40

#33223 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAGiversary!   716 Posts   Joined 1.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 August 2020 - 12:42 AM

$10 for spending $60 certs have showed up (expires at the end of the month), don't work when added to cart at the moment....  :-

#33224 paul6   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   456 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 August 2020 - 12:56 AM

I miss the old website so much.  Much better search filters, 50 items displayed per page, no "load more" button to deal with, accurate reporting of store inventory, the list goes on and on...

#33225 jaide   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   367 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 09 August 2020 - 01:07 AM

Breakpoint (Xbox One) was $10 base TIV in June and most of July...it then dropped to $5 a few weeks ago when the game went on sale for $14.99.  When the sale ended the TIV went up to $8.  I was going to trade it in for $16 ($10 base + $1 PUR bonus + $5 bump) back in the first week of July but didn't.   Maybe the PS4 version was higher but the Xbox One version hasn't had a base TIV above $15 since early 2020. 

It was the PS4 version. TIV for Pro was 16 or 16.80 ish until Wednesday (I checked on Saturday) I guess. Unless it was Wildlands, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't since Breakpoint is still the higher of the two.

#33226 strikeanywhere  

strikeanywhere

Posted 09 August 2020 - 01:28 AM

I have suspicions that GS is trying to make more of their deals Online Only, and exclude both in-store shopping AND pickup services, on their "deals", to maximize profit.

They are realizing the true intent of the DOTD was to force people into buying other stuff online (to get free shipping), perhaps even buying stuff they don't really want.

Perhaps they want casual people who come into their shops to pay full price, while realizing that people who shop online want deals.  It's possible they don't want to mix the two.

I saw your post earlier today, and gave it some "business" thought.  Though we don't like what is happening, this might be a possible scenario.  I certainly don't like it -- I mean GS experimented with DOTD in-store last year, 2 thumbs up!!!

Their unwillingness to do it any longer may simply come down to $$$ on their part.  Q2 likely is not going to be pretty for them.

Addendum-

Bethesda Software sale tomorrow

bethsale8920

I'm not sure how that will work, since most of the games are already discounted...

Don't forget to include the kind-of removal of the inventory checker as well. In your scenario, it was probably "turned off" to stop people from using the online deals as in store pick ups. IF of course.

#33227 detsportsfan3   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   145 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

detsportsfan3

Posted 09 August 2020 - 01:38 AM

To my knowledge the store inventory checker isn't "off", it just takes the true inventory number and subtracts 1. Meaning only stores with 2+ of any item will show inventory. But that means it's pretty much impossible to find stores with rare games online.

As far as in-store vs online purchases and deal of the day, idk, GameStop is super weird with that stuff. Buy online, pickup in store sales do not count towards sales for that retail location/employee, which seems stupid.

#33228 ritchardf  

Posted 09 August 2020 - 02:41 AM

Battle rap By amiashilong3 - Today, 09:34 PM

View message

CAG, you a bitch to me
I’m an OG
Turnin up
Straight up out the streets

(Uhhhh)

CAG, what you know bout me, dog?
I’m dissing CAG with these lyrics

I’m going to diss these hoes and these bitches
These moderators want to ban a real G cause they caught in they feelings

Y'all deals ain’t shit
They all stolen from Slickdeals!

That’s where I’m gonna be at
The deals are the best and I get good feedback

Aircobra, ritchardf, friggotha and ThatOneGuyWho
We don’t respect you
These lyrics take a piss on you

(Yeah)

Fuck CheapAssGamer
Y’all some hoes

#33229 Assembler   The One That Gives None CAGiversary!   200 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Assembler

Posted 09 August 2020 - 03:08 AM

Man I hope that they offer controller trade in bonus once more before the next gen begins. Call of Duty is horrible on analog sticks.

#33230 aircobra   Banned Banned   3802 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 August 2020 - 03:10 AM

I’m not into golden showers, Dave.

#33231 Xenogears   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   531 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 09 August 2020 - 04:07 AM

I might have a guess why store inventory checker broke.  Right before it broke, was a B2G1 free.  I placed two orders that were partial store pickup, partial delivery.  One, the store pickup portion got cancelled by store since item turned out to not actually be in stock.  They still just sent my delivered portion, but I don’t think charged or accounted for the store portion being cancelled and refunded.  So I got a B1G1.  Adjusting the inventory to only show and allow pickup orders if it was 2+ in stock may have been their fix to that.

Had a great uniquely GameStop experience today.  Happened to find ys 8 ps4 in store.  I got it with disc and soundtrack, but no manual or case art previously.  This one had manual, so I decided to get it, keep manual and case, then sell the disc only on eBay and more than get my money back.  Cashier couldn’t find the disc so she just gave me the case and manual!  I was even looking at eBay to see if I could buy the manual and case separate, i would have been looking at $50 from anyone on there, so gave up on that.  That was a nice surprise for free, I should give a good survey for that visit.

#33232 friggotha  

friggotha

Posted 09 August 2020 - 04:08 AM

I am impress.

#33233 The_Central_Scrutinizer  

The_Central_Scrutinizer

Posted 09 August 2020 - 05:49 AM

We have a new XXL Freshman, ladies and gentlemen.

#33234 strikeanywhere  

strikeanywhere

Posted 09 August 2020 - 11:12 AM

To my knowledge the store inventory checker isn't "off", it just takes the true inventory number and subtracts 1. Meaning only stores with 2+ of any item will show inventory. But that means it's pretty much impossible to find stores with rare games online.

As far as in-store vs online purchases and deal of the day, idk, GameStop is super weird with that stuff. Buy online, pickup in store sales do not count towards sales for that retail location/employee, which seems stupid.

That's what I meant by "kind-of" or whatever I said. I'm fairly confident it's intentional and not a glitch because this has happened before (months ago).

Your second point is interesting, but I have nothing to add to it. I'm still in a relaxed zen-state after waking up to a CAG-diss battle rap in my inbox.

#33235 strikeanywhere  

strikeanywhere

Posted 09 August 2020 - 11:14 AM

Battle rap By amiashilong3 - Today, 09:34 PM

View message

CAG, you a bitch to me
I’m an OG
Turnin up
Straight up out the streets

(Uhhhh)

CAG, what you know bout me, dog?
I’m dissing CAG with these lyrics

I’m going to diss these hoes and these bitches
These moderators want to ban a real G cause they caught in they feelings

Y'all deals ain’t shit
They all stolen from Slickdeals!

That’s where I’m gonna be at
The deals are the best and I get good feedback

Aircobra, ritchardf, friggotha and ThatOneGuyWho
We don’t respect you
These lyrics take a piss on you

(Yeah)

Fuck CheapAssGamer
Y’all some hoes

I suppose that confirms the (aircobra's?) hypothesis that one or both of the recently banned was Big D. I wonder which one. I do love intrigue!

Anyway, the buy 100+/50% off banner is back everybody, fyi.

#33236 pjgamer007   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   536 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 August 2020 - 12:23 PM

I placed an order last night at about 7pm for over $60 to get in on the free $10 cert.  Checked it on the web site this morning and they changed the order date to today.

Did this happen to anyone else?  This seems really shady and probably means no $10 cert for me..

#33237 Ketsui   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1443 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 09 August 2020 - 12:27 PM

Gamestop weekly ad keeps getting worse and worse

#33238 Doomburrito7   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   138 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Doomburrito7

Posted 09 August 2020 - 12:29 PM

I spent $60 a few days ago by buying Ghost of Tsushima but I don't have the $10 active order in my account.

Don't tell me...tax doesn't count, so I'm literally one cent short?

#33239 jooksingjie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   256 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

jooksingjie

Posted 09 August 2020 - 12:38 PM

I spent $60 a few days ago by buying Ghost of Tsushima but I don't have the $10 active order in my account.

Tax doesn’t count

#33240 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   863 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 August 2020 - 12:39 PM

Not surprising, but I would call CS. If you are nice and persistent then they will probably add 10,000 points to your account on the spot.

As an aside, I bought GoT and traded pokemon sword in one transaction and a $10 eshop code with my $5 coupon in another transaction (same day) and received the coupon.