* * * * - 22 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#39151 User65536  

User65536

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:56 AM

Anyone on the GME ride? More profitable than flipping PS5s at this point.

I am. Bought a ton of stock back when it was at $5-6. The company was always doing well financially even when people were predicting its demise. I've learned never to trust public opinion when investing in stocks. It's actually incredible how much money you can make from the stock market.

The stock went up because of getting new board members and online sales were up? Total holiday sales were down 4.8%. No announced plan for increased profitability, new offering or improved customer experience, just hope.

Contrary to what most people believe, actual sales numbers do not affect stock prices by that much. GME reminds me exactly of another stock that I flipped for 20 times its initial value. 

#39152 ck0  

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:33 PM

I am. Bought a ton of stock back when it was at $5-6. The company was always doing well financially even when people were predicting its demise. I've learned never to trust public opinion when investing in stocks and it's paying off dividends. It's actually incredible how much money you can make from the stock market.

Contrary to what most people believe, actual sales numbers do not affect stock prices by that much. GME reminds me exactly of another stock that I flipped for 20 times its initial value. 

I remember that's when I dumped the stock -- when they stopped paying the dividend.

And if you think it's incredible how much you can make in the stock market, you'll also be super surprised at how much and how fast you can lose money as well.  Just as those that were shorting GME found out; you can lose over 100% of your initial position and end up owing and blow up your account.

Sales numbers do affect the stock price shortly after the Earnings call.  The rest of the time it just follows the index.

#39153 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:09 PM

I am. Bought a ton of stock back when it was at $5-6. The company was always doing well financially even when people were predicting its demise. I've learned never to trust public opinion when investing in stocks and it's paying off dividends. It's actually incredible how much money you can make from the stock market.

It's also incredible how much you can lose

#39154 salty tbone   Flipmode Squad CAGiversary!   3092 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

salty tbone

Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:14 PM

GME CEOs just left their offices and can be seen jumping up and clapping their feet together in joy

How many CEOs does Gamestop have?

#39155 ck0  

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:11 PM

How many CEOs does Gamestop have?

They got at least 10. /s

I mean to say C-suites

#39156 jooksingjie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   365 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

jooksingjie

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:47 PM

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but in-store you have to buy exactly 5 games to get 50% off. The 6th game rang up full price when added. I didn't experiment beyond that because it was like pulling teeth with just one associate in the store at the time. 

#39157 topchief1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   541 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

topchief1

Posted 14 January 2021 - 04:42 PM

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but in-store you have to buy exactly 5 games to get 50% off. The 6th game rang up full price when added. I didn't experiment beyond that because it was like pulling teeth with just one associate in the store at the time.

I had to learn that the hard way last time around. Fortunately, after the sale ended, i went into the local store and they offered to give me 40% off of the 4 remaining games that I had been charged full price for, so i was happy.

#39158 User65536  

User65536

Posted 14 January 2021 - 04:44 PM

I remember that's when I dumped the stock -- when they stopped paying the dividend.

And if you think it's incredible how much you can make in the stock market, you'll also be super surprised at how much and how fast you can lose money as well.  Just as those that were shorting GME found out; you can lose over 100% of your initial position and end up owing and blow up your account.

Sales numbers do affect the stock price shortly after the Earnings call.  The rest of the time it just follows the index.

The most recent earnings call hardly affected the stock price at all despite the slow sales. Either way, I made sure to sell some of my stock before the earnings call and rebuy the dip to maximize profit. I'm actually expecting a crash at some point, but it's unlikely to immediately crash to the value that I bought it at and I'm not too concerned even if it did. I already resold enough yesterday to cover my base investment, which is what I always do when seeking investments that can skyrocket like this. This was a no-brainer to me just like Nintendo in 2012-2013 was. 

It's also incredible how much you can lose

Yes, I'm pretty sure we're all aware that you can lose money, but I've already made so much money from a different stock (flipped for 20 times what I bought it for) that I'm effectively just playing with house money at this point. I can literally lose all of my current investments and I will still have made many, many times more than my initial investment. Furthermore, you should only invest what you can afford to lose for this very reason. Overall it's been extremely profitable for myself and many others. 

#39159 johnnymavrik   The Evil Genius CAGiversary!   896 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

johnnymavrik

Posted 14 January 2021 - 05:25 PM

Might have already been mentioned but apparently you can stack the birthday 20% off coupon with the 16% off code right now. 🙂

Good for single item purchases for in- store pickup.

#39160 ck0  

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:09 PM

GME hasn't been giving projections or forward guidance due to the COVID-19 disruption, so it's difficult to compare sales or other metrics from this time to previous -- add into that the next-gen cycle. Not to mention there could be other bullish factors, such as outside investors to buoy the price.

We're all in the bull market right now -- wait until the bear market comes.  The GME boost was a unique situation due to the short squeeze; not too common. You wouldn't have seen this skyrocket this high just based off the next-gen cycle.  

The most recent earnings call hardly affected the stock price at all despite the slow sales. Either way, I made sure to sell some of my stock before the earnings call and rebuy the dip to maximize profit. I'm actually expecting a crash at some point, but it's unlikely to immediately crash to the value that I bought it at and I'm not too concerned even if it did. I already resold enough yesterday to cover my base investment, which is what I always do when seeking investments that can skyrocket like this. This was a no-brainer to me just like Nintendo in 2012-2013 was. 

Yes, I'm pretty sure we're all aware that you can lose money, but I've already made so much money from a different stock (flipped for 20 times what I bought it for) that I'm effectively just playing with house money at this point. I can literally lose all of my current investments and I will still have made many, many times more than my initial investment. Furthermore, you should only invest what you can afford to lose for this very reason. Overall it's been extremely profitable for myself and many others. 

#39161 anotherpoorgamer   Bird's Nest Hair CAGiversary!   5568 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

anotherpoorgamer

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:41 PM

Dang, you all are flipping stocks?!  Here I am, can't even afford to flip PS5s.

I've clearly made some poor financial decisions in life.

#39162 User65536  

User65536

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:47 PM

GME hasn't been giving projections or forward guidance due to the COVID-19 disruption, so it's difficult to compare sales or other metrics from this time to previous -- add into that the next-gen cycle. Not to mention there could be other bullish factors, such as outside investors to buoy the price.

We're all in the bull market right now -- wait until the bear market comes.  The GME boost was a unique situation due to the short squeeze; not too common. You wouldn't have seen this skyrocket this high just based off the next-gen cycle.

I don’t think anyone expected a surge of this magnitude and I’m not sure where you got that impression from my posts. I was initially expecting to sell at the $15 price point, which was after the release of the consoles and before the Ryan Cohen involvement. I decided to sell today at $39 because I’m now at an inflection point where the upside might not be worth the potential loss from a crash. I’ve almost octupled my original investment at the $5 value just a few months ago, so I would say this was well worth the risk.

#39163 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAGiversary!   905 Posts   Joined 1.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:20 PM

I bought GME end of Feb last year, so will sell around March 1st to reduce my tax load! (I'm cheap-ass trader too!) I'm not cool enough to do all the wallstreetbets shenanigans, as the bulk of my funds are in tech / index as that is all I usually feel comfortable with as a salaried grunt working from home and sitting in meetings all day while farming Minecraft Dunegons for a specific armor for my youngest.  :oldman:  

On topic - my last copies of Street Power Soccer came after a almost a week of pre-shipment - luckily USPS distribution centers are going much faster now. All the XBOX copies were still sealed - PS4 missing shrink wrap. Would buy another 4² DotD again!  :bouncy:

Mystery Box #40 is terrible...

#39164 mchittumjr  

Posted 15 January 2021 - 12:22 AM

Demon Souls trades for 37.50 after bonus/pur. FYI

#39165 Shojsauce   Owner of RewindReview CAGiversary!   1121 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:06 AM

for anybody considering doing the buy 5 under 30 save 50% remember to actually check your games when they come in. I ordered a yugioh game and Paw Patrol on a roll was in the case instead. 

#39166 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5894 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:26 AM

Wow my order from december 9th finally came. All the games came in their cases with cover art and such.  The one game was new surprisingly.  I guess they must have converted it to used. It was odd that it didn't have a single sticker on it though.  But anywho just glad I got seven deadly sins and the dbz card game since those 2 were the big wants of that order and the former was a dotd so I don't think i'd be able to get it on sale again.

Also came in a bubble mailer today was dmc5 from the current 50% off promo. Came with its case and such as well. So batting 6 for 6 is pretty impressive.  Still have 16 more titles from the current order still coming in though but at least that finished off all the nov-dec 50% off games from the last round.

#39167 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5894 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:27 AM

for anybody considering doing the buy 5 under 30 save 50% remember to actually check your games when they come in. I ordered a yugioh game and Paw Patrol on a roll was in the case instead. 

That sucks.  I've been lucky so far to not run into that issue. Surprised that happened with yugioh though of all things. 

#39168 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   3962 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:47 AM

How do you even scratch a disc like this.

Doubting I'll even be able to trade it in.

Do they do refurb fees on this sort of thing?

20210114-193735.jpg

#39169 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3907 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:50 AM

20210114-193735.jpg

Yeah just tell them it doesn't work and show them that. They'll swap it for sure as long as you have a receipt and are within 30 days.

#39170 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   921 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:49 PM

Demon Souls trades for 37.50 after bonus/pur. FYI

Thanks for sharing.

$25 base for $70 ps5 games is too low...should be $35 base which would be more with just pro 10% ($38.50)

I’d consider trading a new release ps5 game back for $48.50...$37.50 is a disappointment imo

#39171 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:26 PM

They will if they notice it.  It's probably their god-awful refurb machines that did it.  That game specifically I've seen this problem with lately.  If you can return it, I'd just do that.

#39172 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:31 PM

I bought GME end of Feb last year, so will sell around March 1st to reduce my tax load! (I'm cheap-ass trader too!) I'm not cool enough to do all the wallstreetbets shenanigans, as the bulk of my funds are in tech / index as that is all I usually feel comfortable with as a salaried grunt working from home and sitting in meetings all day while farming Minecraft Dunegons for a specific armor for my youngest.  :oldman:  

On topic - my last copies of Street Power Soccer came after a almost a week of pre-shipment - luckily USPS distribution centers are going much faster now. All the XBOX copies were still sealed - PS4 missing shrink wrap. Would buy another 4² DotD again!  :bouncy:

Mystery Box #40 is terrible...

Depends on your personal highest tax bracket.  If you're in the middle, the savings from income to capital gains may not be worth it with a volatile stock that could drop.

*I'm not a tax lawyer, so do not take this as tax or legal advice.

#39173 WeaponX2099   All Caps when you remember the man's name CAGiversary!   5570 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

WeaponX2099

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:29 PM

Has anyone tried to use any certs at closing stores? 

#39174 jooksingjie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   365 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

jooksingjie

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:46 PM

The discount will override your cert/coupon. for example, a $10 code instead becomes $3 discount at 70% off

#39175 Squidfinity  

Squidfinity

Posted 15 January 2021 - 06:11 PM

Tried to use a $10 on 1 physical PSN card at mine, which ordinarily works, and no dice.

#39176 WeaponX2099   All Caps when you remember the man's name CAGiversary!   5570 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

WeaponX2099

Posted 15 January 2021 - 06:17 PM

okay cool 

The discount will override your cert/coupon. for example, a $10 code instead becomes $3 discount at 70% off

#39177 heatdolphins45   Wade County CAG CAGiversary!   4321 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

heatdolphins45

Posted 16 January 2021 - 04:57 AM

Looks like most values haven't changed as we head into the last day of the extra $5 credit. God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn still at $4 base. 

#39178 thenadz   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   389 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2021 - 05:18 AM

The GS salespeople are less lenient about manually adding the $5 bonus for games this time around. They did it for me when Nioh 2 didn’t automatically apply the $5 bonus 2 weeks ago, but this time when Puyo Puyo switch came up as $11 and had no bonus, they said ‘it only applies to games over $20 or on the most wanted list’.

I want to say they made it up but two different stores told me the same thing

#39179 Troblin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   185 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2021 - 05:29 AM

The GS salespeople are less lenient about manually adding the $5 bonus for games this time around. They did it for me when Nioh 2 didn’t automatically apply the $5 bonus 2 weeks ago, but this time when Puyo Puyo switch came up as $11 and had no bonus, they said ‘it only applies to games over $20 or on the most wanted list’.

I want to say they made it up but two different stores told me the same thing

Yea, i got denied on the manual +5 bump at my primary gamestop today. The S/L said that "select games" gives Gamestop the autonomy to pick and choose which ones get the +5 bonus.

I wasn't too mad about it, since they cool people and let me slide with a lot of other things.

#39180 Strider Turbulence EX  

Strider Turbulence EX

Posted 16 January 2021 - 05:53 AM

Looks like most values haven't changed as we head into the last day of the extra $5 credit. God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn still at $4 base. 

Goddamit, I was hoping this ends Sunday.  I gotta work tomorrow and can't get to a GS since they open at noon for whatever reason.