* * * * - 23 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#41851 Tyga24   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1217 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:26 PM

Is the 50% extra trade credit still going on?

#41852 Vigilante   poyo CAGiversary!   38000 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:29 PM

Is the 50% extra trade credit still going on?

Yes.

#41853 Tyga24   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1217 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for the quick response.

I also meant to ask how long its supposed to run until as not sure I'll be able to head to my Gamestop today

#41854 Kuros   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1607 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for the quick response.

I also meant to ask how long its supposed to run until as not sure I'll be able to head to my Gamestop today

https://www.gamestop.com/weekly-ad

#41855 Xenogears   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   716 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 20 April 2021 - 06:20 PM

When they actually had retro stuff I bought a bunch of games and had several wtf moments including a ps1 disc split like pac man. I returned hundreds of dollars worth of junk/defective stuff and did not have any issues. Eventually I got sick of the random condition lottery and stopped ordering retro stuff. I did get a copy of Xenogears in okay shape with case, cover art (with a little moisture damage) for $10 so there were some wins that kept me playing longer than I should have.

A few random returns should not cause any red flags, that said there seem to be unexplained bans going around so who knows.

Yeah, this last year I was doing similar.  I would have liked retro, but kept it to stuff that had a reasonable chance to come complete.  During their 50% off sales, got mostly ps4 and switch games for really good prices.  I had previously avoided GameStop because I wanted stuff decent condition and complete, but my first orders went surprisingly well, so I got sucked into “completing” a collection I’ll never play once I got started.  Seeing stock dwindle, felt like a now or never kind of thing.  Limited run FOMO mindset BS finally caught up to me I guess.  I’m still happy with what I got overall, and it was discount price FOMO instead of inflated price FOMO at least, but was a pain with all the returns.  Not ideal for GameStop or the cashiers that started to recognize me I’m sure, but they made a good profit still.

I ended up having to get 1-3 copies of most things.  I would return the incomplete copies and try again, I have no idea how many, probably 50-100 returns overall.  I haven’t gotten much for months, I’m pretty done, but decided to try one more game last week.  That has been a nightmare, sent me empty case twice.  There were a few comments from stores that make me think there are probably some kind of notes or flag on my account, just from so many returns, not thrilled about adding two missing game claims to that now as well.  No ban or anything other than a few offhand comments to make me think that though.

i’ve been doing more returns with Amazon and other retailers as well recently.  If they don’t want to pack items anymore, fine, I get it’s all about efficiency now, but it’s going back if it arrives beat up or not as described.  Amazon warehouse tries to list condition descriptions, but they are a complete joke.  I received a book “like new” with no imperfections noted, literally ripped in half along the binding, a pile of loose pages stuck in a plastic bag with an “inspected by Amazon” sticker.  If GameStop tries a condition rating system, I imagine it would be similar.  If Chewy customer service is as good as they say, and that can be applied to GameStop, that would be nice, but we gotta pay for it...and the only reason I shopped at GameStop was the good prices, so will see how that works out.  Though based on my recent experience, GameStop has seriously gone downhill since my big orders months ago.

#41856 jooksingjie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   477 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

jooksingjie

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:59 AM

MLB The Show 21 G2L code EBC 3066253 expires 6/22

Looks like they didn't screw it up.  

#41857 AnubisRW   Magnificent Bastard CAGiversary!   109 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

AnubisRW

Posted 21 April 2021 - 07:20 AM

Stupid question time from a trade in rookie: Do the prices quoted on the trade in page of Gamestop.com reflect the 50% bonus?  Or when I get to the store is it a 50% bonus on top of it?

#41858 Hypebeast69  

Hypebeast69

Posted 21 April 2021 - 07:31 AM

Stupid question time from a trade in rookie: Do the prices quoted on the trade in page of Gamestop.com reflect the 50% bonus? Or when I get to the store is it a 50% bonus on top of it?

Calculate it from the base value x 1.5

#41859 DrBayrd  

Posted 21 April 2021 - 08:58 AM

Thanks, I presume you mean expires 4/22

#41860 johndoe8865os   Old Bastard CAG in Training   3 Posts   Joined 4.4 Years Ago  

johndoe8865os

Posted 21 April 2021 - 03:26 PM

What is this code? Is this Game Coin or something else?

#41861 Vigilante   poyo CAGiversary!   38000 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2021 - 03:38 PM

What is this code? Is this Game Coin or something else?

It's for the Guaranteed 2 Love promo, where you can trade the game back in to GS within 48 hours of its release date to get $59.99 in trade credit. The employee enters the code to boost the value from its base TIV to $59.99.

#41862 iamsmart2  

iamsmart2

Posted 21 April 2021 - 03:50 PM

It's for the Guaranteed 2 Love promo, where you can trade the game back in to GS within 48 hours of its release date to get $59.99 in trade credit. The employee enters the code to boost the value from its base TIV to $59.99.

I never really understood why people on here are always asking about G2L - do people take advantage of preorder trade bonuses and then immediately return the game or something?

#41863 PS5XBOXSERIESX  

PS5XBOXSERIESX

Posted 21 April 2021 - 03:53 PM

I never really understood why people on here are always asking about G2L - do people take advantage of preorder trade bonuses and then immediately return the game or something?

Helps burn certificates and you get a lot of points.

#41864 briandadude   Vita + Xbox + Switch CAGiversary!   1302 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

briandadude

Posted 21 April 2021 - 04:07 PM

I’ve never used G2L but it sure sounds like an easy way to identify people that are trying to game the system. More than 2 G2L trades in a year and I would ban you. 😁

#41865 sr_388   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   239 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2021 - 04:34 PM

I’m pretty sure the employees would prefer us to use G2L instead of canceling preorders. Everyone has always been very friendly when I’ve done it.

#41866 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAGiversary!   1107 Posts   Joined 1.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2021 - 04:56 PM

Gamestop buys game wholesale for $50. Sells it to you for 60 cash. G2L it for 60 credit. Sells preowned for $55. 

2 happy customers for 1 game. What's to flag? (unless you G2L 4 copies of Cyberpunk off one receipt I guess?)  :shock: 

#41867 briandadude   Vita + Xbox + Switch CAGiversary!   1302 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

briandadude

Posted 21 April 2021 - 06:02 PM

I thought giving points for the purchase and points for the G2L trade in + refunding the purchase price + credit card transaction fees (if applicable) would be a net loss for GS. They might end up getting less than $5 under MSRP for preowned after promo deals.

#41868 Phi  

Posted 21 April 2021 - 06:48 PM

I thought giving points for the purchase and points for the G2L trade in + refunding the purchase price + credit card transaction fees (if applicable) would be a net loss for GS. They might end up getting less than $5 under MSRP for preowned after promo deals.

I kind of did the math, and it'd probably be break-even. I don't think this will really save or destroy the company as in the business they are in, you make a lot of revenue usually on used games etc, but there are situations where you probably don't make much profit, too.

#41869 Xenogears   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   716 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2021 - 07:33 PM

Not that anyone here knows for sure, but in the end I think if GameStop is still making a decent overall profit off you, your safe as long as no fraud or theft is involved.  You are still just a customer looking for a good deal rather than primarily being in it to exploit them and make money.  G2L is a weird promo, not sure how its anything but a net negative to the company.  Doubt it’s a factor in many people’s buying decision, and it absolutely can be exploited.  Wasn’t someone here banned for doing it like 9x for every game possible across multiple accounts?  Earning game coin too.  Aircobra?  I forgot about that as another reason they have banned, but it’s basically just a trade ban still?

I did G2L with some game CEs, where I knew I wanted the CE stuff, but could wait on the actual game, which would be at least 50% off within a few months.  I had them preordered a long time, so not like it was my plan, but when they offered to buy just the game back for $60 credit, sure.  Didn’t even know if it would apply since it was a CE, but it worked fine.  Not exactly what they intended it for, but in moderation I think stuff like that is ok, it’s still following their own rules.  Stacking and finding the best promos and deals, taking them up on their best offers, that’s one thing, but they have to stay in business if you want to keep doing it.  My guess is that was the basis for this recent wave of bans.  

#41870 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4173 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted 21 April 2021 - 07:41 PM

Not that anyone here knows for sure, but in the end I think if GameStop is still making a decent overall profit off you, your safe as long as no fraud or theft is involved. G2L is a weird promo, not sure how its anything but a net negative to the company. Doubt it’s a factor in many peoples buying decision, and it absolutely can be exploited. Wasn’t someone here banned for doing it like 9x for every game possible across multiple accounts? Earning game coin too. Aircobra? I forgot about that as another reason they have banned, but it’s basically just a trade ban still?

I did G2L with some game CEs, where I knew I wanted the CE stuff, but could wait on the actual game, which would be at least 50% off within a few months. I had them preordered a long time, so not like it was my plan, but when they offered to buy just the game back for $60 credit, sure. Didn’t even know if it would apply since it was a CE, but it worked fine. Not exactly what they intended it for, but in moderation I think stuff like that is ok. Stacking and finding the best promos and deals, taking them up on their best offers, that’s one thing, but they have to stay in business if you want to keep doing it. My guess is that was the basis for this recent wave of bans.

Yeah I think the thought process or hope from gamestop is that a buyer will buy the game in cash, when they bring it back they get credit. They have now brought that customer back into the store where the customer will hopefully spend more than $60. It also gives some peace of mind to a casual gamer that if they don't like it they can bring it back and get something they do want, creating some good will.

As far as the recent bans, I have no idea, but as these are rung up as trade ins I'm sure trade bans are issued for doing this x amount of times to reach a threshold for what they feel is abusing the promo. So that could be a good theory you have.

#41871 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   3220 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2021 - 07:41 PM

Not that anyone here knows for sure, but in the end I think if GameStop is still making a decent overall profit off you, your safe as long as no fraud or theft is involved.  G2L is a weird promo, not sure how its anything but a net negative to the company. 

The average G2L transaction is not done to a cag.  Most G2L title purchases are not covered in full by trade credit and/or certificates. It also brings at least one additional opportunity to upsell, offer game warranties, etc.

The fact that the "refund" is 100% trade credit gives them an additional buffer, as whatever the TC will buy will normally also have some margin of profit involved.

My guess is that was the basis for this recent wave of bans.

My guess is that accounts which did multiple orders of the $30 gc exploit were flagged for a manual review.

#41872 Xenogears   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   716 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2021 - 08:11 PM

The average G2L transaction is not done to a cag.  Most G2L title purchases are not covered in full by trade credit and/or certificates. It also brings at least one additional opportunity to upsell, offer game warranties, etc.

The fact that the "refund" is 100% trade credit gives them an additional buffer, as whatever the TC will buy will normally also have some margin of profit involved.

My guess is that accounts which did multiple orders of the $30 gc exploit were flagged for a manual review.

Yeah, G2L is a different proposition to CAG than the average customer.  I wonder what percentage of people actually use it as intended though.  They bought a game and decide they don’t like it anymore within 1-2 days.

I think your right about some kind of manual review being involved with the recent bans, with something to flag accounts outside the normal automatic rules.  Anyone banned do the exploit he’s talking about?  Once it gets to a manual review, I think overall they are looking at if they make money off you or not, but who knows.

#41873 jooksingjie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   477 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

jooksingjie

Posted 21 April 2021 - 08:15 PM

Gamestop buys game wholesale for $50. Sells it to you for 60 cash. G2L it for 60 credit. Sells preowned for $55.

2 happy customers for 1 game. What's to flag? (unless you G2L 4 copies of Cyberpunk off one receipt I guess?) :shock:

That’s not even what got you or me trade banned!

New AAA titles sell. Period. And with how few copies are allotted to stores beyond preorders, those g2l trades will sell just like that. Net losses, deferred revenue, etc are negligible when compared to the cost of acquiring new customers. I don’t know why this even prompted discussion.

#41874 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4173 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted 21 April 2021 - 08:24 PM

The G2L probably helps their books too. Shows up as a new game sale, trade, and eventually a used game sale. So at its surface shows up as a sale twice and not a return.

#41875 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1526 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 21 April 2021 - 08:35 PM

Honestly, the sooner they start getting used copies in, the better it is for their profits.

#41876 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1526 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 21 April 2021 - 08:36 PM

$30 gift card would not get you banned. It is on GS that their website had an issue.

#41877 briandadude   Vita + Xbox + Switch CAGiversary!   1302 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

briandadude

Posted 21 April 2021 - 09:24 PM

Honestly, the sooner they start getting used copies in, the better it is for their profits.

Profit = used game sale price - trade in price.

G2L used copies make this negative.

#41878 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1526 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 21 April 2021 - 09:27 PM

Profit = used game sale price - trade in price.

G2L used copies make this negative.

The thinking is someone will then trade that copy in. Or the person who brought back the G2L title will buy a bunch of stuff with low trade, high price. Who knows, but getting used games in faster and more often is how they profit.

#41879 dinodamage  

dinodamage

Posted 21 April 2021 - 09:34 PM

I think your right about some kind of manual review being involved with the recent bans, with something to flag accounts outside the normal automatic rules.  Anyone banned do the exploit he’s talking about? 

Yeah, I did it three times. My account got nuked a week or so later.

#41880 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAGiversary!   1107 Posts   Joined 1.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2021 - 10:11 PM

It's more than likely that they finally caught on to these weirdos that "flip" thousands of dollars worth of games in a month or two span. 

GS is large enough that they probably deal with all sorts of weirdos. Weirdos that buy thousands of dollars of games during a sale to flip onto Amazon/Ebay. Weirdos that trade in freshly simmed phones for cash only. Weirdos that buy games on sale specifically to trade back in at a higher value. Each weirdo has a different value to generate specific metrics they like tracking for their shareholders. 

My theory - each person that was banned likely just pissed one store manager off somehow.  :shock:

Yeah, G2L is a different proposition to CAG than the average customer.  

Agreed - its more of a "I'm buying this for my kid's birthday - if he doesn't like it I can come back and switch it for a game he actually wants". Of course, only GS knows the value of G2L on their books. We just like it as a points outlet or promo participation award.  :dunce:

That’s not even what got you or me trade banned!

I still don't know!  :bomb: