* * * * * 2 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#4561 ThatOneGuyWho   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6065 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

ThatOneGuyWho

Posted Today, 03:06 AM

This only works for pre-owned games. Employees are not allowed to check-out new games.

Is that a new thing? Back when I worked there it wasn't a problem since we had to put a new (opened) copy on the shelves anyways.

#4562 sasukekun   Cat-Like Typing Detected CAGiversary!   6719 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 03:06 AM

I traded in my OG 500GB XBox one for the XBox One X system. Associate let me return the system to get one of the bundled systems (NBA2K19). Although he did ask his manager if he could return/exchange and he had no issue with it. I would've went with the PUBG one, but they did not have one. I'm not complaining. They even let me keep the State of Decay code. 

#4563 sasukekun   Cat-Like Typing Detected CAGiversary!   6719 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 03:07 AM

Is that a new thing? Back when I worked there it wasn't a problem since we had to put a new (opened) copy on the shelves anyways.

AFAIK, it was corporate policy (maybe district policy?) unless they changed it after I quit in mid 2014.

#4564 gamerdad101  

gamerdad101

Posted Today, 11:23 AM

AFAIK, it was corporate policy (maybe district policy?) unless they changed it after I quit in mid 2014.

Corporate policy allows new titles to be checked out but only 1 copy of a title at a time. So not everyone can play BO4 at once. Some districts or individual stores do not allow new games to be checked out because they still sell them as new and that is a bad perception. Their logic is that they sell new and PRE-OWNED. The game was played but never owned.

#4565 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   3706 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 12:55 PM

When you work at GameStop you can borrow the games to play. It's so you know how to sell a game if you've played it. They do open those copies to let employees play but it is used at that point. They likely just make those used for sale. That or people bought it, played it, they can't return a game that they opened so they trade it.

This only works for pre-owned games. Employees are not allowed to check-out new games.

Not when I worked there. I am sure that policies have changed since I worked there, it's been awhile, but when I did work there we'd sometimes have to gut about 7 copies of a new release game to put out display copies on the shelf when they wanted us to have a whole row of 6 for every new release in each section. These games would absolutely get checked out by employees and played and sold as new still, I was always against this as I fell it's extremely unethical. 

I have a good friend who just left Gamestop about a year ago as well and he had told me that they were still able to check out new copies of games that were sold as new a year ago too. I just don't believe they gut nearly as many now and probably only let employees check out the gutted copy. Either way they sell them as new when they have been opened and played in many cases. 

#4566 IAMSAM34  

Posted Today, 01:16 PM

That Diablo switch looks nice

#4567 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   366 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 01:16 PM

Not when I worked there. I am sure that policies have changed since I worked there, it's been awhile, but when I did work there we'd sometimes have to gut about 7 copies of a new release game to put out display copies on the shelf when they wanted us to have a whole row of 6 for every new release in each section. These games would absolutely get checked out by employees and played and sold as new still, I was always against this as I fell it's extremely unethical.

I have a good friend who just left Gamestop about a year ago as well and he had told me that they were still able to check out new copies of games that were sold as new a year ago too. I just don't believe they gut nearly as many now and probably only let employees check out the gutted copy. Either way they sell them as new when they have been opened and played in many cases.

From a business perspective, this makes more sense if GS wants their employees to be informed about the latest and greatest games the first two weeks of release. There should be very few used copies during this period of time.

On the other hand, GS corporate probably put this policy in place to make money off of their employees as well since everyone working at the gamestop plays games (i assume). Employees/store management ignoring corporate policy are really just wanting free game rentals...mr jrpg is renting persona to enjoy not “Dat 2k” to be informed.

As an aside, gutted games are part antitheft measure (less and less with the influx of collectibles) and mostly a convenient excuse to convert to used.

#4568 CamperinaBush   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   663 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

CamperinaBush

Posted Today, 01:19 PM

That Diablo switch looks nice

Yeah it does. I have the Let’s Go Pikachu Switch preordered, but the Diablo one is tempting.

#4569 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   3706 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 01:23 PM

From a business perspective, this makes more sense if GS wants their employees to be informed about the latest and greatest games the first two weeks of release. There should be very few used copies during this period of time.

On the other hand, GS corporate probably put this policy in place to make money off of their employees as well since everyone working at the gamestop plays games (i assume). Employees/store management ignoring corporate policy are really just wanting free game rentals...mr jrpg is renting persona to enjoy not “Dat 2k” to be informed.

This is exactly what happens. Most Gamestop employees are gamers, the ones that aren't are typically in management positions and don't take advantage of the ability to play most games because they only like a handful of sports games or shooters. I definitely have known some employees who had little to no product knowledge and would never in a million years take the time to play something like Dragon Quest or Yakuza. 

Gamestop should honestly work out deals with the publishers to get at least one copy of each new release for the employees to check out and play. Once the employees are done with it they can either keep it in a library or use it to motivate employees by running a contest for pre-orders or something where the winner gets to keep a game or something. I know most would say they should sell it used, but when they are sent something for free like that, I don't believe they could legally just sell it.

#4570 dualrec  

Posted Today, 01:40 PM

hmmmm.   Diablo switch, or continue to hold out for a bayonetta......

#4571 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted Today, 01:52 PM

hmmmm.   Diablo switch, or continue to hold out for a bayonetta......

These lazy gray screenprinted graphics for the Smash and Diablo versions are so lame. At least, the Diablo version comes with a case.

#4572 dualrec  

Posted Today, 01:54 PM

So, question for switch owners. (I don't have one just yet)

How are the PowerA controllers?  That Diablo one is slick.  I assume it's not up to the quality of the Nintendo Pro, but curious if I should pre-order one for my future console purchase.

#4573 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted Today, 01:56 PM

So, question for switch owners. (I don't have one just yet)

How are the PowerA controllers?  That Diablo one is slick.  I assume it's not up to the quality of the Nintendo Pro, but curious if I should pre-order one for my future console purchase.

The first of these new wireless controllers (I think the Zelda one) just came out a few days ago. So there might not be a whole lot of folks on here with experience with them. There are a few youtube videos up about them though. They look ok.

#4574 jimbo8574   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   7654 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 02:29 PM

When you work at GameStop you can borrow the games to play. It's so you know how to sell a game if you've played it. They do open those copies to let employees play but it is used at that point. They likely just make those used for sale. That or people bought it, played it, they can't return a game that they opened so they trade it.

That is how I got JC3 the day after it released used a couple years ago.  Store manager had it played some and didn't like it.  Can't recall what codes it came with but they were still good.  Was basically brand new.   Haven't been able to do that again though.  Usually have to wait a week or more to get a new release used around here.  At least the ones I am interested in anyway.

#4575 dualrec  

Posted Today, 02:57 PM

These lazy gray screenprinted graphics for the Smash and Diablo versions are so lame. At least, the Diablo version comes with a case.

Agree that the consoles are kind of lazy. 

And 'no rumble' on the PowerA kills it for me.  Thanks for the video.

#4576 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4285 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 04:32 PM

WTF....
So I tried to buy the Smash Ultimate Special Edition online

I forgot to update my credit card when I placed the order and went back to fix/adjust it in my order history and was only allowed to Cancel it.

So I canceled the game and tried to re-order it.
I am now being told that I have exceeded the amount of times I can order the produce and my quantity has been adjusted accordingly.

(Canceling my attempt to re-order)

So, I called Gamestop's help/customer service line only for the worker to tell me, after 20minutes of them looking into things and talking to co-workers, they can't do anything on their end... I have to go to a store to order the item..

This is rather.. inconvenient.

#4577 magwik   ZA WARUDO CAGiversary!   246 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 04:44 PM

Anyone plan on using the X1X trade promotion and returning it for the Fallout bundle?

#4578 bob330i   just lookin' CAGiversary!   3461 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 05:08 PM

thanks for the heads up on the Diablo switch.  I think I'm going to grab it as I've been waiting for an LE plus I hadn't gotten around to playing Diablo since the 90's on a PC.  Nice that there is a bonus case, just too bad Diablo is not a physical copy.

#4579 CamperinaBush   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   663 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

CamperinaBush

Posted Today, 05:23 PM

On Saturday my store’s customer lookup was down, so my $100 purchase didn’t register for the PUR points. Am I out of luck, or can I do something about that?

#4580 Katsumi   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1482 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 05:28 PM

thanks for the heads up on the Diablo switch.  I think I'm going to grab it as I've been waiting for an LE plus I hadn't gotten around to playing Diablo since the 90's on a PC.  Nice that there is a bonus case, just too bad Diablo is not a physical copy.

I think you'll love Diablo 3 :D It had a bumpy start, but really hit its stride after the expansion. Being able to play it on a portable will be really nice, too! I do wish there was more than just a couple images on the dock / switch, but it's not a bad deal for someone just jumping in.

#4581 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2463 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted Today, 05:29 PM

On Saturday my store’s customer lookup was down, so my $100 purchase didn’t register for the PUR points. Am I out of luck, or can I do something about that?

You can call CS with receipt info and have them add it manually. I've had a store offer to have me come back in later and they would call for me so that could be an option too.

#4582 sasukekun   Cat-Like Typing Detected CAGiversary!   6719 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 05:29 PM

Anyone plan on using the X1X trade promotion and returning it for the Fallout bundle?

I'm gonna try to exchange my NBA2K19 bundle for the white bundle after work today. Will update thread if they let me. GS shows a early pick-up bundle available everywhere, but obviously fallout isn't playable until release.

https://www.gamestop...gamestop/166585

#4583 magwik   ZA WARUDO CAGiversary!   246 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 05:43 PM

I'm gonna try to exchange my NBA2K19 bundle for the white bundle after work today. Will update thread if they let me. GS shows a early pick-up bundle available everywhere, but obviously fallout isn't playable until release.

https://www.gamestop...gamestop/166585

Definitely interested to see how it goes

#4584 sharpeone   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2166 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 05:53 PM

Definitely interested to see how it goes

I'm thinking of trading in my XBox One S in the next few days for the promotion.  Stupid question, but If I attempt the Fallout bundle, will the system kick it out automatically as not being able to get the $250 trade-in?

#4585 magwik   ZA WARUDO CAGiversary!   246 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 05:56 PM

I'm thinking of trading in my XBox One S in the next few days for the promotion. Stupid question, but If I attempt the Fallout bundle, will the system kick it out automatically as not being able to get the $250 trade-in?

The promotion only applies to the original Xbox One X.

#4586 sharpeone   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2166 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 06:11 PM

The promotion only applies to the original Xbox One X.

Yeah, that's what I assumed but wasn't sure if it was possible to pick up another bundle if the original XBox One was not in stock in the store.  Thanks!

#4587 sasukekun   Cat-Like Typing Detected CAGiversary!   6719 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 06:27 PM

Yeah, that's what I assumed but wasn't sure if it was possible to pick up another bundle if the original XBox One was not in stock in the store.  Thanks!

Promo doesnt work unless the a vanilla Xbox One X is added, or a manager overrides. So it's possible if the store is OOS, but it's a YMMV.

#4588 sharpeone   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2166 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 07:42 PM

Promo doesnt work unless the a vanilla Xbox One X is added, or a manager overrides. So it's possible if the store is OOS, but it's a YMMV.

That's what I'll shoot for :).  Very doubtful with my store but worth a try.

#4589 magwik   ZA WARUDO CAGiversary!   246 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 09:33 PM

I managed to have another store swap me out for the white X fairly easily. Walked out with a code for SoD and Fallout 😎
I'll be sure to leave a good review for the stores.