* * * - - 32 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#51451 Confidance   Just a guy CAGiversary!   1936 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2021 - 10:36 PM

did you trade them in sealed? Why would you need to show a receipt?

No sealed game. WM app keeps digital receipts of all purchases. I was getting questioned about game content as if it was a thought that the games were stolen because of the quality of the discs.

That SL is not even with the company anymore

#51452 Confidance   Just a guy CAGiversary!   1936 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2021 - 10:41 PM

Yeah I’d never try to trade in a new/sealed game. Someone just had a hard on and his fisher price badge that morning. The DM hates me so it was an easy flex to call in a favor to LP. Also, my receipt was well over a month old. I only traded during MWT weekend for a whole month’s finds.

No I never reached out to GameStop twitter.

#51453 DrBayrd  

Posted 10 December 2021 - 10:42 PM

No sealed game. I was getting questioned about game content as if it was a thought that the games were stolen because of the quality of the discs.

You got JD’d. You could not have predicted what would happen. But if anything goes awry during a trade I just abandon ship and go to the next store. Better to live to trade another day. Glad your excessive ban got lifted!

#51454 Confucius   Corporate Shill CAGiversary!   17189 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2021 - 10:43 PM

Only the OLED model, and that's $275. GS dropped the TIV for all other Switch models to $220 earlier in the week.

I finally get an OLED switch and now I have nowhere to trade it in for a good value. Maybe this will be reversed come Sunday.

#51455 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8919 Posts   Joined 18.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2021 - 11:32 PM

You can't get it online as an active member. You can do it in-store, but I should warn you that you probably won't get the 10k points since I didn't when I renewed earlier in the week as an active member. It could be that only new or lapsed members get the points, and that would make sense since it's advertised as a welcome gift. But I was content with just extending my sub for $10. If you don't mind calling, there's a good chance customer service will give you the points if you don't get them.

It's been taking a while. One of my accts I renewed a few days before Thanksgiving and got no points. I used the website chat on Black Friday, had them add 10k and then a bit more than a week after that the renewal 10k showed up backdated to before Thanksgiving.

Not a fan of walking into GameStop to do business, but $60 in Xbox Live credit with the monthly coupons for only $10 is worth it.  I'll do it in the morning.  Hope the renewal deal holds out until then.

#51456 TheKbob   FakeyBro™, Esq. CAGiversary!   1866 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2021 - 11:58 PM

As far as I am concerned, using your GameStop rewards/PUR monthlies on digital currency and subscription is likely hitting them in the thinnest of margin items.

I can't believe they don't take a soak on giving out digital currency at any loss.

Not a fan of GameStop, either, but I will still want to maximize my dollar. And the employ local folks unlike buying strictly online.

#51457 bonesawisready   YES! YES! YES! CAGiversary!   2025 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

bonesawisready

Posted 11 December 2021 - 12:43 AM

lol I wish I could, but if I did that, he would know what his gift is. I've been trying to think of clever ways to take it away without suspicion, but he hasn't given me reason too. Oh well, just hoping the value holds.

you could always just overreact to something bad he does and take it away lol for 2 weeks haha no don’t do that

#51458 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAGiversary!   1338 Posts   Joined 2.9 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2021 - 12:51 AM

No sealed game. WM app keeps digital receipts of all purchases. I was getting questioned about game content as if it was a thought that the games were stolen because of the quality of the discs.

That SL is not even with the company anymore

This is why I lick all my discs then rub on my dog then throw the cases around the in a bag with some rocks to put some flair on my trade ins. Sometimes it helps to split the gamestop pre-owned stickers font/back onto two generic cases if you're trading in multiples.  :shock:

#51459 toska  

Posted 11 December 2021 - 12:54 AM

i keep all the new cases and give gamestops premium cases back to them

count it as recycling

#51460 born free   Old School CAGiversary!   4942 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2021 - 12:58 AM

Yeah defninitely have a collection of busted gs cases to sub out for new game trade in flips. Funny to see reaction sometimes of a busted case /yellow sleeve with a brand new game inside.

#51461 Nick51705   Zelda Fan CAGiversary!   4119 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2021 - 01:20 AM

Yeah I’d never try to trade in a new/sealed game. Someone just had a hard on and his fisher price badge that morning. The DM hates me so it was an easy flex to call in a favor to LP. Also, my receipt was well over a month old. I only traded during MWT weekend for a whole month’s finds.

No I never reached out to GameStop twitter.

How often did you check? I feel like after a year I would have just given up

#51462 walletandgromice   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1676 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

walletandgromice

Posted 11 December 2021 - 02:27 AM

lol I wish I could, but if I did that, he would know what his gift is. I've been trying to think of clever ways to take it away without suspicion, but he hasn't given me reason too. Oh well, just hoping the value holds.

I've been here before and I'm sympathetic to this as a fellow parent: if you give the big gift early, it's nearly impossible for your kid to not feel disappointed on the actual holiday when they don't have the big present to open. It's not about being spoiled either, its just hard for kids...because they are kids.

You'll still get something for the trade in if the value drops, just less. I'm guessing its probably worth the potential loss.

#51463 CrepeNuts  

Posted 11 December 2021 - 02:31 AM

I apologize for the stupidity, but I just renewed my PUR sub since the $5 monthly cert started. How/when can I use that? I don't see anywhere on the site or app that designates the details.

#51464 Confidance   Just a guy CAGiversary!   1936 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2021 - 02:37 AM

How often did you check? I feel like after a year I would have just given up

Checked last month actually. My buddy put in his notice after 15 years and when he called me with the news I asked for a check one more time for old times sake. Found out I was finally free. No more hassling my wife when I need to trade

#51465 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5035 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted 11 December 2021 - 03:03 AM

I apologize for the stupidity, but I just renewed my PUR sub since the $5 monthly cert started. How/when can I use that? I don't see anywhere on the site or app that designates the details.

If you just signed up it's not available until the 1st of the following month, so January 1st. You should get 10k in PUR points for signing up as well within 72 hours.

#51466 CrepeNuts  

Posted 11 December 2021 - 03:08 AM

If you just signed up it's not available until the 1st of the following month, so January 1st. You should get 10k in PUR points for signing up as well within 72 hours.

Thanks. Yeah, i did see the points, i just didn't know where the free fiver showed up. Appreciate the info.

#51467 akuma77   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   407 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2021 - 03:11 AM

Sigh my “new” copy of shin Megami tensei V steel book didn’t have shrink wrap so it’s used…

#51468 jrc84  

Posted 11 December 2021 - 03:40 AM

Ordered a new copy of stubbs on xbox and to my surprise arrived sealed

#51469 djolley86   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   23 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

djolley86

Posted 11 December 2021 - 05:06 AM

Update on my situation with the trade ban - have heard nothing from them on Twitter, and have yet to find a CSR that is helpful either. Next time I'm near a GameStop, I'm going to walk in and see if I can have someone pull my information. I have a feeling this will be a pointless process, as most of us know that logic is not a strongpoint for this company.

Also, unrelated - but I'd be hesitant to dump an extra $10-15 for a renewed Pro membership. I feel like this company is a coffin on rollerskates, and they are absolutely bleeding money per recent business news. 

#51470 beenaround  

beenaround

Posted 11 December 2021 - 05:15 AM

Update on my situation with the trade ban - have heard nothing from them on Twitter, and have yet to find a CSR that is helpful either. Next time I'm near a GameStop, I'm going to walk in and see if I can have someone pull my information. I have a feeling this will be a pointless process, as most of us know that logic is not a strongpoint for this company.

Also, unrelated - but I'd be hesitant to dump an extra $10-15 for a renewed Pro membership. I feel like this company is a coffin on rollerskates, and they are absolutely bleeding money per recent business news. 

They can't see anything in store that is going to help you, did you ever check your rewards activity to see if you have a note explaining your ban?

Gamestop has 1.5 billion dollars in cash and no debt, the company isn't going anywhere anytime soon. What business news did you think you saw that said otherwise?

#51471 Dustin Echoes   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   356 Posts   Joined 18.5 Years Ago  

Dustin Echoes

Posted 11 December 2021 - 05:29 AM

Probably ones similar to this
https://www.cnbc.com...1-earnings.html

#51472 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5035 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted 11 December 2021 - 07:37 AM

Did you message GameStop's main Twitter or their help page?

If you just did the main page I'd try this one

https://mobile.twitt...om/GameStopHelp

#51473 Photophonic  

Photophonic

Posted 11 December 2021 - 02:57 PM

Any ideas why some games don't show up when searching trade-in values? Example, Hyrule Warriors - Age of Calamity did not appear on their list for many months and now Lost Judgment is a no show. Sure sure, I could always call them but that would involve actually using my phone for it's original purpose. 

#51474 toska  

Posted 11 December 2021 - 02:59 PM

game doesnt have a preowned listing on the site

i called about lost judgment and they told me like 10 bucks the other day

whatever it is right now its not worth it.

#51475 djolley86   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   23 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

djolley86

Posted 11 December 2021 - 04:49 PM

Yes, I’ve tried my rewards account on the app and there is nothing listed either. Will just take my business elsewhere.

#51476 djolley86   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   23 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

djolley86

Posted 11 December 2021 - 05:13 PM

Yes, I’ve tried my rewards account on the app and there is nothing listed either. Will just take my business elsewhere.

#51477 Uncle Anwar   Lemurian Cult Leader CAGiversary!   579 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Uncle Anwar

Posted 11 December 2021 - 05:44 PM

Somehow, I don’t think they’ll be too concerned about losing the “business” of someone that got banned…Also, good luck with shopping at the other major videogame retailer.

#51478 MSUHitman   former Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   15178 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2021 - 05:44 PM

Question about the delay in refund was already answered. To address your other question:

Most of the things wrong with the company are countermeasures taken for survivability against all the flipper scum. The GS customers who make the most transactions are unscrupulous scoundrels whose behavior forces GS to change their policies. For example, my gf and I have copies of the same game; I brought mine for a trade in during the 50% bonus because it was sealed and I hadn't played it, and the store manager told me they can't accept sealed games because people steal games from other stores to bring there directly for trades.

Whenever I post that hot take, someone screeches about corporate sympathizing. But it's fact that people reap what they sow when they face obstacles after exploiting the system.

There was an incident in Memphis about a decade ago where police did a sting operation taking sealed games into GameStop, saying they were stolen, and the GS employees still taking them, and they arrested the employees b/c taking in known stolen merchandise is against the law. GS cracked down on taking in sealed merchandise ever since.

If you had your receipt, the GS employee could have still given you the trade value for the game because if an issue arose the employee would be on camera looking at your receipt, but that is a caveat to the rules most employees aren't going to know b/c most GS employees now have less than 1 year experience.

#51479 MSUHitman   former Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   15178 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2021 - 05:50 PM

It takes 8-12 weeks to get your first issue in the mail. It used to be that you'd get your first magazine in the store when you sign up, but they don't carry the magazine in-store anymore.

My location still gets them in, but about 1/4 of the amount they used to get.

#51480 Naruto Uzumaki   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   643 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Naruto Uzumaki

Posted 11 December 2021 - 06:12 PM

The One S is still $220, so I'll be going in after work and getting Steam Bucks towards my Steam Deck preorder.

If you are cashing out gamestop credit towards Steam gift cards remember you can only do $200 in steam gift cards per 4-5 hours