* * * * - 11 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#7741 Wrectifyy  

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:04 PM

I've made a pledge to not buy any video games in 2019, but I have this 20% off birthday coupon on my account. However, the used selection around me has been decimated. Consequence of no having any decent trade in bonuses.

Shall we start laying odds how long your pledge lasts for? I am guessing you will be out by the end of the January. ;)

#7742 the_red_tide  

the_red_tide

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:06 PM

Shall we start laying odds how long your pledge lasts for? I am guessing you will be out by the end of the January. ;)

Would it count if someone else bought the games?

#7743 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6721 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 31 December 2018 - 12:34 AM

I've made a pledge to not buy any video games in 2019, but I have this 20% off birthday coupon on my account. However, the used selection around me has been decimated. Consequence of no having any decent trade in bonuses.

I hear you, brother.  I'm considering the possibility of not buying anymore games period after my birthday which is coming up in March.  I've got enough now that I don't ever need to buy another one, and the physical copies take up too much damn space as it is.  Hope you can stick to your goal, but I'm sure you can do it! 

#7744 strongarm   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   85 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

strongarm

Posted 31 December 2018 - 12:42 AM

I hear you, brother. I'm considering the possibility of not buying anymore games period after my birthday which is coming up in March. I've got enough now that I don't ever need to buy another one, and the physical copies take up too much damn spaces as it is. Hope you can stick to your goal, but I'm sure you can do it!

How many do you have? I have about 30 physical and another 50 digital, that I haven't touched. It is time to reconsider my purchases.

#7745 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6721 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 31 December 2018 - 01:08 AM

How many do you have? I have about 30 physical and another 50 digital, that I haven't touched. It is time to reconsider my purchases.

I've been gaming since I was 3 years old.  I own systems ranging from the Atari 2600 to the modern PS4 and Xbox One (the Switch doesn't interest me).  So, the answer to that question is probably hundreds if not in the low thousands of games.  But, I was a collector as well as a player for many years.  My possible decision to get out of the video game buying/collecting game doesn't mean that I'm dumping anything that I already own.  I just don't need to keep adding to the pile.  I stopped buying collector's editions years ago because it's a fool's errand.  I'll be 40 on my next birthday, and I probably need to focus more on increasing my retirement fund than buying more games that never get played.  People talk about how they don't own digital games because of DRM or somesuch nonsense, but they forget that none of us are going to be able to take these games with us when it's all over.   

#7746 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   3556 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 31 December 2018 - 01:24 AM

I've had a certificate for a free Power Up Rewards Pro membership sitting on my account for an entire year. I'm finally going to redeem it tomorrow. I'm glad because I have gotten tired of GameStop associates mentioning it every time that I've made a purchase this year.

If people don't shop at GameStop, it's because it's the only store where the employees get overly involved in your shopping experience. The associates at Best Buy/Target/Walmart don't give a :censored: about selling me memberships, warranties, and other :censored: that I don't need. But, the main reason that I don't often set foot in a brick and mortar GameStop store is that they ruin the shopping experience with their nagging.

Rant over. Thanks for reading.

Every time I've asked them to do separate transactions, they won't do it. They talk their way out of doing it, or just ignore me and ring everything up at once. Pisses me off to no end, especially when I'm trying to use multiple certs, and I want to ensure that they all work together (I don't want to do on the fly calculations, as I do them before getting my stuff to make sure everything rings up at the right subtotal price). For whatever reason, they can't just do their job and ring crap up without commenting on something (the number of points you have, preorders you have open, etc.).

#7747 WWF   Games Jandolfini & Bobby Balaklava CAGiversary!   1008 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 31 December 2018 - 01:51 AM

Trade ins get 20 points per dollar and and used purchase get 20 pets per dollar right?

Used my double points coupon and didn’t get as many as I thought I would, maybe the extra points take time?

3-5 days later and just looks like a duplicate of the same transaction in the same base amount in your history.

ie: I did a 10,821 point transaction Friday and a 10821 Tuesday, etc.

#7748 Finger_Shocker  

Finger_Shocker

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:16 AM

most games are about 10 -20 hrs long depending unless it a RPG, so technically you can get away with playing 300-320 games a year , of course you need to be rich not work or living in your mom's basement

#7749 johnston306   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   701 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

johnston306

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:22 AM

most games are about 10 -20 hrs long depending unless it a RPG, so technically you can get away with playing 300-320 games a year , of course you need to be rich not work or living in your mom's basement

Wouldn't basement dwellers have the most time to play games?

#7750 MonkeyBrainSync  

MonkeyBrainSync

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:26 AM

Anyone else have issues with e-gift cards from Gamestop? I had 2 cards totaling $50 and their system rings one up as $5 lol ... I had to create an order manually with them via phone (omg -- that was painful and took 2 hours -- hold time and processing). 4 days later they cancel my order entirely stating it was lack of funds b/c their system (which they admit is broken) wouldn't read the pin #'s properly. Cards are still jacked up and tried again with them tonight (hold time immeasurable) to dup the order for a 2nd go-round. Fingers crossed. Uggh ... so frustrating! Okay, I'm done venting now. 

#7751 Rick Astley  

Rick Astley

Posted 31 December 2018 - 03:16 AM

How doesn’t that “GameStop pay $20 less for any new game with trade of select games” promo work? If I trade in AC odyssey (eligible game) then I’d basically be getting $20 for it to use on any new game priced above $20? Or will I be getting whatever the trade value for the game is, plus the $20 off any new game?

#7752 Super Strider TurbulenceEX   Son of the Old Gods CAGiversary!   426 Posts   Joined 1.0 Years Ago  

Super Strider TurbulenceEX

Posted 31 December 2018 - 03:37 AM

That promo just means you'll be getting at least $20 trade in value, that's it.

#7753 Rick Astley  

Rick Astley

Posted 31 December 2018 - 03:54 AM

So not worth it then. They’re just tryin to make it sound like you’re getting a deal on a game when u can just put whatever credit you get on any game

#7754 coolduck   super cool duck CAGiversary!   375 Posts   Joined 2.1 Years Ago  

coolduck

Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:21 AM

i dont think its a special deal, as much as an advertisement that you can get money for games

you have to understand that gamestop's main clientele is people who need to learn that information, possibly relearn it in returning visits

#7755 knothead65  

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:14 AM

It's sad that people on here are buying the Katamari Switch game to flip it instead of playing. I checked today and no local stores have it in stock probably because all of the resellers on here and that other site bought it to flip instead of getting real jobs. All I wanted to do was to play it, but now I can't.

Oh well. I "ordered" two copies from eBay sellers and then had them cancel the orders just so that I could give them negative feedback for taking advantage. No way they should be marking it up several times past its MSRP cost. And both of the assholes have the nerve to demand that I remove the feedback.

You know you can buy the game digital right?

#7756 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1599 Posts   Joined 1.0 Years Ago  

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:18 AM

Oh well. I "ordered" two copies from eBay sellers and then had them cancel the orders just so that I could give them negative feedback for taking advantage.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

#7757 Jurai  

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:18 AM

It's sad that people on here are buying the Katamari Switch game to flip it instead of playing. I checked today and no local stores have it in stock probably because all of the resellers on here and that other site bought it to flip instead of getting real jobs. All I wanted to do was to play it, but now I can't.

Oh well. I "ordered" two copies from eBay sellers and then had them cancel the orders just so that I could give them negative feedback for taking advantage. No way they should be marking it up several times past its MSRP cost. And both of the assholes have the nerve to demand that I remove the feedback.

Not sure what negative feedback you're gonna give them with that plan 'guy was selling game for profit on ebay F---- 0/5', that's probably more likely just gonna get your own account in trouble, it's also worth considering that the game dropped right in the middle of holiday season, and there's currently no confirmation that the game is not getting a reprint, I don't think the margin is likely worth it at $30 but who knows, maybe Gamestop will bite and do it

#7758 Dashey10  

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:21 AM

You do realize that you can get a strike on your account for that right?

#7759 coolduck   super cool duck CAGiversary!   375 Posts   Joined 2.1 Years Ago  

coolduck

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:23 AM

videy gamez is srs biznis

#7760 knothead65  

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:29 AM

I'm more concerned with doing the right thing. I even sent a few certified letters to GS throughout the years, but they never responded to them. I would have sent another one about Katamari but if they don't care about the opportunists taking advantage of them why should I?

lol, ok. Go troll elsewhere....

#7761 coolduck   super cool duck CAGiversary!   375 Posts   Joined 2.1 Years Ago  

coolduck

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:49 AM

u can stop now. this is a deals thread. how hard is that for you guys to understand

#7762 squishface   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2109 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

squishface

Posted 31 December 2018 - 06:30 AM

u can stop now. this is a deals thread. how hard is that for you guys to understand

There's been plenty of troll posts over the last several pages.

#7763 jedex   Elite Chemist CAGiversary!   858 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 31 December 2018 - 06:49 AM

And yet no one had a problem with those. When someone actually comes in here to discuss a serious problem about flipping (remember, GS does not sell to dealers, they are a game store for customers who actually want to PLAY the games) everyone gets pissed off. And it's not hard to see why if you use some critical thinking. The same people getting pissed off are the same ones who bought the Katamari games to flip for a profit while some kid on Christmas is missing out. And even I can't play it now because all of my stores are out. I really hope the two people that I gave negative feedbacks to on eBay are posters here.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#7764 Da_Mole  

Posted 31 December 2018 - 06:58 AM

They can just shrug it off and realist it. You did nothing in the grand scheme of things. If people have the money to buy it, let them. If it's a bad deal them it's on them, they chose to spend their money that way.

#7765 Jhingles  

Jhingles

Posted 31 December 2018 - 07:10 AM

Somebody get the popcorn, IATCG is up to his old tricks again!

#7766 Jurai  

Posted 31 December 2018 - 07:20 AM

I even sent a few certified letters to GS throughout the years

vj1IG.gif

#7767 Jurai  

Posted 31 December 2018 - 07:23 AM

And yet no one had a problem with those. When someone actually comes in here to discuss a serious problem about flipping (remember, GS does not sell to dealers, they are a game store for customers who actually want to PLAY the games) everyone gets pissed off. And it's not hard to see why if you use some critical thinking. The same people getting pissed off are the same ones who bought the Katamari games to flip for a profit while some kid on Christmas is missing out. And even I can't play it now because all of my stores are out. I really hope the two people that I gave negative feedbacks to on eBay are posters here.

My local gamestop managers all got together and cut me a deal to sell me every new copy of Katamari Reroll that comes in for a cut of my ebay sales, gotta make that bread dude, they just immediately reserve the copies for pickup and blast me a text, I have a tv show coming soon on TLC from the guys behind Flip That House called Flip That Game, it debuts in April 2019

#7768 knothead65  

Posted 31 December 2018 - 07:24 AM

vj1IG.gif

Something is "Certified" but I don't think it's letters.......

#7769 Jiles001  

Jiles001

Posted 31 December 2018 - 09:16 AM

Looks like there’s a sale on guides again. Rdr2 CE guide is only $15. I never use guides but enjoy collecting them. Some are really well done.

This is probably old news at this point but prima games is closing.

#7770 krishna_malladi   You seem familiar, did I annoy you before? CAGiversary!   4053 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

krishna_malladi

Posted 31 December 2018 - 09:17 AM

Poor IATCG did not get katamari for Christmas because of you fucking resellers. What has this world come to.