* * * * - 8 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#9001 Omni99  

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:51 PM

Did they suddenly close without warning or was it known before hand?

If it was a sudden closure that may be more interesting, but if publicized then maybe not.

2 store closures out of several thousand globally doesn't seem like a cause for concern, but the total number of stores has dropped.

Found this interesting article related to California locations: https://www.pe.com/2...ction-suit/amp/

"That includes certifying that the seller to the retailer was the owner of the property, and retaining the items for at least 30 days before resale." That sucks. I love not having to wait 30 days to buy stuff that's traded in. I wonder if this is just consoles or games too?

#9002 Renzler   Dude CAG Veteran   1295 Posts   Joined 0.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:54 PM

"That includes certifying that the seller to the retailer was the owner of the property, and retaining the items for at least 30 days before resale." That sucks. I love not having to wait 30 days to buy stuff that's traded in. I wonder if this is just consoles or games too?

They claim to do it on consoles here in California, to the point where they have the trade date and last name of the seller on the box. I never received a pre-owned console with less than 30 days on it. But for games, they flip them right away if they can from what I've seen.

#9003 malfcn   CAGalicious! CAGiversary!   2468 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:11 PM

Anyone try using this code EBC2HLWMT1G10 from SD? It's a $10 off coupon, online only. I was not able to get it to work (being an Elite member might effect it). It expires on 7/31/19.

35c3llj.jpg

https://slickdeals.n...ouponid=1985695

Code shows up, but wouldn't discount for me.

Undefined: UnusedPromocode

#9004 mchittumjr  

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:26 PM

Question, is there a new $5 preorder promo or did this employee just try to pull a fast one on me? Redeemed a $25 off certificate before I went in to get the Dawn of the dragons game. He rings the game up and puts in my PUR and then tells me I can put $5 down on a game for free. I noticed he had already applied my $25 certificate and when I said I'll do $5 on Fire Emblem my total went from $15 to $20. I was moving a preorder anyway so I just did that to get it back down to $15 he asked if I wanted to preorder something else free I said no. At the end he mentioned he saved me a lot of money. Don't want to burn him if there is a legit promo going on, but im guessing there isn't and he was going to use the money I was saving from my cert to get a preorder? 

#9005 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6463 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:53 PM

This morning, I went back to the same GameStop that I went to the other day and grabbed these on the four used games for $10 sale.

Brunswick Pro Bowling - Xbox 360 Kinect

Injustice: Gods Among Us - PS3

Lego Marvel Superheroes - Wii U

The Lego Movie - Wii U

Again, for $2.25 per game after Pro discount, this is a damn good deal if you aren't picky.

I will test the Wii U games later to make sure that they work since I've read some things on the Internet about Wii U games not working properly after they have been resurfaced by GameStops, but the manager assured me that they never resurface anything at his store.

#9006 Vigilante   The Deal Is Already Dead CAGiversary!   36933 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:12 PM

This morning, I went back to the same GameStop that I went to the other day and grabbed these on the four used games for $10 sale.

Brunswick Pro Bowling - Xbox 360 Kinect

Injustice: Gods Among Us - PS3

Lego Marvel Superheroes - Wii U

The Lego Movie - Wii U

Again, for $2.25 per game after Pro discount, this is a damn good deal if you aren't picky.

I will test the Wii U games later to make sure that they work since I've read some things on the Internet about Wii U games not working properly after they have been resurfaced by GameStops, but the manager assured me that they never resurface anything at his store.

Definitely test the discs anyway--they could have been resurfaced at some other store or warehouse before getting sent to that manager's store, unless he's somehow 100% certain both of those Wii U games were traded in at his store.

#9007 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   6185 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:34 PM

So, a bit anecdotal but two gamestops in my area closed down. The only one left is a prestige store. No idea what this means for their business but a little worrying if I were an employee or stock holder.

Got an email today that a local store was moving (getting out of a dying mall) with a 20% coupon.

#9008 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6463 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:40 PM

Definitely test the discs anyway--they could have been resurfaced at some other store or warehouse before getting sent to that manager's store, unless he's somehow 100% certain both of those Wii U games were traded in at his store.

Will do.  The funny thing is that it's been over a year since I last played my Wii U.  In 2.5 hours when the Gamepad is fully charged, I'll know whether or not I got gypped out of $4.50 for these Lego games.  

Yeah, yeah, I know about the seven day return policy.  :roll:

#9009 breezee   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   151 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:05 PM

The store near my work officially closed yesterday and I got one of those 20% off coupon from the closes store. Does it work on new games? I know GameStop rarely have coupons off new games but the fine print doesn't include new games, just hardware and gift cards.

#9010 tangytangerine   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3983 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

tangytangerine

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:28 PM

Just found out today is the last day officially for the store closest to me to be open.    They already had the Wii, Wii U, Vita and DS/3DS games pulled from shelves, behind the counter and ready to be boxed up(to send to other stores).  Glad I went in for Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 on PS3 today(which turned out to be the 1st game entered in the system wrong), otherwise I wouldn't of known about it.  Found out going to next closest store that had a copy that the lease was up and there was too much stuff going missing at the closing store.

Now it seems like all the Gamestops in my area are either in a mall or within 200 yards of a Walmart.

The store near my work officially closed yesterday and I got one of those 20% off coupon from the closes store. Does it work on new games? I know GameStop rarely have coupons off new games but the fine print doesn't include new games, just hardware and gift cards.

It's usually on preowned, but might want to just check.

#9011 ttocshsoj   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   157 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:10 AM

It looks like they've fixed the shipping issue with elite memberships. I just ordered 3 switch games and got free express shipping.

#9012 DaShaka   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1937 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:31 AM

It looks like they've fixed the shipping issue with elite memberships. I just ordered 3 switch games and got free express shipping.

"glitch"

#9013 DaShaka   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1937 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:32 AM

Theres a pro day this saturday, is it best to wait to trade stuff in?  I have about 15 games I want to trade but cant remember if they do trade promos for those or just sales...

#9014 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:52 AM

Theres a pro day this saturday, is it best to wait to trade stuff in? I have about 15 games I want to trade but cant remember if they do trade promos for those or just sales...

If they are current gen games that are on the stealth bump list (posted earlier in this thread.) You probably want to trade them in tonight before your GameStop closes. Pro Day trade bumps generally do not stack with trade promos.

#9015 Sugarbeats  

Sugarbeats

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:56 AM

When is the next prestige day event?

#9016 TooLegitToQuit  

TooLegitToQuit

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:30 AM

Nope just both bundled together for a discount.

Thank you.

On another note, does anyone know the last time a bump carried on until Tuesday due to a holiday? My GameStop email said values are good thru 2/18, but I noticed that the GameStop.com trade quote generator is already saying 2/19 at the bottom. Perhaps its foreshadowing of a continued bump?

#9017 Renzler   Dude CAG Veteran   1295 Posts   Joined 0.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:59 AM

Thank you.

On another note, does anyone know the last time a bump carried on until Tuesday due to a holiday? My GameStop email said values are good thru 2/18, but I noticed that the GameStop.com trade quote generator is already saying 2/19 at the bottom. Perhaps its foreshadowing of a continued bump?

Don't trust that date on the site or any on the app. I'm more likely to believe an emailed date but I'm always skeptical of GameStop dates

#9018 PatricioCurrz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   86 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

PatricioCurrz

Posted 19 February 2019 - 02:08 AM

They claim to do it on consoles here in California, to the point where they have the trade date and last name of the seller on the box. I never received a pre-owned console with less than 30 days on it. But for games, they flip them right away if they can from what I've seen.

In the area of New York that I live in everything has to be placed on a "trade hold" for 14 days before it can be sold

#9019 mojoaoe  

Posted 19 February 2019 - 02:16 AM

Went in to trade 7 games ($51 store credit) and exchange 1 retro game I got online that didn’t work. The retro game was 23.99 and the guy put it as a return and then under purchase the same game was listed for $31 online purchase. Did I just get fucked out of $7? Was that shipping cost? If I buy a retro game and go to exchange it for not working why tf am I paying shipping again?

#9020 doc_j88   CAG Vet CAGiversary!   1216 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2019 - 02:37 AM

Went in to trade 7 games ($51 store credit) and exchange 1 retro game I got online that didn’t work. The retro game was 23.99 and the guy put it as a return and then under purchase the same game was listed for $31 online purchase. Did I just get fucked out of $7? Was that shipping cost? If I buy a retro game and go to exchange it for not working why tf am I paying shipping again?

You got screwed bro. Rookie mistake

You guys need to check the transaction on the pin pad screen before finalizing anything at GameStop

#9021 RunningMan  

RunningMan

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:42 AM

In the area of New York that I live in everything has to be placed on a "trade hold" for 14 days before it can be sold

Its different everywhere, and gs falls under pawnshop laws/rules I guess, in some parts of Jersey they need dl, photo and finger print to trade stuff in, as does the bestbuy, and there is a hold period on everything, but in other parts not far away they dont even ask for dl.

#9022 mojoaoe  

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:54 AM

You got screwed bro. Rookie mistake

You guys need to check the transaction on the pin pad screen before finalizing anything at GameStop

bs is i go to that gamestop all the time. ima go tomorrow and get my money back Fuck that shit

#9023 RPGamer246   I Game You Game We Game CAGiversary!   979 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:36 AM

Stleath bumps over all $30 base switch dropped to $27

#9024 doc_j88   CAG Vet CAGiversary!   1216 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:43 PM

Stealth bump is dead

Thanks to the promo, and bump I have a now astronomical amount of credit, to game for years to come (if they are around that long)

Thank you GameStop

#9025 WarGames92  

WarGames92

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:47 PM

I realize I'm behind the times here, but what's the consensus on the extra 30% for Elite stacking with the additional 10% for Pro Day on Saturday?

#9026 doc_j88   CAG Vet CAGiversary!   1216 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2019 - 02:18 PM

I realize I'm behind the times here, but what's the consensus on the extra 30% for Elite stacking with the additional 10% for Pro Day on Saturday?

It will work but keep in mind increases from the stealth bump are gone

So some games may or may not have benefited. You really had to weigh your options this weekend

#9027 WarGames92  

WarGames92

Posted 19 February 2019 - 02:37 PM

It will work but keep in mind increases from the stealth bump are gone

So some games may or may not have benefited. You really had to weigh your options this weekend

I'm just looking to offload the last gen games that aren't worth the effort on eBay that I held onto too long (and thus watched their values drop like a rock and stay there in October).

Their values have been low and pretty static since then, so I took a chance on squeezing an extra 10% out of them.

#9028 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   447 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:15 PM

Pro Day most likely will not stack, but Prestige Day will most likely stack. (Historically, this is how it has worked) 

As an aside, I was able to get $45 for Resident Evil 2 thanks to bump and promo..that was great :)

#9029 AcesHigh   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   420 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:18 PM

What exactly is pro day? See the advertisements but no deals listed.

#9030 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:19 PM

It won't stack.