* * * * - 16 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#10321 guy3467  

Posted 04 April 2019 - 04:49 PM

My local prestige store had signs up advertising prestige day this Saturday.Had b2g1 advertised.

#10322 darren2e   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   54 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

darren2e

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:21 PM

My local prestige store had signs up advertising prestige day this Saturday.Had b2g1 advertised.

How do I find out what stores are prestige near me??

#10323 Shojsauce   Owner of RewindReview CAGiversary!   1097 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:27 PM

I'm sure this question is frequently asked but I haven't found the answer. Does the 20% off a pre-owned game birthday coupon stack with pro or elite pro?

#10324 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:40 PM

I'm sure this question is frequently asked but I haven't found the answer. Does the 20% off a pre-owned game birthday coupon stack with pro or elite pro?

Yes.  You get 20% off the Pro or Elite Pro price

#10325 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:42 PM

How do I find out what stores are prestige near me??

Go to Find a Store on their site.  The Prestige stores will be identified as such

#10326 Meepo  

Posted 04 April 2019 - 06:07 PM

Does no one remember Katamari? Yeesh

Katamari has been in stock far longer than it was out of stock. The reprint happened pretty quickly and it is in plentiful supply right now.

#10327 johnnymavrik   The Evil Genius CAGiversary!   811 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

johnnymavrik

Posted 04 April 2019 - 06:51 PM

Go to Find a Store on their site. The Prestige stores will be identified as such

Google usually lists them as Prestige also (as part of the store name).

#10328 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 04 April 2019 - 07:02 PM

Katamari has been in stock far longer than it was out of stock. The reprint happened pretty quickly and it is in plentiful supply right now.

Exactly.  That's why I don't understand the freakout for copies

#10329 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   821 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2019 - 07:20 PM

Unfortunately, the switch TIVs are hot garbage right now :(

#10330 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:04 PM

Unfortunately, the switch TIVs are hot garbage right now :(

Prestige Days are just harvesting switch games, reap your rewards during the stealth bumps...

#10331 Sqrtl007sqd  

Sqrtl007sqd

Posted 04 April 2019 - 09:09 PM

I've got a store near me that has a Prestige sign and their employees have Prestige name tags but the store doesn't come up as a Prestige store, so I'll make a trip there Saturday and hope they're still a Prestige store. If they're not, oh well it isn't too far out of the way

#10332 Malignpariah   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   48 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Malignpariah

Posted 05 April 2019 - 12:38 AM

I have a question that I am sure has been answered but can not find. Does the guaranteed trade in credit (Sekiro $30) stack with bonus trade credit for pre-ordering certain games and/or elite pro trade bonus? Thanks.

#10333 FatBoyInside   Money costs too much CAGiversary!   2569 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

FatBoyInside

Posted 05 April 2019 - 01:01 AM

I have a question that I am sure has been answered but can not find. Does the guaranteed trade in credit (Sekiro $30) stack with bonus trade credit for pre-ordering certain games and/or elite pro trade bonus? Thanks.

it will only stack with pro/elite membership bonus (the % bump will be from the base trade-in value).  Guaranteed trade credit promo will not work in conjunction with pre-order bonus trade promo.

#10334 kobeisgod   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   812 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

kobeisgod

Posted 05 April 2019 - 01:04 AM

Is this only for pro/elite members?

#10335 FatBoyInside   Money costs too much CAGiversary!   2569 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

FatBoyInside

Posted 05 April 2019 - 01:19 AM

Is this only for pro/elite members?

Nope.  Any customers entering the specified prestige store can take advantage of the one-day sale promotions.

#10336 CaoPi   (Chou Pei) Mousou nut, KOEI fan CAGiversary!   10727 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2019 - 01:28 AM

My Elite Pro went out last month. Anyone got a phone number I can borrow to check out in store? Might swing by for the prestige day event

#10337 IAMSAM34  

Posted 05 April 2019 - 01:36 AM

Seems like a lot of preowned prices went up.

#10338 WonkyToad   Switch Friend Code = SW-5381-8720-3041 - ADD ME!... if you w CAGiversary!   961 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2019 - 01:47 AM

I always wondered what you guys were talking about when you talk about prestige stores and prestige sales. I stumbled on one a couple of months ago. Just found out that it is the ONLY one within 50 miles of my house and only by a few miles. Wowwww...

#10339 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2876 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 05 April 2019 - 02:11 AM

On today's Gamescoop (Eppy 524), the crew talks about the inevitable death of pre-owned games. This comes on the heel of Gamestop posting a massive $670+million loss for the 2018 fiscal year. Damon correctly notes that Gamestop sold their mobile division last year for $700 million so this ACTUALLY means Gamestop lost over $1 billion.

In other words, Gamestop's slow demise may not really be all that slow. I think it's right to think this. Unlike Blockbuster, for example, Gamestop is not dealing with media that practically EVERYONE could use. These aren't movie dvds or blurays. These are videogames tied to the smaller audience of console gamers, and as physical games dry up (i.e., players buy digital), there is not only no inventory, but no buyers, either.

Many of us already know the writing is on the wall for Gamestop, but even so, I share in the Gamescoop crew's sadness to see the company's death on the near horizon.

Gamestop's end is coming folks. Unfortunately, probably a lot sooner than even some of us thought.

I for one will miss Gamestop. People like to hate on them, but overall, it was much better for consumers to have Gamestop around than not.

Too bad not enough people will see that until they're gone.

#10340 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1885 Posts   Joined 2.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2019 - 02:47 AM

Damon correctly notes that Gamestop sold their mobile division last year for $700 million so this ACTUALLY means Gamestop lost over $1 billion.

Which part is correctly noted? That they sold the mobile division or that it "ACTUALLY" means they lost $1 billion? I ask because the $1 billion statement is total nonsense. Now if you said $800M I'd believe it. "Damon" should feel free to figure out why, after he studies corporate finance.

Regardless, people are quick to point out prophecies for an obviously challenged company and industry. Boutique retail is not what it used to be, and GameStop is having a damn difficult time.

However, they did reduce their debt, so I'm a lot more optimistic about them surviving.

#10341 miamiheatnumber32   Won’t suck discord dick CAG in Training   46 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

miamiheatnumber32

Posted 05 April 2019 - 02:49 AM

On today's Gamescoop (Eppy 524), the crew talks about the inevitable death of pre-owned games. This comes on the heel of Gamestop posting a massive $670+million loss for the 2018 fiscal year. Damon correctly notes that Gamestop sold their mobile division last year for $700 million so this ACTUALLY means Gamestop lost over $1 billion.

In other words, Gamestop's slow demise may not really be all that slow. I think it's right to think this. Unlike Blockbuster, for example, Gamestop is not dealing with media that practically EVERYONE could use. These aren't movie dvds or blurays. These are videogames tied to the smaller audience of console gamers, and as physical games dry up (i.e., players buy digital), there is not only no inventory, but no buyers, either.

Many of us already know the writing is on the wall for Gamestop, but even so, I share in the Gamescoop crew's sadness to see the company's death on the near horizon.

Gamestop's end is coming folks. Unfortunately, probably a lot sooner than even some of us thought.

I for one will miss Gamestop. People like to hate on them, but overall, it was much better for consumers to have Gamestop around than not.

Too bad not enough people will see that until they're gone.

Which one of those guys is you?

#10342 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2876 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 05 April 2019 - 03:04 AM

Which part is correctly noted? That they sold the mobile division or that it "ACTUALLY" means they lost $1 billion? I ask because the $1 billion statement is total nonsense. Now if you said $800M I'd believe it. "Damon" should feel free to figure out why, after he studies corporate finance.

Regardless, people are quick to point out prophecies for an obviously challenged company and industry. Boutique retail is not what it used to be, and GameStop is having a damn difficult time.

However, they did reduce their debt, so I'm a lot more optimistic about them surviving.

Calm down chief. The correctly part was in reference to them selling the mobile division. I agree Damon doesn't quite get that right, but what he actually means to say is that if Gamestop hadn't sold that division (Spring Mobile) for $700 million, they would have reported a loss of $1 billion. It's a simple way of looking at it, but he's not that off.

Bottom line is what you said - Gamestop is having a terrible time and failing to find a way to stay relevant and profitable.

They did reduce their debt but that was expected by analysts - Gamestop has been good about doing that but that didn't do much for them in finding any serious buyers. That certainly not a good sign. May be they'll be more attractive now but probably not until they close a quarter or half their stores so they cut operating costs.

#10343 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2876 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 05 April 2019 - 03:09 AM

Which one of those guys is you?

Not sure what you mean by this? I enjoy Gamescoop - easily one of the best gaming podcasts out there though I also enjoy listening to Giantbomb, Giant Beastcast, Talking Reckless, Videogamer and Splitscreen.

I'm on the side of not wanting Gamestop to close. I've often mentioned here that I prefer physical media over digital. I don't buy digital at all.

That all said, I'm not delusional to think the market is going in that direction. Consumers have made it clear which one they prefer. I'll just keep supporting physical media until it either becomes too difficult to find or just unreasonably expensive.

I sometimes think PS4 may be the last console I own. Streaming services are clearly going to be the big focus next generation, and I figure the number of physical releases will slim down considerably.

#10344 inkcil   Banception...Baseball Ban in a Best Buy CAGiversary!   1468 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2019 - 03:47 AM

Unfortunately this is what gets talked about when there are no deals. Nothing wrong with the subject, but all the speculation is boring. We need deals...bad.

#10345 phoenixlau   backlogged CAGiversary!   574 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2019 - 03:54 AM

This is a completely nonsensical reading of the information.  It's not that hard to understand, in fact I already posted a pretty clear (IMO) explanation a few pages back (see below).  Doesn't require any special knowledge or financial savvy, just an actual reading of the earnings report, rather that spouting off ignorance at the hip like Daemon (the same guy who genuinely wondered on Game Scoop who Korean American citizens would be loyal to if North Korea ever invaded the US like in Homefront Revolution... some shameful old school Japanese internment camp type racism).

The $673 million loss is not as alarming as you might think. It's from a one-time writedown ("asset impairment changes"), where assets that were overvalued at X were reevaluated to actually be worth Y.

For example, Gamestop recently sold off their Spring mobile division for $700 million. If on their books they originally estimated the value of that division to be $1.4 billion, then the sale would be recorded as a $700 million loss, even if no actual liquid cash was lost.

Think of it like you buying a painting for $10 at a garage sale, and it turns out to be a long lost Picasso worth $100 million. But your kid accidentally throws his Wii remote through the painting and rips a hole in it. You can sell it now for $50 and still make a profit from your original investment, but you didn't actually "lose" $100 million in cash (you just don't have the ability to sell it for $100 million anymore). But if you were a corporation with earnings reports, you would need to record that as a $100 million loss because you no longer have that asset on the books, at least not at that value.

Of course that's not to say that everything is roses. Pre-owned sales were still down 13% for the year, but not including the asset impairment, their normal operations were still profitable to the tune of over $200 million. So you don't have to panic spend all your trade credit just yet.

#10346 toasterMekong  

toasterMekong

Posted 05 April 2019 - 05:27 AM

Not sure what you mean by this? I enjoy Gamescoop - easily one of the best gaming podcasts out there though I also enjoy listening to Giantbomb, Giant Beastcast, Talking Reckless, Videogamer and Splitscreen.

I'm on the side of not wanting Gamestop to close. I've often mentioned here that I prefer physical media over digital. I don't buy digital at all.

That all said, I'm not delusional to think the market is going in that direction. Consumers have made it clear which one they prefer. I'll just keep supporting physical media until it either becomes too difficult to find or just unreasonably expensive.

I sometimes think PS4 may be the last console I own. Streaming services are clearly going to be the big focus next generation, and I figure the number of physical releases will slim down considerably.

blah blah blah

#10347 shady520   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   507 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2019 - 05:49 AM

Not listening to the superior castle superbeast :dunce:

#10348 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2876 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 05 April 2019 - 05:51 AM

blah blah blah

Sorry not everyone here aims to talk about things YOU care about all the time. toasterMekong is the kind of newbie that ruins CAG for all of us. I see all you do is live off the deals others post here with nary a contribution. Next time, before you go around criticizing folks, check out whether they actually care about the community. I do. I post deals. I like to share around here and read/respond to others' ideas. This is a message board after all and we do that around here sometimes.

The $673 million loss is not as alarming as you might think. It's from a one-time writedown ("asset impairment changes"), where assets that were overvalued at X were reevaluated to actually be worth Y.

For example, Gamestop recently sold off their Spring mobile division for $700 million. If on their books they originally estimated the value of that division to be $1.4 billion, then the sale would be recorded as a $700 million loss, even if no actual liquid cash was lost.

Think of it like you buying a painting for $10 at a garage sale, and it turns out to be a long lost Picasso worth $100 million. But your kid accidentally throws his Wii remote through the painting and rips a hole in it. You can sell it now for $50 and still make a profit from your original investment, but you didn't actually "lose" $100 million in cash (you just don't have the ability to sell it for $100 million anymore). But if you were a corporation with earnings reports, you would need to record that as a $100 million loss because you no longer have that asset on the books, at least not at that value.

Of course that's not to say that everything is roses. Pre-owned sales were still down 13% for the year, but not including the asset impairment, their normal operations were still profitable to the tune of over $200 million. So you don't have to panic spend all your trade credit just yet.

Thanks phoenixlau. I appreciate the insight here. Glad to know it's not all doom and gloom.

#10349 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   821 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2019 - 12:57 PM

imo, gamestop (as a games specialty shop) will remain in business until preowned games are no longer viable.

they can diversify all they want (read = high profit margin widgets), but preowned sales are the high profit margin business that made them successful and most likely irreplaceable as far as shareholders are concerned.

could they transform into thinkgeek? sure, but the store traffic woukd plummit if they didn’t sell games.

also, the uninformed coming in for “deals” would also disappear if they only sold new games and didn’t accept trades.

the real bummer for me is that they might close a bunch of stores as leases run out...i’m a boom or bust trader that prefers to knock it out same day versus hold stock. this wouldn’t be worth it or possible if there are aren’t a bunch of stores.

#10350 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   821 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2019 - 01:00 PM

has prestige day been confirmed? i have 4 prestige stores in the area (though none are my typical go to stores)

i’m trying to decide if it’s worth the drive to hold stock...