* * * * - 24 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#1501 myid   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   14 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:08 AM

According to reddit, gamestop will only honor the elite membership through august 1st 2019.

Then it will revert to a pro membership.So it's a waste to renew beyond that, if what they say is true.

#1502 Sparky01GT  

Sparky01GT

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:12 AM

According to reddit, gamestop will only honor the elite membership through august 1st 2019.

Then it will revert to a pro membership.So it's a waste to renew beyond that, if what they say is true.

Yeah I saw one ASL post that, but you get so many conflicting stories over there. One of GS biggest problems I think is a lack of communication. Or maybe just like every company they have a few stupid employees who spout off when they have no clue what they are talking about.

#1503 Sparky01GT  

Sparky01GT

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:18 AM

Actually might as well renew. I'll get another B2G1 coupon, and then when they cancel the membership ina  year or whatever, they will most certainly give me my money back. So, free coupon.

#1504 bob330i   just lookin' CAGiversary!   3608 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:48 AM

Elite coupons have been removed from the Gamestop desktop website and also their in-store tablets.

If you need to renew, grab them off your phone and hope ...

thanks for the heads up.  I grabbed one on mobile so hopefully it should be usable tomorrow.

#1505 IAMSAM34  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:55 AM

thanks for the heads up. I grabbed one on mobile so hopefully it should be usable tomorrow.

Just did the same. Heading to GS now, haha

#1506 RedPandaKids  

RedPandaKids

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:08 AM

Anyone else hear that Elite level is going away starting tomorrow?

I was told that a message was sent out to the staff to inform them that starting tomorrow you cannot sign up for or renew Elite. Anyone else hear this?

Thank you. You gave a bunch of us enough warning to renew.

#1507 Kuroknight27   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   124 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Kuroknight27

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:20 AM

thanks for the heads up.  I grabbed one on mobile so hopefully it should be usable tomorrow.

Just did the same. Heading to GS now, haha

Does it take away the points when you get the coupon, or not until you take the coupon into GameStop?

#1508 MsterPanDa  

MsterPanDa

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:24 AM

Just went to renew before my store closes and one of the employee did know about the elite pro news. He told me it is so sudden and random. I was able to renew and decided to get the Mega Man Legacy Collection 1+2 for the PS4. Now I'm just wondering what to get with the b2g1. 

#1509 inkcil   Banception...Baseball Ban in a Best Buy CAGiversary!   1598 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:32 AM

Anyone else hear that Elite level is going away starting tomorrow?

I was told that a message was sent out to the staff to inform them that starting tomorrow you cannot sign up for or renew Elite. Anyone else hear this?

Thanks for the heads up, btw.  I sho' 'nuf did renew based on your "rumor." 

#1510 ssjr760   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   310 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:49 AM

Well it was great while it lasted. So any inside information on a possible trade bump for the PS4 pro

#1511 bondgirl  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 04:46 AM

I'm so glad I renewed this evening...I can't believe this program is ending so soon, it's disappointing. It feels like the gaming world is crumbling with first GCU being discontinued and now GS  :(. 

#1512 Blade   This is the way CAGiversary!   15301 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 04:51 AM

I'm so glad I renewed this evening...I can't believe this program is ending so soon, it's disappointing. It feels like the gaming world is crumbling with first GCU being discontinued and now GS  :(. 

Your name is bondgirl, you should be used to getting boned by rich old white men.

#1513 bondgirl  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 04:55 AM

Your name is bondgirl, you should be used to getting boned by rich old white men.

Unfortunately not :/. 

#1514 outcast529   <3 CAGiversary!   212 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:27 AM

They would have to refund people though. It's 30 bucks a pop for those membership years. They can't just kill it and keep your money, and not everyone is going to want to be refunded in "points" or something like that. I'm not sure how they would plan to do that.

If they do keep it, then the real fun will be seeing if pre owned prices drop over time so that the Pro tier looks like a better deal, making the remaining elite memberships much more valuable.

Edit : Speaking of trade values, did they just do a bump? I see more top tier Switch games than I did before.

If the do force people out of Elite, I suspect they would just revert back to a regular Pro member and double the length of the membership.  That would be the closest to a fair solution without hassling with refunds (although you would be missing out on some b2g1 coupons in that case).  Just my guess/opinion though.

#1515 mojoaoe  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:50 AM

Walked into local GS today. Notice she ogre manager was working. Great... she ogre always manages to ruin my trip there by making up fake restrictions to trades or purchases and then justifies it by saying “oh I’ve been working here for close to 20 years I know what I’m talking about” even though fine print clearly states otherwise she just won’t accept it. This time I just wanted to trade in local pick ups for cash. Discs are literally in flawless condition. And I mean one game looked like it was legit brand new. Notice she applies refurb fee and says I’m going to have to apply the refurb fee on these because there is some crust on the middle circle. I laugh and say “of course. I’ll just take them back.” Thank I’m done with school and leaving town soon, I legit hate this location and all because of one manager. I constantly feel bad for her employees. Must suck working with the she ogre. Out of like 10-15 GS I’ve been to she ogre is the only person/ogre I’ve had to complain to corporate about and I’ve never complained about a employee in any setting before. The GS an hour away knows about her as well, I share my she ogre stories with them when I go visit. The dudes get a kick out of it. Man how I wish they were my local store instead of this one...

#1516 argyle   Mr. Lucky CAGiversary!   6453 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:03 AM

This may be overly optimistic, but...

Part of me wonders if the 2 tiered program was just too confusing for the average GS customer. Most of the time when I've been in my local store the guys would only try to sell the regular Pro memberships to other customers, and even then they often didn't seem to understand the benefits. Heck, I overheard a customer asking the old "can I play current gen games on a last gen system?" question just a week or two ago. The average joe off the street is NOT that bright...

So once the dust settles we MAY end up seeing a boost in benefits for the standard membership, or at least a rise in trade-in values to adjust for it. 

#1517 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:08 AM

Even then they would still have to offer the option of refunds I would think. Customer can easily argue "I didn't buy 2 years of Pro, I bought 1 year of elite.". They can't sell you one thing and then swap it for something else and keep your money.

Depends on what the terms of service say. I don't feel like reading it over $30 LOL

#1518 anotherpoorgamer   Bird's Nest Hair CAGiversary!   5597 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

anotherpoorgamer

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:27 AM

Ah man, I let my Elite membership lapse.  I should have renewed last week.

#1519 daring  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:42 AM

Can GameStop giftcard (not trade credit but real giftcard purchase online) be use to purchase homedepot giftcard?

#1520 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:56 AM

Yeah I saw one ASL post that, but you get so many conflicting stories over there. One of GS biggest problems I think is a lack of communication. Or maybe just like every company they have a few stupid employees who spout off when they have no clue what they are talking about.

Occasionally you get an employee talking out of his behind, but really its poor communication from the top. They give conflicting information and ridiculous sales goals too. I feel sorry for most of the employees (I dont feel sorry for the few bad employees and managers I encounter). One guy likened it to being told to dance to a song while corporate shoots at his feet, only to change the song mid dance

#1521 IAMSAM34  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:31 AM

Does it take away the points when you get the coupon, or not until you take the coupon into GameStop?

Points are taken as soon as you claim the coupon

#1522 doc_j88   CAG Vet CAGiversary!   1476 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:50 AM

Tuesday is the LAST day to apply for Renew your elite plus

Wednesday it will be gone forever

#1523 PulsarInferno  

PulsarInferno

Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:21 PM

Yea my Gamestop runs a facebook page they posted you have till close of business today to renew after today you cant get Elite anymore.

#1524 Jhingles  

Jhingles

Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:30 PM

Really wish we had some kind of confirmation whether the August 1st 2019 cutoff limit is for real. I'm not sure I want to spend the extra money for additional years now and then have to deal with GSs horrid customer service when they inevitably screw it up. Annoying how there's barely any information about such a big policy change.

#1525 DoubleDam21  

DoubleDam21

Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:33 PM

Really wish we had some kind of confirmation whether the August 1st 2019 cutoff limit is for real. I'm not sure I want to spend the extra money for additional years now and then have to deal with GSs horrid customer service when they inevitably screw it up. Annoying how there's barely any information about such a big policy change.

Yeah same here. I went and talked to a good friend that works/manages at GameStop and asked him about this. He just sighed real loud and said “No this is just a rumor. They value their Elite Pro way too much”. I’m good until 2019 but don’t know if I want to chance adding another year on a whim.

#1526 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:42 PM

I'm adding a more few years...The risk of a relatively small expenditure/loss today of $60 or $90 today is far outweighed by the gain of 2-3 years of 10% bonus trade/used sales. I mean the used prices will obviously go down when Elite is gone, and I bet the trade promos will be a lot more enticing.

#1527 doc_j88   CAG Vet CAGiversary!   1476 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:43 PM

Yeah same here. I went and talked to a good friend that works/manages at GameStop and asked him about this. He just sighed real loud and said “No this is just a rumor. They value their Elite Pro way too much”. I’m good until 2019 but don’t know if I want to chance adding another year on a whim.

Your friend told you a lie

My friend who is the store leader told me that they want to keep it under raps

But he told me that it is official. Elite Pro is ending. Mostly Because it lost GameStop money

I’m in GA

#1528 AceDegenerate   Ace Degenerate CAGiversary!   227 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

AceDegenerate

Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:43 PM

Renewal is disabled on the Website?

#1529 DoubleDam21  

DoubleDam21

Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:49 PM

Your friend told you a lie

My friend who is the store leader told me that they want to keep it under raps

But he told me that it is official. Elite Pro is ending. Mostly Because it lost GameStop money

I’m in GA

Yeah I actually just learned about it but the more I have read the more I’m sure he is trying to keep it “under wraps” as you said. Sad to see it go but a little surprised they didn’t just take it down like B.B. did with GCU.

Also would it be easier to renew with points on mobile or in store?

#1530 Vigilante   poyo CAGiversary!   38067 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:56 PM

How do you know how much longer you have on elite?

Mobile: Log in to the GS app, select "Rewards" on the bottom, then tap "Lifetime Points".

Desktop: Log in to your account, select "PowerUp Rewards" tab, and the expiration date is on that page.