* * * * - 8 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#1651 Viper X  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:57 PM

Huge props to my awesome store employees who not only renewed me today but even told me it was ending and suggested that I renew now before I could even ask about it.

Feel bad for people in like FL who are getting denied even though the system obviously allows it. I'm in MA by the way.

Also feel bad for all those sticker changes employees are gonna have to do tomorrow lol.

People are going to have to do their Math now because prices will not reflect Elite savings anymore online (unless added to cart) and in store.

#1652 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4000 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:58 PM

I think being elite in the next 2-3 years is going to be a big target on your back for a JD if you're into flipping at all. I already get the comment "wow you're elite pro?!" All the time from employees.

JD? That seems really odd that the employees would say that too. I flip to my store and have never really had issues, but the manager that I liked had his last day a week ago and his replacement is a transfer from the local mall store. Unfortunately for me, the transfer manager is one of those guys that tries to do everything by the book, which is fine, but he goes about it like a complete douche. I doubt that guy is letting anyone renew Elite Pro memberships today too. 

#1653 shadowassailantx   Trophy Hunter CAGiversary!   121 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

shadowassailantx

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:00 PM

I think being elite in the next 2-3 years is going to be a big target on your back for a JD if you're into flipping at all. I already get the comment "wow you're elite pro?!" All the time from employees.

The turnover rate is so high at most locations that in 3 months chances are the employees will have never heard of Elite Plus

#1654 Zenaphobe Zerj   Deep Sea Lurker CAGiversary!   608 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Zenaphobe Zerj

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:02 PM

Just tell them it makes every day feel like gamestop is handing you a birthday coupon, and you couldn't let another 1095 birthdays go by without that glorious coupon. they'll be so confused by the logic they won't be bothered to ask again.

In all sincerity, didn't think about that, so now you have me concerned as well lol.

#1655 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:02 PM

Not really a problem if you aren't boomeranging

#1656 sandrshe   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   28 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

sandrshe

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:08 PM

Ok. I just purchased new membership today. So if go back to the store, I can renew for multiple years? I thought for $30 it was for 2 yrs like best buy was.

#1657 jbg87   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   319 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:14 PM

anyway to guess the next retro flash sale? 

#1658 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4000 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:15 PM

The turnover rate is so high at most locations that in 3 months chances are the employees will have never heard of Elite Plus

In my area seems like the managers stick around forever. Game Advisors (or whatever they call part-timers now) are constantly changing though. 

Ok. I just purchased new membership today. So if go back to the store, I can renew for multiple years? I thought for $30 it was for 2 yrs like best buy was.

Gamestop Pro and Elite Pro Memberships are annual 1-year memberships. GCU was an insane deal at $30 for 2 years, it's part of the reason we all love it so much. 

#1659 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   3517 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:27 PM

JD? That seems really odd that the employees would say that too. I flip to my store and have never really had issues, but the manager that I liked had his last day a week ago and his replacement is a transfer from the local mall store. Unfortunately for me, the transfer manager is one of those guys that tries to do everything by the book, which is fine, but he goes about it like a complete douche. I doubt that guy is letting anyone renew Elite Pro memberships today too. 

Take note of the employees that suck, and if they're the only one working when you walk in:

zGHQb4O.gif?2

#1660 Omni99  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:31 PM

What puts the target on your back the most for me has been saving tons of points and not using them. Gets me a comment every single time.

#1661 SukhShanti  

SukhShanti

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:32 PM

Just renewed here in the Bay Area for 5 years, one of which was from the coupon, I am good till 2023... if they last that long!

#1662 Viper X  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:32 PM

What puts the target on your back the most for me has been saving tons of points and not using them. Gets me a comment every single time.

That and when they see your trade card has $300+ on it.

#1663 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:34 PM

That and when they see your trade card has $300+ on it.

The worst is when they announce to the whole store your massive point balance at the beginning of the transaction and then read your trade card balance off the receipt at the end.

#1664 inkcil   Banception...Baseball Ban in a Best Buy CAGiversary!   1153 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:40 PM

On the plus side, this wording implies they will honor the Elite benefits for as long as you are signed up for it, and not "Aug 1, 2019" as was rumored.

Well, depends on what they define as the "current membership period."  Is that the rolling year your membership is currently in?  For instance, I renewed over the weekend to extend Elite to late August 2019.  But my "current" elite membership period ends last August 2018.  Will they honor the "next" rolling period?  We'll see...doesn't sound like it.  Sounds more like when the current period of membership ends, it's over.  

#1665 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2657 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:48 PM

This is definitely a big one, I've started using my points on digital currency or used game discounts now instead of stashing the points because this gets a comment every time if you have more than 15k points.

#1666 Rick Astley  

Rick Astley

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:19 PM

Got elite pro until August 2018. Really debating whether I should try to renew. I don’t really wanna spend on it if Theres a chance they’d cancel it if I renew or somethin

#1667 Dranakin   Member Since Oct 2003 CAGiversary!   2737 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:23 PM

Conspiracy theory: GameStop issued the emailed statement, knowing that it would drive traffic to its stores and get people to join/resubscribe for multiple years, allowing corporate to show inflated membership numbers to investors through the next quarter.

Spoiler

Anyway, I stopped by my local store and renewed my Elite Pro through the end of next year. Took less than 1 minute from door in to door out.

#1668 Sparky01GT  

Sparky01GT

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:34 PM

Just renewed for yet another year with no issue. Good until Dec 2020 in SW FL.

#1669 coolrust   Kupalizm Mode CAGiversary!   862 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

coolrust

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:38 PM

renewed one at vacaville ca, they knew today is the last day and they encouraged me to renew it today.

#1670 ajourneywelove  

ajourneywelove

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:39 PM

Renewed for another year with no issue too. Wanted to renew for more than 1 year using points, but they only allowed me 1 year

#1671 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   3517 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:48 PM

Damn you guys, gonna go renew for another year. Had some expensive lessons this past 2 weeks, so hopefully this isn't another one.

#1672 sodapopinski   CAGin' Since '06 CAGiversary!   213 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

sodapopinski

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:00 PM

My stores were only allowing 1 renewal at a time. Was able to renew once then drove down the street to a different location and renewed again. Employees mentioned they weren't allowed to renew today.

#1673 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:38 PM

anyway to guess the next retro flash sale? 

They always start on Fridays.  Other than that, none that Im aware of.

#1674 c.gibbits   Back to the roots. CAGiversary!   256 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

c.gibbits

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:41 PM

Has anyone else had trouble submitting any kind of online orders today? I havent been able to today and yesterday. Tried different browsers and clearing cache. 

#1675 Sparky01GT  

Sparky01GT

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:52 PM

Also, I figured out how to spend my trade credit. They have a plethora of gift cards you can buy. Amazon, Ebay, Gas, and Visa are off limits he said, but Home Depot, Lowes, Uber, a bunch of restaurants, plus all the digital game stores. I'm not too worried about it now.

#1676 plus1zero   The wall just got 10 feet higher CAGiversary!   6680 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:58 PM

Renewed another year, hopefully I get another year of deals like I have this year

#1677 Rick Astley  

Rick Astley

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:02 PM

Decided to extend my elite pro. Didn’t really wanna pay out of pocket so just went for one year membership. Hopefully I don’t end up regretting renewing for more

#1678 baboonfreak   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1130 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

baboonfreak

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:24 PM

Has anyone else had trouble submitting any kind of online orders today? I havent been able to today and yesterday. Tried different browsers and clearing cache. 

I've had no issues with Microsoft Edge browser - did an order just fine on it yesterday. Firefox always gives me issues.

#1679 Rotondo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   79 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:30 PM

I haven't been able to place orders on any of my pcs, or even my phone/ipad through the browser on 4G.

For the last retro sale I ended up placing on an order via the ios app.

I wonder if a lot of people weren't able to place orders recently, which would explain why a lot of in demand retro stuff stayed in stock for so long.

Edit: for browsers I tried Safari on my mac. On PC I did firefox and chrome.

#1680 Owen Quillion  

Owen Quillion

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:32 PM

Similar to some of the others, I've noticed the whole site occasionally just runs like hot, soupy garbage on Firefox. I haven't had it crap out while ordering (yet, not that I do much), but if I'm doing anything more than checking my points/coupons I usually use Chrome.