* * * * - 16 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#21661 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   3609 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 09 December 2019 - 04:08 PM

And some stores know you and will ask for your account info, since there's no legit reason not to use it.

#21662 Squidfinity  

Squidfinity

Posted 09 December 2019 - 05:26 PM

I just noticed I received 2 birthday coupons this month. Same account, different codes. I hadn't checked yet so not sure if they were simultaneous. Anyway, heads up maybe if you're expecting one.

#21663 jedex   Elite Chemist CAGiversary!   1070 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2019 - 05:40 PM

For those judging everyone’s hourly who flips on GS, I wonder how much they get paid per hour for their dedicated work posting that drivel on here.

At work now
Corporate job

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#21664 briandadude   Vita + Xbox + Switch CAGiversary!   897 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

briandadude

Posted 09 December 2019 - 05:41 PM

You can. But then you pay more with no 10% discount. Makes the margins a bit tighter on what you're getting per flip. Hence why people have multiple accounts.

I thought the 4/10 type deals didn't stack with membership promos anyway.

#21665 Dranakin   Member Since Oct 2003 CAGiversary!   2962 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2019 - 05:51 PM

I thought the 4/10 type deals didn't stack with membership promos anyway.

It works with the Pro or Elite membership, as do most other used game promos. Whether it's worth it to save 10-20% on each item (which amounts to $1 each at most), that's a choice you'll have to make.

#21666 Nephilim_BC  

Nephilim_BC

Posted 09 December 2019 - 05:55 PM

At work now
Corporate job

and all you can afford is a galaxy note 8?!

#21667 capndan   It's for your health! CAGiversary!   175 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2019 - 05:58 PM

Trying to recall, does the Birthday coupon stack with Pro? 10% + 20% =30% or is it 10% off, then 20% off.

Or worse, it doesn't stack at all? I don't think I've ever used one before.

#21668 TuscaloosaJohnny  

TuscaloosaJohnny

Posted 09 December 2019 - 06:02 PM

At work now
Corporate job

Do they pay you a bonus per CAG post?

#21669 SoulEdgeVII   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   744 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

SoulEdgeVII

Posted 09 December 2019 - 06:42 PM

Can you also use reward certs with the 20% birthday?

#21670 Squidfinity  

Squidfinity

Posted 09 December 2019 - 06:51 PM

Can you also use reward certs with the 20% birthday?

Reward certs are going to come off of the original price, so using them in conjunction with a percent off coupon reduces their effective value.

#21671 jbg87   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   739 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:28 PM

Left 4 dead 2 trades in for 11 probably highest I’ve seen in a while

I wish I kept more copies I sold some during October since those games sell well during the scary month

#21672 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3458 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:51 PM

Left 4 dead 2 trades in for 11 probably highest I’ve seen in a while

I wish I kept more copies I sold some during October since those games sell well during the scary month

When I was at a store yesterday one of the employees was complaining about someone ordering 5 copies of left for dead 2 for store pick up. I figured he knew something I didn't.

#21673 jms209   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   810 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:33 PM

I don't care what people do, they can flip games, take advantage of glitches or oversights,etc...

I just don't want to hear people complain that they got banned, harassed by staff about trade ins, etc.... when you bought games to trade in the same day and got caught... Use some common sense and you'll be fine.

As someone mentioned it comes with territory, just man up and deal with the consequences.(if it comes to that)

#21674 inkcil   Banception...Baseball Ban in a Best Buy CAGiversary!   1469 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:42 PM

Dave is laughing at all of us.

His plan all along was to "divide and conquer" us and so far it seems to be working. 

#21675 Super Strider TurbulenceEX   Son of the Old Gods CAGiversary!   767 Posts   Joined 2.2 Years Ago  

Super Strider TurbulenceEX

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:53 PM

I don't care what people do, they can flip games, take advantage of glitches or oversights,etc...

I just don't want to hear people complain that they got banned, harassed by staff about trade ins, etc.... when you bought games to trade in the same day and got caught... Use some common sense and you'll be fine.

As someone mentioned it comes with territory, just man up and deal with the consequences.(if it comes to that)

So you do care!!

#21676 aircobra   The Wind CAGiversary!   3653 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:57 PM

Says they don't care. Doesn't want to hear people complain. Then proceeds to complain about other people.

#21677 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14870 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:58 PM

It also helps that I avoid the stores that I'm not on good terms with, as inconvenient as it is.

Oh the satisfaction when a store that you've sworn off gets shuttered though. I've personally helped put three stores (not GameStops) out of business after they pissed me off. I do have to wonder if our (jokingly) rumored family ties to mafia have helped though. . . :lol:

#21678 jimbo8574   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   8226 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:37 PM

I also make considerably more than a GameStop manager (even before overtime), so no need to tell me to get a real job. I do this because I collect and it's fun and gives me an excuse to go to all these different GameStops and see what interesting things they have.

At least your not a scumbag like me who keeps the steel books.  I have like 4 I think.  I feel so bad about myself.  

Borderlands 3 (still have the disc), Tomb Raider 30 year edition, Tomb Raider Shadow of the Tomb Raider and latest South Park.   If BL3 was cheap enough this past week on PSN I would have traded the disc and kept the steel book too.  

#21679 WigBuster   Banned Banned   296 Posts   Joined 0.8 Years Ago  

WigBuster

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:46 PM

It works with the Pro or Elite membership, as do most other used game promos. Whether it's worth it to save 10-20% on each item (which amounts to $1 each at most), that's a choice you'll have to make.

It doesnt online for whatever reason. Probably part of their shitty new website. I cant complain though, this is the first time these deals have been online in at least 2 years

#21680 ThatOneGuyWho   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6839 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

ThatOneGuyWho

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:48 PM

Maybe a change of subject is in order. Tomorrow is the earning report for Q3. I'm not expecting good news. I honestly think in a few months their Holiday sales number are going to be way below expectations as well. Many stores I stopped into doing these flips I was the only person in there. That's a far cry from a year ago.

My local store said they were pretty empty on BF and CM. It was packed the first hour but died down after that. Wouldn't be surprised to see they didn't meet projected figures this Q4.

#21681 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   5700 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:52 PM

Maybe a change of subject is in order. Tomorrow is the earning report for Q3. I'm not expecting good news. I honestly think in a few months their Holiday sales number are going to be way below expectations as well. Many stores I stopped into doing these flips I was the only person in there. That's a far cry from a year ago.

A poster on the GS subreddit said he expects more than the announced 200 store closures within the next year because he already knows of 80 in just 5 states in the very near future. I think this is the first time stores have liquidated inventory instead of shipping to other stores. That can't be a good sign.

#21682 WWF   Yours Forever Faithfully Silenced   1117 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:53 PM

Yeah even the last two years they were -line out the store/employee shops for you- busy, even after dark 8-9PM. Maybe this year they opened a little too early on Thursday, but when I came around there was maybe as many people as during a modern "midnight launch", me and maybe 5-6 other people or families. That Spiderman PS4 might've drove a lot of people in that the repeat deal so to speak this year didn't. (Even though those console deals were pretty good this year people might not want to buy em knowing they'll be irrelevant next Xmas )

#21683 WigBuster   Banned Banned   296 Posts   Joined 0.8 Years Ago  

WigBuster

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:17 PM

If GS were to go bankrupt it likely would be the end of physical gaming, and would probably create such a massive hole that I dont even know if publishers/developers could come back from. So much business goes in and out of GS, and they are the only retailer with any type of mass variety, including older gen stuff that you are either going to have to buy from amazon at $30 new/used or go on ebay and take your chances. No one should root for GS to fail, even as shitty as some of their practices are, because they are what holds (at least physical) gaming together.

#21684 Fanboygamer   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   213 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Fanboygamer

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:51 PM

If GS were to go bankrupt it likely would be the end of physical gaming, and would probably create such a massive hole that I dont even know if publishers/developers could come back from. So much business goes in and out of GS, and they are the only retailer with any type of mass variety, including older gen stuff that you are either going to have to buy from amazon at $30 new/used or go on ebay and take your chances. No one should root for GS to fail, even as shitty as some of their practices are, because they are what holds (at least physical) gaming together.

Before they go bankrupt a big company like Amazon or Walmart will buy them so they have a bigger online presence with used games. Maybe even Rakuten.

#21685 Big Boss Mario   Wii You CAGiversary!   483 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Big Boss Mario

Posted 09 December 2019 - 11:00 PM

A poster on the GS subreddit said he expects more than the announced 200 store closures within the next year because he already knows of 80 in just 5 states in the very near future. I think this is the first time stores have liquidated inventory instead of shipping to other stores. That can't be a good sign.

The closures have already started. There is a store near my area north of the Gamestop HQ in Grapevine, TX that has all the clearance signs and everything is starting at 30% off and started Sunday.  Its not a prestige store.  The location is still on the Gamestop store locations site though.

#21686 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   4291 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 09 December 2019 - 11:15 PM

I have been watching Camelot331 on Youtube and he has tons of videos from employees (store level and even corporate level) telling him inside info about store closures and any drama that is dealt with working for GS. Closures are happening now and will continue till summer according to the videos.

#21687 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2877 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 09 December 2019 - 11:39 PM

I have been watching Camelot331 on Youtube and he has tons of videos from employees (store level and even corporate level) telling him inside info about store closures and any drama that is dealt with working for GS. Closures are happening now and will continue till summer according to the videos.

I thought GS already previewed their intent to close stores months ago. It's pretty obvious based on their number of stores and performance estimates that the company has way too many retail locations. Not sure if they'll opt to take a massive closure approach after the holidays or phase them, but it's inevitable at this point.

As for physical games, yes, GS is the last defense for them, but it seems a war already well lost. Unless trends suddenly reverse, game sales will continue to go digital. Physical releases will probably increasingly become a premium option that will be able to demand higher prices. AAA releases and console exclusives will continue to get mass disc releases, but hard to see most others taking that route in lieu of the far less risky, more profitable digital only approach.

As I've said elsewhere, love or hate, GS is likely one of the reasons we've had discs this generation. It'll be sad to see it either die out or become super niche.

I highly doubt Wal-Mart or Target or any big box retailer would buy them out. B&M retail is a highly volatile business and I can't imagine any of these retailers wanting to deal with GS' future, which looks more and more like a business whose time has come and gone.

I'm one of those gamers that are committed to physical releases. When the industry largely moves to digital, meaning games I buy start to just go digital, or start putting most of the game into patches or DLC, that will be it for me.

PS5/Scarlett are more than likely the last disc-based consoles so at least there's one more generation left.

#21688 bigstew  

Posted 09 December 2019 - 11:43 PM

i think that since the old regimes policys that had them throw out old systems/cheap games into dumpsters (never admited since it varied by store) and their shift in policys with forced subscriptions/sales for employess that drove away the better employes to seek employment, the messed up online system, they just have it to hard to bounce back plus the big three to push digital only/rental programs controled buy them to drive up prices they are in a tuff spot, personally if they actually stocked good stuff and old stuff and not throw everything into a clear container or bothered to not over pay for rental stores and invest into bigger more consumer friendlier stores they would do better, no matter what sales they run, if i have to spend a ton of time on wrong infomation or store inventory or waisting time looking to buy a product that isnt available online since it isnt a search option, or ordering online which just ships from the nearest store only to find its acceptable to ship an empty case or wrong game as ok...

#21689 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAG Veteran   624 Posts   Joined 1.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2019 - 11:55 PM

We are the old/last generation that still likes physical. Kids these days are inconvienced to swap cartridges, and prefer instant transactions like Apple Pay. At most it'll be little mini-game boxes with digital codes inside. (like the mini-xbox ones you see at BB, but smaller!)

My prediction when GS goes under is that someone will buy their name and open up self-serve kiosks that are supplied by drones (from the amazon mother drone ship!) kind of like Redboxes, but located inside larger retailers like Target, Malls, Airports, or maybe even your local highschool!

#21690 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2877 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 10 December 2019 - 12:00 AM

i think that since the old regimes policys that had them throw out old systems/cheap games into dumpsters (never admited since it varied by store) and their shift in policys with forced subscriptions/sales for employess that drove away the better employes to seek employment, the messed up online system, they just have it to hard to bounce back plus the big three to push digital only/rental programs controled buy them to drive up prices they are in a tuff spot, personally if they actually stocked good stuff and old stuff and not throw everything into a clear container or bothered to not over pay for rental stores and invest into bigger more consumer friendlier stores they would do better, no matter what sales they run, if i have to spend a ton of time on wrong infomation or store inventory or waisting time looking to buy a product that isnt available online since it isnt a search option, or ordering online which just ships from the nearest store only to find its acceptable to ship an empty case or wrong game as ok...

While I get people who get on GS' case about how they handle retro games (and yes, it's never made sense that they throw out the manuals and boxes), few ever talk about the fact that a retro business would - even at its absolute best - be a super niche service that would never generate profits sustainable to keep GS afloat at its current retail exposure.

No one is printing more old games so there is a low ceiling for potential sales, and demand for old games will never reach mass appeal. Further, nothing stops publishers like Nintendo from capitalizing from old games on their own so who needs GS for this in the long run? Sadly, no one.