* * * * - 6 votes

The Home Arcade Tremendous Deals and Discussion Thread. Renamed by a beautiful Executive Order. Believe me.

#2161 Tyf   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   20 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2020 - 04:44 PM

I think I'd bite at $600 of it could be Modded for classic tables.  

There's info out there on the at games legends pinball machine.  Looks like solid specs.  32" main monitor with 1" bezel.  14" monitor (I think) on the back glass for extra stuff.  BYOG with usb built in and all the typical at games stuff.  Sounds like they are trying to do for pinball what they did for home arcade stuff... a one stop box.  Farsight studios is handling the software and built in tables.  It's compatible in BYOG with all the other main pinball software packages out there.  Overall... kind of tempting.  I think it's $600.  pdubs arcade on youtube has videos about it... though it's just specs so far, I think.

#2162 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   232 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 12 June 2020 - 05:17 PM

I have zero interest in any of these, which is great news for my wallet and lack of space. I like what they are doing with pinball but would be far more interested in the Star Wars one- plus I’m almost finished building my own virtual pinball table.

The best news I’ve heard so far was during an interview with retro Ralph- they are still working on a golden tee/silver strike bowling cabinet. That’s a day one instant purchase for me.

Their entire focus should just be on things that aren't easily emulated, such as higher end titles like KI2 or things that totally lose the experience without the right controls (for instance, Golden Tee is easy to emulate, but absolutely sucks without the trackball). This is where I think they are getting it right with things like Golden Tee trackball, Star Wars yoke, and the lightgun and pinball stuff coming out (TBD on that experience, but very interesting).

Where they are getting it wrong is things like 2-4 games per unit, including 3 different Marvel cabinets (which now include SNES games apparently, which it a total rip off).

And this little size thing has to go. What started out maybe as kind of a novel concept is pointless now because everything now includes a riser, and now they're somewhat the right height but the width is now screwed up and it's just a jumbled mess. Just ditch this stacking thing and make them a normal standard size. I recall seeing something about it being a legal issue or something, but AT Games, previously known as the worst company in the world, seemed to get around it so figure it out.

In fact, between being a normal size, having a decent variety of controls, online connectivity, allowing firmware updates, and giving you the ability to add your own games, AT Games is actually doing a ton of stuff right. Basically the only thing they haven't done right so far is change their name from AT Games to something else.

#2163 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   727 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2020 - 05:33 PM

Their entire focus should just be on things that aren't easily emulated, such as higher end titles like KI2 or things that totally lose the experience without the right controls (for instance, Golden Tee is easy to emulate, but absolutely sucks without the trackball). This is where I think they are getting it right with things like Golden Tee trackball, Star Wars yoke, and the lightgun and pinball stuff coming out (TBD on that experience, but very interesting).

Where they are getting it wrong is things like 2-4 games per unit, including 3 different Marvel cabinets (which now include SNES games apparently, which it a total rip off).

And this little size thing has to go. What started out maybe as kind of a novel concept is pointless now because everything now includes a riser, and now they're somewhat the right height but the width is now screwed up and it's just a jumbled mess. Just ditch this stacking thing and make them a normal standard size. I recall seeing something about it being a legal issue or something, but AT Games, previously known as the worst company in the world, seemed to get around it so figure it out.

In fact, between being a normal size, having a decent variety of controls, online connectivity, allowing firmware updates, and giving you the ability to add your own games, AT Games is actually doing a ton of stuff right. Basically the only thing they haven't done right so far is change their name from AT Games to something else.

Aren't these cabinets pretty much just running emulators under the hood?  I'm guessing it's just a linux OS of sorts that boots directly into their front end that is running emulated games under the hood.  If games like KI2 aren't emulated properly then I'm guessing these guys aren't going to be able to do it.  

#2164 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   232 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 12 June 2020 - 07:37 PM

Aren't these cabinets pretty much just running emulators under the hood? I'm guessing it's just a linux OS of sorts that boots directly into their front end that is running emulated games under the hood. If games like KI2 aren't emulated properly then I'm guessing these guys aren't going to be able to do it.

Oh it's doable, they just have to be willing to think outside the alibaba a million units for 20 cents hardware specials. Might be outside their business model which is perfectly fair, but with so much floor space being dedicated to 2-4 games, even people who like these are eventually going to run out of housing space, so maybe consider upping the ante by offering something Joe Schmo can't just emulate on their NES Classic. And if you think about it, it's not asking for much in most cases. Start with a Celeron 486 and adjust upward or downward from there.

#2165 BrandonJF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   691 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

BrandonJF

Posted 12 June 2020 - 09:44 PM

That's only if people keep ignoring the #1 difference between what AT Games is doing and what Arcade1Up is doing.  Arcade1Up is making 3/4 scale licensed replicas of arcade cabinets.  AT Games is not.  That Legends cab will evoke zero nostalgia from anyone looking at it, like any of these generic multi-game cabs.  Those appeal of those Arcade1Up cabs is really not just about the games.  Anyone that just wants to play some arcade games while standing up should not even be looking at an Arcade1Up product.

#2166 slamoco   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   159 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2020 - 11:54 PM

*This above /\ - different consumer targets all together. Love both (and actual Arcade cabs), but they all are different and meant for different people and different reasons.

#2167 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   232 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 13 June 2020 - 03:32 AM

Anyone that just wants to play some arcade games while standing up should not even be looking at an Arcade1Up product.

That comment has so much wrong with it lol. If dimensionless visual nostalgia is truly all you're looking for, wouldn't a poster be a lot cheaper and take up a whole lot less space? To me, the ENTIRE nostalgic aspect of arcade games is EXACTLY standing up while playing a game. When I think back to the arcades of yesteryear, I don't ever seem to recall playing games on my knees or sitting on a stool.

In that regard, the ALU machine (which I don't own) would actually achieve that nostagic experience better than the A1U (which I do own several of). I guess I don't really buy the whole "decorative nostagia" argument for A1U because no arcade machine was ever 3 feet tall. If something that looks kind of like it was all you're after and size is irrelevant, again seems like you can achieve this with a picture or something that sits on your desk like a NeoGeo mini. I'd rather have something scaled to proper standing height and have the option to put my own stuff on it.

Again, just my personal take and I guess we're lucky that there are multiple products out with clear factors of differentiation. I just wish the one that would seem to suit me better didn't have the name "AT Games" associated with it.

#2168 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   15000 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2020 - 07:31 AM

How are the pi4 images working out?  anyone see any performance improvements?

Can't speak to past images, but the ones I've used worked great with Naomi and Dreamcast games; N64 was still chugging though. Newer images I've heard are improving though.

X-Men vs Street Fighter woooo. Crazy that they can get theses games but Capcom won’t put them on new consoles.

Need a Street Fighter Alpha cab and a Marvel vs Capcom 2 cap.

Can't believe they got MvC and didn't include 2. Not that it matters for me anyway; been playing it just fine on the rpi4. ;)

#2169 gepet0   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1375 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2020 - 12:35 PM

Can't speak to past images, but the ones I've used worked great with Naomi and Dreamcast games; N64 was still chugging though. Newer images I've heard are improving though.

Can't believe they got MvC and didn't include 2. Not that it matters for me anyway; been playing it just fine on the rpi4. ;)

The weird thing is I bought a pi4 8gb and I have tried a couple of pi4 images that I have downloaded and I haven't been able to get them to boot.   Is there a setup special process for the pi4.  With the pi3 you download move to sd card and that was it.   TIA

I unzipped with win rar,7 etc transfered using belena and it finishes but wont boot on the pi 4 8gb different sd cards different size images.  

#2170 MrshllJcb   Drinkin High Life CAGiversary!   4380 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2020 - 01:53 PM

You have to create an image on the SD using something like Balena Etcher, not just move the file to the SD

#2171 gepet0   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1375 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2020 - 06:57 PM

You have to create an image on the SD using something like Balena Etcher, not just move the file to the SD

I unzipped with win rar,7 etc transfered using belena and it finishes but wont boot on the pi 4 8gb different sd cards different size images.

#2172 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   727 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2020 - 07:31 PM

You don't copy the image to it like drag/drop it. 

You have to write it with an image writer piece of software like winimage to write the image to the card.

#2173 gepet0   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1375 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2020 - 01:17 AM

Thanks everyone a bad 256 sd card.  

#2174 Indiana Jones   Yippie kai yay! CAGiversary!   2423 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Indiana Jones

Posted 15 June 2020 - 07:36 AM

Don't think anyone here will buy these at these prices, but I'll still mention that Best Buy has a few items on sale:

Golden Tee cabinet $284.99

Galaga cabinet with riser $339.99

Pac-Man table 449.99

#2175 avatar94   CAG Addict CAGiversary!   584 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:38 AM

Countercades dropped to $99 also for Dig Dug or Space Invaders or Centipede / Missile Command

Centipede/MC is a bit tempting cuz trackball

#2176 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   551 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2020 - 11:52 AM

Don't think anyone here will buy these at these prices, but I'll still mention that Best Buy has a few items on sale:

Golden Tee cabinet $284.99
Galaga cabinet with riser $339.99
Pac-Man table 449.99

I’d buy golden tee at that price and I’m sure a lot of other people will as well- except maybe those on this site.

That’s the lowest I’ve seen it at but I’ve waited this long- I’ll still hold out for the golden tee/silver strike cabinet.

#2177 BrandonJF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   691 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

BrandonJF

Posted 15 June 2020 - 12:47 PM

That comment has so much wrong with it lol. If dimensionless visual nostalgia is truly all you're looking for, wouldn't a poster be a lot cheaper and take up a whole lot less space? To me, the ENTIRE nostalgic aspect of arcade games is EXACTLY standing up while playing a game. When I think back to the arcades of yesteryear, I don't ever seem to recall playing games on my knees or sitting on a stool.

My comment has "so much wrong with it", but "dimensionless visual nostalgia" makes sense.  I don't play these A1UP games on my knees or on a stool, either (even though it's not abnormal to play an arcade game while sitting on a stool).  

Yes, this person's setup is the same as hanging posters on a wall.  This is your "dimensionless visual nostalgia".  One generic Legends cabinet holds the same visual appeal, for sure.

post-586285-0-61221600-1589722704.jpg

#2178 slamoco   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   159 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2020 - 01:00 PM

My comment has "so much wrong with it", but "dimensionless visual nostalgia" makes sense. I don't play these A1UP games on my knees or on a stool, either (even though it's not abnormal to play an arcade game while sitting on a stool).

Yes, this person's setup is the same as hanging posters on a wall. This is your "dimensionless visual nostalgia". One generic Legends cabinet holds the same visual appeal, for sure.

Man, that is a nice setup!

#2179 avatar94   CAG Addict CAGiversary!   584 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2020 - 03:05 PM

Fuck yes! If I had a big basement that's exactly what I'd do with it. That's a great party basement.

But seriously, why are we still arguing over A1up vs LU? Different products for different people with different tastes.

If you just want an all-in-one setup with the ability to add some extra games (and you've got a small level of tech skill to do it) then the LU is a great device. But if you really want to create your own arcade, that's it in the picture.

Personal opinion - best of both worlds would be to throw a RetroPie modded SF or MK A1up cab into that basement.

#2180 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3302 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2020 - 03:24 PM

I’d buy golden tee at that price and I’m sure a lot of other people will as well- except maybe those on this site.

That’s the lowest I’ve seen it at but I’ve waited this long- I’ll still hold out for the golden tee/silver strike cabinet.

You'd buy it, unlike those on this site, but then you won't buy it.  I agree 100% though, the better deal is just waiting for the golden tee/silver strike cabinet.  No sense in bothering with this unless you only care about golden tee and don't want the variety.

When I think back to the arcades of yesteryear, I don't ever seem to recall playing games on my knees or sitting on a stool.

Stools were pretty common in more budget (classic) big arcades in my area (that had pool tables, etc) and of course most racing games, flying games, and a lot of the later light gun games were sit down experiences.  Nothing wrong with that.  Nothing wrong with standing up either.  Seems like given the option I'd rather sit than stand forever trying to master a game at home.

Other than the original arcade machines (which I kind of always wanted a Sega Titan ST-V unit since it's cart based like NeoGeo MVS... and I loved Diehard Arcade and other games on it)... there's some compromise with all of these options.  ALU is close to arcade height but the monitor is angled strange due to the shorter depth of the unit.  Still, for what it is, it's a solid option for getting a lot of bang for your buck and saving space.  A1U has the general shape of the original machine and art (which is sometimes fantastic) but then messes some stuff up by mixing vertical and horizontal games together and giving you only a few games to experience.  But no doubt one of these on a riser (or end table) has the same control deck height as the ALU... just with a slightly more narrow control deck since it's themed on a specific game and it's controls.

#2181 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   232 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 15 June 2020 - 03:36 PM

My comment has "so much wrong with it", but "dimensionless visual nostalgia" makes sense. I don't play these A1UP games on my knees or on a stool, either (even though it's not abnormal to play an arcade game while sitting on a stool).

Yes, this person's setup is the same as hanging posters on a wall. This is your "dimensionless visual nostalgia". One generic Legends cabinet holds the same visual appeal, for sure.

Thanks for making my point for me. Given half the stuff in that room to achieve that effect has nothing to do with A1U (which are all on risers), probably a million different options to save a ton of space and money and boost practical usage by doing something else - especially since at the end of the day, the kid is sitting in a chair in front of a tv playing a genesis game.

#2182 shoe478   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1813 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2020 - 03:50 PM

Countercades dropped to $99 also for Dig Dug or Space Invaders or Centipede / Missile Command

Centipede/MC is a bit tempting cuz trackball

Wonder if the trackball is any good? I know a lot of people replace theirs on the bigger machine.

#2183 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   551 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2020 - 04:26 PM

You'd buy it, unlike those on this site, but then you won't buy it. I agree 100% though, the better deal is just waiting for the golden tee/silver strike cabinet. No sense in bothering with this unless you only care about golden tee and don't want the variety.

You get what I mean though. If I didn’t know a golden tee/silver strike cab was coming, I’d definitely buy at this price. Most people on this site (in my opinion) probably wouldn’t buy it as there have been all those clearance cabs at Walmart.

This site likely isn’t the market for golden tee anyway- there are a TON of people that generally don’t play video game’s but LOVE golden tee.

#2184 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2643 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2020 - 04:27 PM

I'm learning the NBA Jam special edition is quite a let down on the light up control panel.

#2185 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3302 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2020 - 07:05 PM

The standard version it includes the riser and light up marque so no reason to get the special version unless you want to spend $100 on a custom nba jamp stool.   That said the picture they have on the site with two guys trying to play the game shows it'll be near impossible to get a 4 player local game going unless you have some small kids or something to mix in there.  Which for those that do, this would be a pretty sweet game to have.

#2186 girlracer99lude  

girlracer99lude

Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:29 PM

thats my setup but i wouldn't nearly have as many A1Up's as I do if I hadn't got them on walmart clearance. I think the ALU is cool as well, not gonna hate on anyone's setup. Little dude in the photo is my 5 year old nephew and I'm teaching him to like all games.

#2187 ZForce  

Posted 15 June 2020 - 10:46 PM

Anyone know if the Countercades for $100 are a "Deal of the Day" or something that might go on for the week.  I kind of want the Dig Dug one, but I won't have cash to buy it till later in the week

#2188 MobileFrank   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   90 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

MobileFrank

Posted 15 June 2020 - 11:51 PM

Ordered Golden Tee. That makes number 6. Anyone do the button masher mod to Golden Tee yet?

#2189 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2124 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 16 June 2020 - 02:38 PM

The standard version it includes the riser and light up marque so no reason to get the special version unless you want to spend $100 on a custom nba jamp stool.   That said the picture they have on the site with two guys trying to play the game shows it'll be near impossible to get a 4 player local game going unless you have some small kids or something to mix in there.  Which for those that do, this would be a pretty sweet game to have.

Turtles is the same size and most people I've heard from said it is tight but workable.  I wouldn't want to play a serious fighting game requiring precise movements in tight quarters, but those four player games were more about having fun with your friends.

#2190 315Retro   Westside Wizard CAGiversary!   1636 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 16 June 2020 - 04:15 PM

Can anyone please tell me countercade control board dimensions? Just where buttons and joysticks go! Can't find this info for the life of me. I assume it's different but I'm hoping it's not.