* * * * - 6 votes

The Home Arcade Tremendous Deals and Discussion Thread

#3541 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3872 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 16 July 2021 - 07:21 PM

I played through this on my MAME cabinet recently and yeah, it gets super cheap at the end.  The final boss is ridiculous lol.

The game also is not nearly as good as it was back in the day.  But, nostalgia and all...

For me nostalgic arcade games are never as good as the old days because it's not the old days where I'm in an arcade with my friends or meeting random new people and playing games.    The social aspect is a huge part of the nostalgia.  The most fun I've had with emulated old arcade games in modern times was playing the stuff I never knew about.  Those games by the same devs that made the Metal Slug series for instance... that was cool to play.   My retropie setup lasted a couple weeks.  I did manage to get my youngest son to play a few games and one of his friends brought an arcade stick over so we could do 3p TMNT/Xmen/Simpsons... and then they played a bunch of fighting games while I watched.  That was like one or two times playing games with them.   It's a good memory but the games have no staying power with the kids that grew up without arcades (other than the odd Chuck E Cheeses visit or something... which was rare).

#3542 KrayzieKMF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4236 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

Posted 16 July 2021 - 08:40 PM

For me nostalgic arcade games are never as good as the old days because it's not the old days where I'm in an arcade with my friends or meeting random new people and playing games.    The social aspect is a huge part of the nostalgia.  The most fun I've had with emulated old arcade games in modern times was playing the stuff I never knew about.  Those games by the same devs that made the Metal Slug series for instance... that was cool to play.   My retropie setup lasted a couple weeks.  I did manage to get my youngest son to play a few games and one of his friends brought an arcade stick over so we could do 3p TMNT/Xmen/Simpsons... and then they played a bunch of fighting games while I watched.  That was like one or two times playing games with them.   It's a good memory but the games have no staying power with the kids that grew up without arcades (other than the odd Chuck E Cheeses visit or something... which was rare).

at least there is still dave and busters and round 1. 

#3543 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3872 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 16 July 2021 - 09:21 PM

Sadly the only arcade stuff near where I live are the few beat up run down games at the movie theater so no regular crowd or anything like the old days.   There are a few other places within an hour and a half drive.  One that is $12/day of unlimited play (and you can leave and come back as they do wristbands).  If I get the itch and it's part of doing something else... I might do that one of these days.   But it's not like the old times where it was a 10min drive and there was a regular group of people among all the new faces.

#3544 mer71   Gaming since 1981 CAGiversary!   4592 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 July 2021 - 01:21 AM

We are lucky here.  Round1 is 15 minutes away.  Dave and Busters is a half hour away.   There is a cool place called TimeLIne Arcade in York and Hanover, PA, which are 20 and 40 minutes away.  You pay by the hour there, really cool place that takes me back.

#3545 kingwormer   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   428 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

kingwormer

Posted 17 July 2021 - 06:37 AM

Question for those who know.  I bought the Legends Core.  I installed coinopx….. the menus and games all there and load fine.  But… the lag….. it’s unbearable. I’m using an Xbox one controller, is this my problem?  Can someone advise a good controller?  I really wanna play these games. 😭

#3546 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1894 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 July 2021 - 04:53 PM

Connect your controller directly to the system if you have the option. If you don't, buy a USB hub, connect it to the Legends Core, then connect the controller and your flash drive to the hub. Reaction times should improve.

#3547 MinDRioT   slipping through the cracks of a stolen jewel CAGiversary!   4951 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 17 July 2021 - 10:20 PM

Make sure your TV is in game mode too

#3548 kingwormer   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   428 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

kingwormer

Posted 18 July 2021 - 05:02 AM

Connect your controller directly to the system if you have the option. If you don't, buy a USB hub, connect it to the Legends Core, then connect the controller and your flash drive to the hub. Reaction times should improve.

Yea I was thinking was gonna need wired mode

Make sure your TV is in game mode too

TV shouldn’t be the issue, it’s same setting for my ps5 and such

#3549 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   15754 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 July 2021 - 06:48 AM

Been largely ignoring the arcade1up scene and still waiting for a perfect port of MvC2 cab to buy since it doesn't run totally perfect via emulation. Guess they finally got Simpsons eh? Great game, but no way I'd get a cab for it when rPi4 runs it just fine.

#3550 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1129 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 July 2021 - 08:58 PM

Question for those who know.  I bought the Legends Core.  I installed coinopx….. the menus and games all there and load fine.  But… the lag….. it’s unbearable. I’m using an Xbox one controller, is this my problem?  Can someone advise a good controller?  I really wanna play these games.

The Arcade Legends stuff just has a ton of input lag.  It doesn't bother many people apparently but the Gamer Pro I bought I had to return because it was unplayable to me.

#3551 Captain Wrong   ... CAGiversary!   684 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Captain Wrong

Posted 20 July 2021 - 04:15 PM

Re: lag. I have the Arcade Legends cab and after living with it for a while, I'm really surprised more people aren't mentioning the lag in the newer games. I'm not the most critical gamer, but for instance, I was trying to play Boogie Wings the other night and I had to double check that I wasn't playing a streaming game (which I've found to be unplayable). I'm not sure what's under the hood, but it's really disappointing they couldn't have given it a little more horsepower. I still think it's worth the money, but I'm using it with a retropie and enjoying it more that way.

#3552 LakersHater   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   111 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

LakersHater

Posted 21 July 2021 - 02:01 AM

The Arcade Legends stuff just has a ton of input lag. It doesn't bother many people apparently but the Gamer Pro I bought I had to return because it was unplayable to me.

Are you sure it’s input lag and not audio lag? I have an ALU and I Definitely notice sound lag. Like throwing a hadoken and not hearing it until it’s halfway across the screen or Pac-Man eating one or two pellets before hearing the chomping sound. The controls feel responsive so it doesn’t feel like input lag to me but more like audio lag, definitely noticeable compared to my pi setup.

#3553 BrandonJF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   749 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

BrandonJF

Posted 04 August 2021 - 10:34 PM

Noticed the X-Men A1UP cab jumped up in price by $100 at Target.  It's now $700!  Same price through A1UP.  I remember them doing a price increase with the Golden Axe cab, too, and played off the lower price as some "initial pricing".   But, $700.... ouch.  

And for the first time they are forcing a tin sign or something with "The Simpsons".  I wonder how much that is going to drive up the price.  Unfortunately, I'm all in on "The Simpsons" no matter what, so they win.  

After that, I think the only other thing they could get me on after "Dragon's Lair" is "Tron".

If Nintendo ever got in on this, I'd be screwed.

#3554 dschroll  

Posted 05 August 2021 - 02:22 AM

Noticed the X-Men A1UP cab jumped up in price by $100 at Target.  It's now $700!  Same price through A1UP.  I remember them doing a price increase with the Golden Axe cab, too, and played off the lower price as some "initial pricing".   But, $700.... ouch.  

And for the first time they are forcing a tin sign or something with "The Simpsons".  I wonder how much that is going to drive up the price.  Unfortunately, I'm all in on "The Simpsons" no matter what, so they win.  

After that, I think the only other thing they could get me on after "Dragon's Lair" is "Tron".

If you're looking for a Dragon's Lair cabinet, I would recommend going with the Dragon's Lair iiRcade cabinet.  At least then you can add more games to it rather than be limited to only a handful of games on A1up.  

I have the standard iiRcade cabinet and love mine, so I can answer any question you have.  Plus they're having a back to school sale right now, so pretty sweet deal.

https://www.iircade....ns-lair-edition

#3555 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2997 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2021 - 04:06 PM

Don't view it as a price increase. Instead, view it as a larger discount opportunity for when you snag X-Men at $175.

#3556 E-Z-B   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3432 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2021 - 06:47 PM

If you're looking for a Dragon's Lair cabinet, I would recommend going with the Dragon's Lair iiRcade cabinet. At least then you can add more games to it rather than be limited to only a handful of games on A1up.

I have the standard iiRcade cabinet and love mine, so I can answer any question you have. Plus they're having a back to school sale right now, so pretty sweet deal.

https://www.iircade....ns-lair-edition

Looks nice, but $700 is still insane.

#3557 BrandonJF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   749 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

BrandonJF

Posted 08 August 2021 - 04:17 AM

Don't view it as a price increase. Instead, view it as a larger discount opportunity for when you snag X-Men at $175.

Walmart would have to carry it in store in order for that to happen.  And even then, you'd have to be near one of the stores that clearances them.   There have been plenty of A1UP cabs that haven't seen much of a discount (if any).   I don't think Golden Axe has ever seen anything lower than it's initial pricing.

#3558 avatar94   CAG Addict CAGiversary!   680 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2021 - 08:12 PM

When the heck did the Arcade1Up pinball systems shoot up in price? I remember being on the fence when they were $550 at Gamestop, but now they're $850 ?!?

At least they're adding some extra features and accessories to try and justify the price hike on their arcade cabinets but the pinball machines are literally the exact same models for $300 more.

#3559 girlracer99lude  

girlracer99lude

Posted 11 August 2021 - 06:35 AM

When the heck did the Arcade1Up pinball systems shoot up in price? I remember being on the fence when they were $550 at Gamestop, but now they're $850 ?!?

At least they're adding some extra features and accessories to try and justify the price hike on their arcade cabinets but the pinball machines are literally the exact same models for $300 more.

its been a couple weeks, they increased everywhere. i ended up buying a Marvel before Walmart went up price.

#3560 Super Sonic   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   788 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Super Sonic

Posted 11 August 2021 - 07:53 AM

Can you just imagine if Sony raised the price of the PS5 from $500 to $800?

#3561 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2997 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2021 - 02:06 PM

Yes, they might even call it the Playstation 3.

#3562 HaloGX   DCGX CAGiversary!   1222 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2021 - 04:03 PM

Many of these Arcade1Up units were questionable at their usually prices, but these official price increases make the value almost laughable. But it makes the decision on getting one (any) or not much easier.

#3563 slamoco   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   227 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2021 - 06:37 PM

Yes, they might even call it the Playstation 3.

giphy-6.gif

#3564 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   262 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 14 August 2021 - 04:48 AM

The price hike was actually due to Covid (aka, everyone started getting free money and A1U wanted to snag it).

#3565 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   915 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2021 - 04:58 PM

The price hike was actually due to Covid (aka, everyone started getting free money and A1U wanted to snag it).

No.

#3566 LakersHater   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   111 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

LakersHater

Posted 14 August 2021 - 08:25 PM

No.

Actually yes, that’s exactly why they went up in price. They made literally no improvements to the screen size, controls, or construction, yet jacked up the Legacy cabs for $50, the new TMNT $250 and the pinballs a staggering $300.

#3567 beenaround  

beenaround

Posted 14 August 2021 - 09:34 PM

You guys know it is entirely possible that they were able to maintain their pricing because they had a large quantity of materials on hand that were already paid for, anything getting imported now is going to have a much higher landed cost due to the additional cost of freight. Container prices are up 50% or more in some cases so that affects pricing for a lot of things. 

#3568 GLOCKGLOCK   Guardians Make Their Own Fate CAGiversary!   4391 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 August 2021 - 05:08 PM

Would l be able to do anything else with the Ms Pac Man cabinet that is on sale at Wal Mart now?  Like turn it into a Mame machine etc or am I limited due to the controls?  Was considering a purchase but wanted to ask the experts here if its better to go with another one instead?

#3569 avatar94   CAG Addict CAGiversary!   680 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2021 - 10:22 AM

You could throw a Raspberry Pi in there, but yeah you'd need to spend an extra chunk on mods to adapt the sound/screen and add extra controls. Unless you really love the look of the A1up you'd be better off getting a Legends Ultimate or something else with the games / controls you really want (iircade, MVSX, etc)

#3570 E-Z-B   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3432 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2021 - 08:02 PM

Well, Simpsons preorder is $700 as well. Crazy times.