* * * * - 6 votes

The Home Arcade Tremendous Deals and Discussion Thread

#601 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1283 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2019 - 10:18 PM

I sometimes wonder if wal-mart is feeding fake info to brickseek or if there is now a significant delay for price/inventory. The SI cab I grabbed saturday showed in stock at $299 on brickseek and "check in store" in the app. When I actually scanned it with the app, it showed as $75. The store tag was still $299. The next day it showed out of stock and for $75 on brickseek,
The riser does make a noticeable difference.

Yeah see this is making me wonder if I should just go to the one that is the main one around here that has a bunch in stock and see what the real price is for SF cab.  Maybe it's not really $299.

#602 Chamillinator   I'm a CAG Veteran ya'll know who I'm better than CAGiversary!   262 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Chamillinator

Posted 29 October 2019 - 11:09 PM

NVM I finally got this damn Rampage one. It said 2-3 and I was going to go after work but half way through it said limited and I thought shit they are gone. I called up and got them to hold the last one whiles my wife's mom went to get it.

#603 TuscaloosaJohnny  

TuscaloosaJohnny

Posted 29 October 2019 - 11:20 PM

Anyone trusting Brickseek’s stock quantities should read this post as I found a few cabinets that were allegedly out of stock.

I went to a store in Huntsville AL today because I saw the Final Fight cabinets they previously had for $154 were marked down to $74. The quantity on BS had dropped from “2-3” to “limited stock” so I wasn’t terribly optimistic, based on previous results. To my surprise, while I didn’t find the FF cabinet I did find a Rampage for $74 that was allegedly out of stock.

I hit up a few more stores in the area and wandered across another nearby Walmart that had a $74 Rampage on the shelf that was supposed to be out of stock. I asked what they had in the back and the clerk found me a $74 Street Fighter cabinet that was also supposed to be out of stock.

In all, I found three “out of stock” cabinets across five Walmarts today so it might be worth your while to check stores for the heavily discounted cabinets if BS says OOS.

#604 themidgardknight   Runner Nerd CAGiversary!   161 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

themidgardknight

Posted 30 October 2019 - 01:56 AM

I had SF2 pop up for $75 at a Walmart 45 minutes away from me. Said there were 2-3 IN STOCK! I took the chance and drove out. "We don't know what that is... Oh, well we don't have anymore... Oh that floor model isn't for sale." Didn't even bother checking inventory or offer to sell me the shite floor model (still ran fine, cosmetically beat up.) I wasted an hour and a half on one of my busier days to run into a completely incompetent employee who I have a feeling knew about the price...

#605 SnoT   Twat Twat? CAGiversary!   507 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 30 October 2019 - 02:33 AM

I had SF2 pop up for $75 at a Walmart 45 minutes away from me. Said there were 2-3 IN STOCK! I took the chance and drove out. "We don't know what that is... Oh, well we don't have anymore... Oh that floor model isn't for sale." Didn't even bother checking inventory or offer to sell me the shite floor model (still ran fine, cosmetically beat up.) I wasted an hour and a half on one of my busier days to run into a completely incompetent employee who I have a feeling knew about the price...

Where was this at? My local store has them listed for $74 on BS and 2-3 for quantity. I was gonna go up Thursday after work and see if they actually had one. Was still kind of debating if it's worth it.

#606 themidgardknight   Runner Nerd CAGiversary!   161 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

themidgardknight

Posted 30 October 2019 - 03:06 AM

Where was this at? My local store has them listed for $74 on BS and 2-3 for quantity. I was gonna go up Thursday after work and see if they actually had one. Was still kind of debating if it's worth it.

The one I went to was Dumfries, VA. Terrible staff lol. I've had a lot of problems with the NOVA stores having BS stock and absolutely nothing to be found in store.

#607 husher   Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops? CAGiversary!   2935 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 30 October 2019 - 04:18 AM

The one I went to was Dumfries, VA. Terrible staff lol. I've had a lot of problems with the NOVA stores having BS stock and absolutely nothing to be found in store.

Ha, I thought about going to that store a few days ago...glad I didn't.

#608 TuscaloosaJohnny  

TuscaloosaJohnny

Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:15 AM

These things usually get snatched up quickly when they hit $74 so I’d go sooner if you can.

#609 Dr. Venkman   Disposable Assassin CAGiversary!   780 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Dr. Venkman

Posted 30 October 2019 - 04:01 PM

These things usually get snatched up quickly when they hit $74 so I’d go sooner if you can.

This.

The store I went to sold every machine days after marking them down.

#610 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1283 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:24 PM

I just went to a store that has shown stocks going in/out but prices haven't dropped.  I figured I'd check it.  Well nothing was on sale with the Walmart app.  Even Golden Tee was still $400.  

There is no way people are paying full price for these things.  Agian they had 2 on display and man they just look to be pretty crappy in quality.  $150 is pushing it IMO.

#611 TuscaloosaJohnny  

TuscaloosaJohnny

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:27 PM

Ran across two Space Invaders at another local Walmart for $75 after Brickseek said that store was out of stock.

#612 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1283 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 30 October 2019 - 10:03 PM

Ran across two Space Invaders at another local Walmart for $75 after Brickseek said that store was out of stock.

How long has it said they are out of stock for?  Just curious because one thats like 20 minutes from my job said the $75 SF been out of stock for a while now.  But wondering if it would be worth the drive there just to eye ball it myself lol.

#613 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   969 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 30 October 2019 - 10:25 PM

I just went to a store that has shown stocks going in/out but prices haven't dropped. I figured I'd check it. Well nothing was on sale with the Walmart app. Even Golden Tee was still $400.

There is no way people are paying full price for these things. Agian they had 2 on display and man they just look to be pretty crappy in quality. $150 is pushing it IMO.

Tons of people are buying these at full price. $300 or $400 is nothing and is worth it to a lot of people.

#614 morpheusx   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   96 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 31 October 2019 - 12:14 AM

I think I’m going to bite the bullet on the turtles one myself. The only deal I know of is if you have a discover card you can set up to get 5% cash back on Walmart.com (website only not the store)

#615 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1283 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 October 2019 - 12:15 AM

Tons of people are buying these at full price. $300 or $400 is nothing and is worth it to a lot of people.

That is crazy to me considering the quality and size of these things.

#616 TuscaloosaJohnny  

TuscaloosaJohnny

Posted 31 October 2019 - 12:45 AM

How long has it said they are out of stock for? Just curious because one thats like 20 minutes from my job said the $75 SF been out of stock for a while now. But wondering if it would be worth the drive there just to eye ball it myself lol.

20 minutes away? That’s worth a shot.

Though I’d have to say the Space Invaders cabinet is the lamest by far in terms of content. (Though it has what I’d argue is the coolest art.)

#617 ravens52bears54   Thin Blue Line CAGiversary!   1647 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

ravens52bears54

Posted 31 October 2019 - 03:26 AM

I canceled my Marvel Special Edition order. I don't know why but I thought the included games were all beat 'em ups. When I watched a recent review and saw two of the games are fighting games I had to cancel. I'm not into fighting games at all.

#618 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7736 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 31 October 2019 - 09:46 AM

I canceled my Marvel Special Edition order. I don't know why but I thought the included games were all beat 'em ups. When I watched a recent review and saw two of the games are fight games I had to cancel. I'm not I to fighting games at all.

Yeah, the Punisher was one of the best beat'um ups of all time, and I still play it from time to time. I guess they needed something from Capcom to round out this Marvel cab, but they probably should keep genre's together(instead of keeping a brand together).

So an all in one beat'um ups would have been amazing, as Capcom are the godfathers of the genre. I don't see many "marvel" fans buying this strictly because it's Marvel, but for the reasons you stated, I see many not buying this as some will not like the mixing of the genres.

While I do like certain fighting games, I've never enjoyed the "chaos" or tag-team aspects of any of those marvel fighting games, just not my cup of tea. I do love me some old school Street Fighter 2, and can play that all day with friends when given the opportunity.

#619 slamoco   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   239 Posts   Joined 18.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:52 PM

That is crazy to me considering the quality and size of these things.

It's all about perspective. For me, $300 to $500 per cabinet is fine and worth it FOR ME. I own 5 cabs, paid full or close to it for all of them, and have no regrets.....they put a smile on my face on a daily basis. However, if your price/value ratio is different, then that price might not seem reasonable......ands that's ok, just like it is ok for me to think it is worth it.

#620 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4442 Posts   Joined 18.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 October 2019 - 03:48 PM

It's all about perspective. For me, $300 to $500 per cabinet is fine and worth it FOR ME. I own 5 cabs, paid full or close to it for all of them, and have no regrets.....they put a smile on my face on a daily basis. However, if your price/value ratio is different, then that price might not seem reasonable......ands that's ok, just like it is ok for me to think it is worth it.

I think it's more about disposable income. You clearly have a large disposable income if you've spent that much on these. I agree that they aren't priced too high at $300 but this is Cheap Ass Gamer after all and I personally wouldn't pay $300 for most of the current cabinets versus spending that money elsewhere. 

In my case it's also an issue of space.

#621 DarkonJohn   Growing backlog CAGiversary!   982 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

DarkonJohn

Posted 31 October 2019 - 04:19 PM

I just picked up 2 Space Invaders cabs for $75 each at the Walmart in Oceanside CA. Brickseek had shown “Limited Quantity” for a while now, which I assumed meant they didn’t have any, but the guy I talked to said they had just pulled these two from out back yesterday.

And in case anyone is interested, they also had an Asteroids cab for $75 on a pallet of other $300 cabs, but the outer box was pretty torn up and part of the cab side was exposed. I didn’t buy it because I already have 2 of them I modded already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#622 slamoco   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   239 Posts   Joined 18.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 October 2019 - 05:56 PM

I think it's more about disposable income. You clearly have a large disposable income if you've spent that much on these. I agree that they aren't priced too high at $300 but this is Cheap Ass Gamer after all and I personally wouldn't pay $300 for most of the current cabinets versus spending that money elsewhere.

In my case it's also an issue of space.

Agreed, disposable income is important for everything that you purchase, that is why I brought up the price versus value. Some people really like crack and will sell everything they own in order to get it....to them, crack is worth it...but not to me, even if it was free.
I was just commenting on the thread above that mentioned that no one would be crazy enough to pay the retail prices for these (which I have read alot). I really like these, they bring great memories....and, obviously accordingly, that makes me crazy (this I can completely agree with), lol
(and I might have also sold everything I own to get them.) :)
"There is no way people are paying full price for these things. Agian they had 2 on display and man they just look to be pretty crappy in quality. $150 is pushing it IMO"

#623 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1283 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 October 2019 - 08:37 PM

All of what you said is common sense.  I'm just saying there is usually some kind of expectations about quality when you pay a certain amount of money, and the quality of those things is much lower than I would expect for $300.

Maybe I'm jaded because I paid $300 for my real KI2 cabinet back in the day lol.  

#624 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   4593 Posts   Joined 18.7 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 31 October 2019 - 08:44 PM

Every time I see the demo cabinet in Walmart, I think it just looks cheap. I know these aren't full size and not of the same quality as real cabs for $300, but that is why I want to find them for $150 or less before I buy a couple. They look alright, but they still look like a toy to me and the size is a bit small for me.

#625 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2038 Posts   Joined 18.4 Years Ago  

Posted 31 October 2019 - 09:06 PM

There are other options, of course. If you're a woodworker they might be worth exploring, but this presumes that you already have the tools and experience, plus the lumber handy. You'll get a better product, but it will require a lot more time and effort. You also may not be able to get the look as faithful to the original arcade machine as Arcade1up can.

I've seen some neat homemade cabinets. The Barrel 'o Fun, literally a liquor barrel repurposed as a Donkey Kong machine, is one of these. You may have to drink all the liquor IN the barrel to make the price seem acceptable, though.

#626 slamoco   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   239 Posts   Joined 18.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 October 2019 - 10:22 PM

All of what you said is common sense. I'm just saying there is usually some kind of expectations about quality when you pay a certain amount of money, and the quality of those things is much lower than I would expect for $300.

Maybe I'm jaded because I paid $300 for my real KI2 cabinet back in the day lol.

Holy crap, you snagged a real KI2 for $300?!!?!
I believe you are right and applying the correct perspective.....thats like finding a ninja unicorn that gives you candy for free, but then, never mind, doesn't matter....you found a ninja unicorn giving candy for free, nothing will compare to that!
Really, I get it. I just restored an original NBA JAM cabinet for a friend and it is beautiful....nothing like a real dedicated cabinet. But they are reaaaaallllll heavy, recapping a monitor can cost as much as one of these cabinets retail, and they take up a bunch of space. These Arcade1ups ARE just toys, but I guess I am in a unique position.....I have built and restored many cabs over the years and I just like the availability (finding original parts/cabs for the game you want is getting more and more difficult), their lightness (I have moved waaayyyy too many cabs up/down stairs, loading into a truck for travel), and easiness of putting these together (no cutting, measuring, drilling, etc) with achieving the same result, to play a game. So, I kinda like putting in less work and time to achieve the same result, but YMMV.
Great buy on the KI2....is it still going?

#627 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1283 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 October 2019 - 10:34 PM

Holy crap, you snagged a real KI2 for $300?!!?!
I believe you are right and applying the correct perspective.....thats like finding a ninja unicorn that gives you candy for free, but then, never mind, doesn't matter....you found a ninja unicorn giving candy for free, nothing will compare to that!
Really, I get it. I just restored an original NBA JAM cabinet for a friend and it is beautiful....nothing like a real dedicated cabinet. But they are reaaaaallllll heavy, recapping a monitor can cost as much as one of these cabinets retail, and they take up a bunch of space. These Arcade1ups ARE just toys, but I guess I am in a unique position.....I have built and restored many cabs over the years and I just like the availability (finding original parts/cabs for the game you want is getting more and more difficult), their lightness (I have moved waaayyyy too many cabs up/down stairs, loading into a truck for travel), and easiness of putting these together (no cutting, measuring, drilling, etc) with achieving the same result, to play a game. So, I kinda like putting in less work and time to achieve the same result, but YMMV.
Great buy on the KI2....is it still going?

I bought it back in 2001.  It was $300 for the cabinet with KI2 in it.  Even back then it was a steal.  Today I could sell JUST the KI2 PCB/HDD for like $500 (more on that later).

It had been in my garage for the past 7 years, and prior to that, sitting in my moms basement for 7 more years.  So it hadn't really been used in 14 years.  And because of this thread, I decided to rejuvenate it. 

So I moved it into my basement 2 weeks ago.  I took the monitor out and control panel off to move it because it made it lighter, but still heavy af.  I have KI1 in there and I have MK1, MK2, and KI2 as well.  I found those at my moms as well 2 weeks ago.

Well unfortunately they all had issues.

KI2 doesn't power on.   There is no video or sound, which is bad.  It's not the HDD either.  I have tried to research it and I have no clue what is wrong with it.  The board looks fine and I've done basic testing on it to check voltages and stuff, but no clue.  So for now it's worth nothing.

MK1 and MK2 both worked but both sound boards weren't working, so they had no sound.  But, I ended up fixing MK1 myself.  There was a burnt trace on the back, and I just soldered a wire between the 2 points on it, and then it worked.  MK sound boards are notorious for being junk.  I fixed the MK1 soundboard Monday then wired up the kick harness Tuesday to get all buttons functioning.

KI1 works just fine.  My monitor needs some help though.  It's a little dim so I'm going to take it to this guy after I get my pi2jamma set up so that he can basically rejuvenate it.  Other than being dim though it is fine.  I'm actually waiting until pi2jamma is hooked up to see if I think it's worth it.  Playing MK1 the other day all the way through it didn't really bother me.

Here's a video of KI1.  It's dark because I had the lights out.

https://www.youtube....h?v=NKt20l12d_o

And here is a video of MK1 after I fixed the soundboard.  Easier to see the cab since I had the lights on.

https://www.youtube....h?v=ES2-YJdytv0

#628 Clue   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   101 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 31 October 2019 - 10:38 PM

There are other options, of course. If you're a woodworker they might be worth exploring, but this presumes that you already have the tools and experience, plus the lumber handy. You'll get a better product, but it will require a lot more time and effort. You also may not be able to get the look as faithful to the original arcade machine as Arcade1up can.

I've seen some neat homemade cabinets. The Barrel 'o Fun, literally a liquor barrel repurposed as a Donkey Kong machine, is one of these. You may have to drink all the liquor IN the barrel to make the price seem acceptable, though.

Something like this would probably work as well if you want to build your own. https://gameroomsolu...for-22-monitor/

I've been considering, but I want to play with my Space Invaders cab for awhile to see how I feel

#629 DarkonJohn   Growing backlog CAGiversary!   982 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

DarkonJohn

Posted 01 November 2019 - 04:01 AM

I love mine. Be aware though that despite it having 3 controllers Gauntlet is 2 player only.  

Having Gauntlet being only 2 player was a deal-killer for me since I'd be buying it so my 3 kids could play together. When I asked A1Up about this, I was told the processor wasn't able to handle the processing required for the 3-player version of Gauntlet. Regardless of the reason, it's kind of absurd and misleading to have a 3/4 player game that only supports 2 players on a 3-player cabinet. All the more reason to convert that sucker to a RetroPie system.

#630 DarkonJohn   Growing backlog CAGiversary!   982 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

DarkonJohn

Posted 01 November 2019 - 04:27 AM

That's the truth. Today I decided to do my "local Walmart tour" to see if I could find any $75 cabs. The first (and furthest) Walmart had 2 Space Invaders cabs for $75 and I picked up both. The guy told me that they had just been pulled out of the back the day before, so I was probably one of the first to see them where they had been placed next to a "Clearance" table (not the typical end-cap where I normally see clearance stuff).

They also had a pallet of A1Up cabs in the main aisle, but all were full priced except for a single Asteroids cab for $75, which had a very damaged box where the side board was clearly exposed (though not obviously damaged) and the unit definitely looked like it had been opened. I passed on that one because I already had picked up 2 Asteroids cabs previously at the same store (doing the "purchase online, pick up in store and nicely asking for in-store price match" thing). 

I then stopped by 3 other Walmarts on the way home and none of them had anything below the normal retail prices, even though they had the often discounted Space Invaders, Pac Mac and other older cabs. I keep hoping to find a Pac Man, Rampage or Street Fighter system for $75 like others have, but so far, no luck. 

At this point, I'm just looking for discounted cabs so I can have a variety of art work on the cabs I modify to use RetroPie. I was also able to pick up a few  A1Up control decks when they had a brief period when the shipping was only $1 rather than their normally insane $20 shipping...for a $26 control panel) and ordered the 12-in-1 PCB so I can convert one of the cabs to the 12-in-1 system (for a total cost of about $140).

Also, having an A1Up cab with a horizontal screen and another with a vertical screen is a good starting point for a RetroPie system to support games in each orientation w/o having to compromise the screen size by forcing a vertical game into a horizontal screen or vice-versa. That's why I was so happy to have been able to pick up the Asteroids and Centipede cabs on the cheap, but since then I've been looking for cabs with different art on them to mix things up (and avoid buying custom art work, which would add another $150-$200).