* * * * - 6 votes

The Home Arcade Tremendous Deals and Discussion Thread

#2041 Retroxcellence   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1837 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Retroxcellence

Posted 01 May 2020 - 03:31 PM

The dongles aren’t really worth it...invest in a usb and put uce game files on it. “fansofsaUCE” on reddit has all the info you need as well as a googledrive filled with goodies.

I like the sound of Google drive . Thanks for the info

#2042 MinDRioT   slipping through the cracks of a stolen jewel CAGiversary!   4932 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 May 2020 - 04:52 PM

I received my legends ultimate today. I never received a shipping notice from Sam's club so I wasn't expecting it yet. Set up took about 30 minutes. I futzed around with the screws on top of the control panel as they were not lining up correctly. My ball is tight just as others have described here. I will need to loosen it up. My screen looks good. No streaks or dead pixels. I must have been lucky.

tenor.gif

#2043 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   4416 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 01 May 2020 - 05:01 PM

yeah, blue balls suck.

#2044 gorgo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1183 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2020 - 05:42 AM

The dongles aren’t really worth it...invest in a usb and put uce game files on it. “fansofsaUCE” on reddit has all the info you need as well as a googledrive filled with goodies.

Omg you just saved me a lot of searching. Just got mine yesterday. It’s astonishingly easy to add games with a flash drive once you get the right source.

Thank you! I’m in game heaven. It even plays my old Genesis favorite Star Control 🤩. Not to mention Food Fight and other rate arcade games.

#2045 Retroxcellence   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1837 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Retroxcellence

Posted 03 May 2020 - 02:40 AM

Wow,thanks for steering me to that Reddit. Saved me a of time making my own ice files. I finally played through Cadash. I remember starting it a few times in my youth and always running out of quarters. Cadash is an interesting idea for an arcade game. You need to dedicate some time to finish it. It a quick play. The translation was pretty awful too. Really enjoying the unit so far. Looking forward to putting some Sega cd games on there and find a C64 uce of Bruce Lee or make my own

#2046 gorgo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1183 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

Posted 03 May 2020 - 03:23 AM

Wow,thanks for steering me to that Reddit. Saved me a of time making my own ice files. I finally played through Cadash. I remember starting it a few times in my youth and always running out of quarters. Cadash is an interesting idea for an arcade game. You need to dedicate some time to finish it. It a quick play. The translation was pretty awful too. Really enjoying the unit so far. Looking forward to putting some Sega cd games on there and find a C64 uce of Bruce Lee or make my own

Oh yeah, Bruce Lee was a cool game!

#2047 AMillsy   Central Michigan CAG CAGiversary!   536 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 07 May 2020 - 12:32 PM

The Legends Ultimate Arcade is back in stock at Sam's Club for $499.98 (free shipping for Plus members):

https://www.samsclub...plp_product_1_1

A couple other useful resources for those who have a Legends Ultimate, or are thinking of getting one:

Also, if you don't like your food plain and prefer it with "saUCE", there are some great recipes​ if you search the internet for your fellow "fansofsauce".  :-$

#2048 Retroxcellence   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1837 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Retroxcellence

Posted 07 May 2020 - 12:56 PM

The Legends Ultimate Arcade is back in stock at Sam's Club for $499.98 (free shipping for Plus members):

https://www.samsclub...plp_product_1_1

A couple other useful resources for those who have a Legends Ultimate, or are thinking of getting one:

Also, if you don't like your food plain and prefer it with "saUCE", there are some great recipes​ if you search the internet for your fellow "fansofsauce".  :-$

Thanks for the tips, I have been playing my Legends ultimate a ton.  I have managed to beat arcade versions of Cadash and Ninja Gaiden.  Ninja Gaiden was a bit of a pain as I was playing solo. When you die, you go to a continue screen. When you continue, you don't pick up right where you left off so would still need to beat a bunch of enemies again. I eventually remembered having a second player play in the arcade to avoid this issue. as long as one of you is alive, you won't need to go to the continue screen and lose progress. 

My son also loves capcom bowling.  He gets  a kick out of using the roller ball and the funny graphics between frames. (He is 4 years old)

#2049 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   938 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 May 2020 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for the tips, I have been playing my Legends ultimate a ton. I have managed to beat arcade versions of Cadash and Ninja Gaiden. Ninja Gaiden was a bit of a pain as I was playing solo. When you die, you go to a continue screen. When you continue, you don't pick up right where you left off so would still need to beat a bunch of enemies again. I eventually remembered having a second player play in the arcade to avoid this issue. as long as one of you is alive, you won't need to go to the continue screen and lose progress.
My son also loves capcom bowling. He gets a kick out of using the roller ball and the funny graphics between frames. (He is 4 years old)

Try out Bonk’s Adventure Arcade (might need to use that 2p trick) ... I enjoy playing this with my 5 year old son.

#2050 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   259 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 07 May 2020 - 03:28 PM

When you die, you go to a continue screen. When you continue, you don't pick up right where you left off so would still need to beat a bunch of enemies again.

In my opinion, these are the perfect types of games for these units. The value of most brawlers is totally diminished when you can just keep adding credits with freeplay. Not being able to just spam special moves and come back in wherever you die corrects this.

Ghosts and Goblins and Strider also fall into this category and that's probably why I like that Final Fight cab so much. Rastan is also one of my favorites for that reason.

#2051 kevlar51   eats babies CAGiversary!   1211 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 May 2020 - 03:29 PM

Any pinball fans in here? I've got World Cup Soccer 94 and Jet Spin.

#2052 Retroxcellence   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1837 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Retroxcellence

Posted 07 May 2020 - 04:17 PM

In my opinion, these are the perfect types of games for these units. The value of most brawlers is totally diminished when you can just keep adding credits with freeplay. Not being able to just spam special moves and come back in wherever you die corrects this.
Ghosts and Goblins and Strider also fall into this category and that's probably why I like that Final Fight cab so much. Rastan is also one of my favorites for that reason.

I was just thinking about rastan the other day. I have a very specific memory of seeing the arcade cab in a now defunct department store in downtown north tonawanda

#2053 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   259 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 07 May 2020 - 04:33 PM

I was just thinking about rastan the other day. I have a very specific memory of seeing the arcade cab in a now defunct department store in downtown north tonawanda

I played it at a local smalltime movie theater. The soundtrack to that and that game Plotting still stand out in my mind to this day. Very eerie yet relaxing tone (ha, can't really think of any other way to describe it).

#2054 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2067 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

Posted 07 May 2020 - 07:35 PM

Good finds. WCS has always been a good buy, since the table is really good, with design by J-Pop and now ranks at number 64 on Pinside right now,  It also isn't obscenely expensive the way a Twilight Zone or Medeival Madness is. Jet Spin I've never played, but it looks like it's one of the last EMs, which means the layout is similar to modern tables. It's also designed by Ed Krynski, who was one of the most well-regarded designers in the industry, and the first person to put flippers on the bottom of the table (albeit differently from standard configurations).

#2055 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2067 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

Posted 07 May 2020 - 07:46 PM

I played it at a local smalltime movie theater. The soundtrack to that and that game Plotting still stand out in my mind to this day. Very eerie yet relaxing tone (ha, can't really think of any other way to describe it).

Perfect description of it. Things are kept low key, but ominous, as if something terrible is always just around the corner. Could be that your enemies are much less of a threat than the devious platforming and bosses. While other players in the arcade were able to finish off these bosses with little effort, they were always a challenge for me. I remember watching a guy in the arcade play through the entire game without dying. I was impressed.

#2056 chubbyninja1319   Where's my stuff!? CAGiversary!   5475 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

chubbyninja1319

Posted 07 May 2020 - 07:57 PM

Just got my SW can from the Walmart sale. It's my 1st arcade 1up unit and I'm super psyched to set it up!

#2057 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1094 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 May 2020 - 12:47 AM

That is the one pinball game that I played so much in my childhood.  I have seen some for sale locally but I simply can't justify spending over $2k on a pinball machine.  It's a mental block that I just can't do.

And this coming from someone that has 4 arcade cabinets, 2 of those sit down racers.

#2058 kevlar51   eats babies CAGiversary!   1211 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 May 2020 - 02:20 PM

That is the one pinball game that I played so much in my childhood.  I have seen some for sale locally but I simply can't justify spending over $2k on a pinball machine.  It's a mental block that I just can't do.

And this coming from someone that has 4 arcade cabinets, 2 of those sit down racers.

$2K would be cheap these days. Pinball has exploded in price recently, and those who buy and collect them seem to have infinitely deep pockets--to the point that I'm not sure a sinking economy would drop the prices. I guess the only saving grace there is you can typically get your money back or then some when you sell (depending on how many mods you put on the machine).

I look at how much these machines went for just 5 years ago and it makes me realize I got into this too late. A machine that might go for $800 is now $3500.

But the right table is a hell of a lot of fun!

#2059 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3624 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 May 2020 - 05:57 PM

I like pinball machines, but like arcade machines I could never just settle on one machine.  Plus there are a lot of parts in a pinball machine and I'm not sure I want to learn what to maintain.

Got my Neo Geo Mini (international) today from the $30 deal that was on Amazon.  Overall, I really love it.  The screen looks really good.  I love how quick it is to load games and that it's just an all in one device that eats up little counter/desk space.  The sound is solid.  Buttons seem responsive.  The menu system is easy to navigate.  Most importantly the game selection is solid as is.  My only gripe is getting used to that analog stick.  But I managed to play a few games and had fun with it.

#2060 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   259 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 08 May 2020 - 06:13 PM

I like pinball machines, but like arcade machines I could never just settle on one machine. Plus there are a lot of parts in a pinball machine and I'm not sure I want to learn what to maintain.

Got my Neo Geo Mini (international) today from the $30 deal that was on Amazon. Overall, I really love it. The screen looks really good. I love how quick it is to load games and that it's just an all in one device that eats up little counter/desk space. The sound is solid. Buttons seem responsive. The menu system is easy to navigate. Most importantly the game selection is solid as is. My only gripe is getting used to that analog stick. But I managed to play a few games and had fun with it.

I agree, it's great. Easily one of the best $30 purchases I've ever made. Even better once you mod it to be portable.

#2061 Retroxcellence   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1837 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Retroxcellence

Posted 08 May 2020 - 07:34 PM

I like pinball machines, but like arcade machines I could never just settle on one machine.  Plus there are a lot of parts in a pinball machine and I'm not sure I want to learn what to maintain.

Got my Neo Geo Mini (international) today from the $30 deal that was on Amazon.  Overall, I really love it.  The screen looks really good.  I love how quick it is to load games and that it's just an all in one device that eats up little counter/desk space.  The sound is solid.  Buttons seem responsive.  The menu system is easy to navigate.  Most importantly the game selection is solid as is.  My only gripe is getting used to that analog stick.  But I managed to play a few games and had fun with it.

I have the Neo Geo mini as well. It's a fun little machine for the discounted price. Full retail would have been disappointing. Now that I can play these games on the Legends Ultimate, the little neo geo gets relegated to the kids that are waiting to play the Legends Ultimate.

It would have been nice if the neo geo mini came with a battery. It would be great as a portable

#2062 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   4416 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 08 May 2020 - 08:15 PM

Pinball machines seem like a nightmare to maintain, unless you're into that kind of thing, or course. I would just like to play them.

#2063 kevlar51   eats babies CAGiversary!   1211 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 May 2020 - 08:54 PM

Pinball machines seem like a nightmare to maintain, unless you're into that kind of thing, or course. I would just like to play them.

I enjoy it, but yes, there's a maintenance learning curve. Not difficult, but there are new skills (soldering and some intro to electronics). But what's nice is that depending on the machine, it's been around for 20 or 30 years, and when a problem arises, it's probably happened to someone else. There's an enormous wealth of info online, and suggestions and fixes from 2004 are just as good in 2020, and there's still a strong market for parts out there.

#2064 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   15677 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2020 - 03:32 AM

All these ALU issues has me glad I just modded my Marvel cab with a RPi4. Put it all together a few weeks ago and it has been a blast to play, especially with naomi and dreamcast games working great. Even discovered a few arcade games I knew as a kid but didn't remember the names of, Black Tiger being the biggest hit of nostalgia. Absolutely love it and putting the build together was a ton of fun.

#2065 315Retro   Westside Wizard CAGiversary!   1680 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2020 - 08:45 AM

Black Rose, Revenge From Mars and Terminator 2 used to be my pinball jams.

Edit: oh, and the diner I played T2 eventually replaced w Addams Family. Flo's - home of the 10 cent coffee!

#2066 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   4416 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 09 May 2020 - 12:18 PM

I remember loving F-14 Tomcat pinball in my arcade and the top lights would spin and light up the place during multi-ball. I loved it. LOL

#2067 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1094 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2020 - 01:43 PM

I enjoy it, but yes, there's a maintenance learning curve. Not difficult, but there are new skills (soldering and some intro to electronics). But what's nice is that depending on the machine, it's been around for 20 or 30 years, and when a problem arises, it's probably happened to someone else. There's an enormous wealth of info online, and suggestions and fixes from 2004 are just as good in 2020, and there's still a strong market for parts out there.

Yeah I've learned a ton in the short months I've been back into the arcade scene.  In November I paid someone to do a capkit on my only cabinet at the time's monitor, and then about a month ago I did my first capkit as well as flyback replacement on one of my other monitors.  And that was all in the midst of me setting up my multi JAMMA light gun cabinet which involved making a lot of harnesses and wiring up a bunch of stuff.  I am not sure if I have more enjoyment doing all the electronics work or playing the games at this point.  I enjoy both of them a lot.

#2068 TuscaloosaJohnny  

TuscaloosaJohnny

Posted 13 May 2020 - 10:11 PM

Had my first return-rebuy rejection at Walmart today. I’d been 3 for 3 getting them to adjust the 1Up Arcades from online price to the store clearance price, but evidently a reduction from $450 to $50 on the Star Wars machine was a bridge too far.

#2069 LakersHater   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   107 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

LakersHater

Posted 14 May 2020 - 12:00 AM

Had my first return-rebuy rejection at Walmart today. I’d been 3 for 3 getting them to adjust the 1Up Arcades from online price to the store clearance price, but evidently a reduction from $450 to $50 on the Star Wars machine was a bridge too far.

Care to elaborate? Was thinking of doing the same for Space Invaders ($169 online vs $50 in store). Did you do return/rebuy the same trip? Just take the receipt for a price adjustment?

#2070 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   259 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 14 May 2020 - 02:39 AM

Also rejected on this. They said returns for orders made online have to go back to the online warehouse. Called another walmart in the area and they told me the exact same thing.

At least I learned never to waste my time trying this again.