* * * * * 1 votes

Official Collector's Edition Compilation XI - 2020

#151 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2623 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:30 PM

It's a nice way to carry 20+ games if you need to but that's a huge amount of $$ gone if it were to get lost or jacked.

#152 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   11053 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:39 PM

It's a nice way to carry 20+ games if you need to but that's a huge amount of $$ gone if it were to get lost or jacked.

Same for my aforementioned DS/3DS cases, or a binder of disc games.  It's not a new single point of failure. 

#153 itzd4n   Dank Lean CAGiversary!   1303 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:02 PM

Why not?  That's what I would do.  I have three of those Nintendo branded DS/3DS cases that hold 18 games each and take them everywhere I go when I travel.  Granted they aren't SteelBook like this one, but the utility of carrying 18 Switch games in one case (that looks this good) is great.

You can probably forgive this case not having a title on the spine.

To my point, why is it an issue if it's scratched up if you're bringing it around?  Because odds are, you won't be carrying it around as an actual case, you'll display it; and if you're displaying it, probably not storing cartridges in all 24 slots anyway. 

#154 Jakegreensego  

Jakegreensego

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:12 PM

It’s definitely not optimized for travel. Much more useful and cheaper options out there. This is a collectors item. It’s best use would be to open it up on a shelf and stick some cartridges in it for display purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#155 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   11053 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:59 AM

To my point, why is it an issue if it's scratched up if you're bringing it around? Because odds are, you won't be carrying it around as an actual case, you'll display it; and if you're displaying it, probably not storing cartridges in all 24 slots anyway.

If you're throwing it in your car floor, or carrying it in your pocket with your keys or phone, sure it can get some dings and scratches. When I travel with my gaming gear, it is all secure in a backpack with little to no wiggle room. I don't mind if it gets scratched (one of them already is), but I certainly don't expect it to get destroyed or even damaged because of its intended use.

It’s definitely not optimized for travel. Much more useful and cheaper options out there. This is a collectors item. It’s best use would be to open it up on a shelf and stick some cartridges in it for display purposes.

For the $20 that it originally cost, which is what I paid, or free if you took advantage of the promotion, I think it's a good price for a condensed cartridge case and is ideal for travel. As I mentioned above, it won't get damaged or destroyed with my normal use and will fit the bill when I have 2+ games I want to carry with me.

Plus, I don't think they intended for it to be a display item when they put padding in it to carry up to 24 games. ;-)

That being said, you do you and I'll do me. I just feel fortunate to have gotten these at all.

#156 knothead65  

Posted 30 January 2020 - 03:01 AM

Saw this in CAG twitter, thought I'd post the picture here for the steelbook collectors. Comes free when you pre-order Resident Evil 3 remake at best buy. d7cf5d60422cb92e62fd99eadbb6f39b.jpg

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Tapatalk

#157 ElvisTheGreat   Daddy CAG in Training   46 Posts   Joined 0.5 Years Ago  

ElvisTheGreat

Posted 30 January 2020 - 03:17 AM

Saw this in CAG twitter, thought I'd post the picture here for the steelbook collectors. Comes free when you pre-order Resident Evil 3 remake at best buy. d7cf5d60422cb92e62fd99eadbb6f39b.jpg

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Tapatalk

I love it. Just pre-ordered it. Thanks!

#158 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   13104 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 30 January 2020 - 05:18 AM

Zombie Army 4 is also offering a free steelbook with purchase at BB.  Not able to link right now but the steelbook looks nice.

#159 Rick Astley  

Rick Astley

Posted 30 January 2020 - 06:56 AM

Guessing it’s $10 and if you return just the game, u won’t get full refund

#160 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   11053 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:02 AM

Zombie Army 4 is also offering a free steelbook with purchase at BB.  Not able to link right now but the steelbook looks nice.

https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6395445

6395445_sd.jpg

#161 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2623 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 30 January 2020 - 06:03 PM

My store only got 2 steelbooks.

#162 ShadowAssassin   #TTP CAGiversary!   4655 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

ShadowAssassin

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:14 PM

I got the Life is Strange 2 CE and the game comes separate from the contents.

This seems to be way more commonplace anymore than it was even a year or two ago. They aren't even trying, they're just producing a box of "stuff" and tossing the game in with the contents.

Code Vein was like that. FFVII is gonna be like that. KH3 was like that.

It seems to be more common with Publisher store exclusives.

#163 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2623 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:29 PM

Well at least they made that clear on the listing:

• SOFT-BUNDLED: YOUR SHIPMENT WILL ARRIVE WITH A COPY OF THE STANDARD EDITION + SEPARATE VINYL BUNDLE IN PRESENTATION BOX.
  • Please note, this is a soft bundle.  The Life is Strange 2 Collector's Edition contents are bundled separately.

#164 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3868 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:36 PM

Did they not make a Life is Strange 2 limited edition similar to the first game and prequel? I really liked those sets. The game, soundtrack (on CD), and book are all I need from these things.

#165 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14860 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 30 January 2020 - 10:55 PM

Guessing it’s $10 and if you return just the game, u won’t get full refund

$20 for now but I've been gaming this for years now and it always works out free. Just order a copy and have the steelbook shipped with the game for store pickup (or vice-versa, doesn't matter). Make sure you pick the game up and then return it on another trip. Unless they're some BB crusader that's aware of the free steelbook and gives you hassle (which I've run into once or twice now), it will return for full refund and no mention of the steelbook. I did this with the RE2 steel and finally repurchased the game when it hit $15 on BF. Will do the exact same with RE3 since no fucking way I'm paying full price for remasters lol.

#166 nevermeltice  

nevermeltice

Posted 31 January 2020 - 12:51 AM

Animal Crossing Switch console live on Best Buy for pre-order

#167 ElvisTheGreat   Daddy CAG in Training   46 Posts   Joined 0.5 Years Ago  

ElvisTheGreat

Posted 31 January 2020 - 12:51 AM

So are we going to talk about the Animal Crossing edition Switch? That shit is cute!
https://mms.business.../770524/4/1.jpg

#168 Rick Astley  

Rick Astley

Posted 31 January 2020 - 01:54 AM

$20 for now but I've been gaming this for years now and it always works out free. Just order a copy and have the steelbook shipped with the game for store pickup (or vice-versa, doesn't matter). Make sure you pick the game up and then return it on another trip. Unless they're some BB crusader that's aware of the free steelbook and gives you hassle (which I've run into once or twice now), it will return for full refund and no mention of the steelbook. I did this with the RE2 steel and finally repurchased the game when it hit $15 on BF. Will do the exact same with RE3 since no fucking way I'm paying full price for remasters lol.

So it basically works only with store pickup? Cuz of the huge paper receipt they give you which doesn’t show the price of the steelbook or something? Though I think the receipt shows the total items picked up

#169 2changz  

Posted 31 January 2020 - 02:27 AM

So are we going to talk about the Animal Crossing edition Switch? That shit is cute!
https://mms.business.../770524/4/1.jpg

I need this.

#170 A Dusty Bookcase   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   449 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

A Dusty Bookcase

Posted 31 January 2020 - 04:32 AM

Did they not make a Life is Strange 2 limited edition similar to the first game and prequel? I really liked those sets. The game, soundtrack (on CD), and book are all I need from these things.

I don't know if SE ever sold a enix exclusive edition but the LE of Life is strange 1 is in one box with all the contents. I got the life is strange before the storm LE exclusive from SE store and the LE itself is about the same size as the Life is strange 1 LE but the vinyl box is slightly smaller than the life is strange 2 exclusive square enix box. It comes with a standard copy of life is strange 2.

#171 Jurai  

Posted 31 January 2020 - 05:32 AM

I was really hoping to see a Switch Lite LE for Animal Crossing, might cave and get a second switch now though

#172 dualrec  

Posted 31 January 2020 - 04:05 PM

My next switch will be when they make me a fine ass Bayonetta edition.   :pray:

#173 Dr_dreadful  

Dr_dreadful

Posted 31 January 2020 - 05:32 PM

I was really hoping to see a Switch Lite LE for Animal Crossing, might cave and get a second switch now though

That's why the switch sells so well.

It's why the 3ds sold so well the past 6 years despite no real games for it. I know a lot of people who will buy the exact same system multiple times just because it has a new paint job on it. Nintendo released it and spent 3 to 5 years just re releasing it with a new theme paint job and a digital game included and people kept buy it. They would do this a dozen times and once people got tired of it they would then give the system a slight upgrade and start the whole process again.

That's why we won't see a new switch for a year or two because they will just milk the existing one with new color schemes till people stop buying. Then they will do a minor upgrade and do it again. I know many people who rebought a switch just for a minor battery upgrade and now want to buy it again for a paint job.

I bet for every 1 million switches sold only about 35% of them are from new switch owners. I bet the majority of them are from people buying another one.

#174 elessar123  

Posted 31 January 2020 - 06:27 PM

"minor battery upgrade"

#175 Dr_dreadful  

Dr_dreadful

Posted 31 January 2020 - 08:08 PM

"minor battery upgrade"

Going from 3 hours to 6 is minor. Sure its double the length but doubling a small number is still a small number. Minor is in it worth rebuying the entire system for? Nope. But people will willingly do it anyway because its nintendo and they will rebuy an entire nintendo system just for a paint job, or a small upgrade. But there is a saying about fools and their money for a reason.

#176 gravel   Meh CAGiversary!   1704 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2020 - 11:05 PM

I don’t have a Switch yet but I’ll probably get that Animal Crossing one.  Hopefully it shows up on Amazon soon for pre-orders.

#177 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   4228 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 01 February 2020 - 12:40 AM

I must one of the few that never cared for Animal Crossing or Pokemon at all. Two huge Nintendo franchises I could not give less damn about.

#178 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4636 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2020 - 02:14 AM

I'm curious to ask why? The 'switch' lite in my eyes is a friggin' joke. The entire point of the switch's existence is to... SWITCH. Making a 'lite' version is asinine, it should have just been called something entirely different.

#179 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4636 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2020 - 02:15 AM

I must one of the few that never cared for Animal Crossing or Pokemon at all. Two huge Nintendo franchises I could not give less damn about.

I remember spending countless hours on Animal Crossing for gamecube, and an what feels like an infinite amount on the 3DS version. I loved the series so much I got the toys r us exclusive 3DS XL edition. I'm afraid though now that I'm a decent amount older from when I used to play that type of game, I just don't have the time to sit and 'waste' it on that style of gameplay nowadays. 

#180 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14860 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 February 2020 - 07:36 AM

So it basically works only with store pickup? Cuz of the huge paper receipt they give you which doesn’t show the price of the steelbook or something? Though I think the receipt shows the total items picked up

It's because they get treated as separate transactions at that point, or at least that's my best guess. The receipt for the game mentions nothing of the SB and vice-versa so there's no paper trail.