24 TV Series/Movie Discussion: Season 8 DVD/BluRay out 12/7/10 | 24 Movie COMING SOON

[quote name='fart_bubble']Anyone else hoping Janeane Garofalo's character ends up being a traitor just so we can see Jack put a bullet into her?[/QUOTE]

Actually I like her. Err, I mean her character, I've never been a fan of hers but I don't mind her in this role. Now the OTHER computer guy, he's kind of annoying (the one with his wife on the plane).

Sweet and you saved me the trouble of looking for them, thanks! :]

Hope they're still up later tonight, sadly I'm sorta chained to the missus right now.

Episode 4 has just lowered my enthusiasm for the entire season.

Way too many unbelieveable/cliched things went on, such as Jack joining the other side just by pointing a gun and yelling, a three-man non-funded team going against the Government, and what looks like the beginning of lame and emo subplots.

It didn't bother me to much. I could see Jack turning so easily since it was Bill Buchanan who he trusts completely.

The 3 man thing didn't bother me much either. Tony was already inside since he was really working for that guy for a while. So all Bill and Chloe had to do was just get him to their side and give him tech support and intel. And the series had built Chloe up as one of the best in the world at that stuff and Bill has lots of connections himself and through his wife (though she hasn't shown up yet).

I mean yeah, it's far fetched for the real world. But I don't think it's far fetched by 24 standards. The show has always been over the top and unbelievable.

I actually meant how what's-his-name (the bad guy that Tony is playing) let Jack into the party so easily, going as far as to shoot the other guy.

Anybody would have seen that Jack was full of shit---who would risk going against an army of FBI for one man. The timing would have also been too big of a coincidence, and Jack was literally sweating.

Honestly, I think my main problem is that they let on to the fact that Tony was a good guy way too early. I knew he was going to end up being a good guy, but I assumed it wouldn't have been revealed until half way into the season. Carlos Bernard has said that his true intentions aren't revealed until the fifth episode, though...

Yeah I knew they wouldn't hold out with Tony long--otherwise he wouldn't have been in the previews way back last year before the writer's strike postponed the season. I'm glad they didn't drag it out too long personally, as it's nice to have Tony back as a good guy.

I can see you're gripes with that scene. But still didn't bother me too much since Jack was going to face criminal charges after the senate hearings--that at least gives him some believability. Still not realistic, but nothing to kill my enjoyment of the show or anything.

See, I'm ok with all that. I can't stand the lady President and her husband.

President: "I don't know what to do, save American lives or save African lives"

Come on!!! :dunce:

President's Husband: To his bodyguard - "you ratted me out but I still trust you, lets go find out what happened to my son"

Really!?!?

I'll still watch the whole season, but last night's episode was a bit of a letdown. Rogue CTU, and government conspiracy, that's a little too over the top for me.

So thanks to Hulu (and Linkin Prime) I'm nearly caught up, having watched the first 3 episodes. So far it doesn't quite match the first 3 seasons, but I'm digging it so far. They really ramped up pace with this one. Where as the past few seasons dragged crucial plot points out over the course of several episodes, it's been pretty fast-paced so far. Also I like how they essentially rebooted the series, streamlining how convoluted the series has gotten.

Hopefully Heroes will follow suit :]

Good episode. I wonder what's going to happen to the President's husband.

[quote name='flasht3']Was that a silent clock at the end?[/quote]
I think it was. That silent count down used to mean something but it's so played out now.

so far this was the first episode where I was truly interested in what was going on this season so far. The president husband story is what pulled me in... everything else I expect to take off later.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']The president husband story is what pulled me in... everything else I expect to take off later.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it's kind of sad when the A plot takes a back seat to the B plot...

This season is painfully slow, and I just don't *care* what's going on with Jack right now. The whole "Jack's working within the bad guys to take them down" thing has already been done to death. Where's the tension that 24 is supposed to be famous for? Yawn.

[quote name='dcfox']That silent count down used to mean something but it's so played out now.[/quote]???

Solid episode tonight. I have a feeling the next few hours will be very promising.

I'm not sure what's worse, the silent clock playing and nothing meaningful happens or having the silent clock for a character that's only been on 5(?) episodes. If she lives, which she probably will, and they end up spinning her into some sort of love interest for Jack I'm going to be royally pissed.

That's funny that you guys are pointing out the silent clock, I mentioned both that and the fact that Chapelle's silent clock was easily the "best" one to a friend of mine earlier.

[quote name='H-Town Info']that Emerson is a cool evil guy...[/QUOTE]

Emerson , the actor, never seemed to have luck in films....He was a regular actor on the Highlander series, he is good, but never really made it out of the series...He was even in one x-men movie, but not lucky with big roles, hope this helps him!

[quote name='hcamacho']Emerson , the actor, never seemed to have luck in films....He was a regular actor on the Highlander series, he is good, but never really made it out of the series...He was even in one x-men movie, but not lucky with big roles, hope this helps him![/quote]

As soon as he appears in each episode I yell "METHOS"

[quote name='thehuskerfan']No silent clock will ever come close to Chapelle's clock. To those who have seen season 3, you know what I mean.[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but Edgar's was pretty good too.

Ok episode this week. Not a nail biter, but not horrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tenzor']It looks like Season 8 will be the final season of 24, and a 24 movie would follow after.

Source:

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/24/will-jack-bauer-die-24-talks-l-25709.aspx

Kind of sad to hear, and sucks that all my favorite shows are ending or have ended (Lost, Prison Break, The Shield, and now maybe 24.)[/QUOTE]

Doesn't Keifer Sutherland's contract run out after next year anyway? Seems like a good time to call it quits.

From that article-

But what about Jack himself? Gordon did say he hopes to “blow up the whole world”—even Jack, yes—but will this actually happen any time soon? Will Jack actually die?

“We realize now that [Jack's] more a human being than we really thought,” Jon Casar, another executive producer at 24, said. “He's not the Superman everyone thinks he is.”

That WOULD be good though, if they DID blow up the whole damn world to end the series! Fox might have something to say about it though.

it's getting better. This has probably been the slowest start for me on all the 24 seasons, but it seems to finally be picking up now. Sadly the compelling parts are the ones with Jack and the ones with the president's husband.

damn why did they have to
kill off Carly Pope (Samantha Roth) she was so hot, and her death was very gruesome.
, but otherwise it was a very solid episode. I can't wait until next weeks episode after seeing the preview.

Pretty solid so far I have been hooked on the show ever since getting the first season on DVD a few years ago(I still smile when an Allstate ad comes on thinking hey its President Palmer!). I admit that Season 6 was probably the weakest one but it sure beats most shows out there.

Honestly before I got hooked on 24 it was all HBO series for me. OZ, The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Deadwood, Rome, and The Wire. Started to get into some Showtime ones like Dexter and Weeds. The only shows on regular TV I watched were mostly animated or CSI.

Heroes was a nice change and the first season was great. Lost it in the second one though. The third has improved but when a game company like Ubisoft cancels plans to make a game based on the series that could spell doom. The ratings have really went in the tank as well(still I have hopes for the next season).

Lost I still have not started and from what people have told me of the last few seasons is probably not worth my investment.

The Shield I have liked so far and still need to watch the second season.
House still have not started either same with Prison Break. I have however heard great things about them both.

I'm really looking forward to Dollhouse though.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']
Lost I still have not started and from what people have told me of the last few seasons is probably not worth my investment.
[/QUOTE]

Lost is great. All 4 seasons have been solid so far, and the premiere to season 5 last week was great.

The first half of season 2 and the first half of season 3 drug a bit, but they both rebounded and finished strong.

Its probably my all time favorite series. Not to get off topic, but had to throw that out there so you don't miss out on it because of some bad recommendations. I don't know anyone who was a big fan of season 1 who has quit watching--just a few people who were iffy on whether they liked it from the start.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Lost is great. All 4 seasons have been solid so far, and the premiere to season 5 last week was great.

The first half of season 2 and the first half of season 3 drug a bit, but they both rebounded and finished strong.

Its probably my all time favorite series. Not to get off topic, but had to throw that out there so you don't miss out on it because of some bad recommendations. I don't know anyone who was a big fan of season 1 who has quit watching--just a few people who were iffy on whether they liked it from the start.[/quote]

Well I do on plan giving it a shot in the future though.

Back on the topic at hand. who do you think are the "leaks" in the FBI and Government.
The thought of the head FBI guy is plausible. Has anything been revealed yet that Ethan Canin(bob gunton's character) is connected to the conspiracy in someway? Though it almost seems too easy for him to be a traitor since he is not backing the president and trying to get her to withdraw the troops. However his opionions are logical and it is just his own thoughts on the course of action. Have we found out who the Vice President is yet?

[quote name='evildeadjedi']
Honestly before I got hooked on 24 it was all HBO series for me. OZ, The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Deadwood, Rome, and The Wire. Started to get into some Showtime ones like Dexter and Weeds. The only shows on regular TV I watched were mostly animated or CSI.

The Shield I have liked so far and still need to watch the second season.
[/quote]

I am watching Deadwood right now and I am loving it. I am almost done with Season 2, man do I highly recommend that show to anyone looking for a new show to watch. Also The Shield is my favorite show of all time so I'm glad to see you are watching that. Seasons 5 and 7 of The Shield are two of the greatest seasons of a TV show I have ever seen.

I am going to watch The Wire after I finish Deadwood. I was able to pick up the entire series for $82 on Amazon. I hope I like it, I'm a little afraid I won't be as big of a fan of it as most people are but time will tell.

EDIT: I just saw your avatar...... I'm a huge fan of MMA too as you can tell by my avatar. :applause: Nicely done.

Love it love it love it.

I hate the damn president though...how the fuck does she keep putting American live's at risk to save another country :wall:.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']
I hate the damn president though...how the fuck does she keep putting American live's at risk to save another country :wall:.[/QUOTE]

It's not so much to save lives in another country as it is to show that terrorists can't influence American by threatening it's citizen's. Letting the government be taken hostage would set a bad precedent, so I can see where her thinking is coming from.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It's not so much to save lives in another country as it is to show that terrorists can't influence American by threatening it's citizen's. Letting the government be taken hostage would set a bad precedent, so I can see where her thinking is coming from.[/quote]

I understand what she's trying to do, but there's no harm (in the US anyways) to pull back the troops...regroup and come up with another plan.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I understand what she's trying to do, but there's no harm (in the US anyways) to pull back the troops...regroup and come up with another plan.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was thinking this exact thing when I saw the episode this week. Just buy some time, Lady, and pull back until later, and WHAM!! You can still show the terrorists we mean business!!

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I understand what she's trying to do, but there's no harm (in the US anyways) to pull back the troops...regroup and come up with another plan.[/QUOTE]

True, but it still sends a message that the US presidents decisions can be influenced by terrorist acts.

Which could encourage others to find ways to hold American lives hostage since it's shown that we will give into demands to save our citizens lives.

It's a tough issue and I don't envy leaders who have to make such decisions as it's really a lose-lose situation. Save American lives at the cost of setting a bad precendent and costing innocent lives in another country, or risk American lives.

[quote name='cgarb84']I am watching Deadwood right now and I am loving it. I am almost done with Season 2, man do I highly recommend that show to anyone looking for a new show to watch. Also The Shield is my favorite show of all time so I'm glad to see you are watching that. Seasons 5 and 7 of The Shield are two of the greatest seasons of a TV show I have ever seen.

I am going to watch The Wire after I finish Deadwood. I was able to pick up the entire series for $82 on Amazon. I hope I like it, I'm a little afraid I won't be as big of a fan of it as most people are but time will tell.

EDIT: I just saw your avatar...... I'm a huge fan of MMA too as you can tell by my avatar. :applause: Nicely done.[/quote]

Yes you will love Deadwood it was a fine series! I bought the first season of The Shield used at GS on a whim a few years ago and loved it! Have caught random episodes on FX from time to time also. The Wire is great I would honestly say its one of best crime dramas of all time(I'm only in the second season and I heard it just gets better!)

Hell yea Bas Rutten is one of my favorite fighters of all time I loved that he did fight commentary for PRIDE(RIP). Been a fan pretty much since the beginning of UFC(92 or 93 I believe). Fedor has been one of my favorite fighters to watch ever since he arrived on PRIDE. The man has an uncanny ability to land punches and get out of bad situations(plus he can take a ton of punishment!).

Well, first they show Tony to be a good guy after only two episodes, and now they destroy the CIP device after only a few shows. I like how they're changing things up, keeping it fresh!

Thoughts on this week's episode?

This weeks was pretty good and also like the first gentleman's story and Jack's are now coming full circle. I'm just curious if the rest of the season is going to be a hostage situation(ala most of season 1).

[quote name='evildeadjedi']This weeks was pretty good and also like the first gentleman's story and Jack's are now coming full circle. I'm just curious if the rest of the season is going to be a hostage situation(ala most of season 1).[/quote]

Don't forget that the Candyman still hasn't made an appearance.

bread's done
Back