Battlefield 3 - Armored Kill out now

[quote name='Pajama_Man']Just an FYI

Don't pay an arm and a leg for the Physical Warfare pack since it will be released for free to all players later this year. I see the codes go for $10-20 on eBay.

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/bat...k-available-to-all-battlefield-3-players.aspx

Now the SpecAct skins and the dog tags I am not as sure but I'd place my bet on them being available for free eventually as well. Patience friend![/QUOTE]

Whoa, those tags are selling for a lot. Maybe I should throw mine out there...

[quote name='crystalklear64']played a bunch more games and finally got to play some of the more fun maps. seine bridge/city/canal is fantastic. reminds me of berlin/basrah's edge. caspian border is also great. a little happier now that i've played some good maps.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I was worried about your earlier post where you stated you didn't like any of the maps you've played.
I'm just waiting for the Karkand pack!

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Whoa, those tags are selling for a lot. Maybe I should throw mine out there...[/QUOTE]

I have no idea even how to change or use the bonus tags... lol. ah well.

[quote name='Pajama_Man']Just an FYI

Don't pay an arm and a leg for the Physical Warfare pack since it will be released for free to all players later this year. I see the codes go for $10-20 on eBay.

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/bat...k-available-to-all-battlefield-3-players.aspx

Now the SpecAct skins and the dog tags I am not as sure but I'd place my bet on them being available for free eventually as well. Patience friend![/QUOTE]
That makes sense because I'm pretty sure the items are actually exclusive and can't be unlocked otherwise. I don't think you get them right away either because all I can find is the DAO shotgun in my customization screen. Can't swap the shells or find the suppressor anywhere for the other kits.

Tried a bit of the SP campaign and it's what I figured it would be: just another shooter on rails a la COD. It's OK but doesn't hold a candle to the MP. Wasn't necessary DICE and it just makes you look like tools trying to copy it.

You get all the stuff right away. As soon as I unlocked it I had the DAO with the different rounds and suppressor, and I had the Type88 LMG, as well as some other sniper rifle that wasnt advertised.

[quote name='jughead']Me!

I had 11.10 preview driver up and running with crossfire 6870s. I didn't have stuttering, but my frame rate just wasn't very good. I then installed CAP3 even though I read plenty of people saying not to. Well, the performance actually got better in a way. I was able to go up to "Ultra" and things look like they were gonna be good. It looks like I'm getting really good FPS but then there is this "stuttering" thing. Correct me if I wrong; but isn't that where the FPS looks like it is going great but you get all these short bursts of slow down? I know it will only be a matter of time before they fix this but it sucks.[/QUOTE]

I just downloaded an unofficial cap 4 profile, that seemed to clear up all the microstuttering.

Is anyone on here having an activation problem on their Battlefield 3 PC. I can't get it to log on and it keeps giving me a box with a spinning wheel that doesn't do anything.

Here are my PC settings:

Photo%20Oct%2025%2C%204%2015%2017%20PM.jpg

Anyone using the default settings? Runs really smooth, but as others have mentioned AA would be cool have have on...

Same settings (minus resolution; mine is 1200) I use and I'd prefer a smoother framerate to having AA on. Jaggies really aren't as big of an issue as they used to be except on shadows, but meh.

Man my accuracy sucks at this game, either that or everyone has magic bullets that can kill me in 2 shots while mine don't hit them or do no damage. I will bet on the accuracy part :lol:

People really need to learn when to defib people. I mean seriously my last two games, some jackass revived me and not even one second after being revived I was dead again. The second was I was revived infront of a tank and well you can probably guess how that went :lol:

They don't care is the problem. Defib equals points and back in the day we used to grief people that pissed us off by one of us switching sides and killing the person, then defibbing over and over. People are lucky k:d only works towards when you're dead, dead.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Man my accuracy sucks at this game, either that or everyone has magic bullets that can kill me in 2 shots while mine don't hit them or do no damage. I will bet on the accuracy part :lol:

People really need to learn when to defib people. I mean seriously my last two games, some jackass revived me and not even one second after being revived I was dead again. The second was I was revived infront of a tank and well you can probably guess how that went :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah I keep blaming my internet connection or scream HAX! whenever I'm sure I got someone with a full magazine and then they turn around and put only like 2 in me.

Anyways, you can choose to ACCEPT or to NOT ACCEPT the revive. I forget the "not accept" but "accept" is space bar. An on screen prompt will pop up to notify the player. This will help out with those unfortunate revives.

how do I zoom in using the tank? I remember in the beta it was a right mouse click, I just earned the zoom optics but I can figure out how to use it

[quote name='LazyTriangle']how do I zoom in using the tank? I remember in the beta it was a right mouse click, I just earned the zoom optics but I can figure out how to use it[/QUOTE]

you have to have the zoom ability unlocked first.

[quote name='Lemarfanz']you have to have the zoom ability unlocked first.[/QUOTE]

It is unlocked I've been using the tank almost exclusively since I started playing this game and I have unlocked 11 of the 13 tank abilities/perks? not sure what they're called but most of them I don't what they are or even how use them

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='egonpax']Yeah I keep blaming my internet connection or scream HAX! whenever I'm sure I got someone with a full magazine and then they turn around and put only like 2 in me.

Anyways, you can choose to ACCEPT or to NOT ACCEPT the revive. I forget the "not accept" but "accept" is space bar. An on screen prompt will pop up to notify the player. This will help out with those unfortunate revives.[/QUOTE]
I mean I know I suck and I can attribute 85% of my deaths to skill level but there are times I wonder how much my shitty internet affects my game :lol:

Thanks for that revive button. I did not know it was there, and it seems like well people will revive for points and only for points instead of logical common sense, lol.

[quote name='LazyTriangle']It is unlocked I've been using the tank almost exclusively since I started playing this game and I have unlocked 11 of the 13 tank abilities/perks? not sure what they're called but most of them I don't what they are or even how use them[/QUOTE]

Do you have to "equip" it in your tank loadout?

So I am really starting to hate this Canal map. I mean if my team is decent, then it's a decent map. It's just the last few games my team sucked so bad they could not hold a point, so every time my squad was dead I would have to drive all the way back to the mainland via the boats :wall:. Also since it's all water, there were times I had to wait for boats to respawn instead of just running.

Just stop playing the maps that suck IMO. I refuse to play Metro or whatever that shitty (France?) streets one is. Whenever those maps pop up I just find a new server. I wish I could find a good 24/7 Kharg server, because I'd just stay there all night.

Some fans have been outspoken about the effectivity of the jets asking for improvement. One fan expressed his concerns to Fredrik Thylander demanding “they [jets] need a buff.” Thylander, Senior Designer at DICE, confirmed “they [jets] are getting it [the buff].”
Someone is going to have to explain to me why jets need a buff, because they're stupid OP tank killers ATM. It literally takes no skill to fly straight at a tank and blow them away plus unless you have a dedicated team of engineers just waiting for one to show up, using the homing AA rockets are worthless thanks to flares and just plain maneuverability. They also take waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much to down, unless you happen to catch them head on with a shell as they're diving at you. When a good pilot is on a server, there's really no equal because nobody can take them out.

At least DICE is giving us jeep horns and VOs for I need a pickup lol. I hope this means you can just target a jeep or tank with the reticle and hit spot like it was in BC2. Seriously, who the hell is going to take the time to open commarose and move the cursor to I need a pickup? It's so annoying and takes so long that the person probably won't notice anyway. I don't get why they changed it to begin with because before it was perfect.

Wow, and the updates keep coming. Karkand in December. Ooh rah!

[quote name='Jodou']Just stop playing the maps that suck IMO. I refuse to play Metro or whatever that shitty (France?) streets one is. Whenever those maps pop up I just find a new server. I wish I could find a good 24/7 Kharg server, because I'd just stay there all night.[/QUOTE]

Conquest on Metro is way unbalanced, one team has clearly an unfair advantage and can hold the middle flag quite easily, Rush mode plays ok though. That second map is called Siene crossing I believe, I haven't found anything wrong with it so far I like it. The one I really hate is Damavand Peak, the tunnels are a huge bottleneck and most the fighting usually takes place inside of it

Ok so I see a few of you are talking about your rigs - I thought I had a decent video card, turns out it doesn't even meet the damn minimums - *sigh*. The game does play ok with minimal settings, but I feel like I'm missing out on what is supposed to be the best looking version. Plus I feel like with a better card maybe I'll pick up a small edge, and god knows I need it in this freakin' game. So, I guess I'll take the plunge and get a new video card in the next month or so.

Having decided that - recommendations please? Is this card the Crossfire 6870 you're all referring to? Is a 1GB card enough, or should I go higher?

On a related note - can I ask how the hell some of you have DUAL 6870s? Don't those take up 4 pci slots? What kind of monster motherboard, not to mention PSU, are you running?

Oh, and if you'd like to add me, my origin name is also teknikalei . I'm mired in noobness, but I'm trudging along slowly.

[quote name='teknikalei']Ok so I see a few of you are talking about your rigs - I thought I had a decent video card, turns out it doesn't even meet the damn minimums - *sigh*. The game does play ok with minimal settings, but I feel like I'm missing out on what is supposed to be the best looking version. Plus I feel like with a better card maybe I'll pick up a small edge, and god knows I need it in this freakin' game. So, I guess I'll take the plunge and get a new video card in the next month or so.

Having decided that - recommendations please? Is this card the Crossfire 6870 you're all referring to? Is a 1GB card enough, or should I go higher?

On a related note - can I ask how the hell some of you have DUAL 6870s? Don't those take up 4 pci slots? What kind of monster motherboard, not to mention PSU, are you running?

Oh, and if you'd like to add me, my origin name is also teknikalei . I'm mired in noobness, but I'm trudging along slowly.[/QUOTE]

Link doesn't work, but I just have 1 6870 in one slot, and another 6870 in the other, and they're running in crossfire. I have a 750 watt psu, but it's overkill for what I have, I think you could probably get away with a 600 watt. I'm running a fairly cheap Asus board.

Fixed link (sorry Cheapy ;) ), guess I didn't have a CAG referrer in the old one.

The 6870 I linked to seems to fill up 2 slots, so I'm doubtful it's the same one.

My PSU should be able to handle whatever card I choose, I upgraded it to a 750 a few weeks ago.

[quote name='teknikalei']Fixed link (sorry Cheapy ;) ), guess I didn't have a CAG referrer in the old one.

The 6870 I linked to seems to fill up 2 slots, so I'm doubtful it's the same one.

My PSU should be able to handle whatever card I choose, I upgraded it to a 750 a few weeks ago.[/QUOTE]

I actually have the reference version of that which is bigger. My PCI-E slots are pretty far apart, so I can fit two in there, but if your PCI-E slots are right beside each other, yeah, I guess they both wouldn't fit in there.:) If you're running a single screen, a 1gb card should be more then enough for ya to run Battlefield. The price for the XFX after rebate is pretty good, plus they have a lifetime warranty.

[quote name='docvinh']I actually have the reference version of that which is bigger. My PCI-E slots are pretty far apart, so I can fit two in there, but if your PCI-E slots are right beside each other, yeah, I guess they both wouldn't fit in there.:) If you're running a single screen, a 1gb card should be more then enough for ya to run Battlefield.[/QUOTE]

Depends on the resolution. If you're going to be playing at a res higher than 1920x1080, then a card with more than 1GB of vram would be useful. You dont have to get one of those ridiculous cards with like 3GB's of vram, but 1.5GB-2GB would be ideal.

I purchased a server earlier. If you're interested in some Infantry Only TDM, search for "Beast Mode Squad". The server is located in Chicago. It's been full for the past few hours since going live.

If anyone wants a comrade in arms for coop or multiplayer, I am available at all times and not currently affiliated to any squads or teams. hotelblvd is the id. look for me on origine or steam. I'd love to join a team!

[quote name='teknikalei'][snip]...

Oh, and if you'd like to add me, my origin name is also teknikalei . I'm mired in noobness, but I'm trudging along slowly.[/QUOTE]

Those are actually the exact cards I have running in Crossfire at the moment. Small word of "warning" however, these cards DO NOT come with a Crossfire bridge. You can either buy one for around $10, but if you register your cards on XFX's website then you can contact support and they'll send you one for free (although because of my lack of patience it seemed like forever before they even contracted me.) In reality, I think I had the CFX bridge within 10 days from originally requesting one. :)

In my motherboard there is plenty of space in between the slots to account for these "double" sized cards. I also have a Corsair 750 watt power supply which is enough.

Here are a couple of sites which might be able to help you decide.

Good recommendations (but also check reviews before deciding):
http://www.hardware-revolution.com/

PSU calculator
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

I know some people disagree with "Tom's" but I found this chart useful. I would recommend at least a 3 tier upgrade.
Graphics Cards Hierarchy Chart.

[quote name='teknikalei']Having decided that - recommendations please? Is this card the Crossfire 6870 you're all referring to? Is a 1GB card enough, or should I go higher?

On a related note - can I ask how the hell some of you have DUAL 6870s? Don't those take up 4 pci slots? What kind of monster motherboard, not to mention PSU, are you running?[/QUOTE]

I have an XFX 6870 (not the one you linked but the one with the stock cooler) installed on my rig it runs BF3 on high settings @1920x1080 without any problems, haven't tried Ultra settings yet since the game already looks so good. These graphics cards use a single PCI Express slot, on my Asus board the PCI slots are spread out in a way that I am able to install two 6870 in crossfire quite easily

[quote name='SEH']I purchased a server earlier. If you're interested in some Infantry Only TDM, search for "Beast Mode Squad". The server is located in Chicago. It's been full for the past few hours since going live.[/QUOTE]
Eww. That's like taking BF and making a COD mod. No thanks!

Anyway, I don't know what it is about amphibious assault maps, but I love both of them. Went 33/2 on whatever that harbor canals map is last night and I'm really digging the AA tank. I think maybe they'll need to nerf it a bit because it can do just about everything. Choppers go down in seconds and as far as infantry go, don't let me see you lol. It can even disable ducks pretty quick or at least by the time you overheat the guns. Love this game!

[quote name='Jodou']Eww. That's like taking BF and making a COD mod. No thanks!

Anyway, I don't know what it is about amphibious assault maps, but I love both of them. Went 33/2 on whatever that harbor canals map is last night and I'm really digging the AA tank. I think maybe they'll need to nerf it a bit because it can do just about everything. Choppers go down in seconds and as far as infantry go, don't let me see you lol. It can even disable ducks pretty quick or at least by the time you overheat the guns. Love this game![/QUOTE]

+1 on the AA tanks. I love them, but I see a huge nerf incoming. As for the maps with water, I'm not a huge fan. They're 90% concrete which means no nature to hide in. By the end of a round, most of the buildings are blown to shit. Infantry get a raw deal.

[quote name='Jodou']Eww. That's like taking BF and making a COD mod. No thanks![/QUOTE]

Eh, it's a nice change of pace from 16v16 or 32v32 where it's "EXPLOSIONS ROCKETS TANKS JETS OH SHIT FIND SOMEWHERE TO HIDE!". It's just nice to play some relaxing TDM sometimes where you dont constantly have shit flying all around you. The server obviously fills a niche as it's been full pretty much non-stop since going live.

OK seriously, DICE is out of their fucking mind if they want to keep buffing choppers and jets.
By far the easiest way to take down helis at moment is to use the Stinger against them; however, this will not be as easy in the near future. Alan Kertz, Battlefield 3′s Gameplay Designer, has pointed out that the Stingers’ nerf “is in discussion at the office now.” Fredrik Thylander, Senior Designer, reassured that the nerf is indeed “incoming”. To follow up on yesterday’s post, Kertz explained that Jets will not get disabled by 1 shot as it is the case at the moment; however, no further explanation was provided.
It takes very little skill to be good in these things as long as you're not a drooler and just keep moving (vs infantry/IFtanks at least). With flares being an absolute must, it's very rare that one person alone can defend a base against them. Problem is, that person is usually me. Whenever I disable one or the other I breathe a sigh of relief, because I know they won't be back for a while. I just don't understand why they're listening to crytits with no skill about buffing them further. I've seen plenty of games where skilled pilots almost never die, even when a few people are trying to kill them. If DICE goes through with such stupid buffs and I see helis/jets base raping like most people do, I'll just leave the server.

Even more reason for me to continue playing I/O. Jets and choppers are incredibly annoying when you're dealing with someone who has even the smallest bit of knowledge on how to fly as they can just rape everything on the ground with ease.

[quote name='SEH']Even more reason for me to continue playing I/O. Jets and choppers are incredibly annoying when you're dealing with someone who has even the smallest bit of knowledge on how to fly as they can just rape everything on the ground with ease.[/QUOTE]
I don't mind them as they're supposed to be tank killers, but I do get mad when they're just terrorizing the server scott-free. I very rarely am able to A) find a noob not using flares or B) actually able to derp them into blowing flares early so I can fire. If the deak doesn't work, they generally are moving around so much that I'll lose my lock or they go out of range. Nevermind the fact that you're highly exposed to enemies or even the pilot while trying to get a lock. I actually got killed once by a heli firing down on us when he was out of range for missile lock. That kind of shit is retarded.

Last night I joined a 32 player server and actually dug it. I ended up having fun, making more of a difference for my team, didn't seem to get too affected by lag, and getting more points than a 64 server out of the several rounds I played. I also got the chance to get into more vehicles. It sometimes felt a little bit "empty," especially compared to 64 so I think a 40-something players server would be nice to try out.

[quote name='egonpax']Last night I joined a 32 player server and actually dug it. I ended up having fun, making more of a difference for my team, didn't seem to get too affected by lag, and getting more points than a 64 server out of the several rounds I played. I also got the chance to get into more vehicles. It sometimes felt a little bit "empty," especially compared to 64 so I think a 40-something players server would be nice to try out.[/QUOTE]

32-man servers only feel empty if the server operator decided to keep it Conquest Large rather than Conquest Small. Large is meant for 64 people, so halving that can make the server feel empty.

JFC DICE hates engineers. Now they want to nerf the SCAR at close range. What, it having so much vertical kick wasn't enough to make it worthless medium range that you're going to make it shit for short as well? Notice how they're only nerfing stuff that's unlocked early on (UMP and now SCAR), so it's pretty obvious they're listening to whiny bitches.

[quote name='Jodou']JFC DICE hates engineers. Now they want to nerf the SCAR at close range. What, it having so much vertical kick wasn't enough to make it worthless medium range that you're going to make it shit for short as well? Notice how they're only nerfing stuff that's unlocked early on (UMP and now SCAR), so it's pretty obvious they're listening to whiny bitches.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I stopped using the SCAR after I realized it was damn near impossible to kill people further than like 40m away. It's pretty dumb that they're balancing the game toward people who aren't even going to be playing after the 8th when MW3 comes out.

Tried playing some games tonight, but it was just too laggy no matter what server I tried. This was 16 vs 16. Plus I love how in the battlelog it doesn't even tell me the ping of the server :roll:

No, what they need to add is better filters. Where is the no empty/full servers filter? What about >50 ping server? Selecting NA as the filter is worthless because there's plenty of bad ones out there with 100+ pings. It's not the worst I've seen, but far from perfect.

[quote name='panzerfaust']this thread makes the game sound horrendous[/QUOTE]
It's a problem when developers go too far with the RPG elements for an FPS. They often make the mistake of including staples among how you can customize something, which is a breakdown in game design since there is no longer an option for a specific slot. For this example, zoom is arguably the best in slot for optics and I'd never use anything else in a tank. Another is flares in any air vehicle, they're just absolutely mandatory unless you want to be shot down in a matter of seconds after take-off.

Instead of being able to feel totally customizable, people will just stick to what makes the most sense. There's plenty of things I look at and say ooh, that would be awesome to have buuuuuuuuuuut I can't give up this because it's too invaluable. When that happens, it means the designer blew it with balancing the options. Instead of it being a matter of colors to choose from, it becomes a "well the car can't run without gas" situation.

Loving Battlefield 3, but I have one pretty major gripe,and no it isn't Battlelog (that's a close second though).

Simply put, there are way too many things in this game that outright blind you. The sun itself with it's massive flare anytime you look in it's direction, the tactical flashlight which burns with the fury of a thousand suns, the laser sights that burn out your retinas when the person just looks in your general direction, and the suppression effect that simulates dunking your head underwater with eyeballs wide open anytime an enemy bullet comes within 10 ft of you. Add in all the explosions and camera shake that comes along with battle (which is cool btw) and it seems like you hardly ever have clear vision of anything.

Is there a way to tone that stuff down at all in video settings? Cause I really can't play this game for more than hour at a time because my eyes strain so much due to all those effects.

[quote name='TLPRIME']Loving Battlefield 3, but I have one pretty major gripe,and no it isn't Battlelog (that's a close second though).

Simply put, there are way too many things in this game that outright blind you. The sun itself with it's massive flare anytime you look in it's direction, the tactical flashlight which burns with the fury of a thousand suns, the laser sights that burn out your retinas when the person just looks in your general direction, and the suppression effect that simulates dunking your head underwater with eyeballs wide open anytime an enemy bullet comes within 10 ft of you. Add in all the explosions and camera shake that comes along with battle (which is cool btw) and it seems like you hardly ever have clear vision of anything.

Is there a way to tone that stuff down at all in video settings? Cause I really can't play this game for more than hour at a time because my eyes strain so much due to all those effects.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. I have screamed out loud more for getting blinded by my own team mates then any other part of the game. That flashlight makes no sense at all it boards that are sunny. Remember that board on the first expansion to BF2? Those flashlights made more sense.

bread's done
Back