Fire Pro Wrestling Returns, for under $15! 10/10 on 1up!

[quote name='wizardofcoz4126']So which version of FPW is the best? I only had a chance to play the Super Nes and the Dreamcast versions of the game.[/quote]

The only ones I have are G, D, Returns, and the first GBA game. The best version to me is Returns hands down. 500 wrestler slots on top of the default roster is awesome.

Of the "recent" Firepros (since Firepro S on the Saturn), D or Returns is the best. D gets credit for having a decent roster of WWE/WCW guys but with Returns you can recreate them all and not have to juggle VMUs to do it.

At the height of my FPD playing (2000-01), I had filled a total of 7 VMUs with wrestlers and the downloadable moves. That meant that even if I was just playing alone, I had to have four controllers plugged into my DC, it was a pain in the ass.

In Firepro S Terry Funk did indeed say, "You son of a bitch" while delivering the "Texas Jabs". I can't remember if "EC fuckin' W!" was in S or came later.

Unfortunately the 'E-C-fuckin - W!' voice sample is not in FPR. =( I pushed my Tommy Dreamer edit to the moon cos of that sample in D. =)

Theres still plenty of great voice samples in R tho, you can yell out things like 'D-D-T!' or 'BraiiinBustaaah!' before you hit moves. Theres a great randy savage 'Ohhhh Yeaaah!' in there. And theres even female voices for making women wrestlers.

[quote name='Halo05']Of the "recent" Firepros (since Firepro S on the Saturn), D or Returns is the best. D gets credit for having a decent roster of WWE/WCW guys but with Returns you can recreate them all and not have to juggle VMUs to do it.

At the height of my FPD playing (2000-01), I had filled a total of 7 VMUs with wrestlers and the downloadable moves. That meant that even if I was just playing alone, I had to have four controllers plugged into my DC, it was a pain in the ass.

In Firepro S Terry Funk did indeed say, "You son of a bitch" while delivering the "Texas Jabs". I can't remember if "EC fuckin' W!" was in S or came later.[/quote]

[quote name='RawisJericho']The only ones I have are G, D, Returns, and the first GBA game. The best version to me is Returns hands down. 500 wrestler slots on top of the default roster is awesome.[/quote]

Thanks for the info you two! This is definately a day one purchase. Since the DC version required so much VMU swapping, I wonder how big the saves will be on a PS2 memory card?

[quote name='wizardofcoz4126']Thanks for the info you two! This is definately a day one purchase. Since the DC version required so much VMU swapping, I wonder how big the saves will be on a PS2 memory card?[/quote]
No problem, my save file is 916kb and that is with 500 edited wrestlers, 6 custom ring mats, around 4 or 5 created belts, and a created referee.

Also check out the FPR thread in the video game deals forum. I posted some more videos of the game there. One match is The Amazon vs Starman :cool:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151763

By the way, tell all of your friends about this game too!

The JP FPR save is 916kb or, about an eighth of one card. With that you get plenty of room for ring edits, referee edits and wrestler edits. I can't remember if FPR lets you run saves off two cards at once (allowing twice as many rings and created wrestlers) but I'll check when I get a chance (probably Friday).

DAMN, beat to the punch.

[quote name='Halo05']The JP FPR save is 916kb or, about an eighth of one card. With that you get plenty of room for ring edits, referee edits and wrestler edits. I can't remember if FPR lets you run saves off two cards at once (allowing twice as many rings and created wrestlers) but I'll check when I get a chance (probably Friday).

DAMN, beat to the punch.[/quote]
Wow posted at the same time. :)

I'm pretty sure you can't run saves off of two cards at once.

*edit*
You can transfer wrestlers from one memory card to another though. I have my primary memory card, and then I have a second card I download edit packs to and then I transfer the wrestlers off my second card onto the primary one.

I have an old sharkport that really sucks transferring stuff on. I'm going to get the action replay evo sometime soon.

TOO COOL! I've waited a long while for the US to see a Fire Pro game on a console. The GBA one was real good but this one looks amazing. Pre-ordered from amazon!

LoLz at Bruiser Brody spitting mist in the trailer.

Ive been playing the import version of Returns regularly for a couple of years now and Im excited for this! I can't wait to see all the edits and logos and stuff that the new, much larger North American fanbase comes up with! :D

[quote name='Halo05']The JP FPR save is 916kb or, about an eighth of one card. With that you get plenty of room for ring edits, referee edits and wrestler edits. I can't remember if FPR lets you run saves off two cards at once (allowing twice as many rings and created wrestlers) but I'll check when I get a chance (probably Friday).

DAMN, beat to the punch.[/quote]

Well, it is a good thing that I have a HD installed in my PS2. :lol:

Hell fucken yes!!! I have Fire Pro Wrestling 2 for the GBA and I absolutely love it. I have played the hell out of it for the past year. I have over 40 very detailed edits. I couldn't believe the GBA could pack so much punch in a wrestling game. It is defintely the best wrestling game I ever played. I'm probably never going to pick up another Smackdown game after last year's horrible mess even though I LOVED SvR06. Can't wait to pick up FPR.

Anyone know if there's a way to get an "X-Port" to work on a slim PS2? It worked fine on my fatty PS2, but the slim PS2 gives me that red "please insert a compatible disc" screen. I'd love to be able to download edited rosters without having to buy a new peripheral.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Anyone know if there's a way to get an "X-Port" to work on a slim PS2? It worked fine on my fatty PS2, but the slim PS2 gives me that red "please insert a compatible disc" screen. I'd love to be able to download edited rosters without having to buy a new peripheral.[/quote]

My X-Port doesn't work half the time on my fat PS2. The only way I can get it to work is if I stand the PS2 up vertically. Try doing that with your slim.

If that doesn't work, you should just buy an Action Replay Evo. The X-Port has been nothing but a huge pain in the ass for me over the years.

If you have a PS2 with a HDD, is there any way to somehow hook the PS2 up to a PC, and just directly transfer save files to the HDD?

The preview gave me a woody of mass proportions...now if only I had the mass to go along with my phrase...ANYWAY...it was a sweet preview

So far, colors remain unaltered.

fire-pro-returns-20070926060431679.jpg

[quote name='RawisJericho']Now I hope they don't fuck with the premade movesets.[/quote]
I was just playing the GBA version, and Terry Funk didn't have the fireball that he did in one of those IGN videos. Did this get added somewhere along the line, or is this proof of them messing with the movesets?

Ooh, sounds like Agetec is sending out Bill Wood's FPR guide to the review sites. Certainly hope they at least left his name (and the credits) in the guide.

Either way, it sounds like they're keeping everything from the original game intact.

[quote name='evilmax17']I was just playing the GBA version, and Terry Funk didn't have the fireball that he did in one of those IGN videos. Did this get added somewhere along the line, or is this proof of them messing with the movesets?[/quote]

The official video has guys doing moves they've never done. Like Brody spitting green mist and Tiger Mask doing a tombstone off the top rope are two of the moves off the top of my head.

I'm hoping they did it just for the video only. Maybe to show people the types of moves you can do in the game.

[quote name='RawisJericho']The official video has guys doing moves they've never done. Like Brody spitting green mist and Tiger Mask doing a tombstone off the top rope are two of the moves off the top of my head.

I'm hoping they did it just for the video only. Maybe to show people the types of moves you can do in the game.[/quote]

That video scared me a bit. If they feel they have to make changes to make the edits seem less like their real life counterparts, I'd rather they changed the colors/appearance than mess with the movesets.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']

I wish EBGS would huirry up and put the game in their systems, I want to pre-order at least three copies.[/QUOTE]
It's $20 or less, it won't be in their system until it comes out. You can't preorder games at that price point. The only exception being really popular ones like Brain Age.

[quote name='Puffa469']That video scared me a bit. If they feel they have to make changes to make the edits seem less like their real life counterparts, I'd rather they changed the colors/appearance than mess with the movesets.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I don't want to try and re-edit everyone's moves/finishers. It would be much easier to change (for example), Stings facepaint from green to white.

Going by the IGN vids, it seems like movesets (and appearances) are intact for U.S. guys. I'm pleasantly surprised by that, as I wasn't expecting them to get through unscathed, especially given that they were changed around for the GBA games and this is higher-profile than those. According to someone on the Firepro Club board, Terry Funk's character has the fire attack in Fire Pro Returns' JPN version.

Everyday I keep getting more and more pumped for this game. At less than $15, it's a steal. With a $35 Action Replay combined, it's got a "normal" price tag. Thinking about doing it that way, since downloading CAWs seems easier than making them completely.

That fireball attack is in the GBA version. I'm not sure if it was part of Terry Funk's moveset, but anyone could add that to their moveset.

Here are some videos showing off some edited wrestlers. Enjoy.

WWE/ECW
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhG3BwOV-iU[/media]

WWF
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0saFNBl7qo[/media]

TNA
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dmZ_RtFQSE[/media]

NWA
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOB5CcIrChM[/media]

Moves clip
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijeAKVYenGo[/media]

Cool videos Jericho. I hope they keep the color and move sets the same. I think I'm personally really excited about the create your own fed mode. I was never able to do this in the previous versions, so I hope it's something that'll make me just lose myself.

[quote name='ch3zyp00fs']bump to page one.[/quote]

I got an email from Amazon asking me to reapprove my order for 2 copies of this cos the publisher changed the release date. Still coming out in November tho. I think the 24th was the new date. Im too lazy to log back into Amazon and check.

I just hope some major retailers carry at LEAST one copy of it, like someplace like CC or something, so in that way I can get this for free with that $20 gc I have.

Otherwise, I may be eventually forced to either get this from GS(blech) or FYE's online site(blech due to gouging on shipping and no in store pickup option), since I doubt my local stores would carry a copy of it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I just hope some major retailers carry at LEAST one copy of it, like someplace like CC or something, so in that way I can get this for free with that $20 gc I have.

Otherwise, I may be eventually forced to either get this from GS(blech) or FYE's online site(blech due to gouging on shipping and no in store pickup option), since I doubt my local stores would carry a copy of it.[/quote]

I'm thinking GS (maybe wal-mart) is going to be the only places that carry the game. I can't tell you that I ever saw games like disaster report or raw danger at other retailers than GS or WM.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I can get this for free with that $20 gc I have.[/QUOTE]

If you're paying with a GC, that's not free. Milton Friedman you sure ain't.

[quote name='mykevermin']If you're paying with a GC, that's not free. Milton Friedman you sure ain't.[/quote]

It's free to me, since I got the gc for asking about Tony Hawk's Proving Ground for Wii a couple weeks ago and I got it as part of the $20 gc guarantee, begrudgingly on their part of course. And, if my car wasn't in the shop this week, I'd probably be hitting them up tomorrow and other days this week for another one, assuming they don't get those games advertised as 'in store (day of the week) by 2pm'.

[quote name='SL4IN']I'm thinking GS (maybe wal-mart) is going to be the only places that carry the game. I can't tell you that I ever saw games like disaster report or raw danger at other retailers than GS or WM.[/quote]

Actually, I think I did see Disaster Report @ Best Buy or Kmart, as well as it's sequel(Raw Danger) just recently, so some DO carry it. I just wish FYE would friggin carry one or more of the titles I want or do in-store pickup of stuff ordered online like BB, since their shipping is outrageous($6 for one item and any discount codes seem to work, till you go through the checkout procedure completely).

[quote name='RawisJericho']My X-Port doesn't work half the time on my fat PS2. The only way I can get it to work is if I stand the PS2 up vertically. Try doing that with your slim.

If that doesn't work, you should just buy an Action Replay Evo. The X-Port has been nothing but a huge pain in the ass for me over the years.[/QUOTE]Thanks for the tip! Anyone know of any good CAG deals for the Action Replay? Come to think of it, I should probably get a new memory card for this too. What's the best route for getting a memory card these days... I don't think I've bought one since I first got my PS2!

[quote name='b3b0p']Amazon says 2-4 weeks? Wtf?[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping it's due to a large number of preorders they have to fill. On my amazon account it still says shipping 11/13, arriving 11/15.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Thanks for the tip! Anyone know of any good CAG deals for the Action Replay? Come to think of it, I should probably get a new memory card for this too. What's the best route for getting a memory card these days... I don't think I've bought one since I first got my PS2![/QUOTE]

New, official Sony brand is still probably your best bet. I have no idea how much they cost nowadays. 19.99?

I ordered this on Amazon with Prey (360) when Prey was DOTD, and for some reason it says estimated shipping is December 3. Hopefully it'll ship soon.

bread's done
Back