Fire Pro Wrestling Returns, for under $15! 10/10 on 1up!

[quote name='evanft']And Stone Cold's theme music is called "Cool Violent" in the game.

So are all the Japanese wrestlers named correctly? Also, do people often clone and edit the in-game wrestlers to make them more accurate?[/quote]

The Japanese wrestlers have fake names just like the Americans (and Canadian and Mongolian, etc.)

People do edit the ingame wrestlers to make them more accurate. I haven't done it at all in Firepro Returns (US or JP version) but I remember when Firepro D was new and Spike was releasing downloadable moves, everyone had to go back and edit Keiji Mutoh after Spike added the Shining Wizard to the game.

Puffa - thanks for all the help, man. That's exactly what I needed to know. :D

I can't wait for Monday. :bouncy:

[quote name='Halo05']The Japanese wrestlers have fake names just like the Americans (and Canadian and Mongolian, etc.)

People do edit the ingame wrestlers to make them more accurate. I haven't done it at all in Firepro Returns (US or JP version) but I remember when Firepro D was new and Spike was releasing downloadable moves, everyone had to go back and edit Keiji Mutoh after Spike added the Shining Wizard to the game.[/QUOTE]

So I'm gonna have to wait for a US rename save before really getting going?

[quote name='evanft']So I'm gonna have to wait for a US rename save before really getting going?[/quote]

It's up to you. This release marks just about my 10 year anniversary with Firepro games so I'm pretty good at looking at the guys in the game and knowing their names. I can do most of New Japan, All Japan and NOAH without looking at guides. It's just time consuming. I generally force myself to name something like 9-10 guys every time I turn the game on before playing any matches.

I think I'll just keep the names as they are, rather than try and figure out who is who, especially with the non-US guys. I don't really follow wrestling all that much anymore, but I still know who's current and who's 'retired' or at least semi retired.

EDIT: I just re-re-re-re-re-checked buy.com and my order is listed as SHIPPED!!! WOO HOO

Unfortunately, for anyone else who tries ordering it now, it's listed as 'in stock soon' on their site.

[quote name='carthitup']Puffa - thanks for all the help, man. That's exactly what I needed to know. :D[/quote]

Ah, no worries. Im always more than happy to help spread the Firepro love around (that sounded kinda disgusting, lol) and get more people into playing the game.

Ive been playing Firepro almost since the beginning, over 15 years now. Playing Firepro is actually what got me interested in Japanese wrestling.

It can be a little daunting for a first time player, even with the game now being in english.

As for renaming guys, I suspect that will be one of the first gamesaves we see made available, within the next week or two. Thats what I'll use as my base save, before I start adding edits.

And yeah, lots of people clone the ingame guys and edit their stats. Alot of the default guys are kinda screwy, I guess its hard to playtest 300+ edits fully. A couple of examples of guys that need to be edited....

Jeff Jarrett - has a priority logic setup where, whenever he hits the 'Stroke', instead of going for a pin, he hits a single leg boston crab (prawn hold). This leads to him winning all his matches with a lame single leg submission.

Milano Collection AT - He has a move he does where he runs up the corneer turnbuckle and does some flippity legdrop thing. Now his default edit has that move assigned to it, but he doesnt have the actual ability to run up the corner turnbuckle, therefore he cant actually ever do the move.

Thats just two example of guys you would want to clone and edit if you plan on using them at all.

I also often change up the edits that others have made to make them better fit into my federation, and work better with my other edits. This can mean adding or subtracting edit points to bring the wrestler more in line with the rest of the boys, or changing moves. I took the CM Punk edit Ive been using and I gave him the GTS (Go To Sleep) because he uses that now. I actualy have him fueding with KENTA in my fed over stealing that move among others, lol.

I've been searching for a cheap AR, too, and thought I hit pay dirt on TRU.com.

AR for $6.98? Hell yeah!

Oh... wait... no, it's the Codebreaker by Pelican, but they plugged the title AND description from the AR Max onto the page.

And, to no one's surprise, when I called about figuring out which it was, they seemed wholly unconcerned, and couldn't quite grasp what I was telling them. 'You want to know the manufacturer?' Yes. Yes, that's correct, I want you to tell me information that is already on that page. 5 minute conversation, and the woman just wasn't grasping that I was telling her they were actually selling a completely different item on the page.

Either way, if I find one cheaper than $24.99, I'll post it.

Edit - Interesting question, since it's not listed on their site, but does GameStop sell *used* Action Replays? I know they used to carry used GameSharks, so I assume the answer is yes... but any confirmation or price would be helpful.

PS3 owners can now enjoy Firepro edits without anything more complicated than buying a USB flash drive.

I don't want to post any direct links but head over to www.fireproclub.com and check out their forums for the American version of FPR. It's a breeze and I'm thrilled that I won't be having to rebuy a PS2 just for Firepro save issues.

[quote name='Halo05']PS3 owners can now enjoy Firepro edits without anything more complicated than buying a USB flash drive.

I don't want to post any direct links but head over to www.fireproclub.com and check out their forums for the American version of FPR. It's a breeze and I'm thrilled that I won't be having to rebuy a PS2 just for Firepro save issues.[/QUOTE]

That is awesome, I knew it would only be a matter of time. I just got confirmation from EB that mine shipped today along with my King of Fighters XI...stoked!

Ooph.

I've been playing FPW GBA pretty regularly for the past few months in order to prepare for this, and I think I may have done more harm than good. I don't know what it is, but I think the timing is slightly off between the two games. In my first match with Scott Hall, I don't think I got one grapple off.

I've since improved to where I'm getting about 80% of my moves off. Ah well, shouldn't have expected to completely master it in a day. I should be ok by the end of the week.

Rikishi has his butt-slap taunt, but not the stinkface!? I weep.

So glad they kept colors and movesets intact. So glad.

Anybody know why none of Vader's default costumes has the mask? Just curious.

I think he pretty much stopped wearing the mask during matches. Browsing through youtube, I saw him take off the mask before matches but few (I didn't notice any) matches where he was wearing it during the action. Still, his mask is in edit mode and because this game is freaking great, you could edit his default appearance and have him wearing it.

[quote name='Halo05']I think he pretty much stopped wearing the mask during matches. Browsing through youtube, I saw him take off the mask before matches but few (I didn't notice any) matches where he was wearing it during the action. Still, his mask is in edit mode and because this game is freaking great, you could edit his default appearance and have him wearing it.[/quote]

Odd that they would remove it tho. In the Japanese version at least one of his four edit colors has the mask.

Well, my copy is supposedly going to be arriving tomorrow morning. Will finally get to find out what the fuss is about this game. Hopefully it comes fairly early tomorrow, as I'll only have until 3pm to play it.

Kinda glad I ordered it online, even though it took a while. Been checking game stores around the area and all of them don't have the game.

My order was processed through Philly's mail center now, which is only about 2 hours away from me, so I'm thinking I should be getting my copy tomorrow too. But my mailman is lucky if he gets here by 4:30pm, unlike my old neighborhood where we had our mail by 10 am every day.

I'm itching to try this too, but I still have to get back to my SD vs Raw season mode game, I left off at the SD after the No Way Out PPV. Only thing I didn't win during the year I've played of season mode was the Royal Rumble trophy, but thats because I was still the champ going into it.

Ahhhh well....what's another 5-6 hours of playing to get back to the RR.

[quote name='Cao Cao']10/10 from 1up
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3164517[/QUOTE]

They pretty much nailed it. I started *really* playing wrestling games in 1997 when I got my Saturn modded because of positive press about Firepro Wrestling S. In the ten years since then, I've at least sampled every prowrestling franchise that's come along. At the end of the day, nothing pulls it all together like FPR. There's really no limit on what you can do with the game.

Which reminds me, I need to finish my 37 team round robin tournament tomorrow in order to determine the top 8 tag teams who will vie for the World Tag Titles. I'm stunned that the team of Steve Corino and Jeff Jarrett is doing so well. On the other hand, the Road Warriors are really struggling. Once I get finished with the round robin league, I'll enter the top 8 teams in a one night tournament.

[quote name='Halo05']
Which reminds me, I need to finish my 37 team round robin tournament tomorrow in order to determine the top 8 tag teams who will vie for the World Tag Titles. I'm stunned that the team of Steve Corino and Jeff Jarrett is doing so well. On the other hand, the Road Warriors are really struggling. Once I get finished with the round robin league, I'll enter the top 8 teams in a one night tournament.[/quote]

Jeff Jarrett and Corino are both BEASTS in FPR for some reason. Jarrett was my World Champ for almost a year. The two of them in a tag team should be nearly unstoppable unless you have some real firepro legends in some of your other teams. Im sure they will make the top 8.

Is there an easier way to edit the colors?

I hate doing every shade. :bomb:

There's the premade list of standard colors, have you seen that? I can't remember exactly what brings it up but it helps immensely with standard colors.

Couple things as I use random select.

D'Lo Brown's head looks more like Cuba Gooding Jr. than D'Lo to me. Glad he's in it by default though.

I just played against a wrestler named Bino St. 200, don't know what his real name is, but he's described as a Gigilo. He did a move to me while I was on the ground, where he motioned as if he was pulling down his tights, and then proceeded to teabag me. I couldn't believe it. Then he did a move where he motioned as if he was pulling down his tights, and then he did a piledriver.

What's the story with this guy?

[quote name='evilmax17']Couple things as I use random select.

D'Lo Brown's head looks more like Cuba Gooding Jr. than D'Lo to me. Glad he's in it by default though.

I just played against a wrestler named Bino St. 200, don't know what his real name is, but he's described as a Gigilo. He did a move to me while I was on the ground, where he motioned as if he was pulling down his tights, and then proceeded to teabag me. I couldn't believe it. Then he did a move where he motioned as if he was pulling down his tights, and then he did a piledriver.

What's the story with this guy?[/quote]

Thats Dino Danshoku.

Hes a Japanese wrestler with an over the top homosexual gimmick. One of his big moves is called the 'Danshoku Driver' which is a pile driver where he pulls open the front of his tights and stuffs your head in there and then piledrives you with your face in his erm.... area. He's got a few other 'gay' moves as well.

*edit* heres his Wiki entry, his move names are hilarious. You can find vids of his matches on the tube.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danshoku_Dieno

• Entrance theme
    • "Suriru" by Tomoyasu Hotei, which is accompanied by him running around the arena trying to make out with male members of the audience as the announcer (typically) screams for everyone to run for their lives in what is described by smart mark fans as a parody of the typical entrance that Bruiser Brody and Tiger Jeet Singh would do in the 80s, where they would run and try to start a riot.

Fire Pro Wrestling was on the GBA. Hopefully if this version is successful they'll make a version of it for the DS, because I don't think I want to play this game in front of my kids, but I do want to play it. :) Plus I just don't get a lot of time to play console games. I ride the train every day, and that's when most of my gaming happens. Of course there are the GBA versions. Of the ones available what's the best? I realize this is a tad off topic since I'm talking GBA/DS, but it's still about Fire Pro Wrestling.

[quote name='evilmax17']I've been playing FPW GBA pretty regularly for the past few months in order to prepare for this, and I think I may have done more harm than good. I don't know what it is, but I think the timing is slightly off between the two games. In my first match with Scott Hall, I don't think I got one grapple off.[/QUOTE]
When I went from FPW on GBA -> FPWD for Dreamcast, I always got my ass kicked. I think the advance games were probably on a different timing system.

[quote name='crunchewy']Fire Pro Wrestling was on the GBA. Hopefully if this version is successful they'll make a version of it for the DS, because I don't think I want to play this game in front of my kids, but I do want to play it. :) Plus I just don't get a lot of time to play console games. I ride the train every day, and that's when most of my gaming happens. Of course there are the GBA versions. Of the ones available what's the best? I realize this is a tad off topic since I'm talking GBA/DS, but it's still about Fire Pro Wrestling.[/QUOTE]

I don't import games, except for one. If you want a GBA Fire Pro, try and import Final Fire Pro Wrestling. There are translation guides on the net that work perfectly, but it's great. Management of the Ring mode is one of the best game modes in any wrestling game.

[quote name='pete5883']When I went from FPW on GBA -> FPWD for Dreamcast, I always got my ass kicked. I think the advance games were probably on a different timing system.[/quote]

Yup, that's pretty much it. If you set the speed to 125% on the console version it will match (or be close to) the speed on the GBA Firepro games. Had the same thing happen to me when I went back to playing Firepro S after playing FPA.

[quote name='evilmax17']AHAHAHAHA! That's awesome!

F-P-W! F-P-W!

This should really be added to the subject line of this thread. Unbelievable.[/QUOTE]
Oh right, that's me!

[quote name='Halo05']There's the premade list of standard colors, have you seen that? I can't remember exactly what brings it up but it helps immensely with standard colors.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if anyone can share this, that would be a big help. I take it this would make edit heads their own pre-made colors (when choosing a head), instead of the palette that is already in place?

[quote name='bmarquardt']Yeah, if anyone can share this, that would be a big help. I take it this would make edit heads their own pre-made colors (when choosing a head), instead of the palette that is already in place?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I can't get that to work. It was a feature on previous Firepro games but I think it was taken out of FPR. I can't remember if it worked on the import version or not (I don't think it did).

Hold on a second and I'll write up how to at least pull up a palette (pallatte? w/e) for an edit part.

Okay, here's the step by step process.

Go into the main edit menu, select wrestler and pick whose appearance you want to modify.

Get to that wrestler's appearance menu.

Select a part of the body you want to modify (we'll do Head). Hit O to expand the head listing which will bring up...

Head
-> Base xxx
-> Layer 1 none
-> Layer 2 none

For this example, we'll switch the hair color of our base model with a premade pallete.

Highlight Base and press O. Your cursor will jump over to the upper right with all the different, current color palletes for the base. At this point, pressing different directions will move you amoungst this palette window. The upper left palette with six gradiant controls skin color, we'll change that.

Highlight the upper left palette and press Square. This will make another menu appear. This menu has four choices. The top choice is labelled "Gradient Sample". That's the one we want to choose.

Hit X on "Gradient Sample" and another window will open up with many different generic skin tones. Scroll around the choices until you get one that you like. To apply that sample palette to your wrestler, hit X.

The process is the same for every body part although different premade palettes show up depending on what part you're looking at. For example, editing shirt colors brings up more than just skin tones.

Anyhow, I use these palettes as either the finished color or as a good starting point for quicker modifications.

[quote name='Puffa469']Thats Dino Danshoku.

Hes a Japanese wrestler with an over the top homosexual gimmick. One of his big moves is called the 'Danshoku Driver' which is a pile driver where he pulls open the front of his tights and stuffs your head in there and then piledrives you with your face in his erm.... area. He's got a few other 'gay' moves as well.

*edit* heres his Wiki entry, his move names are hilarious. You can find vids of his matches on the tube.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danshoku_Dieno[/quote]
Thanks for the info! I didn't think anybody would know without having his real name, glad I was wrong. This guy is absolutely hilarious, and I'm glad he and his moves were included in FPR.

Here's a match which incorporates most of them. I've never seen anything like it.

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=dxHuRtHicX0[/MEDIA]

So it turns out that the much cheaper Codebreaker might actually do the trick.

http://www.firstadopter.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-229.html

Not directly related to FPR, just general discussion:
Words of warning about the MAX Drive. There's been a bug with the Memory Manager since the MAX Drive first came out. If you use the Delete or Move commands on any save, it corrupts the memory device that command was used on, which can destroy all saves on your PS2 memory card. The way to make the card usable again is to highlight it when picking a device to use in the Memory Manager, and pressing Square to reformat the card.

There's a similar product on the market that costs less and doesn't have the bug, but expects you to provide your own USB drive, and is compatible with more USB drives. Code Breaker (version 7+) is the product, and it runs for $20 US.

I've used both AR MAX and Code Breaker 8.x, and I've had no problems with the Code Breaker, but have run into and helped dozens of people with the corruption problem of AR MAX, especially after Datel shut down the forums on their web site in August of 2004, which were flooded with complaints about the problem at the time. Datel's customer support for the device has also seemed to have greatly declined since then.

Code Breaker doesn't have a crush or uncrush option when dealing with a USB drive. It automatically crushes when you give it the comand to copy to a USB drive, and uncrushes when copying from the USB drive, eliminating the confusion AR MAX has when someone copies a crushed save from their USB drive to the memory card, wonders why they can't use it, and then gives a Delete command to try the process again, ending up corrupting their memory card, usually before having backed up all of the saves on it. I deal with this scenario weekly with AR MAX on various forums for the PS2.

AR MAX is labout $30 with a 16 MB USB drive, $40 with a 32 MB drive, and $50-60 for a 64 MB drive. I can get a 256-512 MB drive and a Code Breaker for that type of money, if I don't already have one for usual computer use.

With AR MAX, you have to download the entire code list library at once, even if there are games in it you don't want, or type in the codes you want manually. Code Breaker has a Day 1 file for every game in their library, which you can download to the USB drive and just add that one game to the code list.
Anybody have any direct experience with it?

[quote name='Halo05']Unfortunately, I can't get that to work. It was a feature on previous Firepro games but I think it was taken out of FPR. I can't remember if it worked on the import version or not (I don't think it did).
[/QUOTE]

If you look at one of the pics on the back of the box, it looks like that could be achieved. The edit head list is drawn up and there they are, in all of their glorious default colors. Either they took it out or there's something we don't know.

BTW, thanks of the step-by-step you presented.

[quote name='evilmax17']So it turns out that the much cheaper Codebreaker might actually do the trick.

http://www.firstadopter.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-229.html

Not directly related to FPR, just general discussion:

Anybody have any direct experience with it?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it would work, as I've read others have used it with no problems (if they follow directions). I would get it myself at that price, but I'm waiting for some saves to be converted to the easy as pie .psv Ps3 saves.

I've liked these FPC saves so far, because they contain Official Spike Edits, with Spike Stats and Spike Logic (mostly):

PhilParent's (already converted to .psv and the save I wanted most)
Myst. Kagura's
Tokerblue's
notanotherbob's

If they don't come to fruition in a couple of months, there are 64 Codebreakers left in stock at TRU.com and I'm sure they won't sell out that fast. I'd just convert them myself, then.

Speaking of M. Kagura, anybody remember this?

Link

vidwall1.jpg

caution!.jpg

caution1.jpg

talk5.jpg

What a great site and service he provided. The site alone sold me on buying my first gaming console (I did have an Odyssey² and C-64 growing up) just to play that one game.

Man...how slow is EB saver shipping?

I ordered this and KOF12 last Friday afternoon, it said it shipped on Saturday, and still no package. Perhaps because of the holiday weekday?

I wanted to spend some quality time with it today since I took the day off of work, oh well.

Hmm, I was well on my way to confirming that the Codebreaker works... but my PS2 effectively killed my thumb drive.

Like, dead. Most of the time the light no longer comes on, and when it *does* get recognized by my computer, it says it needs formatted, but it's write protected, so it can't.

So that's fun.

Just wanted to point out that this is finally showing up on GameStop's store locator. More expensive than it is at most online retailers, but good to know it should be at some B&M's now!

Played it a bit on PS3 (which doesn't look very good on an 80GB, by the way) and whooped some ass. Switched over to PS2 and didn't win a single grapple. Looks like I still have to get the timing down.

I won many of the grapples in my first match, but got trounced in many other matches. I ended up just simming matches between my first CAW and Andre.

She was a beast. I maxed out her height and weight, so he ended up picking her up maybe ONCE out of 3-4 matches.

I'm still having a blast with this game, the best $8.39 I've ever spent for any online deal , bar none.

Messed around with the CAW a bit. Why are there enough points to max out every stat and then some? I assume the points go elsewhere too, but I can't figure out where.

Points can go into your special skill (up to 35 I think), movement/climbing speed and things like arm and neck endurance.

bread's done
Back