Gran Turismo 5 - 1000+ Cars! - 1/6: GT5 XL Edition w/DLC & Spec 2.0 - 1/17 - $39.99

[quote name='laaj']Why is lack of DLC a good news? Most of us will be pissed when Forza 3 get cars like MP4-12C while GT5 is left in the dust. PD will have problems overcoming Microsoft's existing ties with McLaren even with DLC planned. :cry:[/QUOTE]
I posted why it's good news. 1,000 cars is enough, we don't need them dividing the online community, forcing us to pay for packs. They didn't completely rule it out so maybe you'll see the best cars made, but at least they're not going to go wild with it.

I'd pay for some DLC.. but it'd have to be things like color packs, maybe some new skins for the car.. etc.. maybe some kits... just decoration type things. Plus more tracks. I hope that they copy that replay feature from Forza 3... I liked that feature!

PD is really at an advantage since they're releasing their game after Forza3, so they can look at Forza and copy whatever good ideas that they have. Also, since the GT series is so strong they don't need the holiday rush to get sales. Games' gonna sale regardless of when its released. But also, by coming out later they can still get some Forza3 players to come over and try it out.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/12/announcing-the-gran-turismo-5-time-trial-challenge/

Something like a demo for GT5 will be out in two weeks that is something of a contest:
Hello, PlayStation Blog readers. Winter is fast approaching, but I’m excited to announce something that should fire you up and get you excited about what the new year holds: namely, Gran Turismo 5!

Starting December 17, PlayStation 3 users will be able to download the Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge from the PlayStation Store for a chance to win. Everyone who downloads it will get a chance to try out Gran Turismo 5’s brand-new physics engine by test driving the new Nissan 370Z on the road to winning an exciting grand prize package that would drive any GT fan wild.

The Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge features both a stock and a tuned version of the new Nissan 370Z, and includes two time trial events on a single track, one for each version of the car. Both cars drive and handle differently, each providing a unique challenge for newcomers to the GT series and long-time fans alike. And you’ll have to master both to have a chance at winning, because the grand prize will go to the player with the best combined time for both the stock and tuned Time Trial events.

What does being the best of the best earn you? The winner will receive round trip airfare and hotel accommodations for two (winner and guest) to attend the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race, a.k.a. the Indy 500, on May 30, 2010. It doesn’t end there, because the winner and guest also get a VIP package which includes two (2) all-access passes for Carb Day – which includes the final Indy 500 practice, pit stop competition, special concert festivities, special event car rides in the 2010 Indy 500 event vehicle, as well as all-access passes to the garage, pit area, and Victory Lane for pre- and post-race celebrations for the race and two (2) VIP suite tickets to enjoy the race. This is the experience of a lifetime for true racing fans.

The contest is open to US and Canada residents, with an independent contest for each country. That means that there will actually be two grand prize winners: one for the US and one for Canada. And I’m sure there will be some friendly rivalry to see which country has the fastest racers, in true Gran Turismo spirit. You just have to be 18 years old or older to win because much of the cool VIP experience the winner will be treated to require the participants to be 18 for safety reasons.

In the event of a tie of combined Time Trial lap times, the player with the fastest stock non-tuned Time Trial lap will be deemed the winner. In addition, five runner-ups in the US and five in Canada will receive a voucher to download Gran Turismo for PSP.

You’ll have plenty of time to study Gran Turismo 5 and go for your best possible time, because the Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge will run through 5PM PST on January 25, 2010. After January 25 you won’t be able to download the game from PSN, but those who already have it will be able to continue to play it past the contest end date. Click here for official rules for the US.

So mark December 17 on your calendar for your chance to test your driving skills in the Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge. Don’t forget to look for more Gran Turismo 5 exciting news in the coming weeks and months on the newly re-designed official Gran Turismo website.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009...ismo-5-time-trial-challenge-starts-this-week/

More info on what's in the demo:
Hello, PlayStation.Blog readers and GT fans. Two weeks ago we announced the Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge, and I’m here to give you a breakdown of what to expect when the demo hits PSN this coming Thursday.

This demo was specifically designed for the GT5 Time Trial Challenge to challenge racing fans to master every straight-away, corner and bump of the track. We want to use this demo to find out who are the best racers in both the US and Canada. We also created this demo to showcase the realism of the brand new physics engine which is constantly improving before GT5 releases.

As Gran Turismo fans know, our GT games let you select between standard or professional driving physics and adjust a multitude of driving assists, but to make this a real “challenge” for all you racing fans, the GT5 demo has professional driving physics, and many of the assists are disabled. But don’t worry. Even if this demo seems challenging, you’ll be able to turn on some of those extra assists and enjoy GT5’s 950+ cars, its new and improved online racing, and several other features we have yet to disclose when it comes out.

One thing you may have been wondering since the announcement two weeks ago is which track you’ll be competing on. Well, as suggested by the prizes, you’ll be racing on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway course, on a special road course layout of this historic track, stunningly re-created as only the masters at Polyphony Digital can. And as you can tell from the screenshots (visit the official GT website for the full gallery), it looks gorgeous. And it’s fitting that the competition is set on Indy, because the fastest US player and fastest Canadian player will win VIP packages to the 2010 Indianapolis 500 next May.

There will be two time trial events available when you boot up the demo, both featuring the Nissan 370Z. One event will put you behind the wheel of the car in its stock configuration, and the other lets you drive a tuned version with reduced weight, tires with more grip, and more aerodynamic body parts. The tuned version drives and handles a little better, so you’ll want to start with it to get a feel for the game and to learn the track. When you’re ready, take the stock 370Z for a spin, but be careful to watch your throttle or you really will be going for a “spin.”

And of course the Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge is your entry method for a chance to win round trip airfare and hotel accommodations for two (winner and guest) to attend the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race, a.k.a. the Indy 500, in May. Each winner also gets a VIP package that includes two all-access passes for Carb Day (final Indy 500 practice, pit stop competition, special concert festivities, special event car rides in the 2010 Indy 500 event vehicle), all-access passes to the garage, pit area, and Victory Lane for pre and post-race celebrations for the race, and two VIP suite tickets to enjoy the race. The fastest players from both the US and Canada will represent their fellow GT fans at this exciting historic race. That’s a pretty sweet way to spend a weekend.

That’s about it. I look forward to seeing you all competing for that top spot down to the wire on January 25. Look for me competing against your time, if I make the top tier. My PSN ID is skebe. Good luck!
They replied to a comment that the demo is only about 250 MB, so it won't take up that much space.

Demo up now in Japan. 201mb. English.

If you want to actually try to qualify and win with your laptime, probably want to use the American demo tomorrow.

I downloaded the Japanese version (couldn't wait) and even with a controller it was a blast. Nothing like Forza 3, which is nice because if I wanted to play Forza 3...I'd buy it and play it. No damage is a bit disappointing but this isn't even really a full demo, just a competition so it makes sense.

Oh, and the game looks amazing. Seriously, hands-down the best lighting I've seen on a console EVAR!

[quote name='dallow']I think the US demo goes up at 3AM Central actually. So about an hour and half from now.[/QUOTE]

Usually, demos and other items get added when the weekly PSN update goes through, so I think we'll have to wait a while.

[quote name='Brownjohn']Usually, demos and other items get added when the weekly PSN update goes through, so I think we'll have to wait a while.[/QUOTE]
I know, it's not always the case.
And the Euro GT5 demo/trials went up at that specific time, well before their regular update.

Just though it would be for US too. Looks like that isn't the case.
Later today though guys!

Well, hmm... to avoid being called a "troll" I'll just say it's better than gt5p for sure. There are a lot of things that have improved, but I guess I have to get used to the game and controller. Me being Forza whore not helping...

[quote name='Halo05']Well, probably not for the Socom add on...[/QUOTE]

lol

I would have liked to of seen damage on, but at least I know it's in the game. I did notice some a few instances of the framerate dropping, but it was less than a second and didn't really affect my laptime. Considering this is a demo, I'm pretty sure it hasn't received as much polish as the game itself :)

So the demo's pretty good. Driving the unmodified 370z reminded me of my Gran Turismo 2 days and the terrifying Supra RZ I used to battle against my friends with. I tend to play my racing games with the default settings. I wonder if GT5 is going to have the assists off and normal tires on the cars as a default.

This demo would've been a lot better if they gave you the ability to turn the car... WTF.
The problem was my usb wheel was attached to the system even though it was off & not even plugged in electrically. :bomb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I like the idea of running a contest with the demo, that's really cool.

However, I don't know if it's because I've been playing Forza 3 a lot but I couldn't get into it that much.
Probably also has to do with the PS3 controller not being very comfortable for me.

[quote name='porieux']Hmm, I like the idea of running a contest with the demo, that's really cool.

However, I don't know if it's because I've been playing Forza 3 a lot but I couldn't get into it that much.
Probably also has to do with the PS3 controller not being very comfortable for me.[/QUOTE]
Adjust the controller settings so that L2 & R2 are break/gas with real triggers and it's excellent control. Tough though with the squirly car.

[quote name='J7.']Adjust the controller settings so that L2 & R2 are break/gas with real triggers and it's excellent control. Tough though with the squirly car.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I did do that and it was an improvement. No idea why that wasn't the default.

The controller feels a bit too small for my hands though or something, I don't know. I do have large hands I guess.

Anyone know how much the final game will resemble this demo (besides the obvious things like number of cars/tracks/etc.)? The graphics looked like they were ripped from Prologue though the cars controlled very realistically.

So, what's everyone's best times in the demo? I used the modified car and was able to get 1:45:858 in my third lap, which didn't improve after a couple more laps, and I quit for the night.

Good demo. Game still looks good. Using the professional physics rather than standard, so of course its harder to drive. My overall rank is under 1500 for now in the demo I think.

[quote name='Brownjohn']So, what's everyone's best times in the demo? I used the modified car and was able to get 1:45:858 in my third lap, which didn't improve after a couple more laps, and I quit for the night.[/QUOTE]
Not too great myself, best lap is like 1:44:1XX I think. I don't like the type of driving style the car has, even though it does seem realistic. I think I can probably get under 1:40:000 if I really put some effort and time into it, but I don't enjoy that much more when I can play something with story or GT5P with other cars.

1:38:807 using a controller...*might* be able to shave off a few tenths but without a wheel, the analog sticks snap the car around too much. Really looking forward to getting a wheel for this game, hopefully the G25 is around $150 by next summer.

Best time I was able to get on this game is 1'40.341 which puts me at 3552nd using the controller.

EDIT: Just played it again and got 1'40.199, position 3224th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Played the demo last night for the first time. I have both a 360 and a PS3 and have no real allegiance to either. That said, I can't for the life of me see why folks are so excited about GT5. I know it is more on the sim side of things but it just isn't fun for me. Would much rather play Forza or Grid.

Isn't Forza suppose to be just as much a sim? I kind of wish I had my own xbox to play that just because I'm getting tired of waiting so long for GT5. I have GT5 prologue and I felt it played fine. The demo wasn't fun at all. The 350 oversteered like crazy for me. I could probably get better and improve upon my time which was very horrible. I can see those who see this as their first taste of the series and getting turn off of it because of the single car represented in the demo.

I think this demo was great except for no damage and grass wasn't slippery enough. Yes your lap doesn't count when you touch the grass but there was plenty of grip there. That's not very realistic.

Forza was doing a great many things before GT has. Damage modelling, custom paint jobs, and Ferraris all spring immediately to mind.

That said, GT did the whole, "Shit ton of real cars in a sim game on a console" first so I'd say it's a wash.

I'm psyched for GT5 but if it doesn't have a single player mode where you start with ~10000 bucks, buy a cheap-ass car and go around making money in little races, I'll probably skip it.

Gran Turismo on PSP could (barely) get by without such a mode, I won't give a pass on the main game.

[quote name='Halo05']I'm psyched for GT5 but if it doesn't have a single player mode where you start with ~10000 bucks, buy a cheap-ass car and go around making money in little races, I'll probably skip it.[/QUOTE]
Its going to have Simulation/Career mode. It wouldn't be Gran Turismo 5 if it didn't have it.

[quote name='Danil ACE']I found it stupid that you can only turn off traction control on the tuned 370Z, but the untuned one is locked to 7.[/QUOTE]

You can turn it off if using a wheel, my best time tuned TC off/manual is a 1'38.5xx...i forget exactly right now. Btw im using a controller, but ive noticed alot of people have wheels on the leaderboards.

Some new info coming in the official playstation mag:

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2010/01/05/upcoming-magazine-reveals-gran-turismo-5-jackpot/
- Over 1,000 vehicles
- All vehicles have modeled cockpits (170 premium cars will have interior damage modeling)
- All vehicles will have both physical and mechanical damage modeling
- Indy cars and tracks are included
- Nascar cars and tracks are included
- Up to 16 players online
- High-definition video uploads directly to YouTube
- Multi-display rendering
- Head-tracking
- Full weather and night racing on all tracks
- Night/Day cycle on all tracks

interior damage has me interested. does that mean windows and doors will get busted up when in cockpit view??? sounds cool.

GT5 could be coming out sooner than we thought as it's listed with a 2/2 release date on Gamefly, whereas the other Sony games that we don't have dates for (Heavy Rain, ModNation Racers) are listed with 2/28 release dates.

bread's done
Back