Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='eastx']I am insulted, Jaysonguy. Maybe that's how people who joined in 2009 and have no avatar image roll, but not me. You can go to the back of the line.[/QUOTE]
Don't be insulted, I think this is a great idea for the set sales like holidays, midweek, and weekends.

The rest of the deals that pop up here and there? Those need their own threads

[quote name='cheesycrouton']Yes, do exactly as you speculated. Buy as gift and enter your email addresss. Then your son can click the hyperlink while he is logged into steam. Steam will popup a window with a button that says, "Open my gift." Click this button, and it will tie the game to his account.[/QUOTE]

Beautiful, thank you!

[quote name='Jaysonguy']I don't like the idea of one dedicated Steam thread

The deals are much too free form to make this useful besides set sales like holiday and summer sales.

There's been sales that are only up a few hours (or under) and I can't see the thread creator quitting everything else in his life so he can keep it up to date to make it worth it.[/QUOTE]

Granted there are some sales that only last a few hours, but they have been very few and far between. Most sales last 2-3 days to a week and EastX is committed enough to update the OP/thread title during that time.

Also, the point behind having one Steam deals thread is to reduce the clutter it creates when there are TONS of them going on. There have been weeks where there are 5+ deals and each one got its own thread created sort of bloating up the main deals page. With a dedicated Steam thread, that (hopefully) won't happen.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Granted there are some sales that only last a few hours, but they have been very few and far between. Most sales last 2-3 days to a week and EastX is committed enough to update the OP/thread title during that time.

Also, the point behind having one Steam deals thread is to reduce the clutter it creates when there are TONS of them going on. There have been weeks where there are 5+ deals and each one got its own thread created sort of bloating up the main deals page. With a dedicated Steam thread, that (hopefully) won't happen.[/QUOTE]
I agree there, for set sales that last this is awesome.

The only problem I see are the quick sales

Not to be ungrateful, but I agree with Jaysonguy. The thread is well done and it has lots of great info, but it's already missing a deal that started yesterday (Super Meat Boy).

A single thread for B&M deals is probably reasonable because at best they're updated once a week. Steam deals happen all week long - sometimes on schedule and sometimes not. Sometimes just for a few hours. Not to mention the epic length of past holiday and summer sale threads would just make this one a mess.

If we really needed one place to put Steam deals, wouldn't it be better to have a Steam Deals forum? That way all deals can be viewed easily as individual threads? The beauty of a deals forum is that things get posted fast and we don't have to wait for someone to get around to updating. And honestly, there really aren't an unreasonable amount of threads to wade through to find deals. I check it once a day at least and there are usually no more than one to two pages of new posts/threads. Being able to view the specific, descriptive deal from the thread title makes viewing the index a snap.

So, again, it's very nice but I prefer one thread/one deal or event (i.e. weekend sales, weeklong sales, holiday sales).

[quote name='hal']Not to be ungrateful, but I agree with Jaysonguy. The thread is well done and it has lots of great info, but it's already missing a deal that started yesterday (Super Meat Boy).

A single thread for B&M deals is probably reasonable because at best they're updated once a week. Steam deals happen all week long - sometimes on schedule and sometimes not. Sometimes just for a few hours. Not to mention the epic length of past holiday and summer sale threads would just make this one a mess.

If we really needed one place to put Steam deals, wouldn't it be better to have a Steam Deals forum? That way all deals can be viewed easily as individual threads? The beauty of a deals forum is that things get posted fast and we don't have to wait for someone to get around to updating. And honestly, there really aren't an unreasonable amount of threads to wade through to find deals. I check it once a day at least and there are usually no more than one to two pages of new posts/threads. Being able to view the specific, descriptive deal from the thread title makes viewing the index a snap.

So, again, it's very nice but I prefer one thread/one deal or event (i.e. weekend sales, weeklong sales, holiday sales).[/QUOTE]

Well said, and I agree on all counts.

If you don't enjoy this thread, then don't use it. I'll update it as often as I can, and hopefully that will be helpful to people. As for contributing deals to the thread, you can do it much more constructively. If I miss something, I miss something. The negativity thing might work to discourage newbies, but this thread moves forward.

[quote name='eastx']If you don't enjoy this thread, then don't use it. I'll update it as often as I can, and hopefully that will be helpful to people. As for contributing deals to the thread, you can do it much more constructively. If I miss something, I miss something. The negativity thing might work to discourage newbies, but this thread moves forward.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I like having one post I can check for the latest Steam BF deals, and if someone else finds a deal before it gets posted here, go ahead and post it here. I've already subscribed to this thread so I'll get notified of these updates, and I'm sure the OP on this thread will be updated in a timely manner so it will be easy to get an overview of the deals by looking at the first post.

[quote name='eastx']If you don't enjoy this thread, then don't use it. I'll update it as often as I can, and hopefully that will be helpful to people. As for contributing deals to the thread, you can do it much more constructively. If I miss something, I miss something. The negativity thing might work to discourage newbies, but this thread moves forward.[/QUOTE]

I have nothing bad to say. From what I can tell, you've done a very competent job of updating the PSN 15th Anniversary Sale thread, so I see no reason why you will not be able to do the same here.

Reddjoey's Live DoTW thread is fantastic not only because the OP has a commitment to updating and finding out about the deals when he can, but once the thread has concrete information on any of the deals, this gets updated fairly rapidly. I view Steam as being superior to Microsoft's XBOX Live when it comes to the subject of value and deals (they have bi-weekly sales as opposed to the general weekly sales of Live DoTW), so that may make it more difficult to update as often. But I'm sure you'll be fine.

Hell, as long as you're able to update the majority of the Daily Deals for Steam's Christmas sale, you will have done a fine service, eastx. Thank you in advance for your intentions. :)

How are the people that have a different opinion being negative or giving people a hard time? By simply having a different opinion? Give me a break. So far, people have gone out of their way to be positive in their differing opinion. Those that are defending it are the ones being difficult.

FYI - I like the idea of the thread, so it is not that I even agree with those.

I like the idea of having a master Steam thread, but I do hope that individual deals will still get their own thread as they present themselves. I agree with those that said the whole point of a deals forum is so that you don't have to wait for someone to update. Whenever a new Steam deal hits its always a race to see who's going to post it first on CAG, and I think that system works extremely well.

However, having a master list is also nice. I just hope that the master thread's existence doesn't discourage prospective deal-posters from creating a new thread as soon as a new deal hits.

[quote name='Yanksfan']How are the people that have a different opinion being negative or giving people a hard time? By simply having a different opinion? Give me a break. So far, people have gone out of their way to be positive in their differing opinion. Those that are defending it are the ones being difficult.
[/QUOTE]

The pc forum is one of the only places on this site that is still generally good spirited and positive.

Heh man I saw what was on the front page and since it was right below a message about Steams black friday I thought it was meant to be a preview of what games were going to be on sale. I was going to go off the deep end that their sales were a bunch of meh games for $1 off each ;)

I don't think there's anything in particular I'm going to be looking for from this sale at the moment, but they always manage to get me with something. Even when it's a game I might own for another console, but Steam offers it at a low enough price that I will add it to my Steam library. I'm pretty sure I have Steam games on my account that I have never even installed yet.

[quote name='dudejeff22']I like the idea of having a master Steam thread, but I do hope that individual deals will still get their own thread as they present themselves. I agree with those that said the whole point of a deals forum is so that you don't have to wait for someone to update. Whenever a new Steam deal hits its always a race to see who's going to post it first on CAG, and I think that system works extremely well.

However, having a master list is also nice. I just hope that the master thread's existence doesn't discourage prospective deal-posters from creating a new thread as soon as a new deal hits.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. It's definitely nice to have everything compiled in one place, but since it seems to happen with every other thing that has a dedicated deals thread, people will start complaining about others making a new thread for a deal instead of posting it in the dedicated thread. A thread like this is going to be best for the big sale events Steam has a couple times a year, however deals should still be posted separately at other times, especially when it is a sale lasting for only a couple hours. It's much more unlikely that a deal will be seen if it's buried in a massive thread somewhere and the OP hasn't had a chance to update the first post than if a new thread is made.

[quote name='eastx']If you don't enjoy this thread, then don't use it. I'll update it as often as I can, and hopefully that will be helpful to people. As for contributing deals to the thread, you can do it much more constructively. If I miss something, I miss something. The negativity thing might work to discourage newbies, but this thread moves forward.[/quote]
Offering a differing opinion or constructive criticism to this thread does not mean someone is being negative. You can't just paint anyone disagreeing with you as being negative.

You have a lot of information in this thread and it's presented very cleanly, you obviously spent some time on this and it shows. I'm not trying to tear you down or anything, I just don't feel that this should be the end all be all of Steam threads except for their big sale events and maybe the preorder deals (since those tend to go on for long periods of time). In those cases, it will be extremely useful.

[quote name='volt1up']Im hoping for that too. Maybe Dec 3rd when Borderlands comes to Mac? I hope?[/QUOTE]

I saw a picture posted on the Steam forums of a supposed Steam registry that lists upcoming games to Steam as well as current games. Including, six separate listings for Borderlands. I'm not sure if I can post the pic on CAG though, and anyone who checks the Steam forums has probably seen the picture.

So, we'll see in the next few days.

Deus Ex Collection lists this as "Thanksgiving Sale - Wednesday" so there's more to come.

edit: Lol, apparently all Steam threads will be forcibly assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Looks I will be buying Deus Ex Collection tonight. While I never really was a fan of Deus Ex 2, Deus Ex is probably one of my top 2 favorite shooters of all time. Easily worth my $5.

That's a great deal on Deus Ex collection. Not sure if it'd be worth waiting for borderlands game of the year to potentially go on sale or not.

Yeah I'd go in on Deus Ex 8 pack as well - not sure how to facilitate all that though. I can buy and gift to folks, right? Then what - everyone would paypal me?

EDIT: Wait.... they don't seem to offer the collection as a gift pack. that stinks.

[quote name='midloo']Yeah I'd go in on Deus Ex 8 pack as well - not sure how to facilitate all that though. I can buy and gift to folks, right? Then what - everyone would paypal me?

EDIT: Wait.... they don't seem to offer the collection as a gift pack. that stinks.[/QUOTE]

Yea it's only the original available in the 8 pack. However, it's worth noting that buying the two games seperately is the same price (actually $.01 cheaper) as buying them together.

For 7.50 I highly recommend Alpha Protocol. It was surprisingly enjoyable and I couldn't put it down from start to finish, and that's extremely rare for me.

[quote name='Geello']For 7.50 I highly recommend Alpha Protocol. It was surprisingly enjoyable and I couldn't put it down from start to finish, and that's extremely rare for me.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, rented it on 360 and was surprised how good it was. Definitely going to pick this up even if it doesn't have pad support, that's how much I loved it :D

[quote name='killerthrust']im down to splitting a Borderlands 6 pack if any one is doing that. 6.67 each[/QUOTE]
I'm interested!

[quote name='killerthrust']im down to splitting a Borderlands 6 pack if any one is doing that. 6.67 each[/QUOTE]

Count me in for 1 Borderlands at $6.67

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Count me in for 1 Borderlands at $6.67[/QUOTE]

Well we are halfway there, need 3 more. Who else is up for this deal?

[quote name='TLPRIME']So only the daily deals for the sale this year? Last year it seemed like everything was on sale, daily deal or not.[/QUOTE]

Wait a day or two... :applause:

[quote name='Geello']For 7.50 I highly recommend Alpha Protocol. It was surprisingly enjoyable and I couldn't put it down from start to finish, and that's extremely rare for me.[/QUOTE]

was gonna go for it but saw the unilock activation limit and that killed it for me.
maybe will rent it for the 360 instead

so many on the store its laggy, everyone must have been setting arond waiting for today, lol. Anyone doing the Half life 10 pack? Im in if you are PM me.

[quote name='Muitabui']was gonna go for it but saw the unilock activation limit and that killed it for me.
maybe will rent it for the 360 instead[/QUOTE]

A shame. I was going to pick it up, too, just for the plot and decision making, but screw DRM.

EDIT: Thanks for the link, maybe I will pick it up after all.

[quote name='BitLooter']I'm in on the 6-pack. Been waiting for Borderlands to go on sale on Steam.[/QUOTE]

So that's 4 ppl... c'mon folks, we only need 2 more :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back