Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this sale the same sale as the holiday sale everyone kept talking about this past year? Or does that come around Christmas?

[quote name='Twoje']Is this sale the same sale as the holiday sale everyone kept talking about this past year? Or does that come around Christmas?[/QUOTE]

There is one around Christmas as well, it will probably be bigger than this one.

[quote name='ryanhaggan']anyone in for borderlands and/or half life 2? Let me know as well[/QUOTE]

Borderlands:

1) Lord Jezo
2) ryanhaggan
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

[quote name='radioactivez0r']I bought AP on clearance at Target for $12.50, but I can't find my receipt to take it back :[ Oh well.[/QUOTE]

can return with credit card if purchased with one (or debit). Save that 5 bucks!

[quote name='evilmrhenry']1) Lord Jezo
2) ryanhaggan
3) jester55
4) evilmrhenry
5)
6)[/QUOTE]

Whoops, I screwed up, it's only 6.

So we only need two more.

[quote name='cruznik71450']How can I go in on something? Because I would really like to get in on Borderlands,Deus Ex, or Half-Life 2.[/QUOTE]
Basically you PM the person that is setting it up, they get the pack, you pay pal them the money, you then get your copy at the reduced price, and enjoy :D

My two cents on the sale items:

Shank: One of the coolest, best beat-em-ups of the modern generation. Just satisfying, fun, great move-sets, good bosses, and a fun (Sadly, offline only) coop adventure with unique levels and good coop bosses. $10.04 is a decent price for it. Just to put it into perspective, Shank and Scott Pilgrim came out the same day, and of the two, I consider Shank the longer lasting, better one and SP the throw-away cash in.

Note Shank requires you activate with EA servers to play it though, which is the only reason I have not double-dipped on it.

Prototype: Solid PC port. Not A+ quality, but it's still definitely functional and good. Prototype itself is quite the game, a pseudo-sequel to Hulk:Ultimate Destruction, giving you ridiculous powers of destruction in open world New York and pitting you against military and zombies alike. Absorb military dudes to become them for light stealth elements, too. I really like it though it fizzles out as late-game combat becomes a bit of a wankfest and enemy variety just never shows up. Still, I enjoyed it a lot. $15 is probably still a bit much at this stage of the game.

Alpha Protocol: Pretty much the entire internets scuttlebutt about this one is wrong. The plot is awful, switching between fantastical pulp and gritty melodrama at the drop of a hat and never really forming a coherent theme OR plot. The choices are varied, but still really only serve as a front end to the various missions. The actual gameplay is basically a marriage of Syphon Filter and RPGs, not unlike Mass Effect's Gears of War + RPG style. Unfortunately, the level design gets watered down along with the action so you end up with a game that's just not worth replaying, which kinda leaves the choices as a gimmick.

On the plus side, it's worth one playthrough at least. The gameplay is still surprisingly solid. The boss fights are actually quite well done for BOTH genres its running, the big boss of the Russian chapter is definitely a hoot. $7.50 is the right price for the game. Sadly, 3rd party activation based DRM is there too.

Just remember, you need a weapon specialization and you probably want a stealth specialization too. Drop one point into tech so that you can at least bypass some harder hacking minigames with your otherwise utterly useless EMP consumables. Other than that, you can pretty much see what is worthwhile. Even a melee specialization is useful for certain fights but you need to be good with a gun for some of the later boss fights.

Also, checkpoint only saving, which blows horribly. Combine that with a vague Mass Effect style dialogue wheel and time-limit conversations and it's often hard to figure out what each option actually means and since your character is often a complete douche if you stray from the friendly options, you generally are penalized heavily for experimenting.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']I bought AP on clearance at Target for $12.50, but I can't find my receipt to take it back :[ Oh well.[/QUOTE]

And to think, I almost opened it this past week. Haha. I totally went and found the receipt. (Gotta love Target's 90 day return.) Hopefully, there'll be some great deals tomorrow for the actual holiday and on Friday for the actual BF.

$5 during these Steam sales can get you a whole game worth buying, so I think it's worth the hassle. I'm always checking Target's clearance anyway, so it's not like it's a special trip.

[quote name='Lord Jezo']Whoops, I screwed up, it's only 6.

So we only need two more.[/QUOTE]

Count me in for a copy of Borderlands

[quote name='evilmrhenry']1) Lord Jezo
2) ryanhaggan
3) jester55
4) evilmrhenry
5)kemical
6)SuperSonic128[/QUOTE]

Sarah, sorry! Supersonic sent a PM a few minutes before you replied.

I will be sending out PMs to everyone now, you are next in line if someone bails. I'll buy the 6 pack now and send out the gifts as the payments come in,

[quote name='Lord Jezo']Sarah, sorry! Supersonic sent a PM a few minutes before you replied.

I will be sending out PMs to everyone now, you are next in line if someone bails. I'll buy the 6 pack now and send out the gifts as the payments come in,[/QUOTE]

If anyone gives you trouble about paying let me know. I'll be happy to take there space.

To the other mans, PMs sent, copies will be emailed once Paypal goes through. Just make sure you let me know who is sending me the money.

New copies of Prototype have been hovering around $10 on Amazon Marketplace for the past couple months, so not much of a deal there.

[quote name='V878']New copies of Prototype have been hovering around $10 on Amazon Marketplace for the past couple months, so not much of a deal there.[/QUOTE]

But this is steam...And it's cheaper.

EDIT: Never mind. was thinking of alpha protocol...

Last edited by a moderator:
Alpha Protocol and Borderlands are on OnLive. I'm going to play the Alpha Protocol trial to see if I like it. This is the kind of stuff that I feel OnLive is useful for to PC Gamers.

[quote name='iRent']But this is steam...And it's cheaper.[/QUOTE]

It's $15 on Steam, not sure how that's cheaper than $10.

[quote name='V878']It's $15 on Steam, not sure how that's cheaper than $10.[/QUOTE]

Oh crap lol. Nevermind. I brain-farted and had Alpha Protocol in my head.

[quote name='iRent']Oh crap lol. Nevermind. I brain-farted and had Alpha Protocol in my head.[/QUOTE]

Haha no worries. Some reason I confuse those 2 names as well, not really sure why though since they're pretty different games.

[quote name='V878']Haha no worries. Some reason I confuse those 2 names as well, not really sure why though since they're pretty different games.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure I'm going to bite on Alpha Protocol so I was thinking of that...Plus the P...Protocol->Prototype

[quote name='crupp']Starting another Borderlands 6 Pack. PM or post me to get in.

1) Me
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)[/QUOTE]

Count me in, and if anyone is doing an Half life one please tell me, I long time ago

Howdy, folks. Allow me to spoil some of the surprises coming up in the rest of this week's sales.

There will be more large packs (like today's HL2 10-pack/Borderlands 6-pack/RUSE 6-pack/Deus Ex 8-pack) every day until the 29th. I'm not sure the exact days that each will happen, or what the prices will be, but here's what the games will be, and the quantities of the packs, so y'all can start to do some basic planning on group-buys:

- Aliens vs Predator (2010) 6-pack
- Audiosurf 12-pack
- Braid 10-pack
- Counter-Strike: Source 6-pack
- Defense Grid: The Awakening 10-pack
- Empire: Total War 6-pack
- Freedom Force 10-pack
- Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City 6-pack
- Just Cause 2 8-pack
- Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West 10-pack
- Left 4 Dead 2 6-pack
- Mount & Blade: Warband 6-pack
- Nyxquest: Kindred Spirits 10-pack
- Osmos 12-pack
- Portal 6-pack
- Puzzle Quest 2 10-pack
- Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale 8 pack
- Red Faction: Guerrilla 8-pack
- Splinter Cell: Conviction 6-pack
- Trine 8-pack
- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising 8-pack
- World of Goo 12-pack

Also, there will be more packs of indie games similar to today's Indie Energy Pack. 5 game per pack, on massive discount, one day only. Again, I don't know the daily order these will come in, or exactly what the discount will be, but, here's what the names and contents of the packs will be:

- Indie Air Pack: Altitude, DogFighter, Flotilla, Gratuitous Space Battles, Plain Sight
- Indie Clever Pack: Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time, Eufloria, Iron Grip: Warlord, VVVVVV, World of Goo
- Indie Pulse Pack: Audiosurf, Beat Hazard, Bit Trip Beat, The Polynomial, Rhythm Zone
- Indie Puzzle Pack: Cogs, Droplitz, Puzzle Dimension, Shatter, Tidalis
- Indie Story Pack: And Yet It Moves, Gish, Puzzle Agent, Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale, Jolly Rover

And of course, there will be more individual games on Daily Deals every day, but I don't have any info on what those will be. You'll just have to wait and see! Also, disclaimer: if any of this info is inaccurate, then oh well.

Nothing for me today, but I love Steam sales. The gift pack idea rocks.

Add Vampire Bloodlines to make up for the Halloween omission and we're all good. ;)

[quote name='Guerrilla']Nothing for me today, but I love Steam sales. The gift pack idea rocks.

Add Vampire Bloodlines to make up for the Halloween omission and we're all good. ;)[/QUOTE]

This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back