The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks OP, I bought:
Dante's Inferno Divine edition (PS3)- 9.99
White Knight Chronicles (PS3)- 4.99= Free

$10.81 total and both games were complete manual and case.

[quote name='doubledown']Yeah, all this bitching made my comment about GIFT CARDS be missed. When did Blockbuster stop accepting them?[/QUOTE]

When they filed for bankruptcy I believe. I remember Hawaiiboy talking about it a while back.

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']STFU everyone bitching about flipping and let's just post more finds please.[/QUOTE]

How about lack of finds:

I've completely struck out on

UFC 2010
EA MMA
:ps3: Ghost Recon A.W. 2

[quote name='doubledown']Yeah, all this bitching made my comment about GIFT CARDS be missed. When did Blockbuster stop accepting them?[/QUOTE]

Around april 8 or sometime around there. I can't remember the exact day but it was mentioned in the old blockbuster thread i believe.

[quote name='knightsdwn']When they filed for bankruptcy I believe. I remember Hawaiiboy talking about it a while back.[/QUOTE]

Sucks....I believe I only had $20 or so left, so I'm not that upset, but still...that is annoying. The employee said they SHOULD be back in July maybe.

:rofl:

What I find funniest about the flipping/anti flipping debate is that.....neither side can SHUT THEIR PIEHOLES and just let the other side do what they will.

My comment on this: Stores don't give a flying fuck WHO buys up all of their stock, as long as they get the cash for those items they sold.

Is it wrong for people to buy up 20-30 or more games just to dump them somewhere else? Eh. It's making money/credit that they will use for other purposes(like buying other games/items).

When I was in BBV on the first day of this sale, aside from the guys from NC buying up 30+ games in front of me there were TWO people in the store: me and the manager helping the guys buying the games.

Aside from maybe weekends, you only see about 3-5 people on average in the local BBV stores and most of them are milling around the movie rental shelves.

This sale isn't very well advertised and I don't think the normal shnook consumers really give a rat's ass or equate BBV with a place to buy games from. So the only people possibly being 'hurt' by people hoarding everything are the people who wait till the last day of the sale to go in and expect to find a cornucopia of good shit to still pick from and to me honestly those procrastinators can (insert colorful euphemism here).

Hoping to find Dirt and Dirt 2 this weekend. Have you guys seen many copies of these?

I won't be surprised if the flip brigade came through and spoiled my chances. I seem to always get shafted by flippers, most notably a guy buying up 6 clearance ping pong tables at Target for 75% off 30 minutes before I showed up to buy one for my garage. Later that week I spotted his post on Craigslist, selling the tables for MSRP. "Six available!" :(

Edit: Just called the closest store to me and he gave me bad news. Nothing in the metro area but one copy of Dirt, and it's a long-ass drive. Oh well!

Recently. I bought a bunch of blu-rays in their recent sale and some lady in the store tried to pay with a gift card and was told they couldn't accept them currently. I think they have been purchased by netflix but the employee mentioned they may be able to accept them again in the future although that's probably just speculation.

[quote name='Naruto Uzumaki']Thanks OP, I bought:
Dante's Inferno Divine edition (PS3)- 9.99
White Knight Chronicles (PS3)- 4.99= Free

$10.81 total and both games were complete manual and case.[/QUOTE]

White knight for $4.99 ? are you sure it wasnt $14.99 like I keep seeing?

Picked up pristine copies of (all ps3):
bioshock 9.99
bioshock 2 9.99
ridge racer 7 9.99
ratchet and clank tfd 9.99

also, I suspect bb _may_ have overbought a tad on fallout nv. yowza.

[quote name='Derrick1979']White knight for $4.99 ? are you sure it wasnt $14.99 like I keep seeing?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I noticed that too. If it were 14.99 tho then it wouldnt have been the free one.

[quote name='handsomepete']Picked up pristine copies of (all ps3):
bioshock 9.99
bioshock 2 9.99
ridge racer 7 9.99
ratchet and clank tfd 9.99

also, I suspect bb _may_ have overbought a tad on fallout nv. yowza.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy had to unload their copies somehow. Its funny. Alot of those FONVs came from Gamestop, went to Best Buy, probably sold to BBV, and now are being traded back into Gamestop.

[quote name='bsmiff']Hoping to find Dirt and Dirt 2 this weekend. Have you guys seen many copies of these?

I won't be surprised if the flip brigade came through and spoiled my chances. I seem to always get shafted by flippers, most notably a guy buying up 6 clearance ping pong tables at Target for 75% off 30 minutes before I showed up to buy one for my garage. Later that week I spotted his post on Craigslist, selling the tables for MSRP. "Six available!" :(

Edit: Just called the closest store to me and he gave me bad news. Nothing in the metro area but one copy of Dirt, and it's a long-ass drive. Oh well![/QUOTE]

I saw dirt for 360 at one store.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:rofl:

So the only people possibly being 'hurt' by people hoarding everything are the people who wait till the last day of the sale to go in and expect to find a cornucopia of good shit to still pick from and to me honestly those procrastinators can (insert colorful euphemism here).[/QUOTE]

Thank you.
The “flipping/anti-flipping debate” is BS. If you wanted something, get there earlier, whether you wanted 100 games to flip to Gamestop for credit, or you want to play them yourself.
I have two stores in my area. I knew I’d be able to hit one within an hour of opening, the other, not till after work. Knowing that the good stuff would be gone by then, I chose carefully which store to hit, by staking them out the night before. I had a better chance of success with store A, but I knew damn well that there was a very good chance that store B would be empty by the time I got there, which it was. Had I got there a half hour earlier, I could have scored at both. I got so many great games at store A, I didn’t really care.
I plan on playing through all of the games I bought, with the exceptions of the games I bought for others.
But I ain’t on no high horse. I flipped five copies of Fallout NV (2 PS3, 3 360) to Best Buy, back when they were giving $25 apiece for them. This sale I bought one to finally play it.
The argument is tired. What somebody does with something they buy is their business. I like making jokes about El Hoardo too, but if I want something really bad, I get there before him. Buncha whining in this thread.

Raided my local BBV a couple of times in the last 2 days and snagged:

Singularity (PS3)
Fallout: NV (PS3)
Enslaved (360)
Risen (360)
Kingdom Under Fire (360)
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom (Wii)

...all for $40. Flipping a few on Goozex and keeping the rest - hell of an awesome deal.

Thanks for the heads up!

[quote name='JKSonic']Gamestop has a 40% extra coupon right now, as well as a "trade in 3 get $10 deal".

Say you buy 4 NV's, you spend essentially $30. 4 x 8 is $32 but add in the extra $10 and it's $42. Or, add in the extra 40% and it's about $44. Then, add in the extra 10% for PuR members and you're spending $30 and making about $48. Not much no, but $18 profit is $18 profit, right?[/QUOTE]
I understand your thinking "Profit is profit", but I no longer flip unless it's a 1 to 2 ratio. Meaning I'll buy a game for $5 and trade it for more than $10.
If it is less than 1:2 ratio, I wait until the last day and pick a few up.
But I don't think I'll do the FO:NV flip because it a $30 to $48 ratio...not good enough for me.
Here are 2 good flips.
iconxbox360.gif
Bully cost $5 (maybe $3.50), GS base tiv is $9...so either $13.5 (40% +10%) or $13.23 (3 for $10).
iconwii.gif
Bully cost $5 (maybe $3.50), GS base tiv is $7...so $11.03 (3 for $10).

Good luck all.

[quote name='lionheart4life']Recently. I bought a bunch of blu-rays in their recent sale and some lady in the store tried to pay with a gift card and was told they couldn't accept them currently. I think they have been purchased by netflix but the employee mentioned they may be able to accept them again in the future although that's probably just speculation.[/QUOTE]
Actually it was Dish Network that bought them:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/06/us-blockbuster-dishnetwork-idUSTRE7351VA20110406

[quote name='vincentgrey']Just because something is legal doesn't mean its right. And vice versa.
I think when someone buys 10 copies of New Vegas they know theyre being dicks to other people who would actually buy a copy for themselves and play it instead of selling it somewhere else for a profit.
Its the willingness of pushing through that feeling, thats what makes you a dick or not.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It is up to each individual to gauge it, but my personal opinions are in line with what you stated.

[quote name='imacgod']Blockbuster apparently does not take returns on new, opened products. They wouldn't replace my headset :([/QUOTE]

The wireless 360 one? If it won't charge, just leave it plugged in for a few days. Sometimes that'll fix wireless headsets if that's the problem you are having.

[quote name='bsmiff']Hoping to find Dirt and Dirt 2 this weekend. Have you guys seen many copies of these?

![/QUOTE]

At my 2 stores there was an abundance of a limited number of games, but very little outside of FO:NV, SWFU II, Wheel of Fortune and Marvel Superhero Squad. Almost everything else was more than 14.99. I did find a sans manual :ps3: Dirt 2 though.

As a random aside, for those looking to save over $2,200.00 on 25 ft component cables:

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimi..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1B2NVE1T6QRZ2SFJWXR4

I was making small talk with one of the managers at a local Blockbuster on Tuesday when I went in for the sale and we were talking about the DISH acquisition and re-organization and she had a couple of interesting things to say...

1) Sometime in the next two weeks or so they are going to run a promo where if you sign up for Dish services you will get 3 Free months of the Blockbuster Mail service. She said they may also have some benefit similar to that for current subscribers.

2) With the whole gift card situation that has gone on, she said they received word that the gift cards will be transferred to free rental coupons, although she wasn't sure what the transfer value would be. (gift card value to coupon value)

I was making small talk with one of the managers at a local Blockbuster on Tuesday when I went in for the sale and we were talking about the DISH acquisition and re-organization and she had a couple of interesting things to say...

1) Sometime in the next two weeks or so they are going to run a promo where if you sign up for Dish services you will get 3 Free months of the Blockbuster Mail service. She said they may also have some benefit similar to that for current subscribers.

2) With the whole gift card situation that has gone on, she said they received word that the gift cards will be transferred to free rental coupons, although she wasn't sure what the transfer value would be. (gift card value to coupon value)

1. the free 3 months started a couple weeks ago. all stores should have that advertising up by now.

2. they have discussed several different options for giftcards though nothing is finalized yet. one option that i know was just a credit on the acct for the giftcard balance which would make the most sense but who knows.

dish is running some aggressive promos to get people back in the doors. starting today if you rent a $2.99 movie (anything 6 weeks or newer) you can come in for 30 days and get 1 free movie a day more than 6 weeks old free. no other purchase is necessary so basically you can pay $2.99 and theoretically get 29 movies for free. just go to the facebook page and download the coupon.

back on game topic. i'll find out about if there are any price changes either late tonight or first thing tomorrow morning.

[quote name='Marauder7']Do you still need Dante's Inferno? My BBV has 2 copies of it for Xbox 360.[/QUOTE]Naw, I'm good. Thanks for the offer, though. :)

It's appalling to see the desperate rationalizations being proffered for being Ferengi. This may've been the worst:
[quote name='jdb230']Wow!!! you know there's a place, called gamestop, whose business practice is primarily to buy used games at a low price, and then turn around and turn around and resell them for atleast double most of the time?.....And guess what, they do this hundreds of thousands of times each year and make millions off of it.....

It's funny that people like you only ridicule individuals who do this (flipping) on a MUCH smaller scale though.

We live in a capitalistic society, which means people ARE going to make money by buying/selling ALL OF THE TIME. I for one take no shame in being the one to make money by flipping when the opportunity presents itself.[/QUOTE]Gamestop doesn't go out and buy up every copy of a game from a store having a sale, depriving others of the opportunity to get one. People willingly come in and accept what they're offering. They could sell it here or on Craig's List and get more, but they chose to take the deal GS gives.

What's dicky about self-righteous Ferengi is that they come here bragging about how they looted stores expressly to enrich themselves and then get all butthurt when called on their greedy actions. If you can't tell the difference between picking up a couple of games and then perhaps flipping one to pay for the other and buying 2-4 copies of multiple titles and sneering that since Gamestop is greedy, it's OK for you too; well, I can't help you then.

And snarling that anyone who didn't make it at 10 am the first day has nothing to complain about need to get over themselves. Some people have these things called JOBS and can't get places at certain times. I'm lucky to have a store a mile from my work and planned to go on my lunch (like I had for Blu-rays earlier) but couldn't and as I rummaged through the sparse selection at 6 pm, the girl said, "We had a lot more earlier, but they got bought up early." I suppose when your only life is being an El Hoardo, you get out early while productive members of society are stuck at work.

[quote name='silentevil']Flipping one or two games is no big deal, but when people buy everything to resell it becomes douchey. Flipping is frowned upon here because snatching everything up ruins the good faith between gamers. Then coming here and bragging you bought everything and sold it to a store that is going to mark it up 100% aggravates people who wanted to purchase games to play them.[/QUOTE]Yep. It's like the pirates who post elaborate rationales for their downloading games - "DRM = no sale! Greedy publishers make them too expensive!" - and then steal the Humble Indie Bundles. If you're gonna steal, STFU about it!!! You aren't Robin Hood; you're just a punk looking for praise for doing wrong.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
thumbnail.aspx
[/QUOTE]Nice-looking bird. Is there a point to this other than you're chapped at being called out for being a ganking Ferengi?

[quote name='hawaiiboy']

dish is running some aggressive promos to get people back in the doors. starting today if you rent a $2.99 movie (anything 6 weeks or newer) you can come in for 30 days and get 1 free movie a day more than 6 weeks old free. no other purchase is necessary so basically you can pay $2.99 and theoretically get 29 movies for free. just go to the facebook page and download the coupon.

back on game topic. i'll find out about if there are any price changes either late tonight or first thing tomorrow morning.[/QUOTE]

Hawaiiboy, do you know if Dish plans to get out of games altogether? I only ask because my manager told me they were obsessed with "reducing inventory" right now. I'm assuming she meant getting rid of the inventory resulting from store closures, but I wondered if Dish intended to focus on keeping a movie inventory only.

Also, I think the whole thread is excited for any word on price drops. Thanks.

do you know if Dish plans to get out of games altogether? I only ask because my manager told me they were obsessed with "reducing inventory" right now. I'm assuming she meant getting rid of the inventory resulting from store closures, but I wondered if Dish intended to focus on keeping a movie inventory only.

they are obsessed with getting rid of all the general merchandise crap that doesnt belong in the store that's why they're clearancing all that junk out.

they arent getting out of games since they are still telling us to get preorders for call of duty etc and we still get the bigger titles in to rent.

What is the return/rebuy policy? I forgot the sale was going on and bought a DS title for my son. Can I go back and pick up another one?

I am going to go back tomorrow it's just on the other side of town so I can't go back now.

What confuses me is how they decide which games to put on sale as Used. As far as I know you can't trade in games to BBV, so where do the NEW used games for sale come from other than former rental titles.

As far as I know you can't trade in games to BBV, so where do the NEW used games for sale come from other than former rental titles.

yes, you can trade in games to bbv though the values arent anything special.

I have just learned what a Ferengi is. I thought a user here was named Ferengi. I also for the longest time thought El Hoardo was an actual hoarder a few CAGs had the pleasure of meeting or running into on their expeditions.

Anywho, for anybody in Maryland, I heard Pasadena's Blockbuster still has an Xbox and PS3 left. These are previous models (so both are not slims) and at only 25% off I'd pass for now. Haven't actually been to the store to see but was told by an employee that works there and also the Glen Burnie store. I did my shopping this week in Glen Burnie. Make sure to pass on it though. The selection is weak, unless you want Fallout New Vegas. Plenty of those left... Never understood why they kept that store open while closing higher traffic ones pretty much anywhere else.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']yes, you can trade in games to bbv though the values arent anything special.[/QUOTE]

They're still doing trades? I thought they were trying to get out of the gaming business with these clearances.

Also, if they don't accept gift cards, then how do you get your trade-in credits under the new management?

[quote name='hawaiiboy']yes, you can trade in games to bbv though the values arent anything special.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I figured they'd discontinued that since the bankruptcy filings. My mistake. That explains why no one posts BBV's TIVs.

@imac

Yeah, they've got an old 360 model on sale at a very low-traffic area which I figured would be closed down, waiting for the 75% markdown week before I'd consider picking that up. And I'm glad I'm the only one surprised by BBV still accepting trade-ins.

Lol, that you thought they were real people. It's kinda like Bigfoot/Yeti, when they're referenced.

The only reason I can think of for the low-traffic BBVs avoiding closing is that the rent is low enough to make them profitable, the high-traffic areas would probably have rent x 1,000,000. Land-owners generally greatly overprice rent in those kind of areas. For example, there's a giant empty lot (where a number of stores used to be), that I called the Haunted Lot, because everything there aside from a lonely OfficeMax which is probably going to close soon enough, has closed. This has been going on for years, until the most recent set of closings (a few years back) and now nothing's there because no one wants to pay the rent, but the land-owners would rather let it sit unoccupied than lower the cost. Happened to a local BBV a few years back too, same thing.

Edit: Sorry for the rant, but it does rather bug me. We used to have a K-mart in that haunted lot, now I have to drive a half-hour (each way) to get to the closest one.

They're still doing trades? I thought they were trying to get out of the gaming business with these clearances.

yep. looks like to just want to rent and sell games. no accessories or hardware thats why they are clearancing them out.

A
lso, if they don't accept gift cards, then how do you get your trade-in credits under the new management?

credit just goes to the acct and can only be used in that store. you can no longer get a value card and use the credit at different stores.

hawaiiboy, do you have any idea when the new items will be arriving at BBVs? The employe at my store said they were receiving 1000+ new pieces for the game and BD sale.

[quote name='DirkBelig']Gamestop doesn't go out and buy up every copy of a game from a store having a sale, depriving others of the opportunity to get one. People willingly come in and accept what they're offering. They could sell it here or on Craig's List and get more, but they chose to take the deal GS gives.

What's dicky about self-righteous Ferengi is that they come here bragging about how they looted stores expressly to enrich themselves and then get all butthurt when called on their greedy actions. If you can't tell the difference between picking up a couple of games and then perhaps flipping one to pay for the other and buying 2-4 copies of multiple titles and sneering that since Gamestop is greedy, it's OK for you too; well, I can't help you then.

And snarling that anyone who didn't make it at 10 am the first day has nothing to complain about need to get over themselves. Some people have these things called JOBS and can't get places at certain times. I'm lucky to have a store a mile from my work and planned to go on my lunch (like I had for Blu-rays earlier) but couldn't and as I rummaged through the sparse selection at 6 pm, the girl said, "We had a lot more earlier, but they got bought up early." I suppose when your only life is being an El Hoardo, you get out early while productive members of society are stuck at work.[/QUOTE]
This isn't the 1950's when everybody had 'conventional' jobs. Some people tend to like to work from home. It just so happens that some of those jobs involve buying up items for cheap and reselling them online. Does it deprive some folks of finding these deals? Perhaps. But there's always NEXT time. Not everyone gets in on EVERY deal EVERY time. Not even me and I'm a semi reformed 'El Hoardo'.

Yet it seems like there's a small(but VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY et. al VOCAL) group on here who seem to like to piss and moan when some invisible boogieman beat them to a deal.

With all of the deals posted on here every day, you're telling me you can't find another deal on a copy of these games you 'wanted to play' but couldn't find because of this phantasm that you like to imagine swooped in while sneering and playing with his moustache and evilly stole all of the games that you woulda bought?

Does this apparition you keep imagining look like this by any chance:
thumbnail.aspx

There's a TON of game deals posted on here on a daily basis, so even if you miss out on getting X or Y game today from Blockbuster you may be able to grab it a week or two from now from Gamefly or Amazon and possibly for cheaper.:shock: I know, it's amazing, right?;)

Nice-looking bird. Is there a point to this other than you're chapped at being called out for being a ganking Ferengi?
It's because you tend to repeat yourself(which is why I quoted every post of yours in this thread since the beginning) like a parrot.:razz:

I'm not trying to be mean in all of this, but just like people are annoyed with me repeating my 'stories' of price matching penny guides or whatever, this 'omg hoarders stole all of the games I was gonna buy to play' stuff is old and tired. Have you ever considered that either your stores just suck or that you shoulda tried doing like a few said they did and have stuff put aside for them?

Anyway can we all just give it a freakin' rest already?

do you have any idea when the new items will be arriving at BBVs? The employe at my store said they were receiving 1000+ new pieces for the game and BD sale.

most if not all stores should have received about 900 pieces of pre viewed movies today. the movies received today all fall under 1 sku or part number and will be priced at $4.99 today, $3.99 tomorrow, $2.99 on sun and $.99 on monday.

select stores (few and far between i think) will receive blu ray that start at $5.99 and go down progessively each day.

no stores are getting backfills of games to add to the sale. the only additions will be rental conversions that happen every sunday or at least almost every sunday.

[quote name='BobbyTastic']
@imac

Yeah, they've got an old 360 model on sale at a very low-traffic area which I figured would be closed down, waiting for the 75% markdown week before I'd consider picking that up. And I'm glad I'm the only one surprised by BBV still accepting trade-ins.

Lol, that you thought they were real people. It's kinda like Bigfoot/Yeti, when they're referenced.

The only reason I can think of for the low-traffic BBVs avoiding closing is that the rent is low enough to make them profitable, the high-traffic areas would probably have rent x 1,000,000. Land-owners generally greatly overprice rent in those kind of areas. For example, there's a giant empty lot (where a number of stores used to be), that I called the Haunted Lot, because everything there aside from a lonely OfficeMax which is probably going to close soon enough, has closed. This has been going on for years, until the most recent set of closings (a few years back) and now nothing's there because no one wants to pay the rent, but the land-owners would rather let it sit unoccupied than lower the cost. Happened to a local BBV a few years back too, same thing.

Edit: Sorry for the rant, but it does rather bug me. We used to have a K-mart in that haunted lot, now I have to drive a half-hour (each way) to get to the closest one.[/QUOTE]

No problem, mate. I wouldn't call that a rant. I understand you completely though. Sometimes you do wonder about these decisions company make when it comes to store closings. I've seen plenty of stores with empty lots that still are open (definitely see this a lot with KMart and Sears around here) even though they are quite empty inside, and I've certainly seen stores that close when there's usually a good chunk of customers around actually shopping and buying (such as the aforementioned Blockbusters). But I suppose you are right there are outside factors like leasing costs that will undoubtedly affect their decision even though you would think these higher-traffic stores might be a better bet and investment. Oh well. :cool:

And thanks Hawaiiboy for your responses and getting us a little insider info on Blockbuster :cool:

[quote name='hawaiiboy']most if not all stores should have received about 900 pieces of pre viewed movies today. the movies received today all fall under 1 sku or part number and will be priced at $4.99 today, $3.99 tomorrow, $2.99 on sun and $.99 on monday.

select stores (few and far between i think) will receive blu ray that start at $5.99 and go down progessively each day.

no stores are getting backfills of games to add to the sale. the only additions will be rental conversions that happen every sunday or at least almost every sunday.[/QUOTE]

Come on good price drop list, my stores have plenty left, alot are just above 14.99

Awesome thanks.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']most if not all stores should have received about 900 pieces of pre viewed movies today. the movies received today all fall under 1 sku or part number and will be priced at $4.99 today, $3.99 tomorrow, $2.99 on sun and $.99 on monday.

no stores are getting backfills of games to add to the sale. the only additions will be rental conversions that happen every sunday or at least almost every sunday.[/QUOTE]

Hey, HB. If you get wind of any price-drops when they happen on Sunday, could you let us know? Even if I head to the store on Sunday, I'm not going to be aware of any price-drops if they're not stickered/the game isn't in stock.

Can anyone confirm the prices for Final Fantasy and Lego Harry Potter for PS3? My store has both of these priced at $19.99.

Do rental conversions happen nationwide or is it manager's discretion which game copies get converted from rental?

[quote name='boneless']Do rental conversions happen nationwide or is it manager's discretion which game copies get converted from rental?[/QUOTE]

I would imagine it's nationwide, it'd be way too confusing otherwise. I guess that's something else to keep an eye out for, in addition to price-drops.

[quote name='BobbyTastic']Hey, HB. If you get wind of any price-drops when they happen on Sunday, could you let us know? Even if I head to the store on Sunday, I'm not going to be aware of any price-drops if they're not stickered/the game isn't in stock.[/QUOTE]

I believe price drops aren't effective until monday. Its the rental conversions that HB said happen on sundays

[quote name='AJVtony831']I believe price drops aren't effective until monday. Its the rental conversions that HB said happen on sundays[/QUOTE]

Thanks, either way, I suppose.

Also, first post with updated information, here goes.

[quote name='fiction']Can anyone confirm the prices for Final Fantasy and Lego Harry Potter for PS3? My store has both of these priced at $19.99.[/QUOTE]

FF13 = $19.99 confirmed at my store(s) in Oklahoma.

Didn't see Harry Potter. Although I did see FFIII for DS for $14.99 and under(coulda been $9.99 but I didn't bother with it b/c I own so many versions of that game).

Super Mario 64 DS = $9.99
Zelda Phantom Hrglass DS = $14.99
Bioshock 2 PS3 = $9.99
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune = $9.99

This deal is pretty freakin sweet.

[quote name='p-spiddy']FF13 = $19.99 confirmed at my store(s) in Oklahoma.

Didn't see Harry Potter. Although I did see FFIII for DS for $14.99 and under(coulda been $9.99 but I didn't bother with it b/c I own so many versions of that game).

Super Mario 64 DS = $9.99
Zelda Phantom Hrglass DS = $14.99
Bioshock 2 PS3 = $9.99
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune = $9.99

This deal is pretty freakin sweet.[/QUOTE]

This might be why my local BBV was out of used DS titles... (first day of sale, to boot).

bread's done
Back