The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='theMADster']Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3 is $6.99 used at my local Blockbuster if someone wants to add it to the list of available games.

The Blockbuster in Vacaville, CA (located relatively central in-between Sacramento and San Francisco) has a bunch of used games for sale. I had the employees put 8 games on hold for me to buy at store opening tomorrow. There were probably at least 60 PS3 games, over 80 X360 games, and more than 100 Wii games available in the $14.99 price and under range.[/QUOTE]

Oh wow. $7 for Valkyria Chronicles sounds like an amazing steal. Lucky!

Ahh, how did this sneak up on me?! I skimmed the other thread everyday and all I ever saw was talk about BlueRays. Oh well, at least I get off at 2 today.

:whistle2:? Now I just have to decide if I want to brave it at 10am with my kids to scout it out and then go back for purchases with TiV knowledge when my Wife gets home for lunch. Or make my first trip a scout and buy trip when she gets home for lunch... Or try and talk my Sister into helping and either stay in the car while I run in or just stay at my house (the BBV is about 2min away) while I run over.

Also, people keep saying how "the list" isn't that great, remember that's for ONE STORE. He posted the list as an example of what HE was putting out for the sale. You still need to check your store to see what you'll have.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Nice to see another B1G1 Blockbuster sale. Not so nice to check the Store Locator, finding about half the number of stores I visited in the last sale.[/QUOTE]

^This

I'm going to drop by two in my area (still)...but not until around 5:00. So, here's hoping there is still some good PS3 stuff left and that they've actually brought stuff out for this sale. I went to one of the BBV near me about a week ago and they had about 10 PS3 games...I think one was under 14.99, the rest were either 19.99 or higher.

[quote name='medetron']also i pickedup 2 ponyo sets and was wondering why people were going crazy for this title?[/QUOTE]
That's what I'd like to know too. I picked up a copy solely for trade list purposes with 3-4 titles I'll likely watch on the $60 60gb PS3 I bought like 2 months ago now.

Kinda sucks that they don't get the actual BR cases in to be able to swap out movies into for the used sales, but that's easily remedied I suppose.

All I saw at my closest BBV last week was Singularity for PS3(and a shitton of copies of FO NV) and nothing on the same platform to pair it up with.

Next closest BBV is about a 10-15 minute drive, next closest after that is another 10-15 minute drive and I have a feeling all of the stores round here are gonna be the same for which titles they have.:roll:

[quote name='ApeOverlord007']I've been hyped since I woke up at 4 am! :D

1 more hour![/QUOTE]

*sigh* I have two.

I suppose I could hit up Target in the mean time and see if anything good is on clearance...

There's about 44 minutes left till they open here(assuming they still open at 10am by me). I wonder if they actually did pull and mark down anything for this sale at my closest store, since I don't feel like going to the other two in my area cuz I know it's just gonna be older shit I've already played.

[quote name='david12795']no BBV has closed in my county yet..[/QUOTE]

Sorry to break it to you, but if you are in the 561 area code of Florida (saw that on your profile info), then yes, many stores have closed in your county. There are still a good amount left, though. But at least half of the stores I went to in Palm Beach Country during the last sale are now closed.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']I gotta disagree with this. My baby sister who's now 4 has watched Ponyo more than any other movie we own, easily her favorite. I personally think it's better than most of the kids movies coming out these days too so don't mind watching it with her, maybe not for everyone but we enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

Sure...it's all opinion :)

called the store closest to work, and they said they aren't having a sale. They have always participated before. Is this a case of ignorant employees?

[quote name='loafing...']called the store closest to work, and they said they aren't having a sale. They have always participated before. Is this a case of ignorant employees?[/QUOTE]

Probably, I remember one time I went into my closest store and they had no clue about it. The women actually had to call her supervisor and couldn't get a hold of him. Finally she found something in their log book about it.

Basically if they participated before they probably are now.

Does something have to be done at the register or will the second game autoring free? Thinking about going anyway but I don't want to have to argue with a CSR today, not in the mood =/

Got what I wanted...Fallout: NV and Enslaved for the 360 (both priced incorrectly). Smooth transaction and second game came up free without issues.

No Wii stuff at my local BB at all (I was gonna grab to flip for XBL points anyhow) but did grab Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars and Blood Bowl for $7.55 (they were both marked 9.99 but rang up as 6.99).

Counter clerk said she knew that they were supposed to be 9.99 each, but didn't want to anger the mob of elderly folks behind me renting movies. No wonder they're in financial trouble always!

Not what I was looking for, but for the price I'm happy.

New Vegas and Enslaved are actually missing from the OP, just thought I'd point that out. Still, thanks for keeping us informed io and hawaiiboy.

I'll go see what I can find in a couple hours.

PS3 selection was very weak but I picked up:

Fallout New Vegas (Was priced correctly at one store and incorrectly at another, but when I took it up to the register it scanned at the correct $14.99 price)
Lego Batman
ATV Untamed
Devil May Cry 4

Both stores had over 100 XBox games out but hardly any PS3

Columbia MD is not participating in the sale. When I took it up to the register, they scanned and did not come up with a discount... :whistle2:(

He said something along the lines of a 25%/50%/75% sale starting later...

They are corporately owned...

Nothing of interest outside of a Fallout New Vegas and no manual Lego Harry Potter Wii. Maybe 25-30 unique titles total. Can't win 'em all.

[quote name='simpsonps121']Columbia MD is not participating in the sale. When I took it up to the register, they scanned and did not come up with a discount... :whistle2:(

He said something along the lines of a 25%/50%/75% sale starting later...

They are corporately owned...[/QUOTE]

Well I guess that saves me a trip. I guess the nearest one to me would be Glen Burnie. Not sure if I care enough for this sale enough though...

My haul;

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 14.99 (PRISTINE condition disc!! This proves there IS a god!)
Mario Kart DS - 24.99(Better price than Gamestop any day; Had spare cash)
Monkey Ball Banana Blitz - 9.99(Also good disc... I was surprised at how well these former rentals were handled.)

It's a relief that my "sacrificing" of Brawl a few weeks ago payed off, heavily.

I also got Mario Party DS and Pokemon Diamond. They were the free games, but I can flip them at Gamestop for well over $30 after the $10 bonus and get me Mario Kart Wii back. Everything will have come full circle. :)

This has been one of the happiest days since my childhood... Thank you Blockbuster for being good even in the toughest of times.

...On to CaG business however.

I saw Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story for 19.99, Deadrising for 14.99, and... well those were all that stuck out on this trip. I plan to go Thursday, so if anyone's looking for games above 14.99 that may have seen a conversion, let me know.(Not doing trades just saving some people gas. I HAVE to return some movies on Thursday, so why not kill two birds in one stone?)

And as mentioned before, Mario Kart DS for 24.99. I know it's not great, but it beats Gamestop's price.

[quote name='imacgod']Well I guess that saves me a trip. I guess the nearest one to me would be Glen Burnie. Not sure if I care enough for this sale enough though...[/QUOTE]

Well, post up if Glen Burnie has anything. :whistle2:(

Was there right at 10 and ended up snagging 2 copies super mario galaxy(was very surprised to see this), dead to rights, fallout nv, enslaved, and lost planet 2...they had some decent wii games but most didn't have cover art or didn't have manuals and the box art was in rough shape

Oh forget it. I am going back to the Columbia store and buying 2 games. We will see what happens then.... As long as the manager does not have an over ride coupon button.... ARGHGHHGHG

I hate the interstate network of highways this morning. Some fuckin' toolbags from NC were hitting up my closest BBV(in PA) this morning around 10:20 am and buying like 30 games. The manager(who is usually clueless n seems like a lazy fuck) was more than happy to point them to the next BBV store too.:roll:

So much for me grabbing anything, as the complete copy of Singularity I saw yesterday was GONE by the time I got there this morning and it was mostly older garbage titles left.

I hit up the second BBV store in the area n they had jack and shit, save for a copy of Super Mario Strikers, Heavenly Sword and a couple of the DS Zelda games.:roll:

Looks like I'm sitting this sale out because if those asswads hit up the other two local stores I have a feeling history is gonna repeat itself n they'll grab 30+ games n leave nothing decent.:roll:

I found an el hoardo this morning. He was wearing an icky tron t-shirt and barely beat me to what I think may have been the good games at my local BBV.

So I hit 2 stores this morning. One had the updated prices such as $14.99 for New Vegas but no signs and they specifically told me they weren't running the sale (as a side note they mentioned the 25%-50%-75% that someone else mentioned in this thread). The other store had the signs up and the games separated out. I picked up New Vegas and Assassin's Creed 2 there.

[quote name='yourlefthand']I found an el hoardo this morning. He was wearing an icky tron t-shirt and barely beat me to what I think may have been the good games at my local BBV.[/QUOTE]

Stomp Em In The Nuts

I picked two copies of :360: Singuarity for my brother and myself. The clerk at the counter asked me if I was a flipper and told her I wasn't. She said that sometimes people buy all the games on clearance when this sale happens and I believe it.

I've hit up two BBGR stores in Blue Springs, MO, and a regular BB in Columbia, MO.

Nothing. :whistle2:( Less than 20 games at each store, and almost all junk save for New Vegas which I already have.

Eh, guess it wasn't meant to be. Hope the best for everyone else, though!

My haul (Total of around 76$)

imag0012xw.jpg

Im pretty satisfied, shopping on a budget sucks, though i only had to pass up a few titles (Didnt get Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks, or Singularity).

Saw a second Beautiful Katamari, might go back and grab it tommorow if its still there

Swung by two local stores in central NJ, not very much (other than a metric ton of FO: NV), but I did find a copy of Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn after doing some digging in the dump bin. Picked that up with God of War III for $16.xx.

Buying more games than I have time to play them is the only true CAG way! I don't know if I should put a grinning smiley or a crying one after that last sentence. :(

Went to two blockbusters this morning. The first one was suprisingly well stocked but I had just about everything, the second one was a dump. All I ended up with was Prince of Persia and Operation flashpoint though I noticed operation flashpoint is severely cracked so I'll have to go back.

If anyone is looking for anything in paticular for the ps3 or 360 let me know because chances are that first store I need to return to has it.

Just got back from the Elizabeth NJ store and they had quite a stock still left. Mostly Wii games but still some good choices.
I nabbed:
far cry 2 ps3
fallout new vegas 360
armored core 4 360
viking ps3
for the grand total of $26.

Anyone hit the Totowa NJ blockbuster yet?
Its usually picked over pretty quickly. Might stop by on the way home from work tonight.

Bought Killzone 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance: Fall of Man, Assassin's Creed 2 for $32.
headbang.gif

No store had or was willing to sell Mario Party 8 or Super Smash Bros Brawl. Would have been nice to have got everything for basically free.
icon_mrgreen.gif

I have to tip my cap to the two guys who cleaned out Berks County first thing this morning. I wasn't expecting that bumrush, but since most stores in Chester and Montgomery are gone, I probably should've figured as much.

Thanks for leaving the Saints Row 2 since that's the main game I wanted.

[quote name='JustinSaneV2']Bought Killzone 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance: Fall of Man, Assassin's Creed 2 for $32.
headbang.gif

No store had or was willing to sell Mario Party 8 or Super Smash Bros Brawl. Would have been nice to have got everything for basically free.
icon_mrgreen.gif
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Brother Daz']Scored Resistance 2[/QUOTE]
Jealous! All the stores around here only have one in stock so they weren't willing to sell their copies.

just got back from a well-stocked store. Picked up:

Dirt 2 (360)
Dead Space (360)

Wii
Bully
Wario Land shake it
Super mario galaxy
Mario power tennis
Okami
Marvel Super Hero squad: gauntlet

Thanks for this thread!

If you're in H-town, the Louetta & kuykendahl BBV has a TON of games. Here's what I nabbed today:

:ds: Sonic Chronicles
:360: EA MMA
xbox360.gif
Bourne Conspiracy (want to full 'chievie it)
xbox360.gif
Vampire Rain
:wii: House of the Dead 2 & 3
wii.gif
Ghost Squad
wii.gif
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
:ps3: Ridge Racer 7 (wanna see it in 3D)
:ps3: Dead Space
:ps3: TV Superstars

I also saw
wii.gif
Fire Emblem Radient Dawn for $15 but the disc was way too scratched up and they didn't have another copy. :(

bread's done
Back