The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
Right there with you, fellas.

[quote name='JUSTSULTAN']I got a tribe consisting of a 11yr,4yr,and 1yr and i understand...i make time when i can but i guess im just to much a sucker to miss on such great deals..The lives of Gaming Dad's goes on....[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mrwogs2']Right there with you, fellas.[/QUOTE]

I just moved my 7 month old out of my room this past weekend, and she now sleeps through the night from 7:30 pm to 6:00 am (recently got rid of her 9:00 feeding). I have a little more time to play videogames, but I'm also trying to squeeze out some more quality time for my wife AND start working out again.

Right now, MvC3 is getting a lot of play time in my house because my 2 year old loves being able to easily bust out crazy moves with Ryu (his favorite character), and my wife can actually hold her own against me using simple mode.

Bummer of a trip today. Went to one of my surviving Blockbusters today at lunch and the dude said that the sale doesn't start until Friday before Memorial Day. I asked him if that was what the store manager told him. He said he was the store manager. Oops. They only had a few less than 14.99 games all with no covers, so no loss there.

[quote name='Darquesyde']Bummer of a trip today. Went to one of my surviving Blockbusters today at lunch and the dude said that the sale doesn't start until Friday before Memorial Day. I asked him if that was what the store manager told him. He said he was the store manager. Oops. They only had a few less than 14.99 games all with no covers, so no loss there.[/QUOTE]

Unless it's a corporate store it starts today and it's in their computers whether they know it or not...

I picked up:
PS3
Megamind
Fallout New Vegas
Assassin's Creed II
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
NFS Shift
Sonic Unleashed

Wii
Tatsonuko v. Capcom

All PS3

$14.99
Assassin's Creed II
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
Fallout: New Vegas X 2

$9.99
Lair
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent

I was tempted to pick up some of the Wii games I saw but waiting to see if the Wii 2 is backwards compatible.

[quote name='simpsonps121']OK, just got back from my 2nd visit to the Columbia MD Store... I walk in the door and the manager tells me - "Ah, you were right. We are having the sale today. I looked through the book and found it in the back... I called 2 stores just to make sure..." GROAN. I did not bother to ask why it did not show up when he scanned the games for me...

Anyway, they did not have much. I bought some older titles (Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Street Fighter, Bigs 2, Lost Planet 2 and Singularity.) I did not buy 2 of anything....

There were a TON of Enslaved and Fallout Vegas. All marked incorrectly, but they were there. Also, Wii Bully, Dirt 2, Resistance 2, Dirt 2 (360), Wario Land Shake It, Okami for Wii, Assassins Creed 2, Need for Speed were available. If anyone wants them, I can pick them up.

Make sure you check the front of the store near the NEW DVD's. They have a cart there with stuff they just pulled....[/QUOTE]

:lol: GG, manager...

Didn't visit the Glen Burnie store today because I was doing yard work, but I might try Columbia tomorrow since I should be in the area. Was Enslaved marked incorrectly as in more expensive than it should be?

Amongst the normal ones everyone's getting, here's a few wierd ones I found:

MAG PS3 14.99
SW:FU II 360 9.99 (it had the FU I sticker on it)
Professor Layton and the Curious Village DS 6.99
DIRT (I) 360 4.99

Was able to pick up FO:NV (360), Singularity (360), Alan Wake, and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. Biggest find though was a 1600 MS Points card for $10. Seems the old packaged ones with plastic around them are half off, happy hunting.

Seems the old packaged ones with plastic around them are half off, happy hunting.

Anybody know if this is universal or YMMV?

[quote name='JKSonic']Seems the old packaged ones with plastic around them are half off, happy hunting.

Anybody know if this is universal or YMMV?[/QUOTE]

Don't know if it's universal or not, But I believe someone mentioned earlier that their store was discounting certain accessories by 50%. Maybe these points cards qualify?
Maybe HIBoy can clarify this point.

Had a little extra time today in SoCal, so hit 4 locations. At all 4, a TON of FNV available, esp. 360.

Sepulveda/Tijera - FNV but nothing pair-worthy. Low stock overall.
Culver Blvd - picked up FNV (360) here with Zelda Spirit Tracks (DS) $14.99. Not much stock here, either.
Lincoln Blvd - HAWX & Dead to Rights (360) $9.99, Spider-Man 3 & Star Trek Legacy (360) $6.99. Better stock than first two.
Wilshire Blvd - Bayonetta (PS3) & Rock Band 3 (PS3) $9.99, Lost Planet 2 & Ninety-Nine Nights (360) $9.99. Best stock of the bunch.

Didn't look like anyone had really picked through any of the stores yet. Managers said price drops usually hit Sunday/Monday night, so maybe some of the $19.99 titles will take a dive?

Stopped by a couple of the BBs on my way to work and thankfully there wasn't anyone else there so I was in and out, so I didn't really come close to being late. I picked up the following for about $64 (all 360 except where mentioned):

Turok x2
Beautiful Katamari
Eternal Sonata

Wolfenstein
Kingdom Under Fire
Dirt 2
Star Ocean
Dead Space (PS3)
SW:FU II (Wii)

Fallout: NV
LoZ: Phantom Hourglass (My first stop and all of the titles I wanted to pair Fallout: NV with were gone so I grabbed this in a rush thinking it was Spirit Tracks; my past English teachers would be proud)

Only Star Ocean and Zelda weren't complete (both only missing their manuals, but at least I knew Star Ocean was incomplete when I picked it up from the shelf). I foolishly assumed Zelda was complete since it felt heavy, but it tricked me with its generic Nintendo Wifi & Safety booklets, advertisement, and Product Registration. Knowing my current luck with this title, I'm sure it's Registration has been used. Have to wait until Nintendo's next point cycle rolls around to see if Link will slap me in the face a third time :lol:.

Didn't realize my mistake(s) until my lunch break when I was checking the condition for all my discs and manuals. All of the disc conditions were pretty disappointing, but as long they intstall to the 360 or play without any skipping, then I'm satisfied with the price I paid.

Visited 2 north Seattle stores during lunch: Ballad and Greenwood. The latter definitely having the larger selection (approx 100+ vs 25+). No hoard or flip brags for me, just added 6 to the PS3 backlog - nothing that hasn't been mentioned:
FO NV
Singularity
Dead 2 Rights
KL2
TFU
Godfather 2

Good luck to all especially any Seattle CAGs

So Dead Rising 2 really isn't for the sale? They had a ton at mine and it's been out long enough I'd think it would be down to $14.99 by now...just making sure because a lot of my stuff was priced wrong.

I probably didn't save any money since I put 125 miles on my car driving to 7 different Blockbusters in Indianapolis. Had fun, though. Nothing overly great.
Picked up

Enslaved
Killzone 2
SF4
Motor storm Pacific Rift
Alan Wake
Risen
Rogue Warrior (bad game, but incredibly fun and funny)
Xmen Origins Wolverine

Only found one copy of God of War 3' but it was bare so I skipped. Didn't see anything else interesting that didn't already have.

Also, it doesn't hurt to ask for the cover art if it isn't with the game. I had 2 different stores search in the back for me and one found me the cover art and manual for Alan Wake.

[quote name='odd mr t']I probably didn't save any money since I put 125 miles on my car driving to 7 different Blockbusters in Indianapolis. Had fun, though. Nothing overly great.
Picked up

Enslaved
Killzone 2
SF4
Motor storm Pacific Rift
Alan Wake
Risen
Rogue Warrior (bad game, but incredibly fun and funny)
Xmen Origins Wolverine

Only found one copy of God of War 3' but it was bare so I skipped. Didn't see anything else interesting that didn't already have.[/QUOTE]

My day to a T, right down to the single copy of GOW3 w/out manual. I could have driven around to a few more, but every store had the same stuff ... there was no point. I'll trade a few copies of Rockband 3 through goozex and hopefully get a good game that way.

Today was the biggest bust I've ever had with a b1g1 sale at BBV.

First store, one I've never gone to before but it is close to where I work so I figure why not. Found Fallout NV and I snagged Darksiders since I loved that game and def want to play it again. There were a few super cheap games I considered just cause but decided to skip based on the fact the next two stores have always come through.

The next store, my favorite one and closest to home has no signage up and like 3 games that are in the price range (including tons of games that are either mismarked or marked higher than at other stores) As I'm leaving the guy who's usually there and has always been really friendly in the past just happens to ask if I was looking for anything specific and I asked him about the sale, he said they were doing it but for whatever reason they hadn't gotten around to doing the price adjustments and rental conversion and had 200 titles they were going to be converting tonight and would for sure be up tomorrow morning. I'm hoping he means converted this evening and not after they close because I work at 10am tomorrow morning so I'm going to swing by around 9:30 or so and just check. So maybe still salvage that one.

Last one, and the stores that always seemed to have the really random unexpected finds in the past has a sign saying Buy 1 get 1 50% off. WTF? Only store I saw doing that, and it was a legit printed sign too (not something hand written or printed off the computer in the office). They didn't have shit for stock, I mean besides one copy of Fallout NV it actually looked exactly like what was left at the end of the last b1g1 sale, so I didn't even ask what was up with that.

I was able to pick up a Fallout 3 (9.99) and Fallout: New Vegas (14.99) for 16 bucks. Fallout 3 is without a manual and has one of those NFL holograms on the case, New Vegas is perfect. Some smudges on both discs, but nothing that a slight cleaning won't fix.

I saw a Street Fighter IV (14.99), Soul Calibur IV (14.99), Haze (14.99) and Grid (14.99) that I can remember prices on. All for PS3.

I asked the clerk if they were getting anymore games in and he mentioned that they got a letter that they were getting 1,000 pieces of previously viewed but who knows how many were the games on the sale. He said they should get the shipment this weekend, so I will check back Saturday and Sunday and see if anything shows up that I hadn't already seen.

I did great, I know it's kind of douchey but snagged 12 games at 9.99 each costing me 64ish after tax and traded to Gamestop for $132 pretty awesome day

the one i went to didnt have much. picked up FNV for PS3 and 360.
The one interesting thing that i did find out was that the manager there told me that all video game accessories/toys/posters were all 50% off. she said that every week they will drop an extra 10% till it hits 90%. she said that she wasnt sure what they were gonna do with the leftover stuff at the end of the clearance though.
this actually a pretty good sale on the toys. im gonna wait a few weeks and hope that they still have all those mario toys.

[quote name='bilbobagins3']I did great, I know it's kind of douchey but snagged 12 games at 9.99 each costing me 64ish after tax and traded to Gamestop for $132 pretty awesome day[/QUOTE]

what did you grab and flip?

Didn't find anything at my local BBV.
They had a bunch of good stuff for PS3, but their 360 section had maybe 30 different games and none that really interests me. I'll probably go check out another BBV to see what they got. I was really looking for FO:NV and Assassin's Creed II which this one had none of.

Had a pretty good visit today. Had an interesting situation with a force unleashed 2 game for ps3 that was mismarked at 9.99. Thought I'd try my luck with it and the transaction actually went through smoothly, when I check the game in the car it was SWFU not the second one. I go back inside the cashier apologizes and then gives me the second game, again the transaction goes by smoothly, I check one more time and its the wii version. He apologizes again and he finally pulls the right one but this time it rings up at 19.99 as expected. The guy was really nice and I guess confused as to why it was market at 9.99 so he marked it down for me. other then that I picked up:

Wii
M+S Winter oylmpics (to trade)
Boom blox bash party

Xbox
Enslaved

Ps3
SWFU 2

I'm going to have to run by the other close by blockbuster tomorrow before work. Wish I could go today but I can't. here's to hoping it isn't cleared out.

Managed to get

Bioshock 2 ($9.99)
Need for speed undercover ($9.99)
Hitman Blood Money!!!!!! ($9.99)
Ghostbusters ($9.99)

$21 and some change.

got
NBA2K7 360 14.99
Crackdown 360 14.99
NHL 08 360 14.99
Forza 360 14.99

Ta-Dow!!! i made out like a bandit today...All the guys at work think im so bad ass when i told them i stole the games...Looks like a promotion for me

Decided to try a flip for the first time, made out to be not too bad.

(All Complete)
For Amazon:
Fallout New Vegas 360 x 2: 14.99
Fallout New Vegas Ps3 x 2: 14.99
Star Wars Force Unleashed II x 2: 9.99
For Me:
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days: 9.99
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings: 4.99

Spent: $53.47
Credited: $69.50

Not too bad for my first try at flipping.
Not used to having so much tied up in gift cards but I buy a lot on amazon and have prime so that shouldn't be an issue.

Not the greatest deal on the two that I kept but two I'd want eventually.
They had almost no selection for DS games.

Had about 15-20 copies of Fallout for 360 and for ps3.

Every other Blockbuster near me I've tried for these sales has had 2 quality games for sale at best so this was a great relief.

I grabbed these for $20.

iconxbox360.gif
Dead To Rights Retribution (8)
iconps3.gif
Fear 2 (7)
iconwii.gif
Star Wars: Force Unleashed 2 (8)
iconds.gif
New Super Mario Bros.

I decided to keep Mario and flipped the rest to gamestop for 35.30 with bonuses. I listed the base values in parentheses.

Found a nice selection of games I've been waiting a long time to get cheap...patience pays off!

Wii NBA Jam (14.99)
Bad Company 2 360 (14.99)
New Vegas PS3 (14.99)
New Carnival Games Wii (14.99)
Bully Wii ($9.99)
Carnival Games Mini Golf Wii ($9.99)
Dead to Rights Retribution PS3 ($9.99)
Grid PS3 (9.99)

$53 after tax

All the Ferengis buying to flip must explain why most of the four stores I went to were rather looted. Only managed to pick up Crackdown (no manual, rental case) and BF:BC (no manual) for $10. One store had a bunch of FONVs, but otherwise, pfft.

they weren't running the sale (as a side note they mentioned the 25%-50%-75% that someone else mentioned in this thread).

this 25%-50%-75% is for any remaining game hardware. i didnt know any stores still had hardware but its 25% off now, 50% in 2 weeks and 75% in 3 weeks.

I wanted to mention that at the checkout today I was told that the sale was running until June 6 and they will be putting out more games (at this store at least) on Sundays, so you guys might want to check back.

the b1g1 sale is scheduled to end at close of business on monday 5/30. the June 6 date is the end of the 5 for $20 blu ray sale. all stores transfer games on sundays if there is a transfer report for that week. so there may be a few more games that will be eligible for the sale.

BBV also had 50% off select game accessories.

its supposed to be 50% off select strategy guides. there is no promotion for 50% of game accessories.

they had Enslaved too but it was in the other section and marked 16.99.

enslaved is $14.99 ONLY on :360:

Don't know if it's universal or not, But I believe someone mentioned earlier that their store was discounting certain accessories by 50%. Maybe these points cards qualify?
Maybe HIBoy can clarify this point.

we are having a 50% off general merchandise crap now and maybe those old cards are lumped in with them. cant say for sure though.

Managers said price drops usually hit Sunday/Monday night, so maybe some of the $19.99 titles will take a dive?

price drops ALWAYS hit first thing monday mornings. we get the report of what is dropping on saturday

I asked the clerk if they were getting anymore games in and he mentioned that they got a letter that they were getting 1,000 pieces of previously viewed but who knows how many were the games on the sale. He said they should get the shipment this weekend, so I will check back Saturday and Sunday and see if anything shows up that I hadn't already seen.

each store is getting in approximately 900 pieces (down from the 1500 they first told us) of pre viewed MOVIES on thursday or friday. there are no games in these shipments. they will be sold as $4.99 on friday, $3.99 on sat., $2.99 sun, and $.99 on monday. some lucky stores will also get a few hundred pieces of blu ray which will start at $5.99 on friday, down to $1.99 on monday.

didnt have a chance to look at the thread today as we are going under some massive changes now that dish is settling in and deciding what they want to do.

I ended up checking 3 BBVs and two of them had a poor selection. The third had a decent selection but nothing I really wanted. I passed on N3, Nier and Dead to Rights since I would probably never play them. It turns out that they closed down four out of the eight stores, within acceptable driving distance, in my area.

I did finally get in on the Blu deal. I picked up:

The Road
Up in the Air
The Hurt Locker
Juno
Zombieland

I'll probably go back and stock up on some more blu's.

Scored dragon age II (guy put the wrong disc in the case , purchased da I, but im not complaining) and resistance 2....$16.03 with tax!

My haul from today:

Fallout: New Vegas (PS3)
Lost Odyssey (360)
Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)
Singularity (PS3)
Soulcalibur IV (PS3)
Spider-Man: Web of Shadows (PS3)

[quote name='kingtaz6']Was able to pick up FO:NV (360), Singularity (360), Alan Wake, and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. Biggest find though was a 1600 MS Points card for $10. Seems the old packaged ones with plastic around them are half off, happy hunting.[/QUOTE]

How were you able to get one the 1600 MS card for $10!?

bread's done
Back