The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
I scouted the two BBV's near me (there used to be a 3rd and it had the most games, but it's now closed) last week when I was there for the Blu-ray deal, didn't find any games worth buying. I might check them out again in hopes that they did some conversions but my expectations are pretty low.

I got for $25 + tax

PS3: Fallout 3, Grid, Street Fighter IV all were complete

Wii: Super Mario Galaxy in a DVD type case, no manual.

I ended up taking SMG to Gamestop because I already have it and got it as I needed a 4th game. Trade in was $15 credit, but they charged me $4 for refurb. I felt dirty about it as I have never flipped anything before.

I'm surprised at all the stories of cleaned out stores. This sale doesn't appear to be nearly as good as previous ones and that didn't really happen much before. In any case, I won't get to my usual stores until Fri or Sat so I hope that doesn't happen back home. I will be checking out a few stores here this evening though.

I plan to do the same with Galaxy once it gets returned... on Thursday I think it was.

It'll be contributed towards either Zelda 3D or inFamous 2, more likely than not.

I wanted to mention that at the checkout today I was told that the sale was running until June 6 and they will be putting out more games (at this store at least) on Sundays, so you guys might want to check back.

[quote name='io']I'm surprised at all the stories of cleaned out stores. This sale doesn't appear to be nearly as good as previous ones and that didn't really happen much before. In any case, I won't get to my usual stores until Fri or Sat so I hope that doesn't happen back home. I will be checking out a few stores here this evening though.[/QUOTE]

Some stores seem better than others. The first i went to only had a few on the shelf, then the employee showed me a cart full of games (Which is where i got most of the stuff from).

3 other stores were completely cleaned out, and one of the stores had a pretty decent amount of stuff on the shelves.

I love these perfect storm cag days. Picked up a 160gb ps3 with 160 bucks in gift cards and split second :ps3: for 14.98 on clearance at Target. THEN I went down the street and got God of War III and Dante's Inferno :ps3: for 16 bucks at BB.

Thanks everyone!

p.s. nba jam :wii: is 14.99 if it hasn't been mentioned.

Good amount of stuff at my last remaining Blockbuster in Brick, NJ. (This time last year I had Wall, Neptune, Ocean, Howell, Shrewsbury, and Point Pleasant in driving distance - all gone)

At 14.99 I saw...
Wii
Mario Galaxy
Dead Rising Chop Til You Drop
Marvel Super Hero Squad (the Infinity Gauntlet one)
PS3
Fallout New Vegas - lots of them and mint looking cases as well
Heavenly Sword (case looked good..didn't check for a manual)
Bad Company 2
Fallout New Vegas (once again...lots of complete copies)

and some others that I can't remember..

Lots of decent stuff at 9.99 too - Dead Space Extraction, Nier, Need for Speed Shift (PS3), Ninja Gaiden Sigma..

Ended up getting Dead To Rights Retribution (surprised it was 9.99), Bully Scholarship Edition (complete), Batman Brave and the Bold, and Need for Speed Shift.

Nice Blu Ray selection as well - got Scott Pilgrim, Slumdog Millionaire, Yes Man, Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, and Hurt Locker for 20. Already have it, but it's worth noting there was an Inglorious Basterds on the table.

OK, just got back from my 2nd visit to the Columbia MD Store... I walk in the door and the manager tells me - "Ah, you were right. We are having the sale today. I looked through the book and found it in the back... I called 2 stores just to make sure..." GROAN. I did not bother to ask why it did not show up when he scanned the games for me...

Anyway, they did not have much. I bought some older titles (Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Street Fighter, Bigs 2, Lost Planet 2 and Singularity.) I did not buy 2 of anything....

There were a TON of Enslaved and Fallout Vegas. All marked incorrectly, but they were there. Also, Wii Bully, Dirt 2, Resistance 2, Dirt 2 (360), Wario Land Shake It, Okami for Wii, Assassins Creed 2, Need for Speed were available. If anyone wants them, I can pick them up.

Make sure you check the front of the store near the NEW DVD's. They have a cart there with stuff they just pulled....

I guess it's just store-by-store as far as availability. This time around I have a ton of games at my BBV.

[quote name='io']I'm surprised at all the stories of cleaned out stores. This sale doesn't appear to be nearly as good as previous ones and that didn't really happen much before. In any case, I won't get to my usual stores until Fri or Sat so I hope that doesn't happen back home. I will be checking out a few stores here this evening though.[/QUOTE]

just got back from Madison, NJ store that was pretty well stocked.

I picked up the following 10 games for $58, with the BOGO each game averaged out to $5.80

:wii: Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn ($15)
:wii: Mario Strikers Charged ($15)
:wii: Mario Super Sluggers ($10)
:wii: House of the Dead 2&3 ($10)
:ps3: Haze ($10)
:ps3: Dynasty Warriors 6 ($10)
:360: Risen ($10)
:360: Tom Clancy's Hawx ($10)
:360: Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway ($10)
:360: Saints Row ($10)

important to note that there was no sign advertising the sale, however the woman working at the store appeared to be a manager so i asked if they were having the sale and she was aware of it and told me to just grab what i wanted and the register should acknowlede the sale, if it didnt she would adjust it

Picked up:
Assassins Creed 2 for PS3 and Xbox 360 (Copy for brother and me)---$15 Total
Fallout New Vegas PS3
and Enslaved Odyssey to West Xbox 360---$15 Total
Bioshock 1 and 2 PS3---$10 Total
Alan Wake Xbox 360
and Borderlands PS3---$10 Total

From looking at others reports, I seem to of gotten a pretty good selection. Only things I wish I had gotten were borderlands for Xbox 360 and Mass effect 1 for xbox 360.
The PS3 copies were my brothers

Not much of anything for me. I got Burnout Paradise and Motorstorm cause I felt like playing some racing games. Would have love to have gotten NFS Shift but I didn't see any of these newer games you guys are reporting.

So far I got

Rock Band 3 (PS3) - 10
RB6 Vegas 2 (PS3) - Free

Fallout NV (PS3) - 15
Prototype (PS3) - Free

Batman: The Brave and the Bold - 10
Mass Effect - Free

Samurai Warriors 2 (360) - 5
Fifa Street 3 - Free

Dead to Rights (PS3) - 10
Def Jam Icon (PS3) - Free

BBV also had 50% off select game accessories. I tried to get a nunchuk but it wasn't eligible =(, only downside of the sale for me so far.

I'm really hoping to find some of the stuff you guys are seeing...since I had just gotten my PS3 a couple of weeks ago, I'm looking to create a giant backlog. Not intentionally, of course, but it just seems that it is what is going on. Since I haven't been gaming for a while, especially on the PS3, there are tons of games I want to play. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have about 15 games sitting on my shelf for months before I can even start them...but B1G1, I can't pass that up as long as they have the product.

Really disappointing sale if you were at the last one. It's made even worse b/c it feels diluted, what with Force Unleashed II, Medal of Honor, Left 4 Dead 2, Uncharted 2, Split Second, etc at $19.99.

I guess there's always next week, if the sale holds. Maybe we'll see some price drops, or perhaps July, when HIboy says there will be another. But for now, the sale is blah.

I bought a New Vegas, Rockband 3, Alan Wake, and NBA Jam (wii). Not too exciting.

[quote name='Brother Daz']Scored Resistance 2 and Crackdown 2 this morning. ran into CAG JUSTSULTAN there also, its nice to put a face to the name.[/QUOTE]

Definitely nice to Brother Daz. Hey Daz if you get a chance u should definitely check out the Falcon Branch got some good finds out there. Well my haul consist of

360: Risen,Enslaved,Bulletwitch,SS4,Grid,Fear Files
PS3: Fallout3,Heavenly Sword,Ninja Gaiden Sig,Bayonetta,Nier,Grid(
friends have it on multiple systems) 50 cnts:Blood in sand,Darksiders and Dirt
Wii: Tenchu Shadow Assassins,TatsunokovsCapcom, The House of the Dead 2,3
DS: Legend of Zelda: Spirits Tracks and Phantom Hourglass

All for 110.00 or so ,needless to say im stoked and with 20 BR'S on the 5/20 Deal im good and its been a good past 2 weeks. I love CAG, Big ups!

[quote name='JUSTSULTAN']Definitely nice to Brother Daz. Hey Daz if you get a chance u should definitely check out the Falcon Branch got some good finds out there. Well my haul consist of

![/QUOTE]

Right on, I may head that way after my son wakes up from his nap. thanks for the heads-up bro!

Hey guys ! the list with the prices from earlier, do they apply to all block buster stores ? Cause force unleashed 2 was listed as 9.99 and when I brought it to the counter it rang up as 19.99. What gives ? I was going to buy two and spin off the free one to amazon for 14.00 trade in credit and then trade in the other one when I beat it. Well looks like that's not going to happen :(

[quote name='strait edge follower']Hey guys ! the list with the prices from earlier, do they apply to all block buster stores ? Cause force unleashed 2 was listed as 9.99 and when I brought it to the counter it rang up as 19.99. What gives ? I was going to buy two and spin off the free one to amazon for 14.00 trade in credit and then trade in the other one when I beat it. Well looks like that's not going to happen :([/QUOTE]

Wii version?

[quote name='strait edge follower']Hey guys ! the list with the prices from earlier, do they apply to all block buster stores ? Cause force unleashed 2 was listed as 9.99 and when I brought it to the counter it rang up as 19.99. What gives ? I was going to buy two and spin off the free one to amazon for 14.00 trade in credit and then trade in the other one when I beat it. Well looks like that's not going to happen :([/QUOTE]

Force Unleashed is $9.99... Force Unleashed 2 is $19.99. Just have to pay a little bit more attention man.

Edit: Or as stated above, the Wii version of SWFU2 is $9.99.

I still haven't gotten around to playing most of the games I bought during the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays. I don't have a huge backlog, but with my 2 year old and 7 month old, I simply don't have the time to play for long stretches. There's really no point in buying games I won't touch for months.

[quote name='RCS0926']I still haven't gotten around to playing most of the games I bought during the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays. I don't have a huge backlog, but with my 2 year old and 7 month old, I simply don't have the time to play for long stretches. There's really no point in buying games I won't touch for months.[/QUOTE]

I got a tribe consisting of a 11yr,4yr,and 1yr and i understand...i make time when i can but i guess im just to much a sucker to miss on such great deals..The lives of Gaming Dad's goes on....

[quote name='RCS0926']I still haven't gotten around to playing most of the games I bought during the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays. I don't have a huge backlog, but with my 2 year old and 7 month old, I simply don't have the time to play for long stretches. There's really no point in buying games I won't touch for months.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='JUSTSULTAN']I got a tribe consisting of a 11yr,4yr,and 1yr and i understand...i make time when i can but i guess im just to much a sucker to miss on such great deals..The lives of Gaming Dad's goes on....[/QUOTE]

These are your friends guys...

condom.jpg

But I definitely understand where you are coming from... My brother has a 5, 3, and nearly 2 year old and the only time he has is 8PM until whenever he goes to sleep.

I myself am right there with most of you with the, "Haven't touched any of the games from last sale." Luckily there are only 2 games I am looking for this time around. I think I am up to about 160+ 360 games and out of this I have probably only played 20-30.

[quote name='RCS0926']There's really no point in buying games I won't touch for months.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much the mantra I had while looking through games today at my local store here in Tucson, AZ. I found a bunch of games I probably would have picked up during the last sale (like Dead Rising, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and Heavenly Sword) but considering I haven't even touched the GOW3 I got during the last sale (or, for that matter, the GOW Collection I bought during Black Friday), I don't see a point in spending the money, even if it's a great deal.

I did see plenty of copies of Fallout: NV but again I didn't see myself playing anytime soon. I bought Fallout 3 from Hollywood Video for $5 a few years back and haven't even played a single minute of it.

The only game I was really tempted on was Heavenly Sword only because it's one of those games that rarely sees a price drop like this. Maybe if Star Wars: FU2 drops to $14.99 before the end of the sale I'll pick up both of them.

Went back to the Alicia/Pacific Park BBV in Laguna Niguel, and everything that I scoped out last night was still there. Looks like El Hoardo sleeps in down here.
I got:
Wii
Marvel Super Hero - Infinity $10
PS3
Bioshock 10
GTA 4 (2 copies) 15 ea
Motorstorm Pacific Rift 15
Bayonetta 15
Fallout New Vegas 15
Ratchet and Clank Crack in Time 15

$55 plus tax.
I tried to pick up Bioshock 2 and prince of Persia Forgotten Sands for PS3, but they rang up 19.99. Pass. Interesting to hear I can get these for $10 or less through TRU clearance.
I found a couple of decent games at the Foothill Ranch store, I'll be stopping by there after work. If they're there, great. If not, it wasn't meant to be.
Not the greatest sale, but I think I got some solid games for my money. Between this, and this week's Target clearance, it's a good time to be a CAG. Whoever said that buying games that you'll never have time to play was the true CAG way of life was right on the money.

My haul-Store 1
POP Forgotten sands ($9.99) PS3
Dantes Inferno ($9.99) PS3
Kane and Lynch ($4.99) PS3
LOTR Middle earth 2 (6.99) 360

Store 2-
Ninja gaiden 2 ($4.99) 360
Facebreaker KO party ($4.99) Wii

Store 3-

Singularity (14.99) PS3
Fire emblem Radiant dawn (14.99) Wii

Well after way more effort than I've had to go through in the past I managed to make about 100$ in profit by flipping the following to GS in sets of 3, so all base prices increased by 3$ + extra 10% for edge card.

DS Pokemon Diamond 10$
DS Super Mario 64 10$
Wii Super Mario Galaxy 15$
Wii Toy Story 3 9$
Wii Biggest Loser Challenge 8$
Wii Jeopardy 7$
Wii Wheel of Fortune 7$
Wii Cars Toon: Matters Tall Tale 10$
Wii Lord of the Rings: Aragorn 6$
Wii Lego Harry Potter 1-4 8$
360 Beautiful Katamari 8$

Went to one Blockbuster by my house. Had about three others close to me but they all kicked the bucket.

My haul for $40 + tax

:360: Assassins Creed II
:360: Fallout New Vegas

:ps3: Guitar Hero 5
:ps3: Dragon Age: Origins

:wii: Tatsunoko Vs Capcom
:wii: Wario: Shake It

Not that bad. They are all for me (nothing worth flipping anyways I presume). There was a sign for the sale and all the $15 and under games were on a table. My Blockbuster is pretty good at keeping up with the correct prices and these sales though. Employee (who was really cool BTW) did ring up the 9.99 game separately from the 14.99 games so I saved some bucks that way too, so that was nice. Might hit a couple more Blockbusters when I go out of town tomorrow. Nothing really excites me in this sale, but you never know.

[quote name='theeipi']all of south florida appears to be cleaned out as of 3pm[/QUOTE]

South Florida is about as big and populated as most whole states. lol. Whereabouts did you go so I know where to avoid? I usually have good luck at these sales down here. I am going after school, which is after work. Ugh 7:45 can't come soon enough.

Any fellow Long Islanders (NY) here that can give me a heads-up so I don't waste my time? Kinda hoping there's nothing so my wallet isn't COMPLETELY empty.

The Union road BB in Cheektowaga NY had a ton of New Vegas copies laying around, not much else. Grabbed that and Singularity. Thanks to BB alone my backlog is around 10 games from previous B1G1's....

[quote name='EarlW0LF']sorry if i'm late, but what is a backlog?[/QUOTE]
any unplayed game thats on your shelf

OT- thanks JUSTSULTAN for telling me about the Falcon store, I grabbed Phantasy Star and Civ Rev for ~$10

Went to a few stores in the Sac area (Rancho Cordova, Greenback, and Fair Oaks), and the pickings are pretty slim. I was at the RC store as it opened, so maybe they had another shelf somewhere. Anyway, I only got :360 Eternal Sonata and Burnout Paradise. Was happy about ES because my current copy (ironically, from BBV) has a generic case, and this was the original.

Also got the MK guide 50% off; some others were Dragon Age II and Reach.

Bellmore/Merrick one had not much when i was there this morning left Lots of FO:LV ended up picking up Madagascar 2 , Hot Wheels , Moto 07 and for myself Just Cause all 360 and 10 Disney Blus for the kids , Totally got spoiled on the last one

[quote name='mightymek']South Florida is about as big and populated as most whole states. lol. Whereabouts did you go so I know where to avoid? I usually have good luck at these sales down here. I am going after school, which is after work. Ugh 7:45 can't come soon enough.[/QUOTE]
I went to Oakland Park and Federal. Probably only about 30 games total.

I went to Commercial and Federal. There were 100s of games last night, including about 20 DS games. All DS were gone and I only found 2 of the games I wanted. I asked the clerk and he said a woman purchased $850 worth of games and cleared out the whole display he just built.

I went to Atlantic and Federal. Again, the hundreds of games I saw yesterday were all gone. I couldn't find anything to buy. I asked the clerk if someone had come and bought all the games. She said a woman came and cleared out the whole display she had just built..:)

All of this was before 2:30pm.

Made out pretty decent at first store, didn't even bother going the the second (way on opposite side of town from the first one). Picked up:

For Myself
Iron Man 1 9.99
Iron Man 2 9.99
Enslaved 14.99

DS
Pokemon Diamond 14.99

For Flipping (flip value)
Fallout New Vegas x2 14.99 (14.50)

PS3
Fallout New Vegas x2 14.99 (14.50)

Wii
Toy Story 3 14.99 (13.25)
Tiger Woods PGA 11 14.99 (13.25)
Wheel of Fortune x2 14.99 (15.25)
Star Wars Force Unleashed 2 x2 9.99 (9.00)
Jeopardy x2 9.99 (15.25)

Saw but didn't pick up
EA Sports MMA 360 9.99 (no manual)
Mario/Sonic Summer Olympics 9.99 (wanted to pair with EA MMA)

After accounting for the games I'm keeping for myself probably will make around $50ish. Not nearly as good as some of the past Blockbuster sales, but not too bad.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Went to a few stores in the Sac area (Rancho Cordova, Greenback, and Fair Oaks), and the pickings are pretty slim. I was at the RC store as it opened, so maybe they had another shelf somewhere. Anyway, I only got :360 Eternal Sonata and Burnout Paradise. Was happy about ES because my current copy (ironically, from BBV) has a generic case, and this was the original.

Also got the MK guide 50% off; some others were Dragon Age II and Reach.[/QUOTE]

Did you see any good ds games?

Picked up

360: Fallout NV,
DS: Professor Layton & Curious V, Tinkerbell
PS3: Rockband 3, Fallout NV (for a pal)
Wii: Tat. vs Capcom

All in all $54 for 6 games. Not too shabby, thanks poster for these.

Would of loved to have found some Fire Emblems, you lucky bastards!

Apparently I should have checked the prices better here before heading over because a lot of the ones people picked up were still marked higher (and not in the sale section) at my store. Might have to go back tonight... Or I might go back and pick up RE 5 and Burnout Paradise, they had Enslaved too but it was in the other section and marked 16.99...if I go back I guess I'll have them scan it.

Overall it was a bust though, no flips that were worth it (I'd have to spend a lot to make anything worth it) and I screwed up looking at prices here...grrr...

total bust today. all the games I wanted are still over the $19.99 price point. only good one was Fallout New Vegas and I didn't want to pair it with anything else. I guess I'll pass unless they drop Force Unleashed II to $14.99 while the sale lasts

I picked up Mario Galaxy, Paper Mario, Oblivion: GOTY (PS3), and Fallout 3 (PS3) from the location in Columbia, SC. Everything is great except Mario Galaxy came in a "For Display Only" case, and the disc is pretty beat.

bread's done
Back