The Sheamus Appreciation Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we're talking about late 90's wrestling, then I'd like to add in NWA Wildside.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NWA_Wildside

From just the episodes I watched of it on a local channel up here in PA at about 2am on a Saturday night/Sunday morning I'm going to say that if the guys on that program performed in front of more than 30 people it was a miracle.

The show looked like it was shot in a bar someplace down south and they had maybe 1-2 rows of chairs most of the times I watched it.:whistle2:#

One thing I'm curious about though, is if this tidbit is true and it's THE Steve Martin, the comedian.:whistle2:s

[quote name='Wikipedia']Wildside was originally named National Championship Wrestling in 1997 and was owned by Steve Martin, who often made appearances on the wrestling card.[/quote]

I just watched the Bret/Shawn documentary on Netflix... Damn. It may be an over simplification of the situation, but it seems pretty powerful when it comes down to "I just want him to respect me." from one end and "I just want him to like me." from the other.

[quote name='mitch079']All this talk about this WMAC thing should transition nicely into Battle Dome.[/QUOTE]

That rotating pyramid event that legitimately injured a few guys, including one of the nasty Theismann-esque your leg is not supposed to look like that variety.

I remember some of them showing up in WCW TV but I don't think anything came of it. Woo full circle!

Interesting BattleDome fact. Michael O'Dell was on the original American Gladiators in the final season as Gladiator Thor. He was also on the 2008 American Gladiators revival as Gladiator Titan. Also his wife was a WCW valet named Midajah.

[quote name='kodave']I just watched the Bret/Shawn documentary on Netflix... Damn. It may be an over simplification of the situation, but it seems pretty powerful when it comes down to "I just want him to respect me." from one end and "I just want him to like me." from the other.[/QUOTE]
I swear the beginning of that video has to be the most overly dramatic thing I've ever watched. Then again, most sports docs seem to start that way.

edit- Their whole feud seems to boil down to, they were marking out for each other. They both thought that all the shit said in the ring was real.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Clak']edit- Their whole feud seems to boil down to, they were marking out for each other.[/QUOTE]

...and themselves.

I think it can be described that simply. It's two Triple H-level egos going up against the other - a mark for themselves, subconsciously longing for approval of the other, and all the while their thinking is clouded by the psychological need to put themselves over at any and every opportunity, on and off camera.

I think it's a good example of how that business can fuck with your mind. It's enough dealing with real backstage feuds, then they don't know if stuff said on television is a all an act or a real shot at them, then they start getting paranoid, shit gets crazy. Add in the egos on some of these folks, it's amazing real fights don't happen more often.

Not sure if it's been posted. Zack Ryder's latest offering on YouTube:

I lol'd pretty hard at the brawling buddies segment. The rest was pretty much a throwaway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLYMZtJrqqU

[quote name='mykevermin']...and themselves.

I think it can be described that simply. It's two Triple H-level egos going up against the other - a mark for themselves, subconsciously longing for approval of the other, and all the while their thinking is clouded by the psychological need to put themselves over at any and every opportunity, on and off camera.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of Triple H - Shawn outs him as the one who raises the idea of "If Bret won't do business, we'll do business for him." and later Bret says he basically hadn't spoken to Triple H right down to that very night that HBK and Hart re-united on Raw.

Part of me wonders what kinds of words were exchanged or apologies given between Triple H and Bret. I can only imagine Corporate Triple H had to suck up his ego and say he was sorry, since WWE will be using Bret for business in some capacity in the future and Vince isn't always going to be there to reach out to Bret.

And I think that's the other interesting thing - Vince is the owner. This was his call 100%. He walked down to that ring to make sure Hebner rung the bell. He's the one who fucked up with Bret's contract. He's the one who let the situation escalate to that point. He's the one who lost control and felt he had to screw Bret to get it back. Yet Bret forgave him after Vince called him up in the hospital post-stroke. But then Bret and HBK still had that awkwardness between them for so many years after that - and I think that's because like Clak said - they lost sight of the fact that its business and not a shoot.

I was kind of bummed that the documentary didn't go into any more detail or discussion about Bret going backstage and slugging Vince, and the feelings of the locker room after that. I assume that footage is owned by the "Hitman Hart: Wrestling with Shadows" people?

And I know the documentary was to focus on the rivalry from Bret's perspective and Shawn's perspective, and how they wanted it to be more than about Montreal, but I don't see how you discuss Montreal without at least Vince in the room. I would have loved to see how those three all had different recollections about that night while in the same room with each other. And part of me wants to hear Hunter's spin on it, just because he strikes me as just not giving a fuck about apologies but he would come up with some spin that sort of justifies what they did while being a half-assed apology to Bret.

Zack Ryder as a babyface makes no sense.

He needs to be a heel, dammit.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If we're talking about late 90's wrestling, then I'd like to add in NWA Wildside.[/QUOTE]

The birthplace of AJ Styles. He has become less of a spot monkey in recent years, but, back then, he was horrendous.

In my eyes, Triple H has always come off as a dickhead. The kind of guy who would fuck your daughter in front of you, and yell, "It's time to play The Game!"

Nice Guy John Cena story: http://imgur.com/A6PW5. I may dislike the character but the human being is a pretty good dude. Sorta like a reverse Chris Benoit or CM Punk.

And I agree about Ryder, but he loses either way. One thing I like about TNA is that they give just enough push to Robbie E to make him seem legitimate—like his recent wins over Jeff Hardy and in the three-way dance with AJ Styles and Rob Van Dam. All WWE does to Ryder when he faces mid-to-upper-tier talent is lose. Hard to take serious a dude who always loses. Because, really, casual fans don't watch Superstars, and that's the only place Ryder could pick up a win.

WWE has shown a tendency to waste talent. Say what you want about WCW, but Lance Storm got a major push and held multiple titles. Jobbers were actual jobbers. WWE's roster, today, is too small.

[quote name='BlueSwim']If we're talking about obscure wrestling crap from the 90's, can we talk about the late-night phenomenon that was the Urban Wrestling Alliance and its "No Hip-Hop Past This Point" sign?[/QUOTE]

Hah. Someone else remembers that. That Asian announcer guy dropped the "shades of (insert wrestler here)!" line like 5 times a match. It was the Urban Wrestling Federation equivalent of Cole's "vintage!"...but much worse.

The best/worst part was it always only very loosely applied to what was actually happening. Two guys who fight outside the ring suddenly meant "shades of Bruiser Brody!"

I've given it a shot. It's a pretty nifty program. I have a hard time sticking to it though because I'm pretty fucking lazy. ;)

Yeah, its a good workout - and has helped out quite a bit with the soreness in my knees and back that I get from work.

I actually just started DDP Yoga a few weeks ago and it's definitely helped with my flexibility (not that it matters) and most importantly it makes me feel rejuvenated. It's tiring and it makes you sore as hell, but it really is worth it.

[quote name='Scorch']In which Ziggles makes fun of Jericho's slip/mid-life crisis during the Punk/Jericho Extreme Rules buildup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W4-T07AbWQ[/QUOTE]

Two sexual references next to a comment about Toddler's and Tiaras? Weird.

Hate saying it, but watching that video made me dislike Dolph, which I didn't think was possible. Very cringeworthy.

hey i was watching TNA thursday night for the first time in probally 6 months and seen that point table thing

wasnt there a NES game that had a point table like that Think it was some sort of WCW game.....

too bad they didnt have that type of mode in current games (found it fun and interesting) when you had a bunch of people playing together

[quote name='slidecage']hey i was watching TNA thursday night for the first time in probally 6 months and seen that point table thing

wasnt there a NES game that had a point table like that Think it was some sort of WCW game.....

too bad they didnt have that type of mode in current games (found it fun and interesting) when you had a bunch of people playing together[/QUOTE]

You mean the Bound for Glory standings? I'm pretty sure WCW vs the World had one for the PS1 but don't know any before it that did.

Don't think I can handle this. Last three weeks I've watched the first two segments and then turned it off. I'm not even as harsh as most on Raw, but three hours is just too fucking much of this shit.

Is someone's chewing gum on Jerry Lawler's microphone box? He's cutting a good promo, but I'm totally distracted by that.

I'll turn the baseball game on in an hour anyway, so this isn't a big deal.

[quote name='Tsel']Holy shit, that Kane segment was absolute gold. Instant classic.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was gold as well. I actually laughed at it. Been awhile since a segment made me laugh but that was classic. Especially the Pete Rose line.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I thought it was gold as well. I actually laughed at it. Been awhile since a segment made me laugh but that was classic. Especially the Pete Rose line.[/QUOTE]

It just got better and better. The Katie Vick line got me.

^ Anything of note from the interview? I'm not in a place where I can listen to it at the moment.

[quote name='pimpster4183']I just can't do WWE skits nowadays. It reminds me of the same style comedy as the Scary Movie series.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, except that kind of slapstick worked when it was Airplane!, to me (though others succeeded).

Sometimes I can't tell if WWE writing just went straight beyond insipid, or if I've just aged out of their target demographic (which, since I still like vidya games, seems unlikely). The Kane stuff was clever, and it really doesn't hurt Kane since he's been treading water and "creative has nothing for you"-ing his way through their program since the Cena feud (which ended in January?). Again, when your writing team doesn't have anything for Kane for a period of 6-7 months, you have to try to figure out what in the christmas crunch is wrong with your writing team.

When I read about Kane in therapy, being self-referential, etc., my initial thought was "comedy hurts this character, since he's demonic or angry or destructive or whathaveyou." Then I realized that WWE hasn't really treated the character with any reverence pretty much all through 2012, so you can't hurt what you aren't pushing.

The problem is that WWE has become self aware, they're making fun of themselves basically. They realized how ridiculous some of this stuff is and now they're just trying to point out how ridiculous it is, like the Kane therapy thing.

[quote name='mykevermin']^ Anything of note from the interview? I'm not in a place where I can listen to it at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Basically he brought his wife and 9 month year old baby down for SummerSlam in LA. They're from Northern California. Anyway, Reks just saw how insane it was for his wife to try to manage the 9 month old all alone while he had to run off for appearances and stuff. He was going to drive with his wife and baby up to the shows after SummerSlam (I think they were Fresno or whatever), but his wife just couldn't do it with the baby and was going to go back earlier with his parents who were also down in SoCal visiting his brother. So he had to drive alone for 4 hours to the next show and did a lot of heavy thinking in that car, and came to the conclusion his daughter needed a father. So he got to the show, talked to the person who has Johnny Ace's job now, and they came to terms on his release. He apparently told no one else in the locker room what he was going to do.

He then had to think all day about how to break the news to Hawkins. But Hawkins basically said that's cool and he'll be fine. Those two had actually been prepping really hard for the Magic Mike gimmick, taking private dance lessons for hours at a time twice a week well in advance of their debut. Reks wanted to get out before they were any deeper into the gimmick/push because it would have been worse to leave Hawkins hanging after that.

He says he owns his internet company but somehow he's partnered with his brother in law who had been doing similar work for years. He listed a bunch of big name clients but says he focuses mostly on medium sized businesses. And apparently he's confident this job will pay the bills. He's not doing the indies or anything like that because it would be the same thing as leaving his daughter behind in WWE.

It's probably for his movie role, but I'm going to pretend there's an incoming third wellness violation notification.

It appears as if Randy Orton has been pulled from upcoming events.

Randy Orton is no longer advertised for the dark match main event next month for the World Heavyweight Championship in Buffalo, NY. Originally the scheduled match was Randy Orton vs. Alberto Del Rio vs. Sheamus for the World Heavyweight title but has since then been changed to Big Show vs. Del Rio Vs. Sheamus for the title.

Dolph Ziggler will replace Orton for the upcoming Canadian tour. Originally advertised was Randy Orton vs. Alberto Del Rio vs. Sheamus in a triple threat for the World Heavyweight title. The match is now listed as Dolph Ziggler vs. Alberto Del Rio vs. Sheamus.

Crossing my fingers for a third violation for Orton. WWE needs to take more hits to the face to wake them up. However, it's unlikely they cut Orton. It's not like WWE concedes to an athletic commission. It's all in-house regulation.

I have much respect for Reks. Genuinely refreshing to see a wrassler be a responsible adult.

I saw the Kane segment. Good for WWE standards. Probably one of the best segments they've done in the last few years. RAW made a shift to three-hours, right? How in the world do they fill the time? It's not like when WCW went three-hours and put in more matches. I imagine thirty-minute John Cena promos and a fifty-minute Brodus Clay entrance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back