The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Bingo, I don't mind that my game is on Origin. It's when my game is unplayable because EA got too lazy to implement offline Singleplayer. I get this whole social thing, but it's also another thing to make the game unusable for when servers are offline. SimCity is NOT an MMO, thus there should be offline Singleplayer.[/QUOTE]

I honestly think how they envisioned it IS a sort of MMO if not in the traditional WOW sense, certainly in the sense that it's meant to be played online by a mass amount of people all somewhat interconnected. They just haven't maybe done the greatest job of hitting that point home outside of interviews.

Or another way to think of it is a big budget AAA Facebook style social game. Some aspects of it aren't actually that different from say Cityville.

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']Whatever happened to buying games just to waste money. Then you don't have to worry about any DRM schemes.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']Whatever happened to buying games just to waste money. Then you don't have to worry about any DRM schemes.[/QUOTE]

I do that plenty already.
It's called my "always growing backlog."

[quote name='Eldredpe']It's a nice idea to expect a company to put one $60 game out that you will be playing for the rest of your life, but companies gotta make money and people gotta eat.

Of course they want you to buy something new the next year.

The charges you're leveling seem offputtingly hyperbolic.[/QUOTE]

It is not an idea, do you think I'm pulling that out of my ass?? That's how it was actually done in the past, and everybody was happy, companies and consumers. See, you're just proving my point, you are already conditioned into thinking it's normal to dish out more than $60 every year, just for the right to use, what often is basically the same game, the problem is by your logic all the devs from the 80s and 90s have all starved to death then, so don't go ad hominem on me Mr.

[quote name='MysterD']I figured that's what full-blown expansions and DLC's are for, if they want you to KEEP playing the same game and expand on it/add content to it.

I mean, hell - how many expansions do Sims games and EQ have? :whistle2:X[/QUOTE]

People argue that $60 is not enough for people to eat, must be they don't realize that these days, the price for base game+season pass hovers around $100, 100 for blops 2.

The real problem with this kind of conditioned behavior is that it makes companies feel they can get away with anything they want.

+1

I agree its not hyperbolic at all, theres a reason GOG does a good business, because those games, apparently that people should have paid 1000$ for over their lifetime to play, are still as awesome as the day they came out. That used to be the incentive for a game company to innovate and come out with newer and better games with new ideas so that people would plunk down another 50$, instead of milking their consumers for 5$ here and there so they wouldnt have to come out with something new; or even worse, shutting down what allowed them to play the game and force them to go buy it for an artificial reason

[quote name='elessar123']I wonder about SimCity expansions. Say you get it, but your neighbors don't. They add in a new resource to export (like garbage service), but your neighbors can't accept it. What then?
I'm actually waiting for a situation where someone else buying the expansion will kill your town cause of the social aspects.

Or pay real money to hire Godzilla to wreck another town. Or an exploit is found to do just that.
[/QUOTE]

They round up the players who haven't bought the expansions, evict them from their current cities, and move them to SimGhetto.

[quote name='Preedatore']
I love how EA and Activision are the only pubs that get hate over trying to make money. If people are going to buy a copy of Call of Duty or Madden every year why not release it every year? If it costs more to run a server than the value it returns, why not shut it down? These are businesses operating in an attempt to make a profit.
I think the major problem in the industry right now is oversaturation of the market. There are too many choices for consumers right now and the market can't support the amount available. This creates other issues such as bloated budgets, limited dev time, and mass market appeal decisions that adversely affect the final product.[/QUOTE]

I think the oversaturation is more segment based than broad based. Think of MMOs (the likes of EQ/WoW and their wannabes), I'd contend that the failure of anything else to succeed on EQ/WoW scale is that the potential playerbase is limited due to the $15/mo and large time commitment. You can't really commit to playing two life-sucking MMOs over a long period of time, and it seems that WoW's edge (considerably due to being the established drug of choice) in keeping their playerbase hooked seems to stifle the competition. Then there are the longer term life issues, like transitioning between, school, work, kids. I raided with a good number of parents of older children, but almost never ones with younger children.

[quote name='walkonshadows']
I was asked by a co-worker one day a few years back what I did for fun, and I said "I play videogames". His faced dropped and he said "That's worse than crack!". I laughed, cause I thought it was a joke (after all, I remembered at that time I had just finished a 12 hour marathon of Final Fantasy X the night before). But as it turns out he was a very hard-right Christian, and wasn't joking at all. This guy fought in 'Nam and Korea, and
he, at some point came to think that Video Games were the 2nd most evil thing on the planet.......next to Communism.[/QUOTE]

I'd ran into a certain contingent that when you're suggest that they adopt GPL'd software, you might as well be clenching your little red book.

It's kinda like wine collecting, you don't want to have wine-in-a-box to end up in your cellar.

[quote name='Motoki']
I honestly think how they envisioned it IS a sort of MMO if not in the traditional WOW sense, certainly in the sense that it's meant to be played online by a mass amount of people all somewhat interconnected. They just haven't maybe done the greatest job of hitting that point home outside of interviews.
Or another way to think of it is a big budget AAA Facebook style social game. Some aspects of it aren't actually that different from say Cityville.[/QUOTE]

That strikes me as a very interesting point. It's quite plausible to me that they were thinking of it that way. "How do we crush Farmville while lining our pockets as much as possible?"

This talk of PC games is getting way off topic. Let's reel it back in...

8536075358_b47f70a84e.jpg

Liberty Steakhouse and Brewery; Nut Brown Ale

No stock pics! Show me your beer.

[quote name='Preedatore']This talk of PC games is getting way off topic. Let's reel it back in...
8536075358_b47f70a84e.jpg

Liberty Steakhouse and Brewery; Nut Brown Ale
No stock pics! Show me your beer.[/QUOTE]

Here's Idiot's ^_~

natural-ice.jpg

[quote name='DonRamon']It is not an idea, do you think I'm pulling that out of my ass?? That's how it was actually done in the past, and everybody was happy, companies and consumers. See, you're just proving my point, you are already conditioned into thinking it's normal to dish out more than $60 every year, just for the right to use, what often is basically the same game, the problem is by your logic all the devs from the 80s and 90s have all starved to death then, so don't go ad hominem on me Mr.

People argue that $60 is not enough for people to eat, must be they don't realize that these days, the price for base game+season pass hovers around $100, 100 for blops 2.

The real problem with this kind of conditioned behavior is that it makes companies feel they can get away with anything they want.[/QUOTE]

You're right... I am the blind consumer, lining up to BUY BUY BUY! :roll:

You can keep looking at the "good old days" with rose tinted glasses where every game was Baldur's Gate and all multiplayer experiences/communities had the longevity of Starcraft and everybody was just out to enjoy games, damnit! with none of this money mumbo jumbo screwing things up, but if you think publishers haven't been throwing out shit to gamers since the beginning of video games, you have a horrible memory. (And that is an ad hominem attack, or at the very least something closer to one than suggesting your argument was exaggerated.)

There is far less utter trash on the market now in mainstream games than there has been probably ever. We complain about having to wait a few days for a patch on a game's release (as we rightfully should), but fifteen years ago that was a patch you might have never gotten, and if you did, it would have been months. Compatibility is rarely an issue with PC games anymore. Contrastingly, when I was a kid I spent four years over three different computers trying to get Dark Forces to run. It never did.

Games are at a great place at the moment, and you're making this bizarre argument that EA has a gun to your head forcing you to buy every new Madden game and that in the golden days this would never have happened. But I don't know what you're talking about. In the old days of gaming there were some great games put out that I still play, just as there are great games put out now that in 10 or 15 years you'll still be able to play. (If you make the argument that in 10 or 15 years you will be unable to play SimCity, you're being ridiculous. When those servers get shut down they'll patch out the always online restriction, just as every publisher has promised they'll do since the beginning of using always online DRM.) There was also a lot of total shit released that you still had to pay for and you now never touch. A lot of the same publishers were putting out both, and they still wanted your money back then. They were probably even getting better margins on it, as their dev team was 1/10 the size and adjusted for inflation they were charging you the same thing they are now.

I'm not condoning always-online DRM, and I don't think EA shouldn't be held accountable for launch day server issues and that you shouldn't be annoyed by the current aggressive DLC plans many publishers have, but I think the view you're taking on the past is a bit more nostalgic than it ought to be.

[quote name='asheskitty']Then there are the longer term life issues, like transitioning between, school, work, kids. I raided with a good number of parents of older children, but almost never ones with younger children.[/QUOTE]

I played WoW with people who had babies. I feel like they neglected them.

[quote name='Preedatore']No stock pics! Show me your beer.[/QUOTE]

Hrmph, look at that. What's in my fridge is exactly the three beers I posted about...

2013-03-06_20-14-40_550_zpsf958e209.jpg

Note that I haven't drank alcohol since at least October, so these bottles are at least that old. Not that I don't want to, but I'm afraid to
(heartburn-like reason)

[quote name='Preedatore']This talk of PC games is getting way off topic. Let's reel it back in...

No stock pics! Show me your beer.[/QUOTE]

Okay how's this for beer talk, I like to buy beer in Oregon where I don't have to pay sales tax and then drink it while playing EA And Activision games and complaining about how money grubbing they are.

[quote name='Motoki']Okay how's this for beer talk, I like to buy beer in Oregon where I don't have to pay sales tax and then drink it while playing EA And Activision games and complaining about how money grubbing they are.[/QUOTE]

Weird, I didn't think you could buy BEER anymore, I thought Miller stopped producing it.

Generic-Beer.jpg

[quote name='Motoki']Okay how's this for beer talk, I like to buy beer in Oregon where I don't have to pay sales tax and then drink it while playing EA And Activision games and complaining about how money grubbing they are.[/QUOTE]

Get the hell out of here right now. :lol:

Also, apparently there's another free GOTM for IGN Prime subscribers, AI War: Fleet Command. Received my email about it at 8:14PM today.

Here's the page: http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/ai-war

[quote name='smurfinaus']Sooooooooooooooooo steam deals...[/QUOTE]

Well the free AI War sorta, kinda is one. You just can't work the Prime system like you used to be able to.

Has anyone played Proteus? I still have no idea what's going on but I have to admit that I kind of dig it. It's pretty serene and produces a nice calming effect on me. Of course I did just eat dinner at this brewpub.
revolution-logo1.jpg
You don't even miss the gun and map. It seems destined for a bundle, but definitely an interesting experience when that happens and all of you pick it up.

I can't tell which parts of this post are on topic and which are off.

[quote name='louiedog'] You don't even miss the gun and map.[/QUOTE]

If it's all the same to you, I'll hold off until the GOTY edition with the gun and the map.

But, it really does look like something that would be a very cool indie bundle get

[quote name='Eldredpe']If it's all the same to you, I'll hold off until the GOTY edition with the gun and the map.

But, it really does look like something that would be a very cool indie bundle get
[/QUOTE]

I was lying anyway. This game could really use a gun and a map. Of course circle strafing is pretty difficult, but a VATS like system could do wonders.

[quote name='Motoki']Well the free AI War sorta, kinda is one. You just can't work the Prime system like you used to be able to.[/QUOTE]

Only free for members ;)

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']Amazon Prime? Where?[/QUOTE]
Due to the "you can't work the prime system like you used to" comment, I'd assume that they're talking about IGN prime.

[quote name='PenguinJim']Can anyone recommend a Steam game beginning with 'Q'? I just realized that I don't have a game beginning with 'Q' in my library.[/QUOTE]

Q.U.B.E. It's a first person puzzle game, similar to portal, but it lacks the story of the Portal series. I still had plenty of fun with it (bought it around it's release), but I don't think there's much replayability. That's my only Q game on steam.

[quote name='PenguinJim']Can anyone recommend a Steam game beginning with 'Q'? I just realized that I don't have a game beginning with 'Q' in my library.[/QUOTE]

Quantum conundrum?

Ps. Thanks for the heads up fox.

[quote name='Jugglenaut']Q.U.B.E. It's a first person puzzle game, similar to portal, but it lacks the story of the Portal series. I still had plenty of fun with it (bought it around it's release), but I don't think there's much replayability. That's my only Q game on steam.[/QUOTE]

I can second QUBE. I liked it, it was short but pretty decent.

I think QUBE is the only one. Also, get help.

Beer pic! Shoulda saved it for yesterday (had it last week).

Kw5h5MMl.jpg

Bonus points if you recognize the hot sauce behind the glass.

[quote name='Jugglenaut']Q.U.B.E. It's a first person puzzle game, similar to portal, but it lacks the story of the Portal series. I still had plenty of fun with it (bought it around it's release), but I don't think there's much replayability. That's my only Q game on steam.[/QUOTE]

Huh, sounds interesting, lets go check it out. Pictures look cool . . . oh wait . . .

"You already own Q.U.B.E."

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Valentina

What do I win?[/QUOTE]

All my Gala points! Extremely valuable! Especially people who... well, shit.

[quote name='dfg']All my Gala points! Extremely valuable! Especially people who... well, shit.[/QUOTE]

My gala points actually were useful recently. I won a Desura copy of Krunch using my points on Gala giveaways. Then turns out poor sap thought each code was unique and I ended up with a full IR Mash bundle in Desura...lol

Quantum Conundrum is a quite good and very funny 3D puzzle platformer.

I also heard there is a game series named quake or quack or qake or something about shooting stuff. I heard it was pretty popular amongst the game nerdz.

I have a non-Steam QUBE in my Gamersgate account, but I'd forgotten I was waiting for a Quantum Conundrum price drop! Cheers!

Quake series... liked them, will probably never play them again, so they need to be very cheap for me to buy them again. ;)

I have no 'X' or 'Y' games, afaik, anyone have suggestions?

Also, I started tagging my games, is there any way within Steam to see a list of all my games in alphabetical order, untagged?

[quote name='travathian']I have no 'X' or 'Y' games, afaik, anyone have suggestions?

Also, I started tagging my games, is there any way within Steam to see a list of all my games in alphabetical order, untagged?[/QUOTE]

X: XCOM (or any of the X-Com games) or X-Blades (or Xotic or XIII Century if you're just looking for OCD reasons)

Y: All I've got is Your Doodles Are Bugged. Never played it.

[quote name='travathian']I have no 'X' or 'Y' games, afaik, anyone have suggestions?

Also, I started tagging my games, is there any way within Steam to see a list of all my games in alphabetical order, untagged?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Eldredpe']X: XCOM (or any of the X-Com games) or X-Blades (or Xotic or XIII Century if you're just looking for OCD reasons)

Y: All I've got is Your Doodles Are Bugged. Never played it.[/QUOTE]

Seconding XCOM. For Y... Ys? Ys Origin?

X-blades and XIII:Century are the two X-games I have. I am waiting on a good Ys bundle for my Y-game, it is the only letter I am missing.

I third or fourth Quantum Conundrum.

I appear to be in the missing a "Q" game boat.

Have been wanting Q.U.B.E. since it came out, though, so I'm sure one day I'll fill that completely arbitrary hole in my collection.

X-blades is probably the best 'X' game that I have (also have Xotic and XIII Century, all three are from bundles.)
You Don't Know Jack for 'Y' (also have Your Doodles Are Bugged from a bundle, but I don't like it.) Ys would be nice, too.

E: Looks like I have at least one game starting with each letter - but I'm missing 0,2-9 and any special characters. :p

I have eight X games, thanks to X-COM and X3, mostly. Actually, all of this started when I saw how many games I had beginning with 'Z' (four, naturally) and it struck me as disproportionate.

My doodles are bugged, too, until a flabbergasting Ys sale.

I'm only missing "U", and can't think of any games that start with it.

I view my library in grid form. I've been debating going to textless grid, but then I wouldn't know what some of my games where.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back