The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='AdvOfJet']Wow ... usually I check my wishlist for odd games the first day of the sale and see a bunch of 50% off with some 75% off thrown in. Looking at it this time around I am seeing mostly 25% 35% 40% with some 50% thrown in for the most part.[/QUOTE]

The only things that were 75% off were items I already owned but forgot to update lol

Sadly, doesn't look like the $90 publisher packs are gonna drop any. I guess it was too much to hope for the Ubi pack, since AC III didn't even get a discount at all.

[quote name='tossup']There's a new holiday badge! Most of it is the same as last year, but there's a new mobile client activation requirement. How are people without steam-capable phones going to get their badges?[/QUOTE]

You don't need to do every task to get the badge:

Complete 4 of the 6 tasks below during the Holiday Sale to get the Steam Holiday Sale 2012 badge.

Be The Decider
Participate in at least 5 Community Choice votes

The Will of the Electorate
Participate in at least 15 Community Choice votes

Shopping Trip

It Pays for Itself
Purchase any discounted game, bundle or DLC

The Holiday Spirit
Buy a gift on Steam

Checking It Twice
(Already had this one, looks like have 10 items on your wishlist)

Personally I feel like I am gonna grab a few things towards the end, stuff that I been wanting to grab because nothing is super huge on sale.

For example Penny Arcade Ep 3 for $2 and Fairy Bloom Freesia for $3.50 or whatever it was.

Arghh ..... I wanted to buy something today but this is making it difficult ...maybe Patrician IV since its already 75% off and I have been putting off picking it up ..

[quote name='jshackles']Sadly, doesn't look like the $90 publisher packs are gonna drop any. I guess it was too much to hope for the Ubi pack, since AC III didn't even get a discount at all.[/QUOTE]Yeah I was hoping that Bethesda collection would be $60 or less....

On the homepage there's a link saying that you can receive a notification whenever an item on your wishlist becomes a daily deal, but when I click on it it redirects me to my wishlist (I'm on a web browser).

still got a standard batman arkham city for ps3 that i havent played. might go ahead and trade that and get this since it's GOTY

Been around for too many Steam sales, I either have everything I want, or the discount is not big enough.

Mind you, for first time steam salers (?!?) this will be a fun, fun FUN time!

So as for the holiday sale badge...

Anyone buying anything want to update us on how some of these achievements work? Namely:

Does The Holiday Spirit achievement (buy a gift) work if you store the game in your inventory? Because if so that's one way the uncharitable among us can get on this (or if you just don't want to send out the gift until Christmas day)

Does It Pays for Itself (buy any discounted item) work whether you're buying a gift or for yourself?

[quote name='Mooby']The publisher packs are, without a doubt, the worst deals I've seen in a major Steam sale to date.[/QUOTE]

Well the Bethesda one has Skyrim AND Dishonored so...

And UBI has AC III, so...

Not that bad considering new releases in them

[quote name='tossup']There's a link under the section for customer's choice voting: http://steamcommunity.com/my/badges[/QUOTE]

It's been a while and they still haven't shed any light on what the hell the badges are supposed to do for us. It can't be anything significant, just some meaningless reward in lieu of games or anything actually useful. I never go to someone's profile and ogle their badges. Nobody does.

[quote name='LazyTriangle']you only need to achieve 4 of the 6 tasks to get the badge, so if you don't have a phone with steam mobile you can still get the badge[/QUOTE]

I guess those of us without phones who desire useless steam badges will have no choice but to buy something in the store... not that I could resist doing that anyway :bouncy:

[quote name='Motoki']I would just like to point out that Bad Rats is 49 cents.[/QUOTE]
And people are saying this sale sucks :applause:,

Personally I am pleased with the sale. I will be picking up stuff that I want so it's all good.

Hey guys, can everyone please vote for Limbo in the flash vote because like it's never been on sale ever or been in like a bundle ever and like no one has it and we haz all been waiting for cheezburger and can finally haz it!

[quote name='malbrax']Any hope for Fable 3 to get to 75% off? It's on flash sale already and it's only 50% off :([/QUOTE]

Yep that one is pretty surprising as it's been 75% off last couple of sales.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Personally I feel like I am gonna grab a few things towards the end, stuff that I been wanting to grab because nothing is super huge on sale.

For example Penny Arcade Ep 3 for $2 and Fairy Bloom Freesia for $3.50 or whatever it was.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, PAEp3 and Ticket to Ride are my most likely purchases this sale, it seems. Hoping to get TWD cheap off Amazon in January (does it require Steam? That might be an issue if it doesn't.) Oh, looks like Gods & Kings finally has a sale price - if that hits 75% I might pick that up as well.

[quote name='Motoki']I would just like to point out that Bad Rats is 49 cents.[/QUOTE]

In that you'll pay me $.49 cents to play it? I think that's still too low.

[quote name='nitman99']So as for the holiday sale badge...

Anyone buying anything want to update us on how some of these achievements work? Namely:

Does The Holiday Spirit achievement (buy a gift) work if you store the game in your inventory? Because if so that's one way the uncharitable among us can get on this (or if you just don't want to send out the gift until Christmas day)

Does It Pays for Itself (buy any discounted item) work whether you're buying a gift or for yourself?[/QUOTE]

You can buy it and store it in your inventory and then activate it. It'll give both of those achievements to you. I was buying E.Y.E for myself and when I saw your post I figured I would test it and it works.

[quote name='cancerman1120']So the Flash Sales now end in 16 hours?[/QUOTE]

Some of them end in 10 hours.

My guess is we'll see some this sale that end in fewer than 10 hours too.

[quote name='malbrax']Any hope for Fable 3 to get to 75% off? It's on flash sale already and it's only 50% off :([/QUOTE]

I picked it up during the last big sale for $12.50 so it has been lower before. Everything in this sale looks more expensive than in the past though.

Maybe a daily deal (?) of Fable Franchise

[quote name='glennfrank']Yeah.. I was thinking about getting the Square Enix Collection this sale - but $89.99 seems high to me - am I crazy?[/QUOTE]

When I bought the Square publisher pack last year it was a total complete pack with every single thing they had in the store for $50. Now mind you I got an extra $20 off of it for pre-ordering Deus Ex but still. That was a lot of games and not just a greatest hits with no DLC either.

I think the fact that they've got some new releases in there like Sleeping Dogs and Hitman is driving the price up, but even so Sleeping Dogs has already hit $13 and Hitman $20. The rest have been next to nothing at some point.

I don't know, maybe if they threw in the new Tomb Raider pre-order it might be worth that, but definitely not as it stands.

[quote name='glennfrank']Yeah.. I was thinking about getting the Square Enix Collection this sale - but $89.99 seems high to me - am I crazy?[/QUOTE]

No, It does seem a bit high. Especially if you already own a few of the games in the bundle. And since this is Square/Enix that were talking about, you probably already do own a few games. They're usually fairly quick to reduce their prices and there have been a few killer bundles on Amazon.

Check the Amazon thread. They frequently have Squeenix bundle deals that are ridiculously cheap.

[quote name='Motoki']Digging for hidden deals now. Ignite is 90% off at 99 cents.[/QUOTE]

Nice thanks. I can't seem to get the search button to work as I was planning on doing the same thing.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Hey guys, can everyone please vote for Limbo in the flash vote because like it's never been on sale ever or been in like a bundle ever and like no one has it and we haz all been waiting for cheezburger and can finally haz it![/QUOTE]

Limbo was part of an indie bundle once Humble Indie Bundle V, that's how I got my STEAM version.

[quote name='Motoki']I would just like to point out that Bad Rats is 49 cents more than anyone should pay for it. Buy it.[/QUOTE]

Fixed!

[quote name='jkam']Limbo was part of an indie bundle once Humble Indie Bundle V, that's how I got my STEAM version.[/QUOTE]
I think he was being sarcastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back