The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The End']You know, I think my biggest problem with this sale as it's structured is that there are only 6 daily deals. That just means that there are gonna be fewer games on sale during the course of the sale. Sure they have the flash sales and the community vote deals. But they had those during the summer sale and they still managed to have 9 daily deals.[/QUOTE]

I agree. At best, at any given point in time, there will really only be 13 things on sale, and only 6 things you can say with reasonable certainty will not be any cheaper.

That, bundled with those TERRIBLE publisher packs, and it all feels very "meh"

I was hoping for a half off Secret world (missed the amazon sale). I'll wait it out and see if the sale gets better, lol.

[quote name='jshackles']I know what you guys were talking about now when you said each subsequent Steam sale gets worse because as you go forward, you own more games.

For example, I own 4 of the 6 daily deals already...[/QUOTE]The sales are also just objectively worse. There've been no achievement hunting steam-wide games this year, and old stuff is more expensive than it used to be. Borderlands GOTY was $5 when I bought it over a year ago. They want $7.50 today.

There are even fewer dailies than usual this time around... I am totally disappoint.

[quote name='hbluft']That doesn't look half bad for a buck and change.[/QUOTE]
There is another Garshasp game for the same price. I will probably pick those up along with Critter Crunch and Fable.

[quote name='heybtbm']A good rule of thumb that's served me well over the years...

25% off...HOLD!
40% off...HOLD!
50% off...HOLD!
60% off...HOLD!

75% off...NOW!

http://youtu.be/N1NupxasQWs[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. But what if its a newer release like Hitman Absolution which is currently on sale for 50% off....any chance a newer title will get better than 50% off?

And Amazon digital download is already $5 cheaper at $20 lol

[quote name='hbluft']That doesn't look half bad for a buck and change.

Edit: Purchased, can't go wrong for 1.24, and if the title holds any truth there might be dragons involved.[/QUOTE]

There is another title for the same price, a sequel or prequel mayhap?

[quote name='Captain Urahara']Oh boy my Steam store page is glitching out. Great . . .

And now it's better. Whew.[/QUOTE]

Since the sale started my store page has been glitchy.

You can kind of tell what the sale price is gonna be on games that are going to go daily based on their current discount.

If it's 25%, it will be somewhere between 33%-50%.
If it's 33%, it will be 60-66%.
If it's 50%, it will be 75%.

There are a few that are 40% off, and I think those will probably be 75% off too.

They basically double the discount when it's flash/daily.

[quote name='Woodlands']How many chapters will Winter Voices be when it's complete? $10 for all five parts is in my price range now -- although I'll wait in the unlikely event of a daily deal -- but I wonder if I'm just setting myself up to pay for another 10 parts down the road...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='The End']Actually, I believe that you need to buy the Prologue as well. So it's actually $12 if you want the complete collection.

I have no clue if there will be any further chapters.[/QUOTE]

There will be 6 total (plus the prologue) so there's only one more to go.

There was talk that there might be sort of a second season but the developer more recently said if he continues the story it will more likely be in another medium like a comic or a novel.

The full 6 episodes should be the complete story though. Anything potetnially beyond that in any medium is more a sequel that expands upon that world etc.

I give the developer a lot of credit. The company that was working on it essentially went bankrupt and folded after episode 4 but he never gave up on the game and tried really hard to get it back and he has.

He did address a lot of things about the game and in particular battles go much faster now but still it's nichey and not everyone's cup of tea so do try it first before you buy if you can.

[quote name='SeymourGams']
http://store.steampowered.com/app/99410/

Any opinions, Motoki?[/QUOTE]

It's cheap enough and it's on my list so I will probably grab it.

And then it will probably been in a bundle two weeks later.

I grabbed the first Garsharp I believe when it was this low in the Summer Sale 2011. I picked up the sequel during the Autumn sale for the same $1.24 price. Sadly, I haven't played either of them. (On a side note: what the hell is wrong with me?)

Grr. No Eternity Clock sale makes me a sad panda. :drool:

[quote name='Woodlands']How many chapters will Winter Voices be when it's complete? $10 for all five parts is in my price range now -- although I'll wait in the unlikely event of a daily deal -- but I wonder if I'm just setting myself up to pay for another 10 parts down the road...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='The End']Actually, I believe that you need to buy the Prologue as well. So it's actually $12 if you want the complete collection.

I have no clue if there will be any further chapters.[/QUOTE]

It's an episodic series. According to the dev site, the sixth episode is in production and there will be a seventh to close out "season one." EDIT: I just read Motoki's post and realized I wasn't counting the prologue, so the episode in production probably is the last one for this season.

[quote name='SeymourGams']There is another title for the same price, a sequel or prequel mayhap?[/QUOTE]

The consensus on this is that it's not really an improvement over the original--still pretty buggy. IMO, as I haven't played the first Garshasp yet, I reckon I can wait as it will continue to be 75% during future major sale events.

[quote name='Motoki']
It's cheap enough and it's on my list so I will probably grab it.

And then it will probably been in a bundle two weeks later.[/QUOTE]

I got the first one in a bundle this year, not too sure about the second one though. Decent God of War clone from indie development.

This sale makes me realize I've bought too many games already this year, and that Valve has quite simply sold too many during the same time frame.

Conversely, if you're an unrepentant hipster like I am (or even better, an unrepentant lesbian hipster like the game's creator) I wholeheartedly recommend Analogue: A Hate Story. It's been in a lot of bundles and specials both on and off Steam this year but at $2.50 it's already 75% off so it's hard to imagine seeing it for much less. Its Metascore isn't particularly good anymore, and I don't know who Christine Love is trying to kid with the $9.99 MSRP, but since Thirty Flights of Loving is presently more at only 25% off right now I'm hard pressed to think of a game that's shorter and cheaper which will inspire the same degree of consideration from its players without pointing you in the direction of the GOG sale (or the Humble Bundle 7...).

I'd give a more general recommendation to Noitu Love 2 as well (which was also in an Indie Royale) but since it's been included in various "Swedish"/indie bundles that have been on Steam I'd look for it to crop up in another one/drop by more before the sale is through.

Thoughts on the Penny Arcade Games? PA3 is $2, and the first two are $3 together. I know I want PA3 to support the dev, but do you guys think the first 2 are worth playing and/or would increase my enjoyment of the third?

[quote name='warreni']Grr. No Eternity Clock sale makes me a sad panda. :drool:[/QUOTE]

DW: The Eternity Clock was a terrible game, and I'm a huge DW fan. I'm happy they are keeping you from buying it by not putting it on sale. Save your money for the good games! Or at least cheap garbage.

[quote name='Das_Regal']Thoughts on the Penny Arcade Games? PA3 is $2, and the first two are $3 together. I know I want PA3 to support the dev, but do you guys think the first 2 are worth playing and/or would increase my enjoyment of the third?[/QUOTE]
It's Penny Arcade so yes. If you like Penny Arcade.

[quote name='Das_Regal']Thoughts on the Penny Arcade Games? PA3 is $2, and the first two are $3 together. I know I want PA3 to support the dev, but do you guys think the first 2 are worth playing and/or would increase my enjoyment of the third?[/QUOTE]

I loved the first two and regret buying the third. Started it and realized it was nowhere near the same quality... but that's just my opinion.

The PC versions of the first 2 have some bugs with gamepad support, but they're fun little games if you like Penny Arcade.

The third is a must-have if you enjoyed either of ZeBoyd's first games (Breath of Death VII and Cthulhu Saves the World), and probably a good choice if you didn't play those but love 16-bit jRPGs.

As for this sale .. . I'm grumpy they're not doing an achievement hunt. Even more than I was when they didn't for the summer sale. They've had a year to work out the kinks from the last winter sale, and they decided to just dial everything back and make it all about the deals . . . which Amazon and GMG are beating them on. I'm going to try avoiding purchases through the Steam store this sale to 'vote with my wallet.'

Nothing for me to start off, but I've been doing this long enough to expect that. A few wishlisted things at 60+% off, so I'll have some things to consider come January.

[quote name='soulkyo']Is Bat Rats worth paying the half dollar or is really THAT bad?[/QUOTE]

I have a key that I will give to you for free if you want to try it out. It is supposed to be pretty bad though.

[quote name='The End']I have a key that I will give to you for free if you want to try it out. It is supposed to be pretty bad though.[/QUOTE]

I'd really appreciate it, thanks! :)

Used the restroom (totally unnecessary as it turns out)
Refreshed Steam at the start of the sale and voted
Logged on to Steam through my phone
Bought Ignite as a gift to give to myself (thanks Motoki!)
Checked my badge page --> Earned! and completely anticlimactic

Now what?

[quote name='Palinn']Used the restroom (totally unnecessary as it turns out)

Now what?[/QUOTE]

Press your badge up against the window for all to see and admire.

Or not.

[quote name='Palinn']Used the restroom (totally unnecessary as it turns out)

Now what?[/QUOTE]

Was also incredibly disappointed in the same way...

The user generated content on scribblenauts looks great. Doesn't the steam version have more content than WiiU. Are they actively moderating and removing licensed stuff content from steam?

I'm tempted to spend the $0.49 on Bad Rats just to experience the awfulness I keep hearing about, but it is also keeping me from spending the $0.49 because I hear it's so bad . . .

[quote name='Captain Urahara']DW: The Eternity Clock was a terrible game, and I'm a huge DW fan. I'm happy they are keeping you from buying it by not putting it on sale. Save your money for the good games! Or at least cheap garbage.[/QUOTE]

Wait, did you play the PS3 or PC version? The PC version is supposed to have a lot of the bugs that plagued the original release ironed out.

Besides, I'm probably a bigger DW nerd than you, so I'll have to fork over the dough for it eventually even if it's so bad I can't get through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back