The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='guardian_owl']How about Spec Ops the Line? Did you get that? Finished that 3 days ago and it's still on my mind.

The choices you make have an effect on you, and you alone, which is the case of most choices in life, whether I run down a random pedestrian or give a homeless man a sandwich isn't going to change the fate of the world, yet so often it does in games. You make a split second choice, sometimes a wrong one, and like the character you have to live with it as it instantly saves.

In the case of the big "decision", you do have a choice; you can do what needs to be done to continue the mission, or you can try and do it the conventional way (the game lets you do this) and inevitably you will fail before making a dent in the attacking force. You will fail, because in this situation of stacked odds, there really is no alternative if you wish to proceed, as much as his squad mate (and you the player) may cling to the belief in the contrary.

There is also an option C, HUGE SPOILER
survive against all odds and murder that entire final squad, walker almost looks disappointed, and gets on the radio to taunt the US to come back to finish the job. This harkens back to a line Konrad said "We can't go home. There's a line men like us have to cross. If we're lucky, we do what's necessary, and then we die."

Anyway, if one has finished the game and wants to read more about the genesis of the game, and lots of little touches which are there that you might not notice, start with this and if you want more there is a list of more material here.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the links! I've read one of them before, but it's always enjoyable to see a little more into stories where an obviously large amount of thought and effort went toward. I did enjoy Spec Ops' story, though I suppose the word "enjoy" may not be the most appropriate given the context. I thought the writers had a vision for the game, and surprisingly they were given the means and the funding to see it through. Although the gameplay mechanics are a bit lackluster (I don't really like playing FPS games in general), it's probably the only FPS I'd recommend to my friends. I know someone else earlier compared it to Max Payne 3, but I thought the story had much more scope and ambition than MP3's ever did.

Anyway, good stuff. I heard Hotline Miami has a pretty similar vision in some ways too, albeit more subtle.

I confused Guns of Icarus Online with Air Buccaneers, which was a Greenlight title that came out in early December.

Also, can't decide if I should use one or both of my $5 amazon coupons on Darkness2, Spec Ops or both. Want both but also kind of want to see what other EC2012 titles on on sale this month.

Just catching up with the thread...

[quote name='Neuro5i5']These were all flash sales:

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit $4.99 75% off
Need for Speed Undercover $2.49 75% off
Need for Speed Shift $4.99 75% off
[/QUOTE]

Well that sale sure disappeared in a flash! It would be nice if they went on sale again to make up for the early finish the first time.

[quote name='Motoki']Only a CAG would people get outraged over the 9% difference between 66 and 75 percents. ;)[/QUOTE]

Because a CAG would realize that the difference in the final price between those two discounts is 36%, worth a bit of outrage surely!

[quote name='Genocidal']Guns of Icarus and Guns of Icarus Online are different games. The former was the one bundled.[/QUOTE]

They were both in Be Mine 4. Oldschool was in the basic bundle, If you beat the average you received the beta for Online, but not the final product.

[quote name='MysterD']That's exactly the point - by having the player DO all these HORRIBLE acts, the player FEEL HORRIBLE about it and actually thinks about everything.

Then let's just throw on top of it the entire deconstruction of the military shooter genre and Walker's on-going issues...
....yeah, his on-going PTSD and DID
...Yeah, I think you get the point.[/QUOTE]

Despite not being a shooter fan, you're making me think that I'd like to play this game...

[quote name='MysterD']I own A LOT of racers.

I don't think that's all of 'em, but here's a bunch I own on the PC:

NFS: Most Wanted, Carbon, Undercover, ProStreet, Hot Pursuit 2010, Shift 1, Shift 2, and The Run.
Test Drive Unlimited 2
GTR2
Blur
Split/Second
FUEL
GRID
DIRT 1 + 2
TOCA RACE Driver 3.
Midnight Club 2
Burnout: Paradise - TUB[/QUOTE]

NFS: Underground 1 (PS2), Underground 2 (PS2 & PC), Most Wanted (PS2 & PC), Carbon, ProStreet, Undercover, Shift 1, Hot Pursuit, Shift 2, The Run.
Dirt 1, 2, 3
GRID
RACE07: (all expansions, from the Summer's RACE On bundle)
RACE : WTCC, Caterham
GTR Evo
GT Legends
Xpand Rally Extreme
Mad Riders
GTR2
Blur
Split/Second
Ridge Racer Unbounded
Crash Time 1, 2, 3 (as well as Alarm for Cobra 11 Nitro)
Driver: Parallel Lines, San Fransisco
Flatout 1, UC, 2
Midnight Club 2 (PS2 & PC) ...I swore I had MC3, but I'm not seeing it on my shelf
Gran Turismo (PS2): 3, 4, Tourist Trophy
Burnout (PS2): 1, 2 Point of Impact, 3 Takedown, Revenge, Dominator
Burnout: Paradise (Retail & Steam)

I'm omitting anything from the last century.

[quote name='LancerEvoX']Looking for some RPGs or cheap games. Any recommendations on Sacred 2 Gold or Drakensang?[/QUOTE]

Got the Breath of Death and Cthulu Pack?

[quote name='chapnis']So RACE 07 for $1.20, yea or nay?[/QUOTE]

Definitely give it a try at that price. It's a racing simulator not an arcade racer, it'll feel slower, braking is as important as IRL (as is traction management). And the AA/AFoptions are broken (I had to force from the Nvidia panel) -- road markings were looking pretty bad w/o AF.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']I'd get GuitarSmith, just need a guitar. Probably a pretty fun way to learn.[/QUOTE]

Also need a special cable as well...

Grimrock won the community vote?? Wtf people, it was just in a HIB, and has been on sale like 3 times at 75%, jeez. Which I knew Recettear was a long shot, oh well.

[quote name='lassiterb']Grimrock won the community vote?? Wtf people, it was just in a HIB, and has been on sale like 3 times at 75%, jeez. [/QUOTE]

:rofl: :applause:

[quote name='chapnis']So RACE 07 for $1.20, yea or nay?[/QUOTE]

That title (and ONLY that title amongst all the SimBin games on steam) is cheaper in the US store ($0.89).

I don't know why, and I know it's only 30 cents, but I wouldn't buy it in AU/NZ on general principle. :nottalking:

You can buy one of the packs that includes RACE 07 plus expansions (either RACE Injection or RACE ON Bundle) but then you're looking at over $5.

Personally I'm tempted to buy the whole collection for $23, I mean when you think about it, in the long run, I'm really saving money...

[quote name='lassiterb']Grimrock won the community vote?? Wtf people, it was just in a HIB, and has been on sale like 3 times at 75%, jeez. Which I knew Recettear was a long shot, oh well.[/QUOTE]

It's a shame, Recettear is pretty great. At least it's still half off.

[quote name='lassiterb']Grimrock won the community vote?? Wtf people, it was just in a HIB, and has been on sale like 3 times at 75%, jeez. Which I knew Recettear was a long shot, oh well.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, Recettear was the only one that was a good choice. Grimrock was part of HIB and Krator is already 75% off if you buy the 2 pack. I swear the general steam users are all morons. There must be some reason why a full cost retail game like far cry is still in the top 20. It can't be because of CAGs.

[quote name='rirath']
Picked up Gamemaker Studio: Standard while it was on the flash sale. Pro's ability add various output plugins is nice for growth, but just being able to output to Windows is a good start. If I end up really liking the software and wanting more export options, I won't consider the $17 a large loss if I need to rebuy Pro and a plugin or two some day.

Also picked up RPG Maker VX Ace earlier in the sale; these software deals have actually been some of the most exciting deals on Steam this year for me.[/QUOTE]

Describes my software shopping as well for this sale. =D

Was able to grab Hotline Miami last night, as well as Indigo Prophecy on GoG after reading people discussing it in the thread.

And tonight I've caught up with all the posts again! Woo! Just in time for people to list their hauls. I'll throw my list together Saturday.

[quote name='LancerEvoX']Looking for some RPGs or cheap games. Any recommendations on Sacred 2 Gold or Drakensang?[/QUOTE]

I absolutely adore Sacred 2. The character customization is incredible. If you enjoy slaughtering things for loot without a care for the story, it really is a great game.

[quote name='Woocls']Yeah, Recettear was the only one that was a good choice. Grimrock was part of HIB and Krator is already 75% off if you buy the 2 pack. I swear the general steam users are all morons. There must be some reason why a full cost retail game like far cry is still in the top 20. It can't be because of CAGs.[/QUOTE]

Co-signed. Also voted for Recettear because that would have been a price I could have gifted to my friends who don't own it already.

The fact that Spec Ops has already created so much discussion here says to me that it was successful in its aim. It would be the most recent game I'd add to my "games as art" argument if I were to ever make one on account of the way it engages the player in terms of choice and player agency and how it reflects on the medium as a whole.

As far as a pure game experience goes, very meh. It's a little short (though with the backlog, a game I can run through in 1 to 2 sittings is actually a plus in my book), ran through story on normal mode in about 4 and a half hours I think it was (a bit longer than actually logged I think due to a lot of deaths later on probably so let's say 5 and a half), but it's a pretty standard third person cover shooter. There's nothing really new or interesting from a gameplay perspective and actually a fair few annoyances, such as vault and melee being the same button drove me nuts on more than one occasion.

That being said, I put it in the same category as the likes of Killer 7 where the gameplay is mediocre (ok pretty bad actually in Killer 7's case) but the experience of the whole package is something I'd put on my must play list for anyone. 2.50 with the Amazon coupon is a no brainer... I failed as a CAG and got it for the 10.14 Steam put it on sale for since I had no use for more Bioshock. Still, I feel it was well worth the money and plan to bug any friends yet to play it to pick it up.

[quote name='Mighty Tor']
That being said, I put it in the same category as the likes of Killer 7 where the gameplay is mediocre (ok pretty bad actually in Killer 7's case) but the experience of the whole package is something I'd put on my must play list for anyone. 2.50 with the Amazon coupon is a no brainer.[/QUOTE]

I agree gameplay is meh but the setting and story the devs have portrayed is like wtfffffffff. and at the end of the game I actually felt something for the main character they did an amazing job portraying the other side of war. I left the game saying wtf..... not in a bad way.

I think Sanctum might be one of the upcoming Flash deals. I just got a pop-up from the Sanctum group (which I am a member of) that there was a new announcement on their blog about the development of Sanctum 2. While they were at it, they pointed out that Sanctum was now on sale for 66% off.

I've actually been keeping my eye on sanctum because I wanted to pick up the #2 Map pack DLC. I'm pretty sure that it's only been 50% off for the duration of the sale. Unfortunately, the DLC is still only 50% off, so I'm gonna have to continue waiting if this really what's coming in 80 minutes.

Should've just picked up that darn DLC during the Thanksgiving sale when it was 75% off. :(

[quote name='DPsycho']
And tonight I've caught up with all the posts again! Woo! Just in time for people to list their hauls. I'll throw my list together Saturday.[/QUOTE]

Man, I was just figuring out what I've spent this year, and I see what the real scheme is now - all these stores spread out the spending, and before you know it, that's a lot of dough. I was buying from Steam, GOG, GMG, GG, XBLA, PSN, iTunes, bundles, kickstarter...oof. I need to just play some games now. And my backlog is at least 70 items richer now, so hopefully I can at least sort through it and pick something to play before Summer Sale starts...

(Worst part is, I'm not even done yet. If nothing else, I still have to ditch some of these blue coins... )

UGH. Can't believe I missed GM Studio Standard flash sale. :cry:

Maybe it'll happen again before the end of the sale, but it's really doubtful..

Shesh... :(

[quote name='DPsycho']Describes my software shopping as well for this sale. =D

Was able to grab Hotline Miami last night, as well as Indigo Prophecy on GoG after reading people discussing it in the thread.

And tonight I've caught up with all the posts again! Woo! Just in time for people to list their hauls. I'll throw my list together Saturday.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Tsel']Alan Wake Collector's Edition is currently $4.38 at Gamersgate. Another price mistake, perhaps? That's lower than it's ever been on Steam IIRC. It's Steamworks, by the way.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-ALANWAKECE/alan-wake-collectors-edition[/QUOTE]
Bought. That's for sure a price mistake. It costs less than either normal version of Alan Wake or Collectors Edition upgrade.

I feel quite bad after buying it, because I'm still waiting for the rest of key from Bethesda packs, but my CAG instinct forced me to do this.

At this point, it's their own damn fault and I will not feel bad. If they haven't gotten their shit together by now, then I'm going to take full advantage of their mistakes.

So what was up with the 55 hour timer for CSgo at 25% yesterday morning? I was hoping SS3 would go on sale out of that, but the timer glitched and it stuck at CSGO, did any of the 3 games that were SUPPOSED to go on sale after CSgo, go on sale?

[quote name='poxi']Bought. That's for sure a price mistake. It costs less than either normal version of Alan Wake or Collectors Edition upgrade.[/QUOTE]

Ha, I hadn't even noticed that. It's currently 50% off ($14.98) for the regular edition and the CE upgrade is also 50% off @ $5. Clearly a price mistake. Looks like they applied the 50% discount 3 times.

Thanks to their continued ineptness, & some leftover Blue coins & the double IAMANELDERGEEK promo, I was able to pick it up for $1.90 out of pocket. :)

I've tried four times to purchase via mobile but Paypal is having a hissyfit. I've still got the "orders" marked as pending - when do they expire?

Good thing I bought 48 copies! Selling them for $15 bucks a pop!

Flash Deals:
Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 - $7.49
Ace of Spades - $4.99
Symphony - $3.39

At this point... with probably one day of new deals left I suppose it's futile to tell myself it'll get better. Lol @ this new wave of flash deals. Too many repeats, too many indie bundle type games getting repeats, not enough dailies, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back