The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jshackles']Thanks for the tip about Camelcamelcamel, never heard of it before but I'll have to check it out.

Besides sending Jake the $20 for the Strategy First Pack (and still not hearing from him in wherever it is he lives), my Steam sale purchases end with Sacred 2: Gold Edition.[/QUOTE]

I decided to wait on Sacred 2 gold... I have it on 360 and at only 50% off, I don't know that it's worth it for the PC expansion just yet.

[quote name='deftrance']I decided to wait on Sacred 2 gold... I have it on 360 and at only 50% off, I don't know that it's worth it for the PC expansion just yet.[/QUOTE]

Well it was either that or Coconut Queen (which, coincidentally, I've been eyeballing now - thanks a lot guys!) :lol:

[quote name='Tsel']I don't even like using the actual Steam client anymore because I'm so used to the extension.[/QUOTE]

Where can I find this extension everyone is talking about?

[quote name='Kaltic']Yes, but he is a guy with gameplay videos of indie titles with decent commentary. For example you can watch a gameplay video of a lot of indie games, but when say the mouse controls like Dark Souls you won't know that unless some says something.

I would say his opinion is not why he became so popular, but more so what type of service he provides.[/QUOTE]

Except that now I hear a lot of people saying 'Total Bisquit says it sucks' or 'Total Biscuit says it was good' moreso than I hear that he explained x y or z aspect of it, but that might just be the stupid masses boiling his reviews down to a binary yes/no answer that their lazy brains can process.

Although in the case of Dark Souls the Steam page explicitly says a controller is highly recommended. I suspect that was added after release due to lots of customer complaints.

I actually don't find the M+K controls problematic on Dark Souls -- only issue is the choppiness of the mouse-look/panning but I believe DSMFix solves that issue. Well, that and menus can be a bit of a pain the butt.

[quote name='Detruire']Your sig only shows every now and then. A limit of one time per page, maybe?

:whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think the boards only limit it to once per page... maybe it's their way of saying I talk too much? I dunno might have to check my settings.

So I lied about being done with the sale. Picked up Giana Sisters, Krater, and A Valley Without Wind 1+2.

Oh and Motoki sent me a copy of Coconut Queen. :)

[quote name='Tsel']Is the Daedalic bundle worth getting? I want all of the games within the bundle, but after spending $20 on the Strategy First bundle, it's hard to justify dropping $18 on a bundle with far less games, even if they are likely to be far better.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Woodlands']$18? It's showing up as $28 for me. I've been eyeing it also.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Tsel']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10357749&postcount=14280[/QUOTE]

I've been thinking about that bundle as well and $18 seems like a good price. I've seen that seller's name pop up here and there but I've never bought anything from him or really looked into it. Anybody have issues when buying from him?

[quote name='jshackles']Oh and Motoki sent me a copy of Coconut Queen. :)[/QUOTE] $2.50 (current sale price) is the lowest price it has ever gone on Steam.

Speaking of small little games. Puzzle Kingdoms is $1.50, made by the company that does Puzzle Quest. I got it for $1 back in 2010, and have logged over 40 hours into it.

[quote name='fore1337']$2.50 (current sale price) is the lowest price it has ever gone on Steam.

Speaking of small little games. Puzzle Kingdoms is $1.50, made by the company that does Puzzle Quest. I got it for $1 back in 2010, and have logged over 40 hours into it.[/QUOTE]

You talked me into snagging Quest and Kingdoms together. Le sigh. I'm going to bed. Night folks!

Today is my favorite day of the sale, because I always save my maybe interesting/shovelware/random dreck purchases until the end, and spend accordingly based on how much I spent during the main sale days. Extra frustrating this year with the constant cart timeouts, it took me three transactions to get my final day haul:

Poker Superstars II, Last Day of Work Complete Pack, Dracula Origin, Pyroblazer, Dark Sector (NA), Time of Shadows, Clones, Blue Toad Murder Files, Agricultural Simulator 2011, RACE 07 (NA), Drakensang: The River of Time, Drakensang: Phileasson's Secret, Naval Warfare, iBomber Bundle, Dead Hungry Diner, Penny Arcade's On the Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness 3, Foreign Legion Bundle, eXceed Complete Pack, Rotastic, Section 8, Hotel Giant 2, KrissX, Woody Two Legs, Dinner Date, Death and the Fly, Unstoppable Gorg, Fowl Space

Plus the MumboJumbo, Strategy First, and Farm Frenzy packs coming down the pipe. Saving grace, I picked up a copy of You Need A Budget 4, so next sale I can see how well I'm doing at keeping to my allotted amounts for Steam. :lol:

[quote name='fore1337']Speaking of small little games. Puzzle Kingdoms is $1.50, made by the company that does Puzzle Quest. I got it for $1 back in 2010, and have logged over 40 hours into it.[/QUOTE]
$0.99

[quote name='Genocidal']Today is my favorite day of the sale, because I always save my maybe interesting/shovelware/random dreck purchases until the end, and spend accordingly based on how much I spent during the main sale days. Extra frustrating this year with the constant cart timeouts, it took me three transactions to get my final day haul:

Poker Superstars II, Last Day of Work Complete Pack, Dracula Origin, Pyroblazer, Dark Sector (NA), Time of Shadows, Clones, Blue Toad Murder Files, Agricultural Simulator 2011, RACE 07 (NA), Drakensang: The River of Time, Drakensang: Phileasson's Secret, Naval Warfare, iBomber Bundle, Dead Hungry Diner, Penny Arcade's On the Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness 3, Foreign Legion Bundle, eXceed Complete Pack, Rotastic, Section 8, Hotel Giant 2, KrissX, Woody Two Legs, Dinner Date, Death and the Fly, Unstoppable Gorg, Fowl Space

Plus the MumboJumbo, Strategy First, and Farm Frenzy packs coming down the pipe. Saving grace, I picked up a copy of You Need A Budget 4, so next sale I can see how well I'm doing at keeping to my allotted amounts for Steam. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Dangit, now I have to go through all those games and see which ones I want!

[quote name='chapnis']Dangit, now I have to go through all those games and see which ones I want![/QUOTE]
I'd vote for Drakensang if you can get someone to buy it for you (it's only available on Steam in NA AFAIK.)

[quote name='chapnis']Is it worth getting Puzzle Kingdoms if I've already got Puzzle Quest: CotW[/QUOTE]

Nah. Puzzle Kingdoms is pretty crap. Played it for a few hours and it's nowhere near as fun as Puzzle Quest 1 and 2.

Picked up Iron Brigade since it never hit flash/daily.

Holy crap, I really like Iron Brigade already. 3rd person WW2 mech shooting action with tower defense strategy plus upgradeable mech weapons and turrets plus persistent leveling systems?

So, pretty much everything I like in these genres. Yes please.

[quote name='Mooby']Nah. Puzzle Kingdoms is pretty crap. Played it for a few hours and it's nowhere near as fun as Puzzle Quest 1 and 2.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, save me a dollar. Still going hard on PQ1 about 10 hours in :)

[quote name='doodofdoods']Legend of Fae- Yay or Nay?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/109200[/QUOTE]

Cute, well done, but gets f*****g hard later on. Certainly tempting, though.

Heard some comments about Inside A Star Filled Sky earlier. I played it briefly and wasn't blown away. Will reinstall it for a second look.

EDIT: Played IASFS for about 3 minutes. It just isn't fun. Save your dollar. (It feels really clunky, there's no real point to it, it's just not very good)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='chapnis']Is it worth getting Puzzle Kingdoms if I've already got Puzzle Quest: CotW[/QUOTE]

I liked Puzzle Kingdoms okay. I played about 10 hours or so. You can easily see the Puzzle Quest roots. It's a huge game, and you'll more than get your money's worth. Will you finish it? Maybe not, but I still found it fun.

do you need to play drakensang before river of time or can you start with river of time and still understand the story?

nevermind just found out its a prequel

[quote name='gamez79']do you need to play drakensang before river of time or can you start with river of time and still understand the story?[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, The River of Time is a prequel so, story-wise, you should be fine playing The Dark Eye first and then The River of Time to re-encounter some known characters and shed more light on the background lore.

I'm still bitter that The River of Time hasn't been released outside Germany, I'd really like to have them both on Steam... :whistle2:(

[quote name='Junpei']As far as I know, The River of Time is a prequel so, story-wise, you should be fine playing The Dark Eye first and then The River of Time to re-encounter some known characters and shed more light on the background lore.

I'm still bitter that The River of Time hasn't been released outside Germany, I'd really like to have them both on Steam... :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

thanks for the reply i'll probably get all of them

Half-Life and Episode 2 didn't go on the sale I expected so I'm disappointed with that, but now I can pick up some cheapies that prolly won't be in any humble bundles :D

So, I'm in middle of playing the first Trine, and I'm really, really enjoying it. I'd like to pick up Trine 2 to play when I finish the first, but I'm worried it may show up in a future Humble Bundle (like the first).

What do you guys think is the chance of that happening? Also is there any chance it gets bundled with the Goblin Menace DLC for $5 or less sometime in the near future?

[quote name='aronater']So, I'm in middle of playing the first Trine, and I'm really, really enjoying it. I'd like to pick up Trine 2 to play when I finish the first, but I'm worried it may show up in a future Humble Bundle (like the first).

What do you guys think is the chance of that happening? Also is there any chance it gets bundled with the Goblin Menace DLC for $5 or less sometime in the near future?[/QUOTE]

It's extremely likely to be in a Humble Bundle sometime this year, and may include the Goblin Menace DLC (they just recently started adding DLC to their bundles). If you want to play it right after finishing Trine 1, it may still be worth it if you've got 1 or 2 friends to play with, but it sucks that the DLC isn't 75% off so it may be best to wait for a bundle anyway.

[quote name='sunghost']It's extremely likely to be in a Humble Bundle sometime this year, and may include the Goblin Menace DLC (they just recently started adding DLC to their bundles). If you want to play it right after finishing Trine 1, it may still be worth it if you've got 1 or 2 friends to play with, but it sucks that the DLC isn't 75% off so it may be best to wait for a bundle anyway.[/QUOTE]

Ok, if that's the case I guess I'll hold off buying it now and wait. It's not like I don't have enough games to keep me occupied until then :). Thanks for the reply!

[quote name='Khamous']IN all honesty I'm not even sure why I check this topic anymore, it only makes me buy more games D:[/QUOTE]

I was just sitting here thinking I am going to miss the thread more than I'll miss the deals.

Everyone in this thread is pretty cool peoples. I guess there's always this summer. Maybe someone will release an ice fishing game that we can all force on each other.

[quote name='mac995555']So tempted by Walking Dead...[/QUOTE]
It'll be $7.5 on Amazon next week if you have an Editor's Choice coupon (which you should if you bought any digital download games off Amazon late last year.)

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm with everyone else about Legend of Fae. It tricks you into thinking it's going to be a light-hearted romp, but it eventually becomes very un-fun and tedious.[/QUOTE]

I'd say more hard than un-fun. I made the mistake of starting on hard and I'm stuck on level 30. And there are some levels that will cause you to curse. (fucking dragon eggs!) Very fast paced game in comparison to most match three games.

I'm debating Defender's Quest, what do people think about this game? Looks like a lot of fun but I'm wondering if $5 is too much for such a simple game.

If you guys want Drakensang on Steam in the non-US region I would highly suggest voting for it on Greenlight.

It's idiotic that Valve made them do that for a game already on Steam, but they are weird about giving the cold shoulder to publishers they don't have a history with.

[quote name='imac2much']I'm debating Defender's Quest, what do people think about this game? Looks like a lot of fun but I'm wondering if $5 is too much for such a simple game.[/QUOTE]

http://www.defendersquest.com/play_demo.html

It doesn't even require you to install because it's a web based demo.

I actually quite like it but I can't get past the nagging feeling it will be in a bundle someday.

[quote name='tham1988']?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure they have been 75% off in a past winter sale. 35% off is a pretty weak discount for Steam.

[quote name='Frithsblessing']Any of the Sleeping Dogs DLC worthwhile?[/QUOTE]

Most of it are outfits, small side quests, boosts xp, gives money from what I can tell. The only one I picked up was Nightmare in North Point which is an additional 1-2 hour story mission separate from your main play through. It's ok but not necessary.

[quote name='Motoki']
http://www.defendersquest.com/play_demo.html

It doesn't even require you to install because it's a web based demo.

I actually quite like it but I can't get past the nagging feeling it will be in a bundle someday.[/QUOTE]

Oh sweet! Thanks Motoki! The demo was pretty fun haha. You're right, it's probably going to be in a bundle sometime... I'll just keep it on my wishlist for now, I'm sure it'll be back on sale by summer anyway.

[quote name='tham1988']?[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen one, and the bundle for $13.00 is a pretty good deal. You're talking like $4.33 a game. (Repeating, of course.) I'd argue they're worth it if you don't want to wait til summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back