The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='fortunado']Just installed this ... man, Steam could really benefit from implementing some of these features.[/QUOTE]

I'm just glad people like the changes! :)

[quote name='KirbyLovesTacos']The Gaming Gods are firing back at me. After buying loads and loads of games I finally set aside some time this weekend to get started on all of them. So I wake up, realize I'm 5 hours away from the 1st playoff game so I got really excited to play Hitman Absolution, so I turn on the computer and...

Computer fails out of no where, power supply is broken.

images
[/QUOTE]

Hopefully it's just the power supply.

[quote name='tham1988']i can't get that steam sales site to work (i tried the replacing the numbers in the url thing)
can someone check the sale history for brothers in arms hells highway/ the brothers in arms collection for me please?[/QUOTE]

Brothers in Arms Pack
Lowest was $9.99 on two occasions. Last time it was $9.99 was on May 28 2011. $12.99 or $13.39 seems to be the sale prices over the past few years.

Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
Lowest was $5 on two occasions. Last time it was $5 was on May 28 2011. $6.49 or $6.69 seems to be the sale prices over the past few years.

[quote name='KirbyLovesTacos']The Gaming Gods are firing back at me. After buying loads and loads of games I finally set aside some time this weekend to get started on all of them. So I wake up, realize I'm 5 hours away from the 1st playoff game so I got really excited to play Hitman Absolution, so I turn on the computer and...

Computer fails out of no where, power supply is broken.

images
[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain. I've had computers/components die on me during three Steam sales now. Last time was Summer Sale 2011 when going for the Hoard cheevo for tickets. That game runs hot, especially in July, and it was suddenly new power supply time, all along with the feeling that I'm racing the clock.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']It looks like Star Wars (LucasArts) in general went to 75% off during last years winter sale. I just picked up The Force Unleashed at 50% off however, as I don't have a warm and fuzzy about Disney dropping the prices anytime soon. (Let alone keeping them on Steam.)[/QUOTE]

This is my concern too so I might just grab the bundle now ensuring that it will go down to 75% off before it is removed from Steam. :)

Thanks everyone for your responses to my question!

One of the things I'm wanting to add to the Enhanced Steam plugin (to follow with my love of color coding things) is highlighting games which you have coupons for.

[quote name='Motoki']Yes it's the last day, well really last hour now.

There will be a 'best of' sale today and tomorrow but no one is exactly sure which games will be on it so if you aren't sure, or want something that wasn't a flash or daily you better get it ASAP.[/QUOTE]
Greatest hits sale, so the sale isn't over today. I wanted Deadlight but I held off at 50% twice... maybe I should bite the bullet if it comes up again.

I felt this sale was really disappointing but like others it was probably mostly due to the fact that I already bought everything I wanted in prior sales. It could have been a great sale for people who are new to Steam, I don't know. A lot of the prices were worse than recent deals from Amazon and Greenman though.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']It looks like Star Wars (LucasArts) in general went to 75% off during last years winter sale. I just picked up The Force Unleashed at 50% off however, as I don't have a warm and fuzzy about Disney dropping the prices anytime soon. (Let alone keeping them on Steam.)[/QUOTE]
Considering they still have Split Second on Amazon and it's on sale no less. I'm not worried.

Last I checked, Disney isn't out to play Nazi with the Star Wars brand. They certainly didn't do that with Marvel or any other brand they own did they?

[quote name='forthenguyen']Also, is the Witcher 2 worth it at $7.50? I have a big backlog so I won't get to it right away, could wait if needed.

Alright, thanks![/QUOTE]

Is it worth it? Absolutely. Will it be hit $2.50 to $5.00 during the next Summer/Thanksgiving/Holiday Sale? Almost guaranteed.

My vote: wait if you're definitely not gonna play it anytime soon.

[quote name='The End']Brothers in Arms Pack
Lowest was $9.99 on two occasions. Last time it was $9.99 was on May 28 2011. $12.99 or $13.39 seems to be the sale prices over the past few years.

Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
Lowest was $5 on two occasions. Last time it was $5 was on May 28 2011. $6.49 or $6.69 seems to be the sale prices over the past few years.[/QUOTE]

thank you
looks like i'll go ahead and grab the pack for $12.99

[quote name='Ardrid']Is it worth it? Absolutely. Will it be hit $2.50 to $5.00 during the next Summer/Thanksgiving/Holiday Sale? Almost guaranteed.

My vote: wait if you're definitely not gonna play it anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

I'm fairly confident that Witcher 2 is going to be $7.50 on sale at best through this year. On the Steam storefront, anyway. It would take a change to the game's base price to get it lower and they seem to be doing pretty well as it is.

That said, I'm waiting. Still haven't played the original.

[quote name='Genocidal']Good man, I feel better not being the only one that picked this up.[/QUOTE]

It was my New Year's resolution to be more fiscally responsible, given the times and what not. I saw the demos and videos, saw 25% off and bought it and the phone app.

So far it's working. I decided to use savings and pay off my CC debt (was already almost there) and this allows me to better follow my spending. The free classes on the website are great, too.

I highly recommend it why it's still on sale. After two classes, I finally had everything sync'd. Felt good.

[quote name='Ardrid']Is it worth it? Absolutely. Will it be hit $2.50 to $5.00 during the next Summer/Thanksgiving/Holiday Sale? Almost guaranteed.

My vote: wait if you're definitely not gonna play it anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

I'm betting in future sales it'll be more like $7.50 for Witcher 2 + Witcher 1. I truly doubt it will get much lower then that.

[quote name='Genocidal']Dammit, knew there was a 4-pack I forgot to get in on. One more purchase! (I think that's the Sale equivalent of One more turn)
[/QUOTE]

Sad thing is... I don't know what the game is about, I just saw the 4pack and went "sure, why not" so that's one of the clearer examples of me just spending money, I guess I should get that budget software as well D:

Spent $0 in real money since I got Steam money from trade-ins:
Starwars Battlefront II
Starwars Republic Commando
Star Wars Starfighter
Evochron Mercenary
FTL: Faster Than Light
Skyrim Hearthfire
Half Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy
Dawn of War Franchise Pack
Legend of Grimrock

I got all my big purchases from other retailers:
XCOM:EU
Scribblenauts
Sonic Generations
Dark Souls
Spec Ops

Overall, the Steam sale was disappointing because they couldn't match their own previous sale prices. The Star Wars games and Sonic Generations never hit 75% like they had in other sales. But the DoW pack was an incredible deal.

Could be the publishers though for all we know.(Yes I know some stuff went for sale for less on other sites, but who knows how that all works. They could have specific deals or something IDK)

[quote name='utopianmachine']What? How many other games work with the coupon than are on that list?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...d_t=201&pf_rd_p=1447695782&pf_rd_i=B00A4MWX04[/QUOTE]

All of them.

Prices have changed and will change throughout January. Price matching yields the best results. Max Payne 3 was $10, some of the bundles were $5, SpecOps $2.50, etc. The Walking Dead will be $7.50 with the price match (and is also scheduled for that deal on Sunday).

[quote name='jshackles']lol kinda makes sense. I guess if Steam games were Pokemon, the ultimate legendary would be Kingdoms of Amalur[/QUOTE]

So all the lost games (James Bond franchise etc.) are those timed Pokemon events you only get over Wifi

[quote name='jshackles']lol kinda makes sense. I guess if Steam games were Pokemon, the ultimate legendary would be Kingdoms of Amalur[/QUOTE]

im really tempted to buy the collection for $80
im really worried it will get removed before it goes on sale

The coupons work ON games on that list, as the list is being added to throughout the month.

The confusion here is that (as I understand) tham1988 meant to report buying the game from Amazon in order to GAIN the coupon, not that a coupon was USED during said purchase.

[quote name='Cojack426']Um...I just bought Sleeping Dogs for $4.50 at 91%. Anyone else just do that?[/QUOTE]

Yup. Couldn't believe my eyes, pounced on it right away. After getting back to the store page it was back up to $16.99. Sweet.

[quote name='Cojack426']Um...I just bought Sleeping Dogs for $4.50 at 91%. Anyone else just do that?[/QUOTE]

I just managed the same. Thanks for the heads up.

Let's see whether it stays in my library.

[quote name='ddearce']Sleeping Dogs pricing mistake on steam, -91%[/QUOTE]

Just bought it.

Thanks steam for finally a price error :D

Thanks for the heads up. Grabbed a copy and ran!

and all the DLC was mine.... (and extra copies and guide and...and...and...)

edit: ...and in my frenzy I accidently bought the non-discounted DLC as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back