The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kendog1331']Thanks
I was trying to see a while ago, but I couldn't tell if the DLC was stand alone or not? Does anyone know?[/QUOTE]

The new DLC is a standalone expansion. It's releasing at $ 29.99 though, so even if you bought gold + that you'd save over the $ 49.99 tag on the complete version.

I might bite....still. Have a few hours to decide.

[quote name='warreni']RE: Star Wars
If you've never played the KOTOR games, you should; even as buggy as KOTOR 2 is, these are some fantastic RPGs.[/QUOTE]

KOTOR 2 is supposed to be MUCH better with the restored content mod. It puts everything back in that was cut out for release, and expands the story a bit. That said both KOTOR games have always been slightly buggy on all platforms - but it's easy to look past because they're solid games. Especially the first one - the first one is just wow.

Apparently both the Force Unleashed games are 30 FPS locked on PC, and shoddy ports. Although the FPS can be unlocked with a patch. They're also crazy large files because it duplicates reused data for every level... Which is a shame because regardless of what anyone says I loved those damn games - well the second is so-so, but the first one was a ton of fun.

[quote name='Das_Regal']I'm considering Dark Messiah, but I'm not sure if it's worth it considering how old it is.[/QUOTE]
It is. Such a fun game.

[quote name='akmgmer']Was about to point that out as well, might be a good time to pick the few I'm missing that I've been interested in.

I was going to recommend the Jedi Knight Collection to everyone but it is not on sale as far as I can see. Individual games are on sale however.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/25772/[/QUOTE]

Yes what is up with that? I was all excited to finally get the JK collection. From earlier discussion it sounds like maybe I can skip Mysteries of the Sith although it is only a buck.

Can't speak for the quality of the PC port, but I had a ball with the Force Unleashed 1 on PS3. It never got old making use of the variety of powers, tossing enemies and objects to and fro, force choking, etc. The game makes you feel very powerful. I also don't understand the hate on the story or the voice acting, I thought the story and characters were much better than anything in the 3 prequel movies and it ties in nicely with the start of the Original Trilogy. I never played any of the DLC.

[quote name='Palinn']Yes what is up with that? I was all excited to finally get the JK collection. From earlier discussion it sounds like maybe I can skip Mysteries of the Sith although it is only a buck.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps I am in the minority, but Mysteries of the Sith was more enjoyable to me. It was a bit shorter of an experience but I felt that it was more focused and generally better designed in terms of levels and flow.

Maybe my mind is remembering it incorrectly though seeing as how I did beat the games roughly 2-3 years ago.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']CheapyD starts a new one each sale but I think people are still getting used to GF being a good place for PC deals:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342683[/QUOTE]

Ah thanks. I'm far too lazy (and there are far too many console peasant threads) to constantly look for new threads. I feel there is far more value in a single thread for a store.

GF is occasionally good, usually when good price + 20% (single use) coupon. Any notable deals I'll see on SD or cheapshark.

[quote name='louiedog']Today's deal is the Fallout Collection at 66% off ($6.79)
At $3.39 each it includes:
Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel[/QUOTE]

The GOG versions run flawlessly for me but the Steam versions don't. Something to consider.

[quote name='M_F_A_H']The GOG versions run flawlessly for me but the Steam versions don't. Something to consider.[/QUOTE]

Many probably have the first game from when it was free on, and the other two have been $2.99 each before from GOG. For some who don't care about having them on Steam, waiting for that price to come around again may be worth it.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']GF being a good place for PC deals:[/QUOTE]

They've had some decent deals recently, the Darkness 2 / Spec Ops pack was solid. That Xcom/Civ pack is a good price. The only thing with GF is they're not always specific about what DRM is used, and they have their own DRM as well. It USUALLY says if the title is Steam/Origin/Uplay, etc - but not always - of course you can make assumptions based on publisher. I really wish they were clearer on that, and consistent with where the notification is - and for some reason they almost never point out GFWL DRM which is arguably the worst form of DRM (aside from maybe SecuROM limited installs).

[quote name='Das_Regal']I'm considering Dark Messiah, but I'm not sure if it's worth it considering how old it is.[/QUOTE]

BUY IT!!! :pray:

So how's the online community for Battlefront 2? I'm not into the Star Wars movies but I've enjoyed most of the games I've played to an extent, kinda always wanted to try the Battlefront games on PS2 but never got around to it. Is the online portion still pretty active, and more importantly, is it only the elite left online at this point (a problem I'm running into with most older games I'm starting)?

General reminder that Interplay loses the rights to sell Fallout oldies in 6 months or so. Get them from somewhere if you're interested in them while you can. It's unclear if Bethesda will do anything with them.

Hmm, many updates to Double Fine's games in SteamDB including OSX & Linux versions - there's some speculation that a Double Fine Humble Bundle is due...

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']Steam is being sleazy; the Star Wars collection went up to $50.[/QUOTE]

I hope Jake got my copy in time. :cry:

[quote name='seamoss']Hmm, many updates to Double Fine's games in SteamDB including OSX & Linux versions - there's some speculation that a Double Fine Humble Bundle is due...[/QUOTE]

The next Indie Royale is also called the "Double Bundle". I know the titles of their bundles rarely have anything to do with the contents, but I'm just putting it out there.

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']Steam is being sleazy; the Star Wars collection went up to $50.[/QUOTE]

Oh that is sleazy. I wonder if it's a mistake though... The banner still says 66% off and all of the games are individually 66% off.

[quote name='jshackles']Oh that is sleazy. I wonder if it's a mistake though... The banner still says 66% off and all of the games are individually 66% off.[/QUOTE]

Weekend Deal
66% off each title in the Star Wars Franchise or 50% off the already low priced bundled collection!

Offer ends Monday at 10am Pacific Time.

[quote name='spoderman']The next Indie Royale is also called the "Double Bundle". I know the titles of their bundles rarely have anything to do with the contents, but I'm just putting it out there.[/QUOTE]

And the NinjaBee bundle was called "The Ninja Lightning Pack."

ninjapack-or8.png

The name and timing makes sense for Double Fine in the next IR, but with their existing relationship, the loose cross-platform requirement, and the much higher sales of HIB, I have a hard time seeing them go that route. I will anxiously await what happens. We live in truly exciting times.

[quote name='louiedog']The name and timing makes sense for Double Fine in the next IR, but with their existing relationship, the loose cross-platform requirement, and the much higher sales of HIB, I have a hard time seeing them go that route. I will anxiously await what happens. We live in truly exciting times.[/QUOTE]

More to the point, Double Fine has had some close relationships to HIB, so I don't see why they would move down in the world to IR.

[quote name='spoderman']The next Indie Royale is also called the "Double Bundle". I know the titles of their bundles rarely have anything to do with the contents, but I'm just putting it out there.[/QUOTE]

I think Double Fine already has way too strong a connection with Humble for that to be very plausible.

The only updates I see RE: Double Fine linux are Costume Quest and Stacking (Psychonauts already having one). So not exactly the most exciting bundle if it exists, as I imagine the average deal hunter probably has those. I'd wager more on them simply being involved in a HIB, with maybe one of the titles being a BTA rather than having a dedicated one made for them.

Edit: Brutal Legend is there too, but not nearly as updated as those two. So maybe. Could just be Double Fine showing support for the platform similar to Valve. They're usually so slow with things though that'd be impressed if they managed to port Brutal this quick.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Corpekata']The only updates I see RE: Double Fine linux are Costume Quest and Stacking (Psychonauts already having one). So not exactly the most exciting bundle if it exists, as I imagine the average deal hunter probably has those. I'd wager more on them simply being involved in a HIB, with maybe one of the titles being a BTA rather than having a dedicated one made for them.[/QUOTE]

We're definitely due for a numbered Humble.

[quote name='Corpekata']The only updates I see RE: Double Fine linux are Costume Quest and Stacking (Psychonauts already having one). So not exactly the most exciting bundle if it exists, as I imagine the average deal hunter probably has those. [/QUOTE]
I've been waiting on a good deal on Stacking. It looks interesting but I'm fairly confident I'll play it twice, maybe three times and then get distracted so I haven't been willing to pay $10 or even $5 for it. I'll buy it in a bundle though.

[quote name='Syntax Error']I've been waiting on a good deal on Stacking. It looks interesting but I'm fairly confident I'll play it twice, maybe three times and then get distracted so I haven't been willing to pay $10 or even $5 for it. I'll buy it in a bundle though.[/QUOTE]

Sucks that you missed when Stacking was free on Raptr ;)

Yeah wth is up with the price change?

I bought BF2, Force Unleashed 1, and Republic Commando last night for 13.57. Might grab the Jedi Knight games but I have the disc somewhere for a total of $20.35. I still couldnt justify paying another $14 for the rest of the games (Already have KOTOR 1/2). If I could gift off my extra KOTORs then yeah, but I dont really care to pay 14 for a couple dated $1-2 games, Clone Wars game, Empire at War and definitely not TFU2.

Anyone here using the 360 Wireless Speed Wheel? I'm in the process of modding the LEDs, major pain in the arse, much harder than any controller I've ever done. It's like they designed the thing to not be taken apart ... anyway I've never really used the thing before and I was replacing the LEDs in the top end caps, they're bi-color LEDs (Green/Yellow). I've never seen yellow when I've turned it on, just green. I assumed it changed to yellow when you bump something or something like that. Now that I have one side replaced with a red/blue one and I turn it on I'm getting purple instead of just red, the red side is on the original's green side. So anyway my question is if under normal use does this thing turn green and yellow at different times? All the videos I've seen make it look like it's just green, I was really surprised to see bi-color LEDs in there.

[quote name='hollowfreak']Anyone here using the 360 Wireless Speed Wheel? I'm in the process of modding the LEDs, major pain in the arse, much harder than any controller I've ever done. It's like they designed the thing to not be taken apart ... anyway I've never really used the thing before and I was replacing the LEDs in the top end caps, they're bi-color LEDs (Green/Yellow). I've never seen yellow when I've turned it on, just green. I assumed it changed to yellow when you bump something or something like that. Now that I have one side replaced with a red/blue one and I turn it on I'm getting purple instead of just red, the red side is on the original's green side. So anyway my question is if under normal use does this thing turn green and yellow at different times? All the videos I've seen make it look like it's just green, I was really surprised to see bi-color LEDs in there.[/QUOTE]

I've had it for awhile, can't remember if I have ever seen it go yellow.

[quote name='Izod517']Seamoss!

You need to change your avatar:

CR2032.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Let me guess - a CMOS joke, right? ;) I get them all the time...

[quote name='IGN Mega Man']I've had it for awhile, can't remember if I have ever seen it go yellow.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that's what I'm afraid of ... ugh, I don't want purple everything's red, the PC, the 360 wireless receiver, the 360 controller, everything. :lol: Black and Red. I don't even think I can get red/red ones ... I'll try just hooking up a red one. Thanks again.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Are there ever. This one based on Mass Effect is one I got pretty excited about a while ago but never got around to trying it out. Large Turian and Geth armies battling it out sounds pretty damn sweet.[/QUOTE]
Awesome! Nice find.

The mod I linked brings all the Battlefront 1 maps into it (makes BF1 pretty pointless to have) as well as a number of others, but most of all... it adds the KoTOR era as an option for troops. It also adds like 40 something heroes in, most of which are KoTOR heroes, so you can play as Bastila, Malak, Mission, and even some obscure ones like Calo Nord. So cool. :D

[quote name='Izod517']Apparently both the Force Unleashed games are 30 FPS locked on PC, and shoddy ports. Although the FPS can be unlocked with a patch. They're also crazy large files because it duplicates reused data for every level... Which is a shame because regardless of what anyone says I loved those damn games - well the second is so-so, but the first one was a ton of fun.[/QUOTE]
In your defense, the first one was better.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Can't speak for the quality of the PC port, but I had a ball with the Force Unleashed 1 on PS3. It never got old making use of the variety of powers, tossing enemies and objects to and fro, force choking, etc. The game makes you feel very powerful. I also don't understand the hate on the story or the voice acting, I thought the story and characters were much better than anything in the 3 prequel movies and it ties in nicely with the start of the Original Trilogy. I never played any of the DLC.[/QUOTE]
The "power" thing was a big reason I hated the story. Basically, throw some money at Lucas, and he'll accept anything as canon. The idea of Vader's "secret" apprentice who can bring a fucking star destroyer out of orbit with the force spits in the face of the entire Star Wars universe. They overdid it with the CRAZY FORCE POWERS LOL thing.

Besides that, I just didn't enjoy the story, although the first one was notably better than the second. Still, repetitive combat killed it for me. Hey, there's another big droid enemy! Time to button mash and do some QTEs!... and watch the same exact cinematic over and over again. Not to mention most of the "tough" enemies in the game force you to use the "grapple" move to finish them quickly... which, unsurprisingly, is the EXACT same cinematic every time. Really? They couldn't make more than one cinematic for grapple kills? Two would have been nice.

The second one was more plagued with this iirc, but the gameplay between the two was still largely similar.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Probably buried in the Gamefly thread but:

http://www.gamefly.com/Download-Son...-All-Stars-Racing-Transformed-Bundle/5005771/

For $12 after coupon

http://www.gamefly.com/Download-Firaxis-Pack/5005825/

For $16 after coupon (includes Civ 5 and X-Com EU)[/QUOTE]
Sonic price is nice, but that Firaxis pack sucks. Base Civ V for $8 is not a good deal. GMG had a better deal with the Space Jam Bundle (XCOM and NBA 2K13 for $16).

[quote name='Luriden']So how's the online community for Battlefront 2? I'm not into the Star Wars movies but I've enjoyed most of the games I've played to an extent, kinda always wanted to try the Battlefront games on PS2 but never got around to it. Is the online portion still pretty active, and more importantly, is it only the elite left online at this point (a problem I'm running into with most older games I'm starting)?[/QUOTE]
I just hopped on and there's still tons of servers going, and about 3-4 full ones (20-30+ people). So, still going strong!

[quote name='asheskitty']More to the point, Double Fine has had some close relationships to HIB, so I don't see why they would move down in the world to IR.[/QUOTE]
Right, it's like banging Mila Kunis, then saying "Hmm, I wonder how flexible Ellen DeGeneres is."

In the extended Universe Starkiller isn't THAT overpowered. In the EU, in time Luke effectively becomes a god, ancient Sith devour entire planets. But for his time period, yeah it's redonk. If he could bring down a Star Destroyer he could have literally crushed Vader (who isn't all that powerful really, when compared to the rest of the EU, and older Sith). The EU has always been a bit cray-cray with power though. If they had toned it back just a bit, it would have fit better.

[quote name='Izod517']Vader (who isn't all that powerful really, when compared to the rest of the EU, and older Sith). [/QUOTE]

His PR guy is phenomenal, though.

[quote name='Izod517']In the extended Universe Starkiller isn't THAT overpowered. In the EU, in time Luke effectively becomes a god, ancient Sith devour entire planets. But for his time period, yeah it's redonk. If he could bring down a Star Destroyer he could have literally crushed Vader (who isn't all that powerful really, when compared to the rest of the EU, and older Sith). The EU has always been a bit cray-cray with power though. If they had toned it back just a bit, it would have fit better.[/QUOTE]
Perhaps he just siphoned the star destroyer's gas tank with the force. ;)

"Status report!"
"Sir, we seem to be out of gas."
"All hands, ABANDON SHIP! We're going down!"

[quote name='plft']It is. Such a fun game.[/QUOTE]

In Arkane Studios, I trust.

Arx Fatalis = really good and underrated.
Dark Messiah = good and underated.
Dishonored = great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back