The WWE Is Entertainment Not Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Hall didn't relapse and is going to be okay. I've been a fan of his for (what feels like) forever.

Here's a pretty good recent profile article on Superstar Billy Graham. I didn't know how messed up the guy was. He seems like a typical scam artist.

That whole hall thing looked very very sad. Why they even had him walk to the ring disgusts me...

I still am a fan though regardless of this recent incident. Wish the best to him and his family.

That article on Graham a good epilogue to his (excellent) book. I'm sure you can get his book pretty cheap now, it's definitely worth a read.

[quote name='Blackout']Here's a pretty good recent profile article on Superstar Billy Graham. I didn't know how messed up the guy was. He seems like a typical scam artist.[/QUOTE]

He's a broken down old man who never owned up to his mistakes and has always tried to take shortcuts. He also seems to be a pathological liar. I have no sympathy for him at all.

Lots of good HBK content on WWEClassics.com this month, including a title defense on Raw in 2002 against RVD that I had completely forgotten about. Kinda sad that they didn't put up the match w/ Shelton Benjamin from Raw a few years ago w/ the epic SCM moment.

[quote name='neocisco']He's a broken down old man who never owned up to his mistakes and has always tried to take shortcuts. He also seems to be a pathological liar. I have no sympathy for him at all.[/QUOTE]

Yup.

This made me laugh:

Schwarzenegger would invite Wayne to invest in Gold's Gym a decade later, but Wayne instead took his money and commissioned a painting of himself holding a tiger by its leash in outer space, with a Star Wars-esque "Superstar" spelled out in the foreground.

Kevin Nash is apparently going to be taking care of Hall from this point forward (or until further notice). Also, some messages from his twitter:

Scott is in the hospitial up north,I'll be at the airport when he lands and taking him to my home when he lands.
Please don't judge Scott on what you just saw.He would give any of you a kidney
to the motherfuckers that made a joke who would want his kidney lol send me your address and lets see how funny it is
he's my brother we will get through this.To Scotts fans thank you 4 your love you're as special as he is
Hall's publicist is also claiming that his condition has nothing to do with alcohol, nor is it an overdose.

The Hall thing is staggeringly disappointing but better this than another Benoit. Yeah, they're sort of different but I still see Hall as a guy who wants help and hopefully Nash is there to give it. Benoit may or may not have realized that he needed help but he certainly didn't get any and well, you know...

I found the new-ish UT DVD for $10 at Walmart yesterday. They had the Rock one too but I already had that. Three cheers for WWE oversaturating the market with DVDs.

EDIT - I have this hilarious vision in my head of Nash showing up on some internet shit-talker's doorstep, grabbing the kid ala Jay and Silent Bob and just powerbombing him off the porch.

[quote name='Halo05']If I was wealthy and otherwise the same guy I am, I'd totally drop the 5k to have Foley mow my lawn.[/QUOTE]
Reminds me of just a couple of months back when 50 Cent was offering to plow people's driveways.

[quote name='mykevermin']She has to learn how to entertainment.[/QUOTE]Entertainment Kong, here we come.

[quote name='mitch079']Is Foley in shape enough to mow a lawn?[/QUOTE]
Tune in to Reaction to find out!

Just found this "gem" on Echo Bridge Entertainment's Facebook and just had to share it....

jackboys.jpg

Angel Rivera and his friends have found that the best way to handle drug dealers is to beat them at their own game. But when they go too far with the local drug dealer, Angel’s mom and sister are brutally murdered. In retaliation, Angel decides to go after the drug gang one by one until only the Drug Lord remains.

Starring Dave Batista (Wrong Side of Town)

[quote name='Halo05']The Hall thing is staggeringly disappointing but better this than another Benoit. Yeah, they're sort of different but I still see Hall as a guy who wants help and hopefully Nash is there to give it. Benoit may or may not have realized that he needed help but he certainly didn't get any and well, you know...

EDIT - I have this hilarious vision in my head of Nash showing up on some internet shit-talker's doorstep, grabbing the kid ala Jay and Silent Bob and just powerbombing him off the porch.[/QUOTE]

People just need to lay off Hall and let the man try to better himself cause we all have things we deal with but his is just in the public eye.

That is my favorite part of the movie.

I'm torn on Hall. On one hand, his lack of muscle control didn't strike me as the sort of thing that happens even with severe alcohol poisoning - perhaps there is some credence to the claim that his pharmaceuticals are poorly interacting with each other. That's not out of the realm of possibility.

But why did he go to the ring that night? Was it ego? Was it the pressure to get paid? If so, for what? So he could buy something he doesn't need? so he could afford his meds? There's a lot of missing context there.

He went out to a wrestling event like that, and he knows that's a public venue. He knew it was being filmed for a PPV (that, let's face it, nobody was going to buy in the first place). At some point, he has to accept responsibility.

Shameful thing is the only people buying the PPV now will be those looking for better quality video of the car wreck that was Hall that night. I sympathize for the guy, but he's not entirely blameless here - even if it's his meds interacting poorly, he still went out to the ring that night.

Let's face it... regardless of whether Hall is healthy and sober, or ill and relapsing, the guy has no business being in a ring. I'm tired of seeing these washed-up former pros trying to make a buck... when in all actuality, they are nowhere near a physical or mental condition to work a legit match. If you want to slap a "name" on your indy show in hopes of making a buck... fine. Just don't throw these broken old bastards in the ring. Have them sign autographs and pose for photos.

I'm not condoning all older wrestlers. Some of the guys can still go (i.e. Taker, Corino, Sting).

I'm curious how this entrance would have looked if it had worked..

-- WWE originally planned for Triple H to ride a Clydesdale horse to the ring for his match against The Undertaker at WrestleMania XXVII. During a test run, the horse fell through the trap door on the WrestleMania stage, with Hunter riding it. The horse was spooked and went wild. Plans for the ring entrance were immediately scrapped.

I feel for the guy. I saw the vid when it first came out. Looks like the guy is having a stroke. I hope for his sake he is clean and stays clean. Does anyone know if he has used heroin in the past? In the vid he looks like he is coming down.

[quote name='diddy310']I'm curious how this entrance would have looked if it had worked..[/QUOTE]

I would be more concerned by the likelihood that the horse would defecate on the way to the ring. Nothing puts a damper on things like horseshit.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']Let's face it... regardless of whether Hall is healthy and sober, or ill and relapsing, the guy has no business being in a ring. I'm tired of seeing these washed-up former pros trying to make a buck... when in all actuality, they are nowhere near a physical or mental condition to work a legit match. If you want to slap a "name" on your indy show in hopes of making a buck... fine. Just don't throw these broken old bastards in the ring. Have them sign autographs and pose for photos.

I'm not condoning all older wrestlers. Some of the guys can still go (i.e. Taker, Corino, Sting).[/QUOTE]

Corino has really adjusted his style in a way that's magnificent. I don't think he's all that old, really (late 30s, perhaps?).

So many of these guys retire and hit the convention circuit, though. Promoters book them because the hee-haw yokels who love pro wrestling won't go see an indy show, but they will come out to see a "star." I only went to a few Heartland Wrestling Association shows in my life before WWF made them a developmental group and shipped off 15+ WCW guys there (not that I was starstruck to see "Reno" wrestle entertainment, mind you). After that, I went each week - $3 ain't bad. So the promoters have financial incentive to bring in name guys, otherwise the house is going to be shit and they'll make substantially less money, or worse, take a loss.

Now, to be fair, you could say "well, Scott Hall clearly has no place in the ring, so hire some of the guys WWE shitcans - a Luke Gallows (who is hilarious on Colt Cabana's podcast, as I think KaneRobot pointed out), for example - he's young and still has a career in front of him." I'd agree that you can put "names" on your card without exploiting the elderly.

So promoters want to mitigate their risk, so that's understandable. Wrestlers aren't smart people, on the whole. I'm sure D'Lo Brown's past as a CPA meant he has been very sensible with his money, but for every D'Lo there are dozens of dropouts and people with little in the way of life/career skills. Superstar Billy Graham lives in an extended stay motel, FFS. So he has to make money somehow, and if there's still a mark that will pay for his painting, or his Hall of Fame ring, then god bless the free market.

Several weeks back I was having lunch in a Wendys, and saw this guy who couldn't have been under 65, walking around the dining room and bussing tables, wiping them clean and removing garbage. I'll be up front where I say I was damn near choked up seeing this guy. He had limited mobility, moved incredibly slowly (not deliberately, but like his body simply couldn't put up with it any more). Lest you think he was one of those retirees who takes a job to be social, he never said a word in the 20 minutes or so we were in there - and his eyes. Man, his facial expression was just soulless. One of those people who had clearly just abandoned any hope and enjoyment in life, and lacked the will to kill himself. Now, I'm surely extrapolating far too much from watching a single dude wipe down tables over a 20 minute time frame - but you've seen people like that before. No hope, no happiness, just going through the motions, waiting to die.

I don't want that for anybody. And if someone like a Billy Graham or a Scott Hall can make money at a show, making themselves happier and making some two-digit IQ ham-n-egger happier, more power to everyone involved. How many of us really know, in depth, about Hall's day to day condition? We had no idea, honestly, until word came out that he wasn't going to WM weekend. A reasonable conclusion from him wanting to avoid temptation is that he got clean and wanted to stay that way - not that he's having significant health problems.

anyway, I'm rambling now. I see your point, but I also see the other side of the coin.

[quote name='silentevil']I feel for the guy. I saw the vid when it first came out. Looks like the guy is having a stroke.[/QUOTE]

I thought this, too - again, his muscle control/motor skills are virtually nonexistent. If he's on 10 meds, there's a good chance that somewhere interaction problems occur.

damn, scott hall looked like he had a stroke or something. you'd think with all the friends that love him, he'd stop doing this shit... Vince should be sending him to rehab.

[quote name='dkreegz515']Vince should be sending him to rehab.[/QUOTE]

It's not exactly that simple. Vince doesn't own him. Hall has been to rehab already on his own.

R.I.P. Larry Sweeney. :cry:

I actually had the opportunity to talk to Larry a few times when he worked for a now gone indie wrestling school in my area. Despite his character he played on shows he was a pretty relaxed guy in person. Its sad to hear that he committed suicide since he never seemed like that. He really had the potential to be the modern Bobby Heenan as well.

That's a goddamn shame about Larry Sweeney. Took his own life after battling bipolar disorder at the age of 29.

Chris Hero remembers Larry Sweeney.

"We lost a dedicated friend and an overwhelmingly talented performer this morning," he wrote. "Alex Whybrow aka 'Sweet & Sour' Larry Sweeney has passed.

"We spent a few yrs together on the road & Alex was gifted beyond measure. He could enthrall you with colorful stories from his personal life or he could captivate thousands with his undeniable charisma. I loved him & my heart is with his family, friends & his countless fans. First he was my student & he transcended that almost immediately. I will forever cherish our in depth conversations & time spent together. Love you man. Miss you. Rest in Peace."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_ZjnDTepHc

[quote name='JJSP']That's a goddamn shame about Larry Sweeney. Took his own life after battling bipolar disorder at the age of 29.

[/QUOTE]

That's really sad to hear. RIP.

I'm sure Hall is in a fragile state right now, but eventually he's going to have to get to the point that he can be around the things that tempt him and still resist them, or he'll never be able to live his life.

Wow that sucks about Larry Sweeney. Sweet and Sour Inc was one of the things that captured my attention and made me watch ROH. RIP :(

[quote name='BlueSwim']"Sweet & Sour" Larry Sweeney has passed away.[/QUOTE]

What the hell? This is seriously one that came out of nowhere for me.

Dude was an awesome manager in this age where managers in wrestling are an endangered species. He had a very old-school Jimmy Hart/Jim Corette air about him. I always wanted to see him get picked up by WWE. I think he could have done wonders there.

RIP :(

Former Indy Wrestling Star, Larry Sweeney passed away at the young age of 29. Sweeney died from hanging himself at a wrestling school in Lake Charles, LA either this morning or late last night.

Goddamn :cry:

From what I heard, he hung himself from one of the ring posts.

Such a shocking loss. Larry was amazing. I'm honestly reeling from the news...and I cannot come up with words that explain exactly how I feel right now.

Can't believe it. Was a huge fan of this guy. Especially in ROH with Sweet n' Sour Inc. I knew he had biploar disorder, but I, and I'm guessing many, many people didn't knw it was this bad.

That is sad news indeed, but when presented with the news his name was met with a resounding "who?". Perhaps I'm missing something by not watching RoH.

[quote name='mykevermin']I'm sure D'Lo Brown's past as a CPA meant he has been very sensible with his money, but for every D'Lo there are dozens of dropouts and people with little in the way of life/career skills.[/QUOTE]

Actually, D'Lo had some financial issues when he foolishly invested in an ownership stake for an indoor football league team in my hometown of Springfield, Illinois. This was ebfore his brief WWE return.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Stallions

Loved Sweeney's act in ROH - he was definitely the best manager of the past decade, and easily the last present-era hope of managers being a big deal again in a major league group. The news of his passing in and of itself isn't surprising given his mental problems, but the nature of his death certainly is - who could have predicted him hanging himself off a ringpost?

Well that's just dumb. Apparently Tough Enough's regular time is going to be before Raw, not after, so I missed tonight's episode. They are showing Tough Enough again after Raw but its a repeat of last week's premiere. Brilliant programming choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back