Photo
- - - - -

PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

• Please log in to reply
2763 replies to this topic

#2461 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

The Eternal Second Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:58 AM

My PS3 40 gig HD is full. I plan to use my PS3 online, but I have never connected or made an account.

If I delete the "saved games data" will it mess up my game saves?

More importantly will my trophies be OK?

ok wait what?

your trophies will be fine. I'm not even sure you CAN delete your trophy data. Don't delete your game saves. delete your GAME DATA not your SAVED DATA.

Gamedata is all the stuff like game updates and harddrive installs and stuff. Save Data is your progress. Save data barely takes up any space.

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
:wii: Bully - :ps3: Outland
Posted Image
Spoiler

#2462 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:02 AM

ok wait what?

your trophies will be fine. I'm not even sure you CAN delete your trophy data. Don't delete your game saves. delete your GAME DATA not your SAVED DATA.

Gamedata is all the stuff like game updates and harddrive installs and stuff. Save Data is your progress. Save data barely takes up any space.

Ok Thank you! I have only played 6 or 7 games, so I figured I could wipe the Gamedata, but I wanted to double check before I do it.

#2463 dbrev42

dbrev42

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:35 AM

I am looking to buy one of those headsets with surround sound and a mic. Ive been looking at the turtle beach ones, are those any good? any suggestions? Thanks! 8-)

#2464 option.iv

option.iv

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:30 AM

NO, do not get Turtle Beach. I've bought two on the same pair of DPX21 and returned both promptly. They pick up noise easily from computers and when hooked up to the PS3, there is still background noise, especially when there are moments of no sound.

test.gif

#2465 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

The Eternal Second Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:47 AM

Ok Thank you! I have only played 6 or 7 games, so I figured I could wipe the Gamedata, but I wanted to double check before I do it.

no problem check it out before you do anything. When you 'hover' on say your infamous saves it shows you your progress. when you over on your Haze install data it says "Install data" the former is a few thousand KB and the later is almost 2 gigs.

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
:wii: Bully - :ps3: Outland
Posted Image
Spoiler

#2466 dbrev42

dbrev42

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:18 PM

NO, do not get Turtle Beach. I've bought two on the same pair of DPX21 and returned both promptly. They pick up noise easily from computers and when hooked up to the PS3, there is still background noise, especially when there are moments of no sound.

whats a good to get then? thanks!
Posted Image

#2467 option.iv

option.iv

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:44 PM

I can't really say which is best. But overall, gaming headsets are very gimmicky. Although they focus on chatting and sound location, sound quality suffers.

The only other options that meet your requests would be triton ax720 or astro mixamp w headset.

Personally, I haven't tried the ax720s. There have been mixed reviews and reports of breaking down, but overall greater amount of positive ones. I do have the astro mixamp (older version). Sound quality is as good as you can get with Dolby Headphone (virtual surround sound), and there is no noise issue at least with my Sony MDR 7506 headphones until you crank the sound to the maximum volume levels. Though the major con is the extremely high price tag.

test.gif

#2468 Sinistar

Sinistar

Bob's my uncle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:45 PM

Hey can someone add a FAQ to the PlayStation Plus to this thread or OP?

I was thinking about doing 3 months subscription (or just buying the 3 month PlayStation Plus card at Best Buy) but a co-worker said if you cancel subscription then you lose access to all your stuff..
Does that include the extra crap you buy with discounts from the store, or just the free games and demos?

Also do they still have the dead if you buy a year do you get the 3 months free?
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also check my GameFly Referral link here ;)

#2469 dbrev42

dbrev42

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:22 AM

ended up gettin these bad boys.. http://www.bestbuy.c...8&skuId=9466133 , all i can saw is AWEEESOME!! haha
Posted Image

#2470 Sinistar

Sinistar

Bob's my uncle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:27 PM

Found a PlayStation Plus FAQ if anyone's interested :)
http://blog.us.plays...ation-plus-faq/
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also check my GameFly Referral link here ;)

#2471 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:06 PM

I'm trying to enter a PSN card into the store, and it tells me it's a $20 card, and when i try to add it to my wallet it fails. I see a message that says "Funds cannot be added to your wallet".

Anyone have any info on this problem?
Spoiler

#2472 eLefAdEr

eLefAdEr

All Systems Go

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:08 PM

I'm trying to enter a PSN card into the store, and it tells me it's a $20 card, and when i try to add it to my wallet it fails. I see a message that says "Funds cannot be added to your wallet".

Anyone have any info on this problem?

Are you getting an error code? I know someone on the PSN in Canada has a similar problem that won't allow them to buy anything from the PSN Store.

#2473 nbballard

nbballard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:25 PM

Are you getting an error code? I know someone on the PSN in Canada has a similar problem that won't allow them to buy anything from the PSN Store.

It's not an error code.

When i put the code it, it tells me it's a $20 credit, and asks if i want to add the funds. I click "YES".

Then it says: "Funds cannot be added to your wallet" (or something along those lines)

I'll try it again tonight. Part of me wonders if it had something to do with network traffic yesterday with all the KZ3 players, map packs and demos.
Spoiler

#2474 DOMINATOR912

DOMINATOR912

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:15 AM

I'm going to be taking my PS3 to a local shop to get the Bluray drive repaired and was just wondering how long do Bluray drives typically last. Really not looking forward to having to do this constantly.

#2475 nbballard

nbballard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:13 PM

I've owned 4 PS3s (2 replaced, 2 current). No problems with the drives so far. I think there were just some bad batches in some early models. That said- the Bluray drive is the first piece you see when you take apart a PS3 (assuming it's a fat). If you could find one on eBay or a parts store I'd highly recommend doing it yourself.

Be sure to deactivate you PSN stuff in case the repair goes badly.
Spoiler

#2476 DOMINATOR912

DOMINATOR912

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:48 PM

Well the one that broke on me was on a 120GB slim. And I've looked at videos on yooutube on how to replace the drive, and thats pretty much out of my range.

#2477 nbballard

nbballard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:58 PM

Just skimmed through a video for a slim. You actually have to remove one of the other components to expose the BR drive's cable release, but it's pretty straightforward stuff you could do with a steady hand and a screw driver.

If it's a slim, is it not still under warrentee with sony?
Spoiler

#2478 DOMINATOR912

DOMINATOR912

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:37 PM

No, warranty expired maybe 3 months ago. If not I would have just sent it off to them.

#2479 brewin

brewin

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:22 PM

Anybody got any tips on how to increase PS3 download speeds? This is kind of ridiculous how slow it really is and I have tried everything I could find elsewhere. Nothing seems to be helping. I am on a hardwired connection with Roadrunner powerboost (15Mbps) and its still molasses in Alaska slow. I DLed the Dragon Age 2 demo on my 360 in about 20 minutes and that same DL has been downloading OVERNIGHT and is still @ 40%! Is there any advice someone can give me here!?
Posted Image

#2480 eLefAdEr

eLefAdEr

All Systems Go

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:25 PM

Anybody got any tips on how to increase PS3 download speeds? This is kind of ridiculous how slow it really is and I have tried everything I could find elsewhere. Nothing seems to be helping. I am on a hardwired connection with Roadrunner powerboost (15Mbps) and its still molasses in Alaska slow. I DLed the Dragon Age 2 demo on my 360 in about 20 minutes and that same DL has been downloading OVERNIGHT and is still @ 40%! Is there any advice someone can give me here!?

I'm not so sure your connection is the problem -- were you trying to connect/download from the PSN Store yesterday? Lots of people were reporting slow speeds, probably because of the Blops map pack release.

Sony's servers are just slow... at least, compared to the competition. ;)

#2481 brewin

brewin

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:34 PM

Thats pretty bunk... Its always been slow for me though, but this is just ridiculous. I thought Id be all set leaving it to DL overnight, but....wow. Roughly 12 hrs of DL time and its only HALF DONE! Its not even a 2 gig demo! Are PS+ subscribers treated to better DL speeds? *I guess this is why I usually just play my 360. I hate waiting for updates and such.
Posted Image

#2482 nbballard

nbballard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:29 PM

Nope- PS+ users get the same service, just early access to some demos and content.
Spoiler

#2483 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:52 PM

Question about the PS3 remote - does it work well for netflix and allow you to navigate menus and check how much time your movie has left with a single button?

The PS3 is my video workhorse and I figure it would be a better and cheaper investment than a fancy expensive Harmony remote.

Edited by 2DMention, 27 March 2011 - 04:03 PM.

Posted Image

#2484 SteveMcQ

SteveMcQ

I love Panda!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:28 PM

Question about the PS3 remote - does it work well for netflix and allow you to navigate menus and check how much time your movie has left with a single button?

The PS3 is my video workhorse and I figure it would be a better and cheaper investment than a fancy expensive Harmony remote.

The remote works well with Netflix on PS3. It's a personal choice, but I do prefer the menu setup on the 360, but the PS3 has everything available to you as well including your New Releases, Recommendations, Previously Viewed, and obviously your Instant Queue.

The display button on the remote pops up a timer on the top left (in very small font), the audio available and the video quality. Rewinding and fast-forwarding presents you with a chapter-type menu that previews segments of the video so you can see where to stop as you can't see an accurate time read-out outside of a minute count.

Plus, the best thing about the PS3 remote is you don't need line of sight.

#2485 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:11 PM

The remote works well with Netflix on PS3. It's a personal choice, but I do prefer the menu setup on the 360, but the PS3 has everything available to you as well including your New Releases, Recommendations, Previously Viewed, and obviously your Instant Queue.

The display button on the remote pops up a timer on the top left (in very small font), the audio available and the video quality. Rewinding and fast-forwarding presents you with a chapter-type menu that previews segments of the video so you can see where to stop as you can't see an accurate time read-out outside of a minute count.

Plus, the best thing about the PS3 remote is you don't need line of sight.

Thanks for the reply.

Do the fancy expensive Harmony remotes control the PS3 video functions?
Posted Image

#2486 DoReiRei

DoReiRei

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Do the fancy expensive Harmony remotes control the PS3 video functions?

Most need a IR USB sensor sold by them for the ps3, sold not with the remote.

90% of the Harmony's only have the IR, not IR + bluetooth, If i recall.

If you have a sony tv or maybe another brand, it can work with the HDMI-Control feature though, Thats how i use my Harmony remote with the PS3 instead of buying the Infer-Red USB thingie so it can pick up the remote signals, since the pS3 only has bluetooth.

#2487 nbballard

nbballard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:34 PM

If i rent a movie and the file expires, will it reactivate if i rent it again or do i have to redownload it?
Spoiler

#2488 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:14 PM

Got the remote and it's pretty cool. Works good with Netflix, although only play and display seem to work. I wish the display showed the bottom bar, and not the microscopic text in the upper left corner, but I'll take what I can get.

It was pretty tough getting it to sync, too.
Posted Image

#2489 nbballard

nbballard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:07 PM

Got the remote and it's pretty cool. Works good with Netflix, although only play and display seem to work. I wish the display showed the bottom bar, and not the microscopic text in the upper left corner, but I'll take what I can get.

It was pretty tough getting it to sync, too.

My only complaint with the blu-ray remote is that it's too effective since it doesn't need to be pointed at the machine to function. If it gets lost in the couch, your ps3 will come on everytime someone sits down, if your cat steps on it, your going to the crossbar.
Spoiler

#2490 willc23

willc23

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:43 PM

Question from a total PS3 newb. I have the chance to pick up a PS3 phat for $70. It plays blu rays, but not PS3 games. I have read that it is potentially fixable by doing a system restore. My question is that if this does not fix the unit, is this a good price for a blu ray player, media center (streaming services), and PSN game player? If the blu ray is completely dead, I assume that it will not impact online capabilities too?