Photo
- - - - -

Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14626 replies to this topic

#13741 ForeStorm

ForeStorm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:17 PM

Didn't set a budget, but happy where it fell:

Just Cause 2
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition, Two Worlds II
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition
Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword, Frozen Synapse - Two Pack
Defense Grid Map Packs (noticed too late that I could get them with tickets)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat, Beat Hazard - Ultra
Beat Hazard Complete
Jamestown
Sanctum 4-Pack
Amnesa: The Dark Descent
Supreme Commander 2 - Infinite War Battle Pack One

$90.13

You'll notice some double-dipping (I actually have the DA:O CE...), so some of these were gifts for my friend's birthday. It's...it's pretty convenient.

Got 15 tickets and spent them on Magicka, Zombie Driver, Monday Night Combat, X3:TC, and the TF2 shades. A lot of the good things I already had (Terraria when it was $2.50 - wish I could gave gifted a friend a 4-pack), and at around $70...this was a good summer.

#13742 fishphoenix

fishphoenix

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:18 PM

Got Fallout 3 GOTY the other day, New Vegas worth it or should I wait? Have a massive backlog and not sure if I need to beat Fallout 3 first before playing New Vegas.

#13743 lito88

lito88

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:18 PM

for anyone that has Dawn of War II: Retribution, what does it say under your dlc tab? i have 3 dlc's that i didn't pick up but theres no way to see what they are as the dlc window is too small

#13744 aus_nacht

aus_nacht

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:19 PM

I'm kicking myself for missing beat hazard. Is it worth 5/6.50?
"Just a heads up: we're gonna have a superconductor turned up full blast and pointed at you for the duration of this next test. I'll be honest - we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks. No idea what it'll do. Probably nothing. Best-case scenario, you might get some superpowers. Worst case, some tumors, which we'll cut out. " - C. Johnson

#13745 jester55

jester55

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:24 PM

Does anyone questions whether today's daily deals are truly the best sellers of the week of daily deals?

I find myself looking at the list and thinking that Steam picks the list internally based on other factors. Maybe total profit for the day or based on which games they make most profit from on that day they were a daily deal.

I dunno - I just have a hard time believing some of those really were best sellers...

#13746 helmet

helmet

beep boop

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:26 PM

I'd wait. Beathazard is in every sale.

#13747 ForeStorm

ForeStorm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:26 PM

Any of the Just Cause 2 DLC worth it?

Some of it? The plane, there's a neat multirocket launcher...it's cheap, right? I explained more of it over here. There are mods that make them free, but you can't get them free (in-game) without the DLC. I'd at least get the rocket-propelled parachute pack and the explosives; and the one that has the plane in it.

Is magicka any good solo?

Is Magicka like Gauntlet? I want this game, someone convince me.

I thught Magicka was a lot better in multiplay due to Solo just feeling...downtrodden and slow. It's a lot more fun with people. :D Also, not as frantic/quick as Gauntlet...but similar, and much slower.

Do you think Asteroids on sounds fun? Grab it if you've got some more upbeat stuff to listen to. It's...it's pretty weird with classical music, with a lull in the intensity DURING A BOSS BATTLE. Metal/techno/rock/whatever-you-kids-these-days-are-listening-to would probably work fine.

#13748 zillionandnine

zillionandnine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:27 PM

My haul this summer was MUCH smaller than the last couple summers. My wallet is thanking me!

Just Cause 2, Agency Hovercraft DLC, & Black Market Boom Pack DLC
All the Magicka DLC
Terraria
Mass Effect 2

I gifted Trine to a friend, and had Magicka gifted to me which is why I went ahead and bought the DLC.

From the Prize Booth, I got:
AAAAAAA! - Brutal Concussion mission
Killing Floor - Steampunk Character Pack
Magicka - The Lonely Cruise map
TF2 - Summer Shades
Portal 2 - Goo Gear Snorkels
Defense Grid - Resurgence Map Packs

All in all, not bad for ~23 dollars spent total. :)

#13749 blitztwn36

blitztwn36

hatersgunnahate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:27 PM

Got Fallout 3 GOTY the other day, New Vegas worth it or should I wait? Have a massive backlog and not sure if I need to beat Fallout 3 first before playing New Vegas.

I'm in the same boat as you - just got GOTY and was mulling NV. FWIW I decided to hold out for the inevitable NV GOTY edition or similar with all DLC packed in. I won't get around to playing it until next summer sale...so figure that'd be perfect timing to see that sucker on sale.

#13750 Frithsblessing

Frithsblessing

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:30 PM

I thught Magicka was a lot better in multiplay due to Solo just feeling...downtrodden and slow. It's a lot more fun with people. :D Also, not as frantic/quick as Gauntlet...but similar, and much slower.

I appreciate the response. I'm more of a solo gamer than a social gamer. I'll probably pass on magicka.

#13751 sotc1988

sotc1988

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:33 PM

Bought Darksiders, Torchlight, Magicka, and Sanctum. I'm going to really try and make a conscious effort to play these games instead of just letting them collect virtual dust.

#13752 Lock1454

Lock1454

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:37 PM

My Haul...
Penny Arcade Combo Pack - $1.80
Left 4 Dead 2 - $4.99
Torchlight - $2.99Star Wars: KOTOR - $2.49
Magicka - Gift (Thanks Buj!)
Total - $12.27

Pretty good for not wanting to spend much money at all :)

And sitting on 13 tickets that got:
TF2 Shades Magicka Map, Killing Floor Characters and Alien Breed 2

#13753 mikejenks

mikejenks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

Final Haul:

Individual Games:
Star Wars: KOTOR $2.49
Hoard 1/4 Pack $2.25
Monday Night Combat 1/4 Pack $2.81
Worms Reloaded 1/4 Pack $3.19
Terraria 1/4 Pack $1.88
Eschalon: Book I $3.74
Eschalon: Book II $4.99
Greep Corp $2.49
VVVVVV $2.49
Warhammer 40k: Retribution $7.49
Sanctum 1/4 Pack $2.47

Packs:
The Heroes Pack $4.99
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
HOMM V
HOMM V: Hammers of Fate
HOMM V: Tribes of the East

Penny Arcade Combo Pack $1.80
Precipice of Darkness, Episode One
Precipice of Darkness, Episode Two

DLC:
Magicka - Wizards Survival Kit $0.33
Magicka: Vietnam $1.69
Magicka: Watchtower $1.33
Magicka: Nippon $0.33
Magicka: Marshland $0.67
Magicka: Frozen Lake $0.67
Magicka: Final Frontier $1.00

Prizes
Team Fortress 2 Summer Shades
Monday Night Combat Summer Gear
Warhammer 40k: Blood Ravens Veteran's Helmet
Magicka: The Lonely Cruise
Serious Sam: Serious 8

Grand Total: $49.10

Edited by mikejenks, 11 July 2011 - 01:31 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#13754 D4rkShaDoWz

D4rkShaDoWz

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:36 PM

Hey guys, I've been thinking of picking something up this whole sale and finally decided to purchase something now. Unfortunately, I missed MW2 for $20 but there are still a few things I'm interested in

BF BC2 - really cheap and I've heard the multiplayer is good
Borderlands GOTY - SP and coop is a plus
AC : Brotherhood - really eager to play the multiplayer

How are these games? If you could only pick one, which would you pick?

#13755 Ethereality

Ethereality

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:38 PM

for anyone that has Dawn of War II: Retribution, what does it say under your dlc tab? i have 3 dlc's that i didn't pick up but theres no way to see what they are as the dlc window is too small

"Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution - Campaign DLC," "Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution - Last Stand DLC," and "Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution - Multiplayer DLC"

No idea if it was supposed to come with any of that.

#13756 helmet

helmet

beep boop

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:39 PM

I think I'm kinda interested in the THQ pack, but mostly for just the following:

Darksiders
Metro 2033
Titan Quest + Expansion
Warhammer 40K - Dawn of War II and Retribution

Excluding the other games, which I either already own (Stalker, Red Faction, Chaos Rising) and those which I have no interest in (Company of Heroes, Homefront, MX vs ATV, Saints Row 2), does anyone think its worth getting the THQ Hit Collection? Or do you think it'd be better to just piece things together over the next few sales?

#13757 Khamous

Khamous

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:40 PM

Ok so from the whole week:

Nation Red (gift)
Heroes Pack $4.99
Battlefront II $2.49
KOTOR $2.49
Space Chem $5.09
Darksiders $4.99
Torchlight $2.99
Defense Grid $2.49
DA:O UE $10.20
M&B: FnS (Gift)
Frozen Synapse $12.49
GW:EotN $9.99
Clear Sky $2.49
Jamestown $4.99
A.R.E.S. $4.99
Dwarfs?! $4.99
Atom Zombie Smasher $2.99
Sanctum $3.00
Lara Croft GOL + DLC ($3.74+$2.58)
Fallout 3 GOTY $10.20
PAM 3pack $6.24
Magic 2012 (Gift)
Delve Deeper (Gift)
Spectromancer $4.99
Oddbox $5.10
Penny Arcade Combo Pack $1.80

Total= aprox. $115

Was aiming for around $100, so I guess I didnt go too over. Nice sale.

Also, 47 tickets and every prize I could use redeemed (+ Portal 2 item for when I get the game, lol)

fs_pc.png

#13758 GoingIncognito

GoingIncognito

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:42 PM

I bought Magicka when it was on sale earlier and now that it's on sale again I was thinking about picking up the DLC. I was thinking about only getting the Vietnam pack, but figured I'd ask for opinions on the rest of the DLC. So, any CAG has opinions on if the DLC (especially the clothing only packs) are really worthwhile? Thanks.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. " --Albert Einstein

Check My List

#13759 Zenphic

Zenphic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:47 PM

Shucks. It was 7.49 earlier??? Dang it. I was about to buy it for 14.99 but now I feel bad. So I won't buy it no more.

It was at that price a few minutes before the frontpage sale was up.

#13760 SuperTongue

SuperTongue

CAG Creeper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:47 PM

Grr... I'm contemplating dropping the $80 on The Sims 3 pack... is it worth it?
Posted Image

Posted Image

:3ds: 3DS Friend Code: 4167 - 4522 - 4223

#13761 argyle

argyle

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:50 PM

Nothing for me in the recap, so let's see what my total damages were for the sale:

Just Cause 2 (& DLC) - $7.25
Battlefield: BC2 - $5
Beat Hazard - $3
GTA IV Complete - $10
King's Bounty Collection - $7
Rift (x2, one for the wife) - $20
Terraria - $2.50

Total - $54.75. Not too shabby. :)
Posted Image

#13762 skittlesforthe2

skittlesforthe2

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:52 PM

Bought non daily things today.

The Mawsome Pack 2.99
wanted more Majesty 2 so Paradox Fantasy Pack 7.99
and 1701 A. D. Gold 7.49.

Miss 5.00 indie packs from the last sale.

#13763 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:52 PM

I about had a fit when I heard people were having saving issues with Nyxquest. I ran to check mine and it was doing just fine.

I'm on Windows 7 with UAC enabled (Hurr durr me.) so I don't know what the cause might be. Sorry for anyone I pointed into a game that doesn't work right but I had no troubles with it. I still think it's quite good, especially for $2.50, but if you guys can't run it right there's no point, is there?

#13764 mokmoof

mokmoof

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:56 PM

Total damage so far:

BIT.TRIP RUNNER - $2.50
SpaceChem - $5.09
Magicka DLC - $5.74
Defense Grid Packs - $0.96
A.I. War Bundle - $4.49
Sanctum 4-Pack - $9.86
Worms Reloaded - $4.99

And today I'm considering:

Fate of the World - $4.99
Portal 2 - The Final Hours - $1.33

Which would put me at $30.07 total. Plus a simply absurd amount of stuff from the Prize Booth. I feel good about things.

I was considering Winter Voices, but it'll almost certainly be much cheaper once it's finished (if indeed it ever, like, gets finished).

Edited by mokmoof, 10 July 2011 - 08:50 PM.
Forgot SpaceChem!

#13765 helmet

helmet

beep boop

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:03 PM

I noticed some people ragging on GAF and I think there if a big difference in the communities.

The CAG community is more interested in saving money in the context of the games they've heard of, or at the very least, are publicized to them, rather being of the mind to try anything at least once. Especially if there is money involved. They would rather spend cash on a sure thing instead of throwing it at something they have never heard of.

The community over at GAF are fans of gaming in general. It seems to be varied enough that people are willing to try anything and everything thrown their way at least once and they don't seem to be scared to spend their cash. If you look at their main page, they have a picture thread dedicated just to how much people splurge on a daily basis, regardless of cost.

I don't know, I think you're over generalizing in both cases.

I can't claim that I'm speaking for all CAGs, but speaking for myself I can say thats not entirely true. I do in fact have a budget, I have tons to pay in college loans every month, have a sittay job at the moment, and have a lot of bills to pay. So yes, I do have a limit on what I can purchase.

What I do purchase however, is not what the big publishers shovel down my throat with marketing, but what I think actually might be a decent game. It all comes down to WHEN is the best time to buy it. As a regular CAG, I tend to notice trends in the way that Steam puts games on sale, and its easy to pick out things that will definitely show up next time (which is just about everything). Its not that I'm completely unreceptive to trying something new, it just doesn't make sense to buy something at a higher price point when:

• I already have hundreds of hours of games to play before I'd even get around it (I still have PS2 games that I haven't gotten around to)
  • It will definitely be cheaper in the future.
I might be wrong, but I think CAGs are more concerned with WHEN to buy rather than whats the best price to review-score ratio. So no, I probably won't buy everything that has been recommended to me, because it doesn't make sense for me. Not because they aren't good games.

#13766 DirkBelig

DirkBelig

The Belligerent One

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:08 PM

Light sale for me this time, mostly because I already had most of the games on sale. Bought:

* Fallout 3 GOTY
* Some miscellaneous Just Cause 2 DLC
* The Mawsome Pack (maybe - probably will cuz I usually pick up $2-$3 games and play them a couple of hours before forgetting about them, like P.J. Winterbottom. It's cheaper than a lunch.)

133994.png DirkBelig.png5fbfd2ddbe4d9137.png DirkBelig.png

#13767 fishphoenix

fishphoenix

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:17 PM

My total haul:

Hydrophobia: Prophecy
Total War: Shogun 2 & DLC
Darksiders
Torchlight
Trine
Singularity
Deus Ex Collection
Killing Floor
Fallout 3 GOTY
Shatter
Sanctum

Total: ~$73

#13768 ROB64

ROB64

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:20 PM

I got Bully: Scholarship Edition and The Sims 3.
Already have Trine and Braid from the humble bundles, or else those would've been bought as well.

I wanted to get Oblivion with all the DLC, but I didn't have any money in the bank at the time. :(
Posted Image

#13769 lito88

lito88

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:19 PM

"Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution - Campaign DLC," "Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution - Last Stand DLC," and "Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution - Multiplayer DLC"

No idea if it was supposed to come with any of that.

How were you able to see that?

#13770 thenexus6

thenexus6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:22 PM

Nothing for me today (its the last day isn't it?). My haul was pretty small - HL 2 Deathmatch and Killing Floor.

HL is good, liked playing it on PC years ago, dislike KF though.. but ah well.

Wish a few more titles were available on Mac because I would of brought alot more.

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

PSN the-nexus6 | Xbox Live Ken the Wizard
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie