Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#5881 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

I'm sick of seeing it not be $10 or less. ;)

I kinda sorta kinda want it in some vague I probably should get this someday I guess way, but like the people who can't pull the trigger on Tropico 4 because of Tropico 3, I have Borderlands 1 GotY and haven't really touched it yet.

Plus there's the whole 'well you know they are going to bundle it up with all the DLC cheap someday' thing.

But yeah, it does seem to have been on sale a lot, along with a lot of other repeats.

Since you already have it, you really should play Borderlands 1. I have both, and I actually prefer the first one - way better menu system, story, etc etc. Skip BL2 unless you're a huge fan. I have about 55 hours on BL1, and love it. I pre-ordered BL2 (and the season pass) but I'm having a hard time getting into it.

#5882 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

Wow. I KNOW thief has been much much less. That's an insult for that price. And I'm pretty sure Home has been less as well. Starting to actually believe this might be the decline of the Steam sale.

You're misremembering. 75% off at these base prices is the cheapest Thief has been on Steam, though it's hit this price a couple of times.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#5883 Therapy

Therapy

You Know You Need Me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

... I like this guy. By the time I want to play Tropico 4, it'll be on sale again. I can wait.

Lol thanks :P It's hard staying rational with all these bargains flying around. Stay strong, brother!

#5884 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

I beat Dishonored last night with a low chaos nonlethal run and all I want to do is go back and play it again. If I end up shirking all my other games I'll probably do a high chaos stealth kill run. Definitely one of the best games I've played this year.

#5885 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

Since you already have it, you really should play Borderlands 1. I have both, and I actually prefer the first one - way better menu system, story, etc etc. Skip BL2 unless you're a huge fan. I have about 55 hours on BL1, and love it. I pre-ordered BL2 (and the season pass) but I'm having a hard time getting into it.

Yeah, I've heard lots of good things about BL1. It's been on my to do list forever.

Sometimes in spite of having a bunch of well regarded games on my mental 'to-do' list I just sit there and stare at my games list and get '57 Channels and Nothing On' syndrome and think 'I don't know what the hell to play'.

It's a sickness. :lol:

steam_sig.png

#5886 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

Yeah, I've heard lots of good things about BL1. It's been on my to do list forever.

Sometimes in spite of having a bunch of well regarded games on my mental 'to-do' list I just sit there and stare at my games list and get '57 Channels and Nothing On' syndrome and think 'I don't know what the hell to play'.

There's always Roller Coaster Rampage. :whee:

#5887 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

Way better story in BL1? You're crazy. There's barely a story there at all.

#5888 Therapy

Therapy

You Know You Need Me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

Wow, that is a great description of how I usually feel as well :P

One possible cause I can think of might be that most of the games I like (and own) take a lot of time to get into. And time is something I'm kind of short on supply on. Take skyrim, for example. If you play it for just an hour you don't really feel like you've accomplished something. When I have like an hour or so to play something I usually spend it staring at my list as well. Durhh!

Edited by Therapy, 26 December 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#5889 LazyTriangle

LazyTriangle

flashbang dance

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

another round of disappointing games for the community's choice deal.

wasn't Home already in a flash deal?

k3t3QR6.jpg?1

#5890 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

There's always Roller Coaster Rampage. :whee:

Good point.

Why can't there be a rollercoaster game with poorly rendered, low poly, low res textured (not so) supermodels?

And coconuts.

steam_sig.png

#5891 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

:lol: nice. Sometimes what I do is if there is a game or two I know I want to play soon, I create a new list in Steam and add those few games to that list, then collapse the rest.

#5892 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

And that's the way I like my Borderlands. :D

#5893 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

Finally something we agree on. :)

I didn't care for Borderlands all that much but I don't really play a lot of co-op games. It's overrated as a single-player experience. Also, the resolution to the story is exceptionally lame, even by video-game standards.

fs_pc.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#5894 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

Good point.

Why can't there be a rollercoaster game with poorly rendered, low poly, low res textured (not so) supermodels?

And coconuts.

Aren't you describing Roller Coconut Rampage?

Oh, I had a semi-Steam-related question for folks. Are these compatible with Windows? http://www.amazon.co...box 360 windows

fs_pc.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#5895 XIGRIMxREAPERIX

XIGRIMxREAPERIX

Insomniac

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

And that's the way I like my Borderlands. :D

Just Shoot and Loot
Posted Image

#5896 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

Roller Coconut Runway.

#5897 INCyr

INCyr

Devotee of CAGthulhu

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

You're misremembering. 75% off at these base prices is the cheapest Thief has been on Steam, though it's hit this price a couple of times.

I think what happened is the prices hadn't updated yet. So I was seeing thief at $15 or so and possibly home at higher than current sale price. Outrage is revoked, everything is good.

#5898 Patch517

Patch517

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

Oh, I had a semi-Steam-related question for folks. Are these compatible with Windows? http://www.amazon.co...box 360 windows

It's the exact same one I bought initially for Dark Souls. Works perfectly well on games that support controllers, never had a problem. :)

#5899 DarenDF

DarenDF

Don't Do this

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

Voted Assassins creed 2, hoping revelations will go on sale if it wins.

#5900 zico

zico

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

Voted Just Cause 2, want to get it for some time now

#5901 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

Voted Assassins creed 2, hoping revelations will go on sale if it wins.

Same.

Additionally, I'm patiently waiting for 1pm when that Wireless Xbox controller for Windows goes on Amazon Gold Box. It was on my Christmas wishlist, but nobody got it for me.

#5902 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

On a mostly unrelated, but hoping the Humble bonus gets added soon, note,

I finally watched Indie Game: The Movie last night. (On Netflix; not Steam)

The bearded dude with the wife and creepy cat was cool but the other 3 I just kept wishing someone would drop a refrigerator on.

What a bunch of self indulgent, narcissistic divas!

Reminds me of the modding community, except there was no pay and far less respect.

Why the hell did I do that again?

steam_sig.png

#5903 radioactivez0r

radioactivez0r

Up and Atom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

When the flash sales flipped, Thief was showing 40% and Home 50%, which was the cause of the frustration. They have normalized since then.

The BL1 story was total garbage and the ending was a big head-scratching WTF moment; the story in the sequel, though, is mostly great and I love the villain. He's hilariously dickish.
Posted Image

#5904 XIGRIMxREAPERIX

XIGRIMxREAPERIX

Insomniac

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

The bearded dude with the wife and creepy cat was cool but the other 3 I just kept wishing someone would drop a refrigerator on.

Reminds me of the modding community, except there was no pay and far less respect.

Almost forgot more games! My recap of the movie: blah blah blah Im making the best game ever made blah blah im an artist blah blah
Posted Image

#5905 kataztrophik

kataztrophik

Rochambeau! I win.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Super Meat Boy devs: Likable and relatable

Braid devs: Your 10/10 rating is INSULTING...you don't understand the true masterpiece my game is!

Fez dev: I'm a sociopath with homicidal tendencies. How dare anybody demand anything of me. It will get done when it gets done!

#5906 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

re: RPGs should be more story focused and be on task vs giving you freedom and letting you wander.

It's an old, old argument and in my opinion both sides are correct but what we're really looking at is two distinct subgenres within the RPG genre and each may be appealing to some people and not to others.

In my opinion it's very difficlt to tell a good story and give the player lots and lots of freedom and be good about keeping them on task and not getting to distracted. When you put more emphasis in one area, the other seems to suffer a bit.

That's what I like about the Demon's/Dark Souls games, there's a basic story to keep you on track, but there is a deeper story told by the placement of objects, item descriptions, out-of-the-way NPC dialogue, etc. If you want to dig down into the story/mythology, the rabbit hole can go quite deep, but if you just want to have fun slashy, slashying stuff, the storytelling is not in your face.

I don't mind the openness of the Elder's scroll games, but I hated other aspects of the only one I played, Oblivion, such as the character leveling system, that enemies also level up with you, combat got pretty boring, and the game breaking bugs which they knew about but chose not to fix because they had already moved onto their next project (Vampire->human quest broken). I also appreciate the craftsmanship of a world 100% built from the ground up featuring no randomly generated dungeons which look so generic and will never be as perfectly balanced as a dungeon built from scratch.

Side note. the Xbox 360 wireless controller for Windows is going to be a lightning deal today at amazon at 1PM Pacific, it's $40 right now so it will probably be another $5-10 off of that.

Guardian_owl.png

#5907 Angelwatch

Angelwatch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

Finally broke down and bought the Thief series for 6.74. I had passed on it the last few sales but this sale has been pretty weak so I felt OK buying it. Besides, I have no idea what happened to my Thief and Thief 2 discs.

#5908 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

What a bunch of self indulgent, narcissistic divas!?

BROTHER! :grouphug: I finally found someone on CAG who hates that movie as much as me, I felt like I was going crazy being the only one.

Guardian_owl.png

#5909 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

Fez dev: I'm a sociopath with homicidal tendencies. How dare anybody demand anything of me. It will get done when it gets done!

Also "PCs are for spreadsheets".

steam_sig.png

#5910 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

If I needed to like the people who created stuff I enjoyed, well, I imagine there wouldn't be many products out there for me.