The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Detruire'][citation needed][/QUOTE]

I really tried to find some crazy site, making up some BS proof that they were the same state but I wasn't even able to do that. Makes me a bit sad, I was hoping the internet had something for me there :cry:

[quote name='jatan11t']5 pages already? How the heck...
I swear the sale hasn't started yet...[/QUOTE]

Everyone just has to get a word in so they can subscribe to it. I know I do.

I get this error when trying to access SteamScore.net.

Error: Steam is offline or under heavy load, we cannot load your profile now. Please try again in a few minutes.

Edit: and now steam is updating...maybe that is the issue

I know this is off-topic but i was told this thread gets a lot of traffic so good to post here

https://www.facebook.com/VideoGamePetitions

I created this page so we can get our gaming petitions on one page, as one gaming community as one voice. I just started it and i don't expect it to get 50.000 in 2 weeks but i believe the page has potential to grow. I search on the net and didn't come across anything on FB or in general

so please spread the word,like the page and post links to petitions you would like to get enough signatures.

HD collections
Reboots to old Franchises
Gaming Sequels that we want
etc,

any gaming related petition.

thanks

[quote name='Motoki']Yes and no.

Most of the store goes on sale so if you are relatively new to Steam then there are a lot of deals to be had.

However if you are old and crusty and have been around the virtual block hundreds of times and have nearly every game you could possibly want, and a bunch more that you never wanted in the first place, then you just sit around and complain about how terrible the sale is, that there are just no good deals on sale and that it just isn't like the good old days, where old in this case means a year or so ago.[/QUOTE]

This description is disturbing. In that, this is exactly the way I feel it goes. It's kinda funny. That said, I think there some deals to be had, it's just that the first Steam sale, I mean that first one, you'll see deals you just can't believe are real because you'll have all these games you need to buy.

And once you own the games everyone owns because they always go on sale hard (ie., Bioshock, Half-Life 2, Portal, L4D 1/2, Assassin's Creed), it's just never quite as kid in a candy store as those first couple of sales.

Re: Steamscore site

Once I got it to go through all my games, I looked through the scores and values for games. I seriously can't understand the formulas behind quite a few of the numbers. Examples: Borderlands 1 is worth roughly 3,500 total for all 80 achievements while Borderlands 2 is worth roughly 28,000; some games (Sleeping Dogs, Walking Dead) have scores go beyond the stated cap; some games are only worth a couple hundred (Secret of Monkey Island 2 versus Sonic CD) when they have the same number of achievements as other games. Why the fuck can one game be worth around 8 times the score as another game? Steamscore needs some actual consistency and less wonky formula math before it's really worth checking, but it could be entertaining given enough time.

[quote name='Corpekata']Gamersgate has a couple Steamworks deals today that are solid. Rage for 5 bucks and Last Remnant for 3.75.[/QUOTE]

Can't bring myself to justify a purchase on Rage. From people's thoughts when its brought up to looking at the game, just seems completely average.

& thanks for the thoughts on SC: Conviction in the last thread. I still have that silly $5 voucher from Gametap and its $10 there.

Still tryna get BL GOTY, saw that it was in a GetGames Reloaded and I missed that. In two 2K packs on Amazon but everyone already has BioShock 1/2 and Darkness II doesn't have that much interest it seems even for $5. & DN Forever is...what it is. Still wouldn't mind giving it a go.

I'll eventually get Rage when I upgrade to a new system. Since the gameplay is pretty mediocre I feel the visuals (even as questionable as they can be at times) are probably half the experience. Wonder if it'll hit $2.50 by then!

[quote name='Mooby']I'll eventually get Rage when I upgrade to a new system. Since the gameplay is pretty mediocre I feel the visuals (even as questionable as they can be at times) are probably half the experience. Wonder if it'll hit $2.50 by then![/QUOTE]

Good point lol.

n Sir Fragalot mentioned getting Yakuza Dead Souls in the last thread. I've always wanted to play the original. The ills of never having a Sony system.

[quote name='randomdud']Re: Steamscore site

Once I got it to go through all my games, I looked through the scores and values for games. I seriously can't understand the formulas behind quite a few of the numbers. Examples: Borderlands 1 is worth roughly 3,500 total for all 80 achievements while Borderlands 2 is worth roughly 28,000; some games (Sleeping Dogs, Walking Dead) have scores go beyond the stated cap; some games are only worth a couple hundred (Secret of Monkey Island 2 versus Sonic CD) when they have the same number of achievements as other games. Why the fuck can one game be worth around 8 times the score as another game? Steamscore needs some actual consistency and less wonky formula math before it's really worth checking, but it could be entertaining given enough time.[/QUOTE]

If all you care about is raw number of achievements completed, you can simply sort by that and ignore the score. Civ5 has a bunch of achievements, and the total score is like 90k . . . cause games take days to weeks to complete, and something like a quarter of the achievements require a full game to get. You could 100% SonicCD in the time it takes to play 1-2 full Civ5 games. Thus the achievement points rewarded are scaled to the difficulty of getting that achievement.

The numbers don't make sense. Just looking at The Walking Dead alone is enough to proof that.

Seems like they're assigning point values based on how many achievements a game has and the percentage of those achievements that have been, well, achieved. Fallen Earth has 650 achievements and most of them are sitting at 0%, hence the highest score.

[quote name='facls']I suggest the new topic keep the Windows logo next to it on the forum index page, makes it easier to find it.[/QUOTE]

Very well, though really you should just subscribe to the thread and find it in your User CP!

I've been trying to get CAG to add a Steam icon forever since Steam actually supports Mac and Linux too, but my pleas have fallen on deaf ears so far.

[quote name='eastx']Very well, though really you should just subscribe to the thread and find it in your User CP!

I've been trying to get CAG to add a Steam icon forever since Steam actually supports Mac and Linux too, but my pleas have fallen on deaf ears so far.[/QUOTE]

I suppose if someone made one and submitted it, it might be more likely.

[quote name='eastx']Very well, though really you should just subscribe to the thread and find it in your User CP![/QUOTE]

Didn't know that was even a possibility, I'll look into that, thanks!

[quote name='travathian'] Civ5 has a bunch of achievements, and the total score is like 90k . . . cause games take days to weeks to complete, and something like a quarter of the achievements require a full game to get. You could 100% SonicCD in the time it takes to play 1-2 full Civ5 games. Thus the achievement points rewarded are scaled to the difficulty of getting that achievement.[/QUOTE]

No, that can't be completely true because some of the Borderlands 1 achievements have pretty low completion rates (.5% ish) due to time investment/difficulty and would be worth quite a bit more than their current value.

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/Borderlands/achievements

[quote name='Indignate']The numbers don't make sense. Just looking at The Walking Dead alone is enough to proof that.

Seems like they're assigning point values based on how many achievements a game has and the percentage of those achievements that have been, well, achieved. Fallen Earth has 650 achievements and most of them are sitting at 0%, hence the highest score.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that seems likely regarding the 0% influencing point values. Also, I don't think they are checking against the global Steam community and instead building their own database as people try to check scores, so the values are going to be quite skewed until the site gets a decently-sized sample population and has fewer 0% achievements.

[quote name='plft']Played some demos tonight, Binary Domain and Sleeping Dogs. Binary Domain I had some major issues with disabling the voice commands and being unable to use anything from the Tab menu. I think it's because I have USB mics plugged in and it would be a huge hassle to have to disable them each time I want to play in order to experience the game fully. Can anyone corroborate that having USB mics plugged in and disabling the voice commands in game doesn't let you use whichever hotkeys are assigned or is it a demo quirk that wasn't updated with the patches.

Sleeping Dogs looked and played great but even after setting my mouse sensitivity to max I had to move the mouse all the way across the mousepad just to turn a little bit. Once again, normal for mouse control or a demo quirk?[/QUOTE]
Reposting as this got lost in the shuffle of the new thread.

I think deleting the second post or something broke the thread for me. I can't get it to find my place of last read post or realize that I've already read everything.

Oh, and if people want to add me, feel free to click through on the Steam card in my signature.

Wow, a new thread pops up just after I go to bed and it's already 6 pages full.

I'm just gonna assume that it's mostly people saying stuff like "new thread smell" and that it's not worthwhile going back to read through.

[quote name='The End']Wow, a new thread pops up just after I go to bed and it's already 6 pages full.

I'm just gonna assume that it's mostly people saying stuff like "new thread smell" and that it's not worthwhile going back to read through.[/QUOTE]

It is pretty much everyone marking their territory and making the thread feel lived-in.

[quote name='The End']Wow, a new thread pops up just after I go to bed and it's already 6 pages full.

I'm just gonna assume that it's mostly people saying stuff like "new thread smell" and that it's not worthwhile going back to read through.[/QUOTE]

Bethesda stopped in and gave away a bunch of keys for Skyrim and Dishonored and dropped some pretty in-depth details about the future of those franchises.

I already have both Rage and Last Remnant but if someone wanted to they could buy two Rages and two Last Remnants from GG, get one of the last Remnants free $3.75.

If you use IAMANELDERGEEK on blue coins and then again on the games you can get all four for $13.30 or $12.35 if you happen to have 540 blue coins (about 54 cents worth) in your account.

[quote name='Detruire']I thought Rhode Island and Vermont were different states.[/QUOTE]

Well I'll be. So they are.

I still reserve the right to blame Vermont for my gaming disappointments.

[quote name='Junpei']Won't Amalur Complete Collection go on sale on Amazon in a few days, though? I recall reading that on the Amazon PCDD thread...[/QUOTE]

I've been playing this game on Origin and it runs really smooth. The game play and graphics are really good, but the story and main character feel empty. It's a tired story and the main character is bland. It might have to do with she doesn't have a voice. That didn't bother me in DA, but for some reason in this game it does. Despite it's flaws I really enjoy it. I only wish I had more time to play it- work and kids.

It occurs to me that we are just two days from when the Winter Sale is due to [allegedly] begin. Not to mention the fact that there is, supposedly, a new Humble Bundle due out by the end of the year.

Shoite, I think I'm excited.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']It occurs to me that we are just two days from when the Winter Sale is due to [allegedly] begin. Not to mention the fact that there is, supposedly, a new Humble Bundle due out by the end of the year.

Shoite, I think I'm excited.[/QUOTE]

Also Indie Royale, if they know what's good for them, should drop any second now. Otherwise they will get Steamrolled by the Steam sale. is up.

I grabbed it when I saw $4 before even looking at what it was because I almost never can catch that damned thing at $4. :p

Surprisingly, I didn't have anything in this bundle because I passed on the Serious Sam games 800 million times that they've been on sale and in bundles.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Motoki']I already have both Rage and Last Remnant but if someone wanted to they could buy two Rages and two Last Remnants from GG, get one of the last Remnants free $3.75.

If you use IAMANELDERGEEK on blue coins and then again on the games you can get all four for $13.30 or $12.35 if you happen to have 540 blue coins (about 54 cents worth) in your account.[/QUOTE]
I was going to buy 4 copies of RAGE, but then that annoying 2 copies limit reared its head. :roll:

If anyone is actually interested in splitting 4 copies of RAGE (works out to $3.2/copy), I'll contact GG support to see if I can get that limit increased.

[quote name='sunghost']Indie Royale Xmas Bundle 2.0 is now live.. and it's pretty crappy..[/QUOTE]

I could do without the serious sam crap, but the rest looks good.

[quote name='The End']I could do without the serious sam crap, but the rest looks good.[/QUOTE]

I own half of the games, and got Colour Blind free in the developer's giveaway. Double D was also free for a certain period of time in the LittleBigBunch bundle, which most people have probably forgot by now. Also, the Serious Sam titles are repeats from the Serious Sam Indie Royale bundle.

[quote name='sunghost']Indie Royale Xmas Bundle 2.0 is now live.. and it's pretty crappy..[/QUOTE]
They've even started to recycle games from their own bundles? #-o

I give it a whole-hearted...meh. And I don't own any of the games. Just not my things I guess. Color Bind does look interesting, though.

Just remember guys, when the sale starts there will be one game you want that is 50% off for the entire sale. When the last day hits you will buckle and buy said game. It will be the daily deal for 75% off the next day.

[quote name='hbluft']Just remember guys, when the sale starts there will be one game you want that is 50% off for the entire sale. When the last day hits you will buckle and buy said game. It will be the daily deal for 75% off the next day.[/QUOTE]

I'm secretly hoping for some crazy, non-standardised percentage discounts to come in and throw people off guard.

"When was the last time Jade Empire was 57% off?"

"Will we see Hydrophobia at better than 79% off?!"

Imagine the carnage :lol:

[quote name='hbluft']Just remember guys, when the sale starts there will be one game you want that is 50% off for the entire sale. When the last day hits you will buckle and buy said game. It will be the daily deal for 75% off the next day.[/QUOTE]
Don't be ridiculous. Nobody buys games when they're only 50% off. :whistle2:s

Oh no, I missed the thread grand re-opening! Only two days from a major sale and there haven't been any dumb questions, amazing.

[quote name='stupidproz1']I remember this guy on the forums always links this Steam sale guide for newbies. That should probably posted up in the OP.[/QUOTE]

That would be BigSpoonyBard, I think.

So... apparently there is new DLC for Rage called 'The Scorchers' that adds more outdoor areas, some items, and another difficulty level. Talk about out of left field... why did they even bother developing paid content for this? Cost is around $5... same as what they sell the base game for at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back