The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mooby']So... apparently there is new DLC for Rage called 'The Scorchers' that adds more outdoor areas, some items, and another difficulty level. Talk about out of left field... why did they even bother developing paid content for this? Cost is around $5... same as what they sell the base game for at this point.[/QUOTE]

Wow, this was a surprise, thanks.

[quote name='hbluft']Tell that to the folks who got the 4.99 Jade Empire in the last sale.[/QUOTE]

You Sir are a prophet. But don't fall for the current daily deal, it will be 80% off during the winter sale!! Valve knows how to troll.

[quote name='Motoki']Also if you like Gray Matter please vote for it on Greenlight.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Motoki, voted it up.

[quote name='Blade'][/QUOTE]

Key is still active. It's for Adventures of Shuggy. I gave it to a girl as a present on Friday, but she's apparently an ungrateful bitch. ;) Someone should use it so it isn't wasted.

[quote name='ndawgdrake']Congrats! PC Gaming may require some initial legwork, but its well worth it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Funny thing is, I've worked as a computer tech for many years, but never considered pc gaming. It was always consoles for me. Fortunately, steam makes the legwork minimal.

That said, I still really enjoy my consoles and I only play PC games if they support controllers to play on my HDTV.

[quote name='Blade']Key is still active. It's for Adventures of Shuggy. I gave it to a girl as a present on Friday, but she's apparently an ungrateful bitch. ;) Someone should use it so it isn't wasted.[/QUOTE]

lol I didn't notice there was a key in that post. Just wondering though, how would you know if the key is still active? I thought it was impossible to check.

Is Stronghold 3 just as bad as everyone said it was when released, or did they patch it up?

Also, concerning the 75% off sale on Crusader Kings II, how damn annoying is it that the 3 DLC's you don't own are the only ones not discounted. They need to stop excluding stuff when a game goes on deep discount.

[quote name='sunghost']lol I didn't notice there was a key in that post. Just wondering though, how would you know if the key is still active? I thought it was impossible to check.[/QUOTE]

When I go to redeem it, it says "Product Already Owned." I think that means it hasn't been used, right? Otherwise it would say "Duplicate Product Code?" I don't really know how the system works, if it checks whether the key is valid or not before checking if you own it. But I asked her if she used it yesterday, and she said "oh I forgot." That's what you get with stupid LoL fanatics. ;) If anyone who doesn't own the game tries to use it, maybe they'll be able to shed some light.

[quote name='Blade']When I go to redeem it, it says "Product Already Owned." I think that means it hasn't been used, right? Otherwise it would say "Duplicate Product Code?" I don't really know how the system works, if it checks whether the key is valid or not before checking if you own it...[/QUOTE]

Nah, I think it says Product Already Owned regardless if the key has been used or not. You can check if it's a duplicate on a Steam account that doesn't have Shuggy tied to it, but you risk activating the key if it hasn't been used.

[quote name='Blade']Key is still active. It's for Adventures of Shuggy. I gave it to a girl as a present on Friday, but she's apparently an ungrateful bitch. ;) Someone should use it so it isn't wasted.[/QUOTE]

I hate when you give someone a key and they don't bother to activate it and also don't bother to tell you.

It takes like a minute (literally a minute because Steam takes a dump when you put in a key but still) so it's not a big deal. And if you aren't going to use it then just say so right away.

My sister does that crap to me all the time. *grumble grumble* ;)

[quote name='Fatalis Fafnir']I've always wondered, why doesn't this Steam deals thread get stickied? Same with the Xbox live weekly deal and PSN weekly deals thread?[/QUOTE]

I think CAG gets some money from places like amazon

[quote name='Ozonekill']I think CAG gets some money from places like amazon[/QUOTE]

No.

Not in exchange for stickying threads.

[quote name='walkonshadows']Is Stronghold 3 just as bad as everyone said it was when released, or did they patch it up?
[/QUOTE]

Yes. It sucks. Seriously.

I feel like lobbying Valve to allow for trading and reselling of games just so I can give it to you so you don't waste your money on it like I did.

If you want to buy it buy it but then you must come back and tell me how much it sucked and how right I was. :lol:

Is there a way to tell if a Steam key has been redeemed without actually redeeming it?

[quote name='Fatalis Fafnir']I've always wondered, why doesn't this Steam deals thread get stickied? Same with the Xbox live weekly deal and PSN weekly deals thread?[/QUOTE]

It's not difficult to find. It rarely leaves the front page. I think the stickied list should remain pretty small or else it tends to lose focus.

Right now you've got the Sunday deals thread which is meant to be a roundup of multiple threads, the Amazon PCDD thread which makes money for the site, and the raffle thread which is for the kids. I think they all make a lot of sense.

[quote name='Eldredpe']No.

Not in exchange for stickying threads.[/QUOTE]

*Edit: More or less ninja'ed by Louiedog

Well not directly but obviously more people seeing a thread means more click through links means more affliate bonuses etc.

Anyway, this thread is almost always on the first page and with the big sale coming up that is pretty much guaranteed for a while so it's not a big deal to not have it way up at the tippy top I don't think.

[quote name='Eldredpe']No.

Not in exchange for stickying threads.[/QUOTE]

It increases the chance of people seeing the thread, thus the chance of people buying from links they clicked on from said thread.

[quote name='Motoki']
Well not directly but obviously more people seeing a thread means more click through links means more affliate bonuses etc.[/QUOTE]

Sure, but that feels like a distinction worth making.

dammit steam, i still have so many games to finish from the summer sale!

i hope there is a good deal on borderlands 2

[quote name='EliotAndrews']It's always nice to know who the PERSONA fans are. For whatever reason, PERSONA3 fans are less vocal than the Persona 4 ones, and I regard P3FES to be the superior of the two games. That's just me, though.

Hahaha, that Daily Deal is hilarious. The people on Valve's staff know what they're doing.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to think of how many hours I've sunk into P3:FES. P4 is still on the shelf in the cellophane wrapper.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']If that Ubisoft pack is $50-60 I might get it for Ass Creed 3, From Dust, and Anno.
If it's anything more, I will pass.

Also if you don't own that Square Enix pack, buy it please.
[/QUOTE]

Didja forget that you picked up From Dust for $1 this summer on the 4-day Uplay sale?

[quote name='walkonshadows']
Also, concerning the 75% off sale on Crusader Kings II, how damn annoying is it that the 3 DLC's you don't own are the only ones not discounted. They need to stop excluding stuff when a game goes on deep discount.[/QUOTE]

The Russian DLCs that are excluded were just released a few days ago. I don't expect this trend to change.

[quote name='seamoss']Is there a way to tell if a Steam key has been redeemed without actually redeeming it?[/QUOTE]

I thought so, but I guess not. I asked her if she had used it over the phone, and I guess she couldn't be bothered to. Motoki's right, it literally takes less than a minute to redeem a key. So it was unused when it was posted here.

That's another problem they should've solved already.

[quote name='MulderYuffie']I love the Persona series too I would have to say I like Persona 4 more though even though I played Persona 3 first.[/QUOTE]

Persona 4 had a little more fun to it than P3FES, but both are fantastic.

My biggest want this sale is Dark Souls to hit 75% since it is currently tempting me to get it on the 360 for $13.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Sure, but that feels like a distinction worth making.[/QUOTE]

Not to sound condescending, I never would have expected someone to interpret what I said the way you did. So no distinction was made.

[quote name='Ozonekill']Not to sound condescending, I never would have expected someone to interpret what I said the way you did. So no distinction was made.[/QUOTE]

Lovely.

I snatched the key up. My apologies for not letting everyone know sooner. Thanks Blade.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I enjoyed P3:FES a lot. I can't think of another single player game that I've sunk ~100 hours into (I generally get tired of Bethesda games after about 50-60). I think I'll probably give P4 a shot later, but I need a nice long break right now.[/QUOTE]

Actually just finished P3 this year after years of working on it. Really enjoyed it. Also have P4 in my backlog, which I will get to at some point.

[quote name='MidnightRythms']I snatched the key up. My apologies for not letting everyone know sooner. Thanks Blade.[/QUOTE]

You're welcome! And it still says "Product Already Owned" which means sunghost is correct. There's no way to tell without redeeming the key yourself.

[quote name='Blade']I thought so, but I guess not. I asked her if she had used it over the phone, and I guess she couldn't be bothered to. Motoki's right, it literally takes less than a minute to redeem a key. So it was unused when it was posted here.

That's another problem they should've solved already.[/QUOTE]
One thing that Origin does that I approve of!
[quote name='momouchi']Persona 4 had a little more fun to it than P3FES, but both are fantastic.

My biggest want this sale is Dark Souls to hit 75% since it is currently tempting me to get it on the 360 for $13.[/QUOTE]

I'd pass on Dark Souls 360; the DLC that's bundled with the PC version is $15 there on its own.

I'm sure you guys were aware of this but Steam has the ability to send you an email if any of your games on your wishlist goes on sale. I didn't know this til today...too busy lurkin' around here.

[quote name='MidnightRythms']I'm sure you guys were aware of this but Steam has the ability to send you an email if any of your games on your wishlist goes on sale. I didn't know this til today...too busy lurkin' around here.[/QUOTE]

I think this is new, and I need to turn it off.

[quote name='dfg']I think this is new, and I need to turn it off.[/QUOTE]

And everyone's email box explodes when the big sale hits.

Apart from the DLC, the PC version of Dark Souls doesn't suffer from the frame rate issues and muddy textures of the console versions. (Assuming you have a decent graphics card -- works good @ 1920x1200 on my GTX 260)

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']LOL Jade Empire is 75% off[/QUOTE]

Are you effing kidding me, that was the first game I added to my wishlist when I made my account on Steam... such memories... snatched, obviously! :applause:

[quote name='MidnightRythms']I'm sure you guys were aware of this but Steam has the ability to send you an email if any of your games on your wishlist goes on sale. I didn't know this til today...too busy lurkin' around here.[/QUOTE]
Since when? :hot:

[quote name='Motoki']And everyone's email box explodes when the big sale hits.[/QUOTE]

Not sure how it is set up since I can't find this option, but ideally it would be set as a price alert instead of a generic "its on sale" alert.

[quote name='travathian']Not sure how it is set up since I can't find this option, but ideally it would be set as a price alert instead of a generic "its on sale" alert.[/QUOTE]

You can find it under Account Details -> Email Preferences.

[quote name='Frithsblessing']I've been playing this game on Origin and it runs really smooth. The game play and graphics are really good, but the story and main character feel empty. It's a tired story and the main character is bland. It might have to do with she doesn't have a voice. That didn't bother me in DA, but for some reason in this game it does. Despite it's flaws I really enjoy it. I only wish I had more time to play it- work and kids.[/QUOTE]
Yeah when I was giving it a run I got bored fairly quick. Very uncompelling game.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']At best, that's a backlog of modest proportions. You've got a ways to go before "immense" can be handed out. ;)[/QUOTE]
Yeah...some people have 1,000 games+. I just started my PC backlog in October or so and I'm at 200.

Going to have to get Jade Empire. tho I still have the Xbox copy.

[quote name='MidnightRythms']You can find it under Account Details -> Email Preferences.[/QUOTE]

I had to restart Steam, at which time it did an update. Funny that Steam keeps all my games updated in the background, but can't update itself . . .

I was just eyeing my Wishlist in preparation for the winter sale and have come to realize that during Steam sales I seem to buy everything but the games I apparently want because my list is as long as ever but my backlog keeps growing.

What is up with that and who can I blame?

[quote name='Palinn']I was just eyeing my Wishlist in preparation for the winter sale and have come to realize that during Steam sales I seem to buy everything but the games I apparently want because my list is as long as ever but my backlog keeps growing.

What is up with that and who can I blame?[/QUOTE]

I always keep my wishlist at 10 and every new year I vow to lower it. It's still at 10 even though I knocked some games off it, they get replaced by new ones. Drives me nuts because it keeps happening year-after-year.

Actually, my wish list has shrunk a decent amount. There are some game that probably will always be on there, because I've either owned or played it elsewhere and it is on there in case of contests. There just aren't that many games anymore that I really want on Steam that I don't already own.

Half the stuff on my wishlist are indie games I just keep there to remind myself I'd want them in a Humble/Royale/Gala bundle.

My wish list isn't a wishlist. It's very loose collection of stuff that I'm interested in seeing go on sale. The only function is to give me a one-stop list to check sale prices.

[quote name='Motoki']Yes. It sucks. Seriously.

I feel like lobbying Valve to allow for trading and reselling of games just so I can give it to you so you don't waste your money on it like I did.

If you want to buy it buy it but then you must come back and tell me how much it sucked and how right I was. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Wow, I went looking to see if the community had bothered to fix the game with mods. It's very rare that a game is so bad that no one even bothers to try to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back