Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#11221 motoki

motoki

Entitled Hypocritical Playfire Pirate with Double Standards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

So I've decided that (for now) the best way to handle 3rd party DRM with Enhanced Steam is to simply scan the page for certain keywords and if it matches those keywords, display a warning. Something like this:

Posted Image

or:

Posted Image

what do you guys think? Will that work?

That would be awesome. It still doesn't help with the pages that don't list it at all, but I suppos people just need to keep bitching at Valve about that.

I would personally prefer to see the type of DRM however if that is too much of a pain then any big red flag warning in general would be most welcome.

Some of it is buried way the hell down on the fine print on those pages.

mdUFwSE.png

#11222 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

So I've decided that (for now) the best way to handle 3rd party DRM with Enhanced Steam is to simply scan the page for certain keywords and if it matches those keywords, display a warning. Something like this:

Spoiler

I like it. Definitely go with the latter option since the obvious next step is for the user to check and see what DRM it is since we all have our preferences.

Or is it not so much a choice as showing the difference in what it does if it can't determine it on its own? I may have misunderstood. But in any case, I like it.

#11223 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

Sims Medieval not being updated is a shame, I love that game.

I'm afraid to get the expansion because I'm worried I wont be able to patch it, I know there's a patch that exists, or a work around or something actually but I don't want to get it and brick my entire game.

I have both the base and the expansion to Sims Medieval and the game works fine with the unofficial Windows 8 patch with the Steam version with no issues at all. Maybe EA will fix it someday but not holding my breath on that.

Also, remember you can register you keys for sims games over at sims3.com and then have them added to your Origin account so if you ever have an issue with the game on Steam or decide you want to use the non-Steam version you can always download it from Origin.

The versions of the Sims games you download from Origin do not require the Origin client, so once you download them you can close Origin and not have to have it open at all to run those games.

mdUFwSE.png

#11224 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

I like it. Definitely go with the latter option since the obvious next step is for the user to check and see what DRM it is since we all have our preferences.

Thanks! Actually, the first screenshot is just a general "match" against the right sidebar saying "3rd party drm:" and the second is a "match" for the page saying "Games for Windows LIVE".

I'll try to add in as many specific targets as I can though.

#11225 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

I've been picking up a lot more games lately that don't scale up to my full screen res (what do you mean 2560x1440 is uncommon?) and hate how they start fullscreen and mess up the position of all the other windows I have open, usually cramming them into the corner making me have to resize and reposition every time I play a new game. Is there an app out there that will force games to start windowed on first run?

Very nice. :applause:
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#11226 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

This sale for me:

Bought:
Bethesda Pack (GamersGate)
The newest Humble Bundle, I guess, if you count that (non-BTA)

Gifted to me:
Hotline Miami
Coconut Queen
Doom Rails
Darksiders 2
Penny Arcade - Rainslick 3

Gifted to someone else
Half-Minute Hero

I might pick something up from the encore weekend at some point today, but probably not.

Not all that an exciting sale and not all that much that I wanted.

Pretty happy with my Bethesda pack.

Any highly recommended Skyrim mods I should be using? I spent several hours yesterday downloading and configuring mods and I'm really enjoying playing through with them.

#11227 Jaysonguy

Jaysonguy

Mr. Wonderful

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

I have both the base and the expansion to Sims Medieval and the game works fine with the fan patch with the Steam version with no issues at all. Maybe EA will fix it someday but not holding my breath on that.

Also, remember you can register you keys for sims games over at sims3.com and then have them added to your Origin account so if you ever have an issue with the game on Steam or decide you want to use the non-Steam version you can always download it from Origin.

The versions of the Sims games you download from Origin do not require the Origin client, so once you download them you can close Origin and not have to have it open at all to run those games.

After reading the Sims Medieval threads over on EA either am I

I have the base game on Origin, so if I bought the expansion I would use the key to unlock it over there.

Does the fan patch need Origin to be off when it's running?

Editor in chief at PanicGamer.com
Steam ID: TheRealJaysonguy
We're looking for people who want to review games, interested? Email: jobs@panicgamer.com

#11228 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

My haul: (Had to spoiler it because it's that long)
Spoiler

#11229 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

After reading the Sims Medieval threads over on EA either am I

I have the base game on Origin, so if I bought the expansion I would use the key to unlock it over there.

Does the fan patch need Origin to be off when it's running?

No it doesn't mess with Origin or Steam at all and it works with either version.

I don't think you can buy a sims expansion without the base though. Remember you had that issue with the Sims 3? You can put it in your inventory but then you can't see the CD key until it's redeemed. Steam would let you redeem an expansion if you don't own the base game on Steam.

I guess in your case if you got Medieval from Origin just kind of keep an eye out for a sale somewhere else on the expansion.

For me I was worried it would disappear again from Steam.

mdUFwSE.png

#11230 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

Any highly recommended Skyrim mods I should be using? I spent several hours yesterday downloading and configuring mods and I'm really enjoying playing through with them.

I don't do tons of modding and most of mine are just graphic enhancements. Gamewise, I'm using Deadly Dragons, Lightweight Potions, Left-Hand Rings and one of the various "rich merchant" mods I can't remember.

#11231 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

I've been picking up a lot more games lately that don't scale up to my full screen res (what do you mean 2560x1440 is uncommon?) and hate how they start fullscreen and mess up the position of all the other windows I have open, usually cramming them into the corner making me have to resize and reposition every time I play a new game. Is there an app out there that will force games to start windowed on first run?

This.
So annoying on my dual monitors to have one of them go to 640x480 and screw up my window placements. Even 1080p can be bad as I have 2x2048x1152 monitors.

#11232 Jaysonguy

Jaysonguy

Mr. Wonderful

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

No it doesn't mess with Origin or Steam at all and it works with either version.

I don't think you can buy a sims expansion without the base though. Remember you had that issue with the Sims 3? You can put it in your inventory but then you can't see the CD key until it's redeemed. Steam would let you redeem an expansion if you don't own the base game on Steam.

I guess in your case if you got Medieval from Origin just kind of keep an eye out for a sale somewhere else on the expansion.

For me I was worried it would disappear again from Steam.

CRAP! You're right!

Do not do what you did before either, I will overcome this myself because your generosity is unmatched (plus it's hard enough to look for that something special to get you without being on the lookout for TWO things lol)

Editor in chief at PanicGamer.com
Steam ID: TheRealJaysonguy
We're looking for people who want to review games, interested? Email: jobs@panicgamer.com

#11233 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

My Haul (Games I bought for myself + Gifts I got)

From Steam
Fairy Bloom Freesia
They Bleed Pixels
Doom Rails (Gift)
Legend of Fae (Gift)
Wanderlust: Rebirth (Gift)
Penny Arcade Ep 3 (Gift)
Giana Sisters: TD
Mark of the Ninja
Castle Crashers (Gift)
Tomb Raider Collection
Dawnguard and Hearthfire for Skyrim
Total War Battles: Shogun (The iOS game port)

From Gamer's Gate
Alan Wake's American Nightmare
Legacy of Kain pack

So I got about 23 games and 2 dlc. I am happy.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#11234 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

(plus it's hard enough to look for that something special to get you without being on the lookout for TWO things lol)

I bet he doesn't have Agricultural Simulator: Historical Farming!

Combing all the fun of farming with the thrill of living in the 1950's...

#11235 MC Kage

MC Kage

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

Liked my haul. Noted my gifts as well

Spoiler

Edited by MC Kage, 06 January 2013 - 09:21 PM.

Posted Image
Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 | XBL: MC Kage | Official NBA 2K13 PC Thread | The BackLoggery

#11236 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

To be fair Cherry Tree High Comedy Club is made with RPG Maker so that's why the low res. Other RPG maker game like To the Moon for instance have lower resolutions. A number of adventure games that run on AGS or SCUMMVM do as well. Also a not insubstantial number of indie games I have come across in general.

Maybe because I tend to buy a lot of the above, 640x480 neither surprises me nor bothers me that much. Usually I will run them in a window anyway and in some cases there are options to upscale them with various filters.

Thanks for explaining that! I wasn't aware of that limitation of RPG maker games. I'm used to 640x480 on old games (which are the only ones I've run in SCUMMVM, which I mainly run on my phone). I really would have liked some simple way to scale the window up.

I think it's useful in bringing the DRM front-and-center. I didn't recognize the difference since it was obvious to me that it was simply grabbing the info from DRM label on the store page. One thought would be maybe to provide a link to one or two of the DRM-on-steam threads, like the figjabaittis (w/e) that Motoki linked.

The resolution surprises me, too. Probably wouldn't have stopped me from buying it had I known beforehand.

On that note, here's my list of sale gains! I didn't bother including prices. Unless marked otherwise, items were bought through Steam at their best deal prices.

Purchased for myself:

Spoiler

Gifts and non-Steam items of note:
Spoiler

^_^ nod. I just like to note things that people may rage about. Despite not liking the demo, I'm thinking of picking it up GG with blue coins (since I don't have the faith in GG blue coins that I used to).

Does anyone wtih Cherry Tree High Comedy Club know what the DRM on the steam version is? I recall the original version had some unpleasant DRM.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#11237 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

I'll just leave this here:

Posted Image

Seriously... wtf?

#11238 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

I think it's useful in bringing the DRM front-and-center. I didn't recognize the difference since it was obvious to me that it was simply grabbing the info from DRM label on the store page. One thought would be maybe to provide a link to one or two of the DRM-on-steam threads, like the figjabaittis (w/e) that Motoki linked.

Yeah I've been using that list to "test" out certain titles to make sure it matches correctly. Unfortunately, their naming conventions on this aren't universal ("Games for Windows - Live" and "Games for Windows Live", etc) are all separate text matches.

#11239 MKScorpion

MKScorpion

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

Posted Image

Seriously... wtf?

lmao :lol:
Posted Image

#11240 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

Gotta love Rockstar.

#11241 TurboNerd

TurboNerd

I'm looking for co-op buddies! PM me!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

Is Anno 2070 a good deal at $20?

fs_pc.png fs_xbox.png
I'm looking for co-op buddies on XBOX Live and Steam! PM me!

#11242 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

The cheapest I've ever seen it (for North America markets) was $15 from Amazon when it was base $20 with the $5 Ubisoft coupon.

Still too much money for me and some are vehemently opposed to its DRM scheme.

#11243 MC Kage

MC Kage

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

Yeah I've been using that list to "test" out certain titles to make sure it matches correctly. Unfortunately, their naming conventions on this aren't universal ("Games for Windows - Live" and "Games for Windows Live", etc) are all separate text matches.

Appreciate the work!

Lol @ GTA IV

Posted Image
Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 | XBL: MC Kage | Official NBA 2K13 PC Thread | The BackLoggery

#11244 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

I like to pretend the game doesn't exist, because of the included horrible TAGES DRM. Can't recommend buying it unless it's $5 or less.

#11245 Drizzt

Drizzt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

I've always been amazed whenever I see anyone on my friends list in Steam start up GTA4 and not immediately crash out of the game with all the freaking DRM that title has.

#11246 TurboNerd

TurboNerd

I'm looking for co-op buddies! PM me!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

Ewww, thanks for the warning about the DRM. Pass.

fs_pc.png fs_xbox.png
I'm looking for co-op buddies on XBOX Live and Steam! PM me!

#11247 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

Ahh, I had baselessly assumed that the DRM description field was sufficiently structured to simply match against it. It sounds like you're having to match against all possible forms of DRM.

Spoiler
Seriously... wtf?

Sad but true.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#11248 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

Posted Image

#11249 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

Ahh, I had baselessly assumed that the DRM description field was sufficiently structured to simply match against it. It sounds like you're having to match against all possible forms of DRM.

What's worse is that it looks like some of the pages on Steam use different text encoding, meaning sometimes no matter what I do, javascript cannot detect it. An example of this is Resident Evil's use of GFWL.

Posted Image

LOL I was actually gonna post that when the question was asked, but I thought maybe this thread had enough red in it :lol:

#11250 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

Posted Image

Seriously... wtf?

Seriously, that's ALL TRUE.
Consider also Steam DRM (if you access game directly while within Steam) and you got 4 DRM layers. ;)