Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#12001 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• Silenced

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

It's a roguelikelike space sim, I'm not sure if you CAN find anything to judge it against.

The best port of call is YouTube to look at some "Let's Play" videos as they'll give a good idea of what FTL is about.

For me? Highly recommended. Some will hate it though.

I watched the WTF for it. The biscuitman seemed pretty into it. Still wasn't convinced.

I'm still hoping for the demo of FTL to come out. Tempted at $5 again though. Also it's $5 at the dev's site, which gives steam+drm free. http://www.ftlgame.com/

From the FTL site.

A demo would be awesome!

This is the game I've played most similar to FTL: http://www.desura.co...-infinite-space

It was in an Indie Royale.

Thanks! I have that and apparently it now activates on Steam? So I DLed that and will try to give it a go soon.

#12002 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

I kind of want I Get This Call Every Day to get greenlit, even though I've worked in crappy call centers to the point of having PTSD and don't think I could ever play it.

I think I have to buy it from the dev anyway though out of pity because the dude still works in that awful call center!

I Get This Call Every Day was released on December 21st, 2012 and is currently available for sale directly from davidsgallant.com. Pay as little as $2, or increase your contribution to help support David escape the day job that inspired the game.

There's an interesting Kotaku article about it too called I'm glad I played this depressing game about working in a call center.

http://cloud.steampo...58.resizedimage

Exactly what it says on the box - a lightly filtered experienced pulled from the creator's day job in a customer service call centre, made interactive in a point-&-click format. Lose politely, or lose spectacularly - the choice is yours.

• A branching narrative pulled from personal experience.
  • Over 250 lines of fully-voiced dialogue.
  • Terrible art conveys a terrible work environment. :rofl:
  • A brief, digestible piece of audible interactive fiction.
  • Featuring the song Self-Discovery and Other Broad Generalities by Pete Mascio, from the album I Am Alphabet Jim.
I'd rather play a game like this - admittedly not fun, and even kind of ugly-looking - than play most triple-A games out there.
- Patricia Hernandez, Kotaku

Is it fun? I suppose not. Is it worthy? Yes.
- Kevin VanOrd

Gallant does such a good job capturing the experience of being a low-level cubicled office drone, and he does so in a way that is (believe it or not) unfiltered and unexaggerated.
- Chloi Rad, IndieStatik

With all the AAA studios aiming for "realism" every year, I get the sense that David's game is one of the most realistic I've ever played.
- Matt Rix, creator of Trainyard

It's like MS Paint blew its load all over my eyes... and it burned a lot.
- Sara Gross, artist (Cook, Serve, Delicious!, KRUNCH)

steam_sig.png

#12003 stupidproz1

stupidproz1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

Few questions guys.

1. If you ever played LOTR: War in the north.. How would you rate it?
2. Anyone know if Gamestop has it for the cheapest right now? 10$.
3. Is it worth every dollar?

1, I havn't beat it yet, I'm like 6 hours but I have to say up to this point I'd rate it a solid 9.5/10

2. They have it the cheapest price right now but it has been as low as $4-$5

3. I would drop $10 on it for sure knowing what I know now. It has to be in the top 5 if not best co-op RPG out there. Probably the best way I can describe it is co-op Dragon Age Origins, kinda mixed with Trine for its 3 character aspect.

#12004 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

I kind of want I Get This Call Every Day to get greenlit, even though I've worked in crappy call centers to the point of having PTSD and don't think I could ever play it.

I think I have to buy it from the dev anyway though out of pity because the dude still works in that awful call center!

Interesting. If I like Skyrim should I play this game?

#12005 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

^^ I've heard LOTR:WitN can be a hassle to get working in co-op. Might be thinking of another title.

Bit o' bitterness goin' on in this thread... Even though I don't use spreadsheets for my backlog, I'm not down on them in general, but the point seems to be if gaming as a pastime is stressing you out, might be time to reevaluate. Of course, if you're just venting on a intrawebs forums—unheard of!—good times.

I bumped The Darkness II and Spec Ops: the Line to the front of my backlog (and finished them) mostly because of all the talk I'd heard about them on here. It also helps that I'd heard they were short. And 100% achievements aren't ridiculously hard. travathian's suggestion seems solid, too.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#12006 Therapy

Therapy

You Know You Need Me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

This thread is turning out to become quite depressing, what with all this talk about handling backlog and jabberin' at each other about it :P

Myself, I don't really have a strategy. I just pick a game I think I'll be into at the time and play that. If I get bored, I pick another. Simple as that.

As for spreadsheets: they're damn handy. I have a spreadsheet to keep track of my music CD collection. 631 and counting :D

What do you do if you randomly pick a sequel to a game you haven't played yet? Far Cry 3, for example, I want to play it, but I've got to finish the first two, and Far Cry is hard. I can't just run and gun through it like it was CoD or something. Do you let yourself "reroll" in that scenario?

I do really like that idea, though. It's like a video game lottery. I'd have to create a second spreadsheet, though. I just keep an excel of all of them with a box for finished that I mark yes, no end, or leave blank.

As far as I know, neither of the Far Cry games are really connected to each other story-wise. So if that's what keeping you from playing FC3 I think you'll be safe.

#12007 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

Few questions guys.

It's ok if you have someone to play with. If you don't hit any bugs, I'd put it at a 7.5. If you hit the Mirkwood bug, or one of several bugs, you can't finish the game. The Mirkwood bug is unfortunately near the end. And it happened to me on PS3.

#12008 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

Backlog strategy: Stare at game list and start one up. If it sucks, move it to the hidden "Crappy" category and move on.

fs_overall.png

#12009 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

Interesting. If I like Skyrim should I play this game?

Well they both let you live out another life in a harsh environment. ;)

steam_sig.png

#12010 Bizzquik

Bizzquik

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

Is Ravaged fun?

It has a Metacritic score of 65 (not great), but has (partial) controller support - which I like.

Is it worth a free (weekend) download? Vehicles play a big role in it - is it like a poor man's Battlefield 3?

Steam ID: Bizzquik
Xbox Live Gamertag: Bizzquik
PSN Network ID: Bummblue
WiiU ID: Bizzquik

Proud user of PinnacleGameProfiler: turning beloved keyboard+mouse PC games into controller-enabled, couch-friendly gaming experiences.

#12011 Therapy

Therapy

You Know You Need Me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

Is Ravaged fun?

It has a Metacritic score of 65 (not great), but has (partial) controller support - which I like.

Is it worth a free (weekend) download? Vehicles play a big role in it - is it like a poor man's Battlefield 3?

If you're even going as far as wondering if it's worth it to download and test it for free, it's probably not for you.

#12012 Bizzquik

Bizzquik

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

If you're even going as far as wondering if it's worth it to download and test it for free, it's probably not for you.

LoL. Uh, yeah....you're probably right. :lol:
Just wanted to know if it was anyone's cup of tea, I guess.

Steam ID: Bizzquik
Xbox Live Gamertag: Bizzquik
PSN Network ID: Bummblue
WiiU ID: Bizzquik

Proud user of PinnacleGameProfiler: turning beloved keyboard+mouse PC games into controller-enabled, couch-friendly gaming experiences.

#12013 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

^^ I've heard LOTR:WitN can be a hassle to get working in co-op. Might be thinking of another title.

Bit o' bitterness goin' on in this thread... Even though I don't use spreadsheets for my backlog, I'm not down on them in general, but the point seems to be if gaming as a pastime is stressing you out, might be time to reevaluate. Of course, if you're just venting on a intrawebs forums—unheard of!—good times.

I'm not bitter towards them. I just see no point in talking down to other gamers or CAGs for that matter. It's not like the way I go about wasting my time can in some way be inferior to the way you go about wasting yours, so why talk shit about it? If I was in here throwing homophobic slurs and railing against women, sure, but because I'm indecisive about my backlog and use a spreadsheet? That's ridiculous.

It's not the hobby that stresses me out. It's that every time somebody talks about how great a game is (Spec Ops, Far Cry 3), I immediately want to be playing that game. So I've always got this impulse to play everything at once, and as a result, I frequently wind up playing nothing.

I think I'm going to give Trav's method a try, that actually sounds like a good way for me to go about satisfying all of my cravings at once.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I blog about playing video games: www.heavyattack.com

#12014 travathian

travathian

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

Free, as in monetary cost, but not free as time invested. So I disagree. There are lots of "free" games by your definition, many of which are definitely not worth playing to me, nor even worth taking the time to download and try out based on what others have told me.

#12015 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• Silenced

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

LoL. Uh, yeah....you're probably right. :lol:
Just wanted to know if it was anyone's cup of tea, I guess.

I beta tested it and couldn't find anyone to play with. It looked decent enough and felt like it would be fun if you could get a game going. I guess you could compare it to the earlier Battlefield games just in a sort of desert apocalypse setting. I might give it a go this weekend since there will hopefully be people to play with. Apparently my beta got upgraded to complete game so that was nice.

Edit:

Also, digging the thread title change to reflect the weekend deal.

#12016 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

Free, as in monetary cost, but not free as time invested. So I disagree. There are lots of "free" games by your definition, many of which are definitely not worth playing to me, nor even worth taking the time to download and try out based on what others have told me.

While that is wonderful the best determinant on whether or not it will be enjoyable for that specific person is for them to actually test it. That will always be the best way even if you know someone with near identical tastes as you.

But also not worth the time downloading? You mean the couple of seconds that you are actually involved in the process? Unless you watch the thing download you are only going to 'waste' less than a minute on something that may be terrible. It would be dreadful to click a few buttons and then proceed to check CAG compared to simply checking CAG. Of course you do have to test it out and that takes time, but then again we play video games.

#12017 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

Is Ravaged fun?

I haven't played it nor do I have interest, but all I can say is that it launched at $25, less than 3 months ago.

#12018 Therapy

Therapy

You Know You Need Me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

While that is wonderful the best determinant on whether or not it will be enjoyable for that specific person is for them to actually test it. That will always be the best way even if you know someone with near identical tastes as you.

But also not worth the time downloading? You mean the couple of seconds that you are actually involved in the process? Unless you watch the thing download you are only going to 'waste' less than a minute on something that may be terrible. It would be dreadful to click a few buttons and then proceed to check CAG compared to simply checking CAG. Of course you do have to test it out and that takes time, but then again we play video games.

Agreed. travathian other than the minimal amount of time it takes to do as descrived above, you seem to think it's a waste to invest time in games you don't like and I agree. But if you're doubting if it's gonna be fun or not (like Bizquick does) you won't know until you've tested it. And well, since it's free to test... he should go for it.

Of course it's ok to ask opinions about it as well.

Wouldn't it be a waste when you just skipped the game while it could have been really fun? Although what you don't know, doesn't hurt I guess.

#12019 sleeping_lights_on

sleeping_lights_on

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

God dang Solar 2 looks like bundle fodder.

#12020 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

Also, digging the thread title change to reflect the weekend deal.

I updated some OP formatting and games the last couple days. The Ravaged weekend seemed like the perfect time to see if PMing eastx works. :D

#12021 nbread

nbread

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

Some of us spend hours everyday in spreadsheets as part of our jobs.

As a result, we use spreadsheets in our lives (work and non-work) as 2nd nature. I track tons of things in my life with spreadsheets because I'm so accustomed to using them. And while they're not fun/lame/too geeky for some, for others they're the opposite. :)

#12022 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

POST YOUR SPREADSHEETS!

Anybody have one with cost/average formulas built in?

#12023 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

Few questions guys.

1. 7/10 - surprisingly enjoyable!
2. No, see below.
3. I would buy it again.

I got my copy on Green Man Gaming for $4 on 8/17/2012, so it's certainly been cheaper.

Same.

I played it co-op a bit too and had no problems with it whatsoever. I made no adjustments to anything... it worked flawlessly. Such is luck with computing though, right? I've seen others here and there saying they had issues.

76561197971332172.png

#12024 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

I'm not bitter towards them. I just see no point in talking down to other gamers or CAGs for that matter. It's not like the way I go about wasting my time can in some way be inferior to the way you go about wasting yours, so why talk shit about it? If I was in here throwing homophobic slurs and railing against women, sure, but because I'm indecisive about my backlog and use a spreadsheet? That's ridiculous.

It's not the hobby that stresses me out. It's that every time somebody talks about how great a game is (Spec Ops, Far Cry 3), I immediately want to be playing that game. So I've always got this impulse to play everything at once, and as a result, I frequently wind up playing nothing.

I think I'm going to give Trav's method a try, that actually sounds like a good way for me to go about satisfying all of my cravings at once.

What? There were arguments that I was not involved in? I was told this simply was not possible. This won't do at all! Next time make sure you clear your arguments with me first! 8-)

In all seriousness, it's the internet so everybody's got to have a say (if i had a nickel for every time someone proceeds to lecture me on why I don't need to have a game on Steam...) , but to hell with them and do what you want with you game collection the way you want. Personally I hate spreadsheets, they remind me of work and I would never want to spend my leisure time on them BUT if that works for you then go for it. Whatever works. If it's getting your games played instead if sitting there then it really doesn't matter what opinionated Joe Internet thinks.

You know, someone should actually make a game about making and using a spreadsheet to manage your games collection. It could be like that Call Center game, something that simulates things in real life that suck and are a pain in the ass, err, I mean that are wonderful and beautiful. Hooray Spread Tycoon! :lol:

steam_sig.png

#12025 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

You know, someone should actually make a game about making and using a spreadsheet to manage your games collection. It could be like that Call Center game, something that simulates things in real life that suck and are a pain in the ass, err, I mean that are wonderful and beautiful. Hooray Spread Tycoon! :lol:

Get the guy who did the Code Hero Kickstarter to do a Spreadsheet Hero. What could go wrong?

#12026 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:48 AM

Oh, Motoki, you always find the most amusing titles.

Sadly, I've had the misfortune of working in a call center for a few months. I'm quite sure I don't need to elaborate any further, but I will say that "I Get This Call Every Day" sounds like an amusing diversion.

POST YOUR SPREADSHEETS!

Anybody have one with cost/average formulas built in?

Oh dear.

#12027 imac2much

imac2much

The Angry Baker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:48 AM

I wasn't aware of people being bitter about how they organize their backlog (that's what I get for skipping a page or two in the thread), but I just wanted to chime in on the spreadsheet love :) I have mine organized by date, game, purchase price, playtime, backlog rating (how badly I want to play it), game rating (once I've beaten it), date beaten, and I'm currently working on getting metacritic ratings up for games I haven't played yet. I also have some formulae to track how much money I'm spending, which games have the best "rating per dollar" and "playtime per dollar", etc. I'm sure most people wouldn't care about any of these things, but for some reason I derive a sick kind of enjoyment of tracking all this, and when I've beaten a game, it's helpful to sort my backlog by "backlog rating" to remember which games in a genre I was once excited to try out (but had perhaps forgotten by that point).

Now that I'm married and generally spend only 5-10 hours a week playing games, I have to be more discerning of my time than my money when it comes to games. I like Trav's "strategy", though what I tend to do is have one game that will probably take 20-50 hours to complete (which would take me several months at best) and a couple shorter or indie games on the side (which is how I've beaten FTL, Mark of the Ninja, etc recently).

Does anyone else have the problem where they aren't enjoying a game as much as expected, but having already invested several hours into it, find themselves having difficulty "giving up" on said game? Maybe it's just my personality, but I find myself hunkering down to finish a game even when it's obvious I'm not having much fun with it, solely so I can finish the game. This is where I currently find myself with Darksiders 2, having spent a dozen hours on it before December, but I put it on hold to play a bunch of other games (FTL, Dishonored, XCOM, Mark of the Ninja), and now I'm dreading going back to it haha.... First world problems.
Posted Image

#12028 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is now available for preorder. The 4-pack price is cheaper than the GMG price by a quarter.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#12029 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is now available for preorder. The 4-pack price is cheaper than the GMG price by a quarter.

But no hats! The horror!

steam_sig.png

#12030 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

Free Ravaged weekend, YES! I can die happy.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png