Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#13081 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

I already grabbed a 4-pack and will be playing it exclusively with other people. So it should be fun. Just hope I can get the third person I gifted the game to show so we can actually have a dungeon master (who is probably going to be an asshole).

Also of note, the 4 Pack for this game comes out to $6 a person if the host has the 20% off on Gamersgate.

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#13082 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

I bought Sonic Racing from Steam over Christmas. It is pretty fun, controls well, and is easily worth it. The only problem is that it has frame rate issues. Well, it did for me anyway. My computer should easily be able to run it, but after I did a little research, I found out that it was just poor programming on Sega's part. Here's a quote from, I believe, a programmer...

"The truth is actually a lot simpler. The game sometimes needs to compile shaders for effects based on the video card you have. So sometimes if it encounters a shader it's not seen before, there will be a small stutter as the video card goes 'Oh wait! This is new, one sec...'. All the new shaders get stored in a shader cache, so once you've played all courses with all characters and fired all the weapons, it'll stop happening.

If we had every PC in the world, with every combination of graphics card, driver software and DX version, we'd have pre-compiled the lot, but we don't - so this is the best compromise we could make :P"

Link... http://forums.sega.c...es-and-stutters

I also read that ATI cards had more of an issue with this. Mine is an ATI card. I ended up deleting everything that was in the ShaderCache directory, and let it start from scratch. My kids and I have played for about 14 hours so far. It still happens, but it is not nearly as frequent. My advice is to let your kids (or borrow some if you don't have any) play for the first several hours.

With all that said, I still recommend it, especially for just a few bucks.

Yeah it's a very common issue for many AMD cards (happens with mine too). The sequel SHOULD run better, this is a quote from the dev about the sequel (on performance issues)

Originally Posted by S0L
Now... The new engine works differently. We have a stock set of shaders that artist can use, but they're all pre-compiled. So we get a huge performance gain - and hopefully much better cross hardware compatibility. The shaders are still configurable by the artists and are created on demand, so we're not sacrificing visuals. If anything, it works better for the art team this way around as they don't need to be quite so technical.

You live and learn is the short answer here...!

#13083 aus_nacht

aus_nacht

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Probably gonna bite on the bundle.
http://www.greenmang...edgehog-bundle/

Pretty sweet for 21$ Need to use the .2 off code.

Crap there's a bundle? I wonder if I can get GMG to do 8 refunds.

Edited by aus_nacht, 22 January 2013 - 08:18 PM.

"Just a heads up: we're gonna have a superconductor turned up full blast and pointed at you for the duration of this next test. I'll be honest - we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks. No idea what it'll do. Probably nothing. Best-case scenario, you might get some superpowers. Worst case, some tumors, which we'll cut out. " - C. Johnson

#13084 soulkyo

soulkyo

Veterinary Medicine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

Has anyone gotten Doom Rails to work on Windows 8 Pro 64 bit?

I've just tried with every single compatibility option and nothing. On the other hand, I ended with tons of active Doom Rails.exe processes :lol:

Edited by soulkyo, 22 January 2013 - 09:39 PM.

76561198071042127.png     logo.png

#13085 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

I've just tried with every single compatibility option and nothing. In the other hand, I ended with tons of active Doom Rails.exe processes :lol:

I'd like to make you feel better and tell you Doom Rails is as bad as it looks, but it's actually a blast.

Hope Windows 8 players can find a workaround and join in on some intense 8 player rollercoaster combat action soon.

#13086 soulkyo

soulkyo

Veterinary Medicine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

I'd like to make you feel better and tell you Doom Rails is as bad as it looks, but it's actually a blast.

Hope Windows 8 players can find a workaround and join in on some intense 8 player rollercoaster combat action soon.

I hope so too. Doom Rails looks like fun :lol:

76561198071042127.png     logo.png

#13087 travathian

travathian

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

Because this thread has been silent way too long...

D&D Ultimate DD going on sale for $11.99 @ Gamestop tomorrow.

Thread: http://www.cheapassg...d.php?t=336781

Hilarious. You can drop $12 and get hundreds upon hundreds of hours of CRPG goodness.

or

You can spend $5 per module (or $12 for core books) for electronic copies of 30 year old PnP RPG goodness.

http://www.dndclassics.com/

TSR/WotC/Hasbro is beyond inept.

#13088 darkling23

darkling23

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

Not to defend WotC/Hasbro particularly, as I'm not overall fond of how they run their business, but there is nothing wrong with them digitally publishing their old tabletop materials and charging something for them. In fact, that's a big step in the right direction considering how, just a few years ago, their goal was to bury their old materials so people would buy the new edition.

And what exactly do you expect RPG PDFs's to cost? Also, comparing video game prices to tabletop RPG prices is kinda like comparing apples and oranges.

#13089 Rerujnoc

Rerujnoc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

Not to defend WotC/Hasbro particularly, as I'm not overall fond of how they run their business, but there is nothing wrong with them digitally publishing their old tabletop materials and charging something for them. In fact, that's a big step in the right direction considering how, just a few years ago, their goal was to bury their old materials so people would buy the new edition.

And what exactly do you expect RPG PDFs's to cost? Also, comparing video game prices to tabletop RPG prices is kinda like comparing apples and oranges.

I agree with you this is a really good step in the right direction for them.

#13090 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

Yep, you can't really compare the video games to PnP games. It's a different dynamic and (often) a different target audience. The percentage of people who play the video games who would even consider playing the PnP games is extremely small.

#13091 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

I tend to prefer apples; however, when taking into account my preference for orange juice over apple juice, I believe as fruits in their totality they're sort of a wash.

#13092 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

I don't have any experience with tabletop DnD outside of an episode of Community, but don't they technically offer you infinite gameplay?

But yeah, the digital book marker overall is horrendous with pricing structure compared to VG or even MP3.

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#13093 travathian

travathian

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

Not to defend WotC/Hasbro particularly, as I'm not overall fond of how they run their business, but there is nothing wrong with them digitally publishing their old tabletop materials and charging something for them.

I never claimed otherwise.

In fact, that's a big step in the right direction considering how, just a few years ago, their goal was to bury their old materials so people would buy the new edition.

Except it wasn't. They did it because they went batshit crazy thinking that selling pdfs encouraged piracy, and proceeded to try and sue various torrent sites.

And what exactly do you expect RPG PDFs's to cost?

Seriously? For 20-30 year old material? Treat it like Steam does. Offer stuff so cheap that people will buy it without even thinking about it, will horde it, or will buy it just to gift away. $1 module, $2 sourcebook, $4 core book. Then come up with cool packages.

Also, comparing video game prices to tabletop RPG prices is kinda like comparing apples and oranges.

Not really, both are forms of entertainment with a very similar fanbase.

Yep, you can't really compare the video games to PnP games. It's a different dynamic and (often) a different target audience. The percentage of people who play the video games who would even consider playing the PnP games is extremely small.

Of course you can. I am not comparing "video games" in general, I am comparing CRPGs, specifically those branded and using the same ruleset as the PnP version. You can replay CRPGs, just like you can replay a module. $12 gets me 8 CRPG + expansions versus 3 pdf modules. Their pricing is so out of whack it is ridiculous.

edit: For reference, the 2nd ed ruleset, plus all the companion books and other misc stuff was available for $20, on CD, like 15 years ago.

#13094 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

I just entered my 4,000th Steamgifts giveaway. I've won 8 giveaways, with 3 of those being Group giveaways (from the CAG group) and 1 of them being a developer giveaway with 15,000 copies and 14,000-something entries.

So basically, I've won 1 out of every 1,000 public giveaways I've entered, or 0.1%.

Strangely, I've been entering giveaways there for 6 months, and 6 of my 8 wins were in the first two months.

Just thought I'd share. :)

#13095 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

But yeah, the digital book marker overall is horrendous with pricing structure compared to VG or even MP3.

I guess in some situations that's true, but in each of those cases you're paying for the license, which often makes the price identical. MP3s, when you buy an album still costs only a few dollars less than it does at retail, and most games are priced identically. I think with books we're expecting the kind of dirt cheap prices offered by second-hand stores, but the author still has to eat.

It would be nice to see more steam-esque deals from retailers like Amazon from their kindle library, though. Whenever I see a daily kindle deal from Amazon that I'm even remotely interested in for only a couple of bucks I jump on it immediately. My digital book backlog doesn't leer at me from my shelves or weigh several hundred pounds while moving like my physical one does.

I just entered my 4,000th Steamgifts giveaway. I've won 8 giveaways, with 3 of those being Group giveaways (from the CAG group) and 1 of them being a developer giveaway with 15,000 copies and 14,000-something entries.

So basically, I've won 1 out of every 1,000 public giveaways I've entered, or 0.1%.

Strangely, I've been entering giveaways there for 6 months, and 6 of my 8 wins were in the first two months.

I have entered nearly 1,000 giveaways and won 3 - two from the CAG group and one dev giveaway with absurdly high odds.

#13096 Blade

Blade

Trying to have a member title that's longer than MDerrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

That's a good amount of public giveaways! I've won 26 out of 2,100, but most of mine are group/private wins. A good rule of thumb if you want to win more is to stalk the Steam profiles of people who seem to win a lot and enter into their open giveaway groups. I generally don't go for "membership by invite only" groups because they usually have requirements (like ours) and it doesn't feel right to butter them up, seek their approval and whatnot, just for the games. "You look fit! Healthy, I mean. What's the url for Skyram?" Open ones are generally fair game, with the exception of those website-specific ones.

#13097 Neuropod

Neuropod

Fine work, skeleton!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

I'm going to assume the D&D Ultimate Pack from GameStop is probably the same as the GOG versions, but can anyone confirm this and, if so, whether this pack has ever been cheaper? Lack of Steam doesn't bother me at all since, y'know, they aren't on Steam.

GMG is having a Sonic deal. All the sonic games for ~21. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 I'm looking to pickup. You can also get stuff individually.
Tomorrow will be the Amazon Sega pack with Nights into Dreams subbed in for Sonic Adventure 1.

Got a link for this Amazon pack? I don't remember seeing this anywhere.

#13098 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

I'm going to assume the D&D Ultimate Pack from GameStop is probably the same as the GOG versions, but can anyone confirm this and, if so, whether this pack has ever been cheaper? Lack of Steam doesn't bother me at all since, y'know, they aren't on Steam.

I believe if it's the same pack as the one GG offers, it has been around $7 from them in the past, and possibly a little lower during a price mistake.

There should be a conversation about it a few pages back.

#13099 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

That's a good amount of public giveaways! I've won 26 out of 2,100, but most of mine are group/private wins. A good rule of thumb if you want to win more is to stalk the Steam profiles of people who seem to win a lot and enter into their open giveaway groups. I generally don't go for "membership by invite only" groups because they usually have requirements (like ours) and it doesn't feel right to butter them up, seek their approval and whatnot, just for the games. "You look fit! Healthy, I mean. What's the url for Skyram?" Open ones are generally fair game, with the exception of those website-specific ones.

Yeah I typically find myself with more points than I know what to do with, and since I own about half of the games on Steam, I can usually enter just about every giveaway presented. I prioritize Group giveaways (obviously), then enter the ones with the highest contributor values, then go for the straight up public ones.

Karma needs to catch up with me though, I haven't won anything in over 2 months, and I've given away 15 games on the site now. :)

#13100 Neuropod

Neuropod

Fine work, skeleton!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

I believe if it's the same pack as the one GG offers, it has been around $7 from them in the past, and possibly a little lower during a price mistake.

There should be a conversation about it a few pages back.

I did read that discussion, but the GG pack in question doesn't have the NWN games. Actually I don't even know if other sites have an equivalent bundle, guess I need to do a little more digging.

#13101 theemadgamer

theemadgamer

SILENCE! I keel you!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

I did read that discussion, but the GG pack in question doesn't have the NWN games. Actually I don't even know if other sites have an equivalent bundle, guess I need to do a little more digging.

Actually, they have both

D&D Anthology - The Master Collection

D&D NWN Complete

I snagged the first one during the holidays. It would have been nice to have NWN included but I didn't know about that collection at the time, D'oh!

#13102 MC Kage

MC Kage

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

Sims 3 for $7.50 sound hella good. What's the BL2 skins about?

Posted Image
Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 | XBL: MC Kage | Official NBA 2K13 PC Thread | The BackLoggery

#13103 Neuropod

Neuropod

Fine work, skeleton!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:56 AM

Actually, they have both

D&D Anthology - The Master Collection

D&D NWN Complete

I snagged the first one during the holidays. It would have been nice to have NWN included but I didn't know about that collection at the time, D'oh!

Yeah, but they were never bundled together. I was just trying to figure out if this is the best deal on this exact combination of games and as far as I can tell it is.

#13104 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:22 AM

Sims 3 for $7.50 sound hella good. What's the BL2 skins about?

New skins are dlc packs for $1 each I believe

#13105 theemadgamer

theemadgamer

SILENCE! I keel you!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:23 AM

Yeah, but they were never bundled together. I was just trying to figure out if this is the best deal on this exact combination of games and as far as I can tell it is.

Yeah, I was checking it out as well.

It appears the Gamestop version is the same as the GG Anthology: The Maser Collection.

That's the same one I currently own from GG, they've had it on sale for $9.99 and glitched for $4.99.

I own NWN1 retail somewhere around here and NWN 2 as a steam gift in my inventory. It sure would be nice to have them all in one place.....

Edited by theemadgamer, 23 January 2013 - 01:39 AM.

#13106 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:28 AM

ACK!

Thought I'd be getting seperate Sonic 1/2/Knuckles keys from GMG>

NOPE. Its DLC for the MegaDrive pack which I already purchased from Amazon for 5$. So effectively I've bought all the Sonic genesis games twice. O_O. F! and yet Steam gladly let me activate the Sonic 1/2/3 games twice, prolly as they are DLC for the MegaDrive entry.
Just paid 21$ for Sonic CD,Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 1, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 2, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Adventure DX. I already owned Sonic Generations.
Wow. Bad bad move on my part. Thought I was getting separate Sonic keys for 1/2/3. I got screwed with Amazon's MegaDrive pack and now screwed again. Lol.

Be warned.

The pack you bought from Amazon didn't contain Sonic 1/2/3-Knuckles. I know from first hand experience because I bought that same pack.

So no need to feel that you got screwed. It let you redeem the key because you didn't own the games yet.

#13107 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

Ugh. Wanted to play Sleeping Dogs so I downloaded it a couple hours ago, but the texture pack didn't download. Restarting Steam started the download, but now I have a 30 minute wait after already fiddling around for 30 minutes. That leaves me very little time to play. Boo Steam for not downloading the texture pack when I clicked the install button.

#13108 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:10 AM

Ugh. Wanted to play Sleeping Dogs so I downloaded it a couple hours ago, but the texture pack didn't download. Restarting Steam started the download, but now I have a 30 minute wait after already fiddling around for 30 minutes. That leaves me very little time to play. Boo Steam for not downloading the texture pack when I clicked the install button.

That sucks. Did you "buy" the free Texture Pack before downloading? I can say that the texture pack is totally worth it if you have the VRAM (made it look a good bit better on my venerable GTX 260)

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#13109 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:18 AM

That sucks. Did you "buy" the free Texture Pack before downloading? I can say that the texture pack is totally worth it if you have the VRAM (made it look a good bit better on my venerable GTX 260)

The store page has an "Install" button. When I clicked and nothing immediately installed I figured the textures were already downloaded in the main game and unlocked when I "bought" the pack. When I went in the options and tried to turn them on it kept saying I had to buy and install the pack. Right clicking the game in my library showed I already had it, but no option to download it. Last resort was restarting Steam and that kickstarted the 4gb update. Oh well, 3 minutes to go.

Edit: what kind of fps do you get with that 260? I just benchmarked at 34 set to high with textures on.

#13110 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:51 AM

The lack of faith you both have in your GTX 260 is making my 8800GT cry.

It's actually just making a depressing wheezing sound, mostly.

Which is the way that it breathes.