Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#13681 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:56 AM

Here's hoping GMG carries Skyrim Dragonborn for some sweet 16$ action!

That'd better be before coupon =p

Why are characters called toons? The art style?

I picked up the term while playing wow. I imagine the truth is pretty dull: its shorter to write than character. Also from a pen & paper RPG background character denotes depth and backstory that you are playing to. I believe the term "toon" entered mainstream lingo with Who Framed Rodger Rabbit (1988).

So, I buckled and grabbed Sleeping Dogs... since most of the DLC looks like crap. Is there any MUST HAVE DLC for Sleeping Dogs?.

High res texture pack.

The more recent versions of Steam Enhanced dropped the Steamgameprices pulled data and replaced it with a direct link which helps loads with the speed.

Simple but great point there -- direct link to the game's page on SGS. The slow part of SGS for me is always searching.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#13682 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:05 AM

Is Sleeping Dogs wicked hard to run at full specs unless you've got some crazy SLi/Crossfire setup?

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#13683 asheskitty

asheskitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:09 AM

Is Sleeping Dogs wicked hard to run at full specs unless you've got some crazy SLi/Crossfire setup?

http://www.rage3d.co...gs_tweak_guide/

Posted Image

Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#13684 imac2much

imac2much

The Angry Baker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:11 AM

Hm I don't think so. I have an old Lynnfield i5 overclocked to 3.8 ghz and a 7850, and I was able to play SD with the HD texture pack and all settings maxed out at 1080p resolution 60fps... actually, I think the only things I toned down were the ambient occlusion and some shadow resolution.

Otherwise I also played it at 1440p and lowered the AA since I don't think it's that useful at such a high resolution and was still able to get 50-60 fps most of the time. I think your computer has better specs than mine so you should be good. I was happy that SD was so well optimized, since GTA4 plays like crap on my machine even though it looks way worse... even SRTT had finicky framerates until I messed around with some settings.
Posted Image

#13685 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:12 AM

Probably. On a 670, it runs well on like 4x and high textures. At full, it was like 30 frames, but dips under to the 20s and teens quite a bit.

*Edit* Maybe it wasn't 4x. I had it at absolute max and had to turn it down a little bit.

elessar123.png

#13686 melvinmelon123

melvinmelon123

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:15 AM

Not at all in my experience. With:

i5 3330 (stock)
Radeon HD 7870 (factory OC)
8 GB RAM

I maxed everything at 1080 and never dipped below 55 FPS

Edit: It was developed with AMD in mind and because of that probable runs a bit better on those than on Nvidia cards, keep that in mind

#13687 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:19 AM

I played it with a Radeon HD 7970 + i5 2500k at 1920x1200. Set everything to max except for AA. Had to set AA to "high" instead of max, but other than that it usually stays at 60 FPS. Setting AA to max, I got like 20 less FPS.

#13688 oman19

oman19

Master of the Universe

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:22 AM

That'd better be before coupon =p

I picked up the term while playing wow.

Lol just was about to write the same. I picked it up playing WoW as well.

#13689 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:22 AM

I picked up the term while playing wow. I imagine the truth is pretty dull: its shorter to write than character. Also from a pen & paper RPG background character denotes depth and backstory that you are playing to. I believe the term "toon" entered mainstream lingo with Who Framed Rodger Rabbit (1988).

It sounds so... uneducated when applied to game characters when they're not cartoon characters.

High res texture pack.

Is there any way to disable it once you have it?
Selling Steam key: Race The Sun $1.10 (Cards) & Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine $1.10 (Cards) (Or both for $2.)
I'm also selling Indie Gala August bundles! Please PM me if you're interested. :)

#13690 spoderman

spoderman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

Yeah, you can disable it in the menu.

#13691 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

Doing a quick Google search about the "toon" question reveals... that the Internet is full of people who absolutely love to argue vehemently over the most mundane of things. So, it must be a day of the week ending in Y, I guess.

#13692 melvinmelon123

melvinmelon123

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

Yes. It's in the "Visuals" menu.

#13693 asheskitty

asheskitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:29 AM

It sounds so... uneducated when applied to game characters when they're not cartoon characters.

IDK, in CoH & Freedom Force they are. I consider it to mean little depth. It helps distinguish between the player and puppet.

There's an in game setting to enable/disable the high res texture pack. It really only requires VRAM. As texture packs should, it had negligible performance impact on my GTX 260. Recovering HDD space -- no clue, probably SOL.

#13694 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:54 AM

Yeah, you can disable it in the menu.

Yes. It's in the "Visuals" menu.

There's an in game setting to enable/disable the high res texture pack.

Thanks. :)

It really only requires VRAM. As texture packs should, it had negligible performance impact on my GTX 260. Recovering HDD space -- no clue, probably SOL.

I have an older gaming PC w/ a HD4850 that I'm going to hook up to the TV (not 1080p) that we have in the lounge. I'll probably play on that every now and then, so I didn't want to ruin any chance that it'll run OK.

IDK, in CoH & Freedom Force they are. I consider it to mean little depth. It helps distinguish between the player and puppet.

I interpret its use as indicating that the person using the term doesn't know what a cartoon is.
Selling Steam key: Race The Sun $1.10 (Cards) & Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine $1.10 (Cards) (Or both for $2.)
I'm also selling Indie Gala August bundles! Please PM me if you're interested. :)

#13695 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:56 AM

So this was posted in the Indie Game Stand thread but I figure some people might not check there and it's a game that is highly likely to get Greenlit thus getting in now gets you a Steam copy later for cheap.

Cognition is the current Indie Game stand game.

http://indiegamestand.com/

It's pay what you want, with a $1 minimum to get keys (so if you want a Steam key later make sure you pay at least $1). If you beat the Average, currently $1.43, you get a soundtrack and prequel comic.

Jane Jensen (who made some classic adventure games like Gabriel Knight) was involved in this project so it's pretty high profile and looks really well put together. I'm fairly certain it will get Greenlit at some point but everyone interested should go vote for it. http://steamcommunit...ls/?id=92915746

If you have any interest in adventure games at all then definitely get in on this.

Do note that they are having some problems with Paypal at the moment where the payment info isn't flowing through properly for some people so if you can pay with another form like Google or Amazon that would be advisable for the time being.

If you do Paypal and the game doesn't show up for you submit a support ticket and keep checking back as some people have had it show up for them after several hours. The issue is known by Indie Game Stand and they are working on it.

Just wanted to mention that I bought it using PayPal and it only took about fifteen minutes for the game to appear in my Games section, no support contact necessary. I got the bonuses for beating the average as well despite the short delay (which saw the average rise another two cents). If you're holding back because of the PayPal difficulties, have no fear.

#13696 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:57 AM

Nope, it all sucks. I'm not sure about Zodiac Tournament, it's the only one I haven't played.. but I can say for sure the rest of it isn't worth buying, even at 91% off (price glitch).

I passed this time, but I was tempted by the SWAT pack and the Street Racer pack as both offered extra side missions. Were they just not very engaging missions?

#13697 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:59 AM

The SWAT missions are one-off activities. A hostage situation where you snipe one dood. A car chase. A shootout. Stuff like that here and there.

There are ENOUGH FRICKEN RACES IN THE GAME ALREADY HOLY COW.

Nightmare in North Point wasn't fun.

I love SD but the DLC is just a swing and a miss

#13698 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:04 AM

They need a Sleep Dogs DLC with more Emma Stone.

elessar123.png

#13699 Jon7

Jon7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:10 AM

No way! There needs to be MORE races!!
That said, the DLC races aren't worth it, it's only three races and only one of them is any good.

#13700 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:13 AM

The SWAT missions are one-off activities. A hostage situation where you snipe one dood. A car chase. A shootout. Stuff like that here and there.

Nightmare in North Point wasn't fun.

I love SD but the DLC is just a swing and a miss

No way! There needs to be MORE races!!
That said, the DLC races aren't worth it, it's only three races and only one of them is any good.

Good info. Thanks.

#13701 fore1337

fore1337

Back to a normal avatar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:31 AM

Thanks guys, I'll hold off on any DLC (for now) :-)

#13702 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:32 AM

They need a Sleep Dogs DLC with more Emma Stone.

Nah. The dating elements in the game were beyond creepy.

#13703 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:37 AM

I thought they weren't fleshed out enough to be considered much of anything except a poorly executed mechanic to show more things on the map, let alone creepy. Definitely the weakest part of the game, imo.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#13704 spoderman

spoderman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

Nah. The dating elements in the game were beyond creepy.

Not only that, the game encourages you to cheat on each girl to get all of the mission rewards (I believe all of the rewards are worth it..).

#13705 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

I didn't find them creepy at all. You gotta be a playa to be the man.

#13706 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

I didn't find it creepy at all. I also didn't realize they were serious dates. One girl found out, and got all mad. I'm like, dude, we went on one brief date that may or may not have ended in sex. You're a crazy bitch.

elessar123.png

#13707 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

Spoiler

Exactly. She knew what it was.

But you might want to spoiler that. Not sure.

#13708 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:14 AM

Sleepin Dogs has creepy dating? Sweet.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#13709 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:14 AM

Did you guys not play the mission where Wei literally stalks a girl he barely knows and went on a single date with, and angrily confronts her about meeting another man?

#13710 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

Sleepin Dogs has creepy dating? Sweet.

No, you can't play as the chick. Hopes Deleted.

steam_sig.png