Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#14581 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

What's cool about TDU2 is....

Shaddup. D:

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#14582 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

Shaddup. D:

Not nice. :(

#14583 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

Quick tip if you want to add TDU2 as a non-Steam game. Add the testdrive.exe as the non steam game. Then run the "Uplauncher.exe" launcher (the normal TDU2 launcher) -- do not hit the play button. Then launch your TDU2 non-steam game from steam. Overlay works fine.

Spoiler
Looks like I missed some TDU2 mania.
Maybe I'll see some of y'all playing it online today! ;)

^_^ I'm "skitty"

Yes, the game-world textures and cars look outstanding.
I just can't run the game maxed-out on Very High on 1920x1080 - floats around 20-40 frames.
Though, I have it running on everything High on 1920x1080 - and that stays above 30 to around mid-40's.
My PC -> i7 950; 1 GB of GeForce GTX 560 Ti; 8 GB RAM; Win 7 64-bit.

Though, the character models - yeah, technically, they don't look so great. They're okay, I guess.

The character models are quite serviceable*. The extra effort went into the cars and road (where it belongs, imo).

*just uploaded reference in my screenshots ^_~

For those who are playing TDU2 - what songs do you like that are in the game?

Spoiler

I honestly haven't noticed the music much yet (a little tuned-out driving focused -- and incessant phone calls when I'm not). What I can say it the music fits. The music in MX vs ATV mostly gets on my nerves. RidgeRacer Unbounded has a dubstep / electo house soundtrack that fits well (and first dubstep in my racing games.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#14584 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:17 AM

@AshesKitty

Sure, the character models are serviceable - but nothing special.
Though, yeah - rest of the game looks really good, if you can find a setting that works for your system.

I still ain't bought Ridge Racer Unbounded yet - hope it goes on sale again somewhere.

Quick tip if you want to add TDU2 as a non-Steam game. Add the testdrive.exe as the non steam game. Then run the "Uplauncher.exe" launcher (the normal TDU2 launcher) -- do not hit the play button. Then launch your TDU2 non-steam game from steam. Overlay works fine.

Oooh, I only added TDU2 Launcher - probably why it don't work in Steam overlay.
Thanks for the advice!

EDIT 1:
Asked for Friend Request in TDU2. :D

EDIT 2:
I added both for TDU2 Launcher and EXE as Non-Steam games. Within Steam's properties for these filenames, I re-named TDU2 Launcher file as "Test Drive 2 Unlimited (Launcher)"; and the EXE file just as plain-old "Test Drive Unlimited 2" in Properties.
I'm lazy - so I launch w/in Steam the Launcher; then EXE - Steam-overlay works. :D

Edited by MysterD, 10 February 2013 - 03:10 PM.

#14585 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:56 AM

It was just in the last Gala bundle. I'm sure you can find it for $1 from someone here, if not cheaper.

or $5 in the trade thread from the cags that joined last week.
"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#14586 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:36 AM

So the last page is basically like:

MysterD: Test Drive Unlimited 2 is a great game. You should buy it.

Idiotekque: Ho hum, blah blah, whatever.

Asheskitty: Female characters! Lesbians!

Idiotekque: :bomb::censored::twoguns: I missed it!

steam_sig.png

#14587 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:38 AM

So the last page is basically like:

MysterD: Test Drive Unlimited 2 is a great game. You should buy it.

Idiotekque: Ho hum, blah blah, whatever.

Asheskitty: Female characters! Lesbians!

Idiotekque: :bomb::censored::twoguns: I missed it!

Perfect summary.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#14588 jazyje

jazyje

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:51 AM

bought TDU2 and it won't launch. I press the START DRM button and nothing happens. HELP!

#14589 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:29 AM

bought TDU2 and it won't launch. I press the START DRM button and nothing happens. HELP!

Make sure your firewall is OFF when trying to activate any game equipped w/ Securom DRM.
Then, once it activates, you can toss it back on.

#14590 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:18 AM

Yeah, all this talk is making me wish I had bought TDU2, and I suck at even semi-realistic racing games. I do like collecting the cars and driving them around a bit, though.

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#14591 juanjava

juanjava

El ojo en el cielo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:18 AM

On other stuff...

I forgot I made a question on the Gamestop Forums regarding backup of games...

This is my first time using Gamestop. I am a regular user of Steam, Origin, Desura, Capsule, GOG...

I bought the D&D Master Collection, and tried to do a Backup of Planescape Torment. I used the "archive" option and it succesfully created a .impulse file

Then, from the tools menu I tried the Restore option... and it gives me the "the archive could not be restored" message.

I see that there are posts from 2009 (https://forums.impul...iven.com/350804) stating this problem.

I am doing something wrong??

Got one answer:

No you are not doing anything wrong. This issue has been around since before GameStop acquired Impulse from Stardock and unfortunately it's not been something that's been resolvable as of yet. I know we've been looking at fixing it, but there is no ETA on when it will be done.

So, I don't think there will be a backup system anytime soon. They didn't even remove the (not working) option.

No more Gamestop games for me

#14592 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:14 AM

I'm usually a sucker for Japanese indie games (The only indie games that even remotely approach real game quality) but the latest Nyu Media release Croixleur does not do much to inspire.

It's on Greenlight but not Steam yet. Plays a bit like... well, if DmC is worth $50 and Splatterhouse is worth $20, Croixleur is worth $5. It knows it so it focuses just on arena combat. It should hit all the marks I need: Dodge button, enemy windups, fast combat, but it just doesn't work. Everything is weak. Combat feels like a slightly buffed version of Ys but nobody plays Ys for the combat outside of the boss fights which are amazing.

#14593 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:41 AM

I'm usually a sucker for Japanese indie games (The only indie games that even remotely approach real game quality) but the latest Nyu Media release Croixleur does not do much to inspire.

It's on Greenlight but not Steam yet. Plays a bit like... well, if DmC is worth $50 and Splatterhouse is worth $20, Croixleur is worth $5. It knows it so it focuses just on arena combat. It should hit all the marks I need: Dodge button, enemy windups, fast combat, but it just doesn't work. Everything is weak. Combat feels like a slightly buffed version of Ys but nobody plays Ys for the combat outside of the boss fights which are amazing.

I doubt I've ever told you this, RS, but I find your disdain for the indie game market absolutely delightful. Wrong, in my opinion, but fun to read.

#14594 Steampunk Willie

Steampunk Willie

Friendly Neighborhood Lurker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:40 AM

I doubt I've ever told you this, RS, but I find your disdain for the indie game market absolutely delightful. Wrong, in my opinion, but fun to read.

I'll second that... after I am done playing Hotline Miami with Tim Schafer.
Posted Image

#14595 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:58 AM

I'll second that... after I am done playing Hotline Miami with Tim Schafer.

#14596 sleeping_lights_on

sleeping_lights_on

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

Fuck just bought dear esther from gmg. capsule. fml. wanted steam key.

#14597 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

Should have just watched it on YouTube.

#14598 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

On other stuff...

I forgot I made a question on the Gamestop Forums regarding backup of games...

Got one answer:

So, I don't think there will be a backup system anytime soon. They didn't even remove the (not working) option.

No more Gamestop games for me

I don't think this ever got changed from back in the old Stardock-owned days of Impulse - but archiving a back-up within Impulse was OS-specific, back in the day.

If you archive a game on XP; the archive restoration is only gonna work on XP;
If you archive a game on Win 7; restore will only work on Win 7.

#14599 JakeNome

JakeNome

Shady Panda Peddler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

After putting 33 hours into DMC Devil May Cry, I figured I'd share my review for it:

Spoiler

tldr: DMC is GREAT! steam achieves, great story, visuals, combat, & plenty of replayability

I also decided to give Silverfall a shot, since I bandwagoned and bought it for cheap during the last big sale. First of all, make sure you install the base game first before installing the expansion (if you want to start with a level 1 character). Otherwise, you will have to verify the files in Earth's Awakening. But, before you even do that, don't bother installing the game. its terrible. Maybe I'm just spoiled by games of the genre. I played Diablo1,2,3, Torchlight 1,2, Titan Quests, Path of Exile, Sacred Gold, Hinterland, etc. Silverfall is real unenjoyable right from the start. I can't really give any exact reasons. It just isnt fun. Invisible walls over the map dont help much either. The visuals arent bad, with the cartoony cell-shaded look. But thats the only good thing about the game. Theres way too much uninteresting dialogue to click through for quests. The map doesnt adjust to how you have the screen rotated. I dont think its possible to put a potion in a hotbar. The crafting system looks way too complicated for me to give a damn about it. The skills are boring.

I would like to say that I am biased against old clunky games, but that isnt true. I played Sacred Gold recently for 20+ hours and enjoyed it. That game was clunky as hell and is quite old.

tldr#2: Silverfall is garbage, dont bother installing it. It is a huge download too.
WTS Steam Games Check my list!

Posted Image

#14600 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Bought TDU 2. You had me at car MMO. Then again I will buy almost any racing game considering it's not just complete a season.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#14601 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

Both times I installed this game (once as non-Steam and yesterday as Steam), I've had to fight the "Strict" vs. "Open" NAT problem. I did all kinds of re-jiggering of things: temporary disabling of firewall, reconfiguring router via HTTP (before I did this I didn't even know my router had a login!), rebooting x times because the UpLauncher.exe is an unkillable process in Windows 8, and something I did yesterday worked. I have no idea what worked but now when I fire up the launcher it shows me as Open. Yay! ;) I have one of six events won for the B4 championship (I had to run that race 10-15 times this morning before I was able to take first place--@#$! Ryan Wilder!!).

fs_pc.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#14602 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

Another day where you need to go to the News section to see what the Daily Deal is. I wonder if this is the new normal, or if they just don't have anybody there on the weekend to fix the front page.

Whatever the case, it looks like today's Daily Deal is: Unity of Command: Stalingrad Campaign - $19.99 $6.80

#14603 ezelkow1

ezelkow1

CAG in Limbo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

I guess they are having issues with their daily deal showing up, todays is:

Unity of Command: Stalingrad Campaign, 66% off, $6.80

http://store.steampo...com/app/218090/

-edit

guess we had the same idea at the same time :)

#14604 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

lol

If I knew that you were just about to post it, I would have let you do it. I only posted because it had been almost an hour and it didn't look like anybody else was gonna do it.

#14605 asheskitty

asheskitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

So I logged a *few* more hours in TDU2, aced both C7, both A7, & both B4 championships (as well as some side stuff). I really like it. I just wish I could select a harder difficulty (personal complaint, I'm a bit of a racing nut), I don't like being able to have a major screw-up or two and still take 1st place.

I really like the physics model! Going downhill (offroad) and picking up speed, the steering gets realistically loose whereas while going uphill it's tight and responsive. Powersliding feels good when I pull it off just right. Offroad at night is a hoot! It really is open world -- you can drive across the map offroad. Also the offroad races don't penalize you for leaving the trail and making your own path (unless you wind up on the wrong side of a guardrail next to a checkpoint. There is quite a bit of pretty scenery to look at when offroading, and there's even birds flying.

It looks like there is a considerable bit of sims like stuff, redecorating your apartments (walls, floor, furniture. You can repaint and put stickers on your vehicles. There's a lots of clothes to buy. Hairstylists (one in particular is a hoot, I'll have to remember to upload that screenshot). A series of go-photograph missions. There's even a cosmetic clinic (plastic surgeon?).

Spoiler

I took a hard look at it when it debuted on GG. It didn't look promising then.

Both times I installed this game (once as non-Steam and yesterday as Steam), I've had to fight the "Strict" vs. "Open" NAT problem. I did all kinds of re-jiggering of things: temporary disabling of firewall, reconfiguring router via HTTP (before I did this I didn't even know my router had a login!), rebooting x times because the UpLauncher.exe is an unkillable process in Windows 8, and something I did yesterday worked. I have no idea what worked but now when I fire up the launcher it shows me as Open. Yay! ;) I have one of six events won for the B4 championship (I had to run that race 10-15 times this morning before I was able to take first place--@#$! Ryan Wilder!!).

I'm sorry to hear you had so much trouble getting networking to work with it. One thing that comes to mind is to enable the UPnP option on your router (that allows applications to open the ports they need).

What vehicle are you driving? I also suggest turning assists off ("hardcore" in TDU2 parlance). I have a personal like of the Touareg, and a strong personal disdain for the H3 (IRL and in game). I haven't tried the new makes of Land Rover.

Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#14606 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

@AshesKitty & TDU2 players:

I think "Hardcore" assistance mode might be WAY too loose of a setting for some players - making it way too easy to spin-out; and way to easy lose control.
"Sports" assistance mode seems to play more similar to say NFS series & Burnout series (at their default settings, if you change nothing on those games).
It's the setting I've been using for TDU2.

#14607 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

I have a personal like of the Touareg, and a strong personal disdain for the H3 (IRL and in game). I haven't tried the new makes of Land Rover.

What! Why are you driving all SUVs? Are you a soccer mom, Ashes?

bZ2g3eF.png

#14608 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

Sweet! I didn't know he had his own profile. Thanks!

#14609 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

Sweet! I didn't know he had his own profile. Thanks!

Aww, I thought he was playing Hotline Miami, but he just shaved his beard.

#14610 asheskitty

asheskitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

@AshesKitty & TDU2 players:

I think "Hardcore" assistance mode might be WAY too loose of a setting for some players - making it way too easy to spin-out; and way to easy lose control.
"Sports" assistance mode seems to play more similar to say NFS series & Burnout series (at their default settings, if you change nothing on those games).
It's the setting I've been using for TDU2.

Quite possibly a good suggestion. My earlier point was (1) the TDU2 physics model / handling is great (contrary to metacritics) -- I only played it with assists off. And (2) assists can really chance handling and responsiveness, mess with them if you're not satisfied, it can make it a whole new game. On TDU2 "hardcore" I've only run into two squirrely handing situations so far the C4 class Mustang when accelerating hard in 1st and 2nd gear (really exaggerated) and when barreling downhill (realistic, appropriate).

What! Why are you driving all SUVs? Are you a soccer mom, Ashes?

Those filthy soccer balls aren't going in my Veyron. ^_~ Also I needed something with more ground clearance.