Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#14671 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

That's a good point. Whereas an MMO like SWTOR (or even Maple Story's constant group areas) forces you to party up (or hideously over-level) to beat certain missions, you can fully solo everything in TSW... with careful skillset design and strategy.

That said, it's still great for group play, and dungeons are set up as group areas and are not necessary whatsoever if you don't want to do them.

The problem w/ having a MMO game able to play solo and get through the entire game alone (or with bots) brings up this thought of mine...
...can we please also have an offline mode?

I'm glad games like Hellgate: London (retail box version from Flagship), Borderlands 1, Torchlight 2, Diablo 2, and TDU2 have an optional offline mode...
....so I can play the game offline and alone, when companies go away; and/or servers are down or go away forever.

#14672 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Town Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

The problem w/ having a MMO game able to play solo and get through the entire game alone (or with bots) brings up this thought of mine...

I'm glad games like Hellgate: London (retail box version from Flagship), Borderlands 1, Torchlight 2, Diablo 2, and TDU2 have an optional offline mode - so I can play the game offline and alone, when companies go away; and/or servers are down or go away forever.

Hellgate London was TERRIBLE....my roommate and I ran flagshipped.com back when that game was around. It lasted less than a year, I feel bad for the people that actually purchased the lifetime membership with those clowns.

#14673 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

I'm glad games like Hellgate: London (retail box version from Flagship), Borderlands 1, Torchlight 2, Diablo 2, and TDU2 have an optional offline mode - so I can play the game offline and alone, when companies go away; and/or servers are down or go away forever.

The thing is, this could be said of a lot of MMOs. It would be nice, but the game is still by all intents and purposes an MMO. The gaming experience would be severely gimped without online functions. For example, saving money without use of the online marketplace would be beyond tedious. As would equipping yourself with the strongest equipment to keep yourself at the top of your game, which is extremely vital due to the game's considerably high difficulty level and difficulty spikes between areas and worlds.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#14674 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

Hellgate London was TERRIBLE....my roommate and I ran flagshipped.com back when that game was around. It lasted less than a year, I feel bad for the people that actually purchased the lifetime membership with those clowns.

Despite it's flaws, I had a blast w/ Hellgate: London - probably b/c I got the game a few months after its reviews were brutal; and after a bunch of patches were behind it.

I don't know why anybody would've bought a Founder's Club thingy.

I just never liked their idea of, more or less, what would be a "lifetime" subscription fee for whenever they decided to actually finish and pop-out DLC.

#14675 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

The thing is, this could be said of a lot of MMOs. It would be nice, but the game is still by all intents and purposes an MMO. The gaming experience would be severely gimped without online functions. For example, saving money without use of the online marketplace would be beyond tedious. As would equipping yourself with the strongest equipment to keep yourself at the top of your game, which is extremely vital due to the game's considerably high difficulty level and difficulty spikes between areas and worlds.

Gimped or not, I'll still like to continue to play the game that I paid for...
...even though I don't have some or many of the online capabilities.

It's my problem if I'm saying running newer hardware, OS's, and software - and am trying to get an old game going.

That's just how I feel about "always online" DRM & MMO's.

At least when HGL died, I still got the SP, if I really want to go back to it, for some reason.
Or if some modders decided to screw around and mod the game.

#14676 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

You're soloing 5mans in The Secret World? Are you geared out to the nines or are you just a god?

#14677 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

You're soloing 5mans in The Secret World? Are you geared out to the nines or are you just a god?

That said, it's still great for group play, and dungeons are set up as group areas and are not necessary whatsoever if you don't want to do them.

Read?

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#14678 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

Then why are people singling out Secret World? Virtually every MMO these days is a single player game except the dungeons. Hell even WoW has been that way for years. MMOs that actually require interacting with another fleshbag are the rarity these days.

Edited by Corpekata, 12 February 2013 - 12:25 AM.

#14679 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

Then why did you single out Secret World? Virtually every MMO these days is a single player game except the dungeons. Hell even WoW has been that way for years. MMOs that actually require teamwork are the rarity these days.

My point was story wise. I'm not really big on just doing dungeons or knocking out giants for no reason. The story in TSW is far more enjoyable than any other MMO I've tried. So far with the story mode there is no need to group up, though it was fun the few times I tried it.

#14680 juanjava

juanjava

El ojo en el cielo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

I want to buy a Flatout game. Been reading about FO2 vs FO:UC. Seems that FO2 is A LOT more popular... it has a better online community, better modding... and FO:UC is sexier, but dead.

Now I don't know which one to get. I don't know if I'll be playing MP, but is nice to have the option. I didn't think on playing SSFIV:AE online when bought it some time ago... but after tried it, is awesome.

Now that I think of it, I've never played a racing game online

#14681 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

Then why did are people singling out Secret World? Virtually every MMO these days is a single player game except the dungeons. Hell even WoW has been that way for years. MMOs that actually require interacting with another fleshbag are the rarity these days.

I dunno, I haven't seen that in the MMOs I've played. Maple Story is an utter grind unless you take part in party missions... which obviously require a party. There are also loads of party missions, and almost all the ingame events are... party missions. A huge chunk of the missions in SWTOR (not to mention they're the only mission that give you good rewards) are... you guessed it, party based (you can do them solo, but it takes over-leveling and backtracking, generally). I want to try that game RaiderZ because I've heard awesome things about it, but that one apparently is extremely limited solo and almost completely group based.

TSW is literally 100% solo-able besides dungeons (and maybe lairs, although I've seen people jump into them solo just fine, provided they were very well set up and equipped). Hell, I've even heard of very skilled QL10/10.1 etc players soloing dungeons. That does seem crazy to me, but it has been done.

bZ2g3eF.png

#14682 juanjava

juanjava

El ojo en el cielo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

double post

#14683 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:01 AM

That's a good point. Whereas an MMO like SWTOR (or even Maple Story's constant group areas) forces you to party up (or hideously over-level) to beat certain missions, you can fully solo everything in TSW... with careful skillset design and strategy.

If you just want to do the content and don't care about XP or whatever you can do the flashpoints in SWTOR if you are overlevelled. Anyway, it's not a huge deal if you skip them or the heroics. There's still tons of soloable content. You can basically play it like KOTOR III if you want.

I put a kajillion hours into SWTOR and 95% of it was solo. TSW just really hasn't been grabbing me even after a number of tries. Of course it's all a YMMV sort of thing. I'm not really an MMO person to begin with but for a soloable one with heavy emphasis on story content I prefer SWTOR, though I admit as a free player they do nickel and dime the hell out of you, but it's EA.

steam_sig.png

#14684 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:10 AM

If you just want to do the content and don't care about XP or whatever you can do the flashpoints in SWTOR if you are overlevelled. Anyway, it's not a huge deal if you skip them or the heroics. There's still tons of soloable content. You can basically play it like KOTOR III if you want.

I put a kajillion hours into SWTOR and 95% of it was solo. TSW just really hasn't been grabbing me even after a number of tries. Of course it's all a YMMV sort of thing. I'm not really an MMO person to begin with but for a soloable one with heavy emphasis on story content I prefer SWTOR, though I admit as a free player they do nickel and dime the hell out of you, but it's EA.

Yeah, I forgot about flashpoints. What does annoy me is how rare/scarce good loot is on SWTOR unless you take part in party stuff. Hell, you're not even allowed to equip most purple equipment unless you subscribe.

Honestly though, the main reason I enjoy TSW is because of its heavy focus on story content. Every time you play you end up dicking around with us while we do side quests, all the while you feel kind of useless because pistols are generally very weak at first. They end up being a great secondary weapon because they deal clean cut damage with little emphasis on status effects (which is nice because endgame mobs usually resist status effects and utterly kill builds that use them). Early game though, and especially as a beginner weapon, pistols are difficult to use and boring. I didn't have near as much fun with the game (and actually felt like I knew what I was doing in combat) until I started using shotgun/AR/elemental weapons.

Obviously SWTOR is a lot easier to get into and enjoy though... since it's Star Wars. You really should play the story missions in TSW yourself with a new character without pistols. TSW has a much cleaner and quicker paced combat system than SWTOR as well, but if you're using pistols... kinda is hard to tell.

bZ2g3eF.png

#14685 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:20 AM

Yeah, I forgot about flashpoints. What does annoy me is how rare/scarce good loot is on SWTOR unless you take part in party stuff. Hell, you're not even allowed to equip most purple equipment unless you subscribe.

Honestly though, the main reason I enjoy TSW is because of its heavy focus on story content. Every time you play you end up dicking around with us while we do side quests, all the while you feel kind of useless because pistols are generally very weak at first. They end up being a great secondary weapon because they deal clean cut damage with little emphasis on status effects (which is nice because endgame mobs usually resist status effects and utterly kill builds that use them). Early game though, and especially as a beginner weapon, pistols are difficult to use and boring. I didn't have near as much fun with the game (and actually felt like I knew what I was doing in combat) until I started using shotgun/AR/elemental weapons.

Obviously SWTOR is a lot easier to get into and enjoy though... since it's Star Wars. You really should play the story missions in TSW yourself with a new character without pistols. TSW has a much cleaner and quicker paced combat system than SWTOR as well, but if you're using pistols... kinda is hard to tell.

I managed to get decent loot okay in SWTOR. It's kind of rare to find solo but you do come across it now and again and to me that kind of makes it even more special when you do get it. Plus there's always the auction house. Of course with F2P you have to pay extra to equip the really good gear. Oh EA... :roll: Also I like that the orange gear lets you wear what you want and keep the same gear and just keep upgrading it. Most people seem to trade in their commendations from the various planets when they are done for gear upgrades.

I do need to keep trying with TSW I suppose, especially since I paid $22 for it. :-P I'm not loving the first area with the whole Alan Wake meets Left 4 ead thing going on but I should just plough through that and get to the next area I suppose. Plus I need to do more of the story stuff. I mostly have just run around with other CAGs and shot zombies which is just boring as hell to me, I'm sorry. Also the silent protagonists kind of bugs me after playing through a smartass Twil'ek smuggler in SWTOR. 8-)

Anyway, we should shut up about MMOs before we get told on for being off topic, though I do own TSW on Steam and play SWTOR with the Steam overlay. ;)

Also I think I have exceeded my smiley quota for the day. :booty:

steam_sig.png

#14686 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Town Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:28 AM

It's possible. I bought it from someone here who was able to gift it to me at the discounted price. Not sure if I should mention who since that person might get a ton of PMs about it.

Note that owners of the Platinum version do not get the discount if they buy more gift copies. It's only for owners of the 2011 and 2012 versions.

You can always go the Cities XL 2011 page and see if it shows any of your Steam friends as owning it.

The Cities XL 2012 page is gone, with the Platinum replacing it so I don't know if there's an easy way to see who owns that game anymore.

You can apparently go to http://steamcommunit...thatplay/201760 and it should show you who you are friends with who own the 2012 version. You can't get there through the store page because they yanked it since the Platinum version more or less replaces 2012, but the community page is still up http://steamcommunity.com/app/201760.

Yes if anyone wants it for 85% off PM me and Ill help you out. Im probably heading to bed soon however

#14687 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:38 AM

I managed to get decent loot okay in SWTOR. It's kind of rare to find solo but you do come across it now and again and to me that kind of makes it even more special when you do get it. Plus there's always the auction house. Of course with F2P you have to pay extra to equip the really good gear. Oh EA... :roll: Also I like that the orange gear lets you wear what you want and keep the same gear and just keep upgrading it. Most people seem to trade in their commendations from the various planets when they are done for gear upgrades.

I do need to keep trying with TSW I suppose, especially since I paid $22 for it. :-P I'm not loving the first area with the whole Alan Wake meets Left 4 ead thing going on but I should just plough through that and get to the next area I suppose. Plus I need to do more of the story stuff. I mostly have just run around with other CAGs and shot zombies which is just boring as hell to me, I'm sorry. Also the silent protagonists kind of bugs me after playing through a smartass Twil'ek smuggler in SWTOR. 8-)

Anyway, we should shut up about MMOs before we get told on for being off topic, though I do own TSW on Steam and play SWTOR with the Steam overlay. ;)

Also I think I have exceeded my smiley quota for the day. :booty:

Yeah, the first part of Solomon Island is basically just zombieland with some Draugs (sea monsters) thrown in. As soon as you get to Savage Coast, the next area, there's a good deal of other enemies. There's always a spattering of zombies between Kingsmouth, Savage Coast, and Blue Mountain, but they become an afterthought very quickly.

You also should take a crack at some investigation missions. They're extremely rewarding XP wise, and you really really have to use your head (and try your best not to cheat). I've never seen a game with such well put together, modernized puzzle missions.

bZ2g3eF.png

#14688 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

My point was story wise. I'm not really big on just doing dungeons or knocking out giants for no reason. The story in TSW is far more enjoyable than any other MMO I've tried. So far with the story mode there is no need to group up, though it was fun the few times I tried it.

Agreed I'm really enjoying TSW. Definitely, think you really need to experiment with builds to get the most from the game.

Yeah, the first part of Solomon Island is basically just zombieland with some Draugs (sea monsters) thrown in. As soon as you get to Savage Coast, the next area, there's a good deal of other enemies. There's always a spattering of zombies between Kingsmouth, Savage Coast, and Blue Mountain, but they become an afterthought very quickly.

You also should take a crack at some investigation missions. They're extremely rewarding XP wise, and you really really have to use your head (and try your best not to cheat). I've never seen a game with such well put together, modernized puzzle missions.

Zombies definitely become an afterthought once you get to Savage Coast. Definitely, things much worse than zombies there. :lol: AHHHH WTF IS THAT?!?!?? RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly, we have agreed the investigation missions are really where the game shines. I still can't believe some of stuff I've had to research to figure out some of those puzzles.

Has anyone else been winning more often on Steamgifts.com?

In the last week I have won:

Home
Krater
Fable The Lost Chapters
Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing
Grotesque Tactics 2 Dungeons and Donuts

Prior to this I won a game 2 weeks ago and then before that it had been 3 months.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14689 jatan11t

jatan11t

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:12 AM

Agreed I'm really enjoying TSW. Definitely, think you really need to experiment with builds to get the most from the game.

Zombies definitely become an afterthought once you get to Savage Coast. Definitely, things much worse than zombies there. :lol: AHHHH WTF IS THAT?!?!?? RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly, we have agreed the investigation missions are really where the game shines. I still can't believe some of stuff I've had to research to figure out some of those puzzles.

Home
Krater
Fable The Lost Chapters

Prior to this I won a game 2 weeks ago and then before that it had been 3 months.

At this point, I'm winning so many games that I have stopped buying any for myself.

#14690 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:21 AM

I used to solo City of Heroes quite a bit back when I played that several years ago. I pretty much took a DM/Regen Scrapper to 50 on my own. I couldn't take on AVs and some other Monsters on my own, but for the most part it was quite easy with that build. Ok, I did solo one AV. But it was merely the CK and I did have a pet with me.

I also did a lot of solo stuff @ lvl 50 with an AR/Dev Blaster. I feel like it was a bit of a weak class, but somewhat satisfying to slowly work through an area picking guys off. I used a lot of trip mine/teleport foe to get through the easier guys, then I'd lay a ton of trip mines in a row and pull bosses to me using snipe.

#14691 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:54 AM

Posted Image

#14692 Steampunk Willie

Steampunk Willie

Friendly Neighborhood Lurker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:00 AM

At this point, I'm winning so many games that I have stopped buying any for myself.

Home
Krater
Fable The Lost Chapters

Are you two in a lot of private groups? I rarely win...
Posted Image

#14693 Malibuz0r

Malibuz0r

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

Is Mafia II worth picking up from Gamefly? It's $7.49 - discount(GFDFEB20) = 6$.

Edit: Same question for "Spec Ops: The Line". Same price too

#14694 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

Is Mafia II worth picking up from Gamefly? It's $7.49 - discount(GFDFEB20) = 6$.

I've played and loved both games for various reasons. I believe both tell a great story and although on the shorter side, are incredibly fun while they do last. Just an FYI, you can likely pick up Spec Ops for few bucks in the trading thread, since it was in a bundle with a couple other games a while back.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#14695 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

Mafia 2 is okay. It feels like a really generic blend of every gangster movie you've ever seen, and never really forges much of its' own identity. It feels about due for a MSRP price drop, as it's been hitting that 7.50 sale price for what seems like over a year now.

#14696 Dreamweaver7

Dreamweaver7

Valar Morghulis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

With the Codemasters sale running over at GG, I'm predicting a publisher sale on pretty much the same games, but on Steam. Pricing may be worse though, depending on whether or not you have the 20% Debacle Discount on GG. Since I don't have it I'll hold out for a competing Steam sale. Really want to snag Grid and Fuel, but unwilling to have them off Steam.

Edit: Somehow I misread it - Fuel and Grid are Steam keys. Now I have to think about holding out for a bigger discount than 33% or not. Don't recall these two games being discounted at 75% on Steam recently.

Edited by Dreamweaver7, 12 February 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#14697 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

They're only on sale at GG because GG just signed a deal to sell their games. I don't think they're in some promotional mode, especially given the "discounts" for GG all appear to be 33 percent.

#14698 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Yes to Mafia II. No firsthand experience with Spec Ops yet.

Mafia II tells a fun story and most of the game mechanics work really well (sticky cover not so much, but everything else does).

fs_pc.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#14699 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

Edit: Somehow I misread it - Fuel and Grid are Steam keys. Now I have to think about holding out for a bigger discount than 33% or not. Don't recall these two games being discounted at 75% on Steam recently.

Yeah, it's been a while since they've had any really good sales on some of the Codemasters games on Steam. I've had GRiD 3 on my wishlist for an eternity.

76561197971332172.png

#14700 Junpei

Junpei

Think big. Start small. Move fast.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

I would have liked Mafia II more if it delivered what I was expecting: a sandbox GTA-like game with a crime movie inspired story. Instead, while the story gives indeed a strong Goodfellas vibe and TPS gameplay is serviceable, the game's world is incredibly shallow and devoid of activities, apart from stealing cars and wrecking them for money and rob a shop or two just for the sake of it. There are outfits to buy and/or unlock, but you cannot even redecorate your hideout which, albeit trivial, I've always found a fun thing to do.
So, you're limited to drive somewhere, do your thing and drive back home, avoiding the occasional cops/criminals/whatever. Rinse and repeat. Again, and again, and again.
I actually enjoyed what I've played somehow, just be warned that it can get extremely repetitive and can induce disappointment at the thought of what it could have been...

Spec Ops, from what little I've seen, is more or less along the same "Line" (:booty:), but at least is straight to the point and don't require you to drive hundreds of miles before being able to shoot someone :lol:
Posted Image

Check your PMs. I left that one out of the group that went under my pits.