Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#14701 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

Aliens: Colonial Marines is obviously live on Steam today. I posted this in the pre-order thread and am copying it here as a Public Service Announcement for anyone considering the game:

Someone just pointed out to me that Gearbox didn't have a thing to do with the entire singleplayer portion of the Aliens: Colonial Marines - they just worked on the multiplayer portion. It seems that Timegate Studios is responsible for that.

Funny that Timegate isn't even mentioned (that I saw) on the official site http://www.sega.com/...olonialmarines/ but if you go to Timegate Studios you'll see their name credited http://www.timegate.com/.

That all seems a bit misleading to me...

Edit: here's more: http://www.eurogamer...-studios-report

Comments from an ex-Gearbox developer dug up by Superannuation suggest that the majority of the game was outsourced to TimeGate Studios, developer of downloadable console shooter Section 8: Prejudice and various FEAR expansion packs.

"Hate to say it, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too high for Colonial Marines," the ex-dev wrote last year. "I used to work at Gearbox, and the development of that game has been a total train wreck, going on what, six years now?

"Gearbox isn't even making the game, except for the multiplayer. Primary development was outsourced to TimeGate Studios, which has a less than stellar past."

76561197971332172.png

#14702 deftrance

deftrance

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

Also, anyone can Raptr add me if they'd like.

Added you on Raptr.

#14703 Seraphym

Seraphym

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Aliens: Colonial Marines is obviously live on Steam today. I posted this in the pre-order thread and am copying it here as a Public Service Announcement for anyone considering the game:

Someone just pointed out to me that Gearbox didn't have a thing to do with the entire singleplayer portion of the Aliens: Colonial Marines - they just worked on the multiplayer portion. It seems that Timegate Studios is responsible for that.

Funny that Timegate isn't even mentioned (that I saw) on the official site http://www.sega.com/...olonialmarines/ but if you go to Timegate Studios you'll see their name credited http://www.timegate.com/.

That all seems a bit misleading to me...

Edit: here's more: http://www.eurogamer...-studios-report

That is kind of disapointing and it's the first I've heard of it too. However, I just played through the first two campaign missions and had a lot of fun. The graphics aren't amazing, but the atmosphere and story are great so far.

#14704 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

Has anyone else been winning more often on Steamgifts.com?

I had them retroactively cut the value of my contributions (SRTT Franchise Pack from 120 to 50*) which took me under the $500 threshold for several give-aways so my feelings for SG right now can best be described as 'surly'

*This was the 2012 Summer Sale Franchise pack which was valued at $120, not the 2012 Winter sale "Complete" edition.

#14705 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

I loved Mafia II, but yeah, don't go in expecting a sandbox or open-world diversity. The spit and polish did it for me, not its substance. Music's great, visuals great, voice-acting outstanding, story cliched but solid.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#14706 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

If it really isn't made by Gearbox and that's not a hoax, then it could only be an improvement! Heyo!

#14707 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

Spec Ops is outstanding story, acting, and atmosphere with serviceable third person cover shooting gameplay. 5-7 hours to beat with multiple difficulty levels (challenge is adequately stiff on normal). Try to avoid turning it down to easy as it lessens the impact of the experience as you don't have to make use of cover as much or environmental traps to progress. The multiplayer is completely dead thou.

Guardian_owl.png

#14708 BoringPat

BoringPat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

Alpha Protocol $3.00 DRM free on Gamersgate. 1 day only.
Posted Image
Games are meant to be bought and hoarded!

#14709 Blade

Blade

Trying to have a member title that's longer than MDerrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

Click here to give a coupon a good home.

#14710 motoki

motoki

Goofy Genie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Midweeks are Fable franchise 75% off (including the dog costume)
Awesomenauts 66% off
Daily is Trine 2 75% off

steam_sig.png

#14711 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Fable 75% and I think Awesomenauts for 66%, the other midweek choice is a little wonky for the moment.

Guardian_owl.png

#14712 motoki

motoki

Goofy Genie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

I think this is the first time Trine 2: The Goblin Menance DLC has been discounted by itself, isn't it?

steam_sig.png

#14713 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Click here to give a coupon a good home.

Thanks! Got the Dejobaan coupon. :D

#14714 Neuropod

Neuropod

Fine work, skeleton!

• CAGiversary!

Trine 2 at 75% off is the daily deal, and for the first time the Goblin Menace DLC is 75% off too ($1.99.)

Edit: too slow lol.

#14715 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

wow, lots of different iterations of bundles on that page, the Trine 2 franchise pack is $4.99 for both Trine 2 and the DLC. Is more DLC planned or is that the last of it? If more is planned I'll just wait.

Guardian_owl.png

#14716 icedrake523

icedrake523

Good News Everyone!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

Anyone considering buying Fable 3, don't.

#14717 tristanstewart

tristanstewart

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

Anyone considering buying Fable 3, don't.

i was. why do you say that?

#14718 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

i was. why do you say that?

It's not a super terrible game but it is pretty bland.

But the real reason is, that's a terrible price. It was just on sale for 10 bucks on Amazon for a week, and that came with the first game too.

#14719 tristanstewart

tristanstewart

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

It's not a super terrible game but it is pretty bland.

But the real reason is, that's a terrible price. It was just on sale for 10 bucks on Amazon for a week, and that came with the first game too.

gotcha. i noticed after the fact that the price wasnt as low as i wouldve thought for a deal. well, for a good deal.

#14720 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

I enjoyed Fable III quite a bit actually. Granted, the first two are way better with the Lost Chapters being the standout of the bunch, but I don't think Fable III is a bad game by any means. Lackluster Fable game perhaps, but it's still a fun little RPG on its own, even if it is lacking in several areas.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#14721 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

I'm thinking about getting this one.

I spent a lot of hours on Fable 3. I'm no RPG expert but I liked it enough, though at a certain point I lost interest and never went back.

#14722 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

I enjoyed Fable III quite a bit actually. Granted, the first two are way better with the Lost Chapters being the standout of the bunch, but I don't think Fable III is a bad game by any means. Lackluster Fable game perhaps, but it's still a fun little RPG on its own, even if it is lacking in several areas.

This, exactly.

I'd say it's still worth $10 for that Fable charm and a nicely made game. If anything I think it's too simplistic and limited in its approach, but it's still a fun game with some very unique elements to it, as well as a decision system at points that really pull at your moral fibres.

Terraria - $2 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#14723 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

I'm thinking about getting this one.

I spent a lot of hours on Fable 3. I'm no RPG expert but I liked it enough, though at a certain point I lost interest and never went back.

My favorite part of Fable 3 was the "Being The King" Part.
Fable 3 was good, but it just was nowhere as fresh and exciting as Fable: The Lost Chapters.
Plus, Fable 3 in some ways is "Streamlined" even when compared to Fable: TLC.

I still wish Fable 2 would hit the PC...

EDIT:

This, exactly.

I'd say it's still worth $10 for that Fable charm and a nicely made game. If anything I think it's too simplistic and limited in its approach, but it's still a fun game with some very unique elements to it, as well as a decision system at points that really pull at your moral fibres.

Agreed.

#14724 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

That's a freaking steal!
Such an underrated cult classic.
And it's DRM-FREE, too!

#14725 HisDivineOrder

HisDivineOrder

Embrace the Dealness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

Trine 2 at 75% off is the daily deal, and for the first time the Goblin Menace DLC is 75% off too ($1.99.)

Edit: too slow lol.

This makes me wonder if Trine 2 (and its DLC?) is about to be in a Humble Bundle.

#14726 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

This makes me wonder if Trine 2 (and its DLC?) is about to be in a Humble Bundle.

this is why i havent bought it

I would bet it will be...and soon

Edited by Drabelincoln, 13 February 2013 - 12:45 AM.

#14727 motoki

motoki

Goofy Genie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

That's a freaking steal!
Such an underrated cult classic.
And it's DRM-FREE, too!

Which to some of us in this thread is a minus, not a plus. :-P

But anyway, yeah it's an underrated game and a steal at that price. I'm glad I got in on Steam for $2 though.

steam_sig.png

#14728 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:37 AM

Indie Royale has opened voting for which of two prior bundles will be rerun.

Choose between The Difficult 2nd and The St. Patrick's Day bundles to be re-run as the Chosen Bundle.

Difficult 2nd Bundle has NightSky (PC+Mac+Linux); Fate of the World (PC + Mac); Scoregasm (PC+Mac+Linux); Ben There, Dan That! (PC) and Time Gentlemen, Please! (PC)

St. Patrick's Day Bundle has Hard Reset (PC); Jolly Rover (PC+Mac); Vertex Dispenser (PC+Mac) and DLC Quest (PC+Mac).

Just so you all know ... we're running the Chosen Bundle poll on Twitter, Facebook and Google+ and the winner will come from the totals across all three.

I believe I have both of those. Separate from this, they are having a Valentine's 2.0 Bundle starting Thursday.

Thanks for reminding me. This is the main reason I haven't picked it up on sale yet, the other being that I never bothered to finish the first game.

#14729 jazyje

jazyje

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:44 AM

Both times I installed this game (once as non-Steam and yesterday as Steam), I've had to fight the "Strict" vs. "Open" NAT problem. I did all kinds of re-jiggering of things: temporary disabling of firewall, reconfiguring router via HTTP (before I did this I didn't even know my router had a login!), rebooting x times because the UpLauncher.exe is an unkillable process in Windows 8, and something I did yesterday worked. I have no idea what worked but now when I fire up the launcher it shows me as Open. Yay! ;) I have one of six events won for the B4 championship (I had to run that race 10-15 times this morning before I was able to take first place--@#$! Ryan Wilder!!).

I wish I KNEW what you did. I've wasted probably 5 hours trying to get TDU2 to work, including disabling firewall, re-downloading it 3 times, still no success. the game simply won't start for me. WHY AM I THE UNLUCKY ONE??? What can I do to play the game?

#14730 motoki

motoki

Goofy Genie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:47 AM

Indie Royale has opened voting for which of two prior bundles will be rerun.

I kept going to their page going 'Huh? I don't see it' until I realized it's a social media only poll.

Is it that hard to put up a poll on their website?

steam_sig.png